PDA

View Full Version : Pergo 'wood' flooring

CrazieAccord
2011-07-19, 10:20 AM
Has anyone installed any kind of Pergo type laminate flooring before? We're looking to install about 300 sqft. I'm learning that it's not as cut and dry as I originally thought. I did find a good deal on the flooring though, $400 for 480 sqft, but the trim, reducers and covers are almost as much as the flooring itself.

This is what I was looking to buy...
http://www.homedepot.com/Special-Values-Promotions-Flooring-Pallets/h_d1/N-5yc1vZby4v/R-202631663/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

Anyway, I guess I'm looking for any kind of tips or hints, anything anyone wants to share about laminate flooring and/or installation.

ItalionStallion888
2011-07-19, 10:34 AM
my folks have pergo floors in the kitchen and hall way, it's just about done minus the molding. It looked like a bitch to do (cutting and sizing wise)

JDLM
2011-07-19, 10:54 AM
My parents did the lake house and my dad said he would never do it again due to all the little crap involved :lol: where are you looking at doing? Also try lumber liquidators they usually have deals

CrazieAccord
2011-07-19, 01:13 PM
My parents did the lake house and my dad said he would never do it again due to all the little crap involved :lol: where are you looking at doing? Also try lumber liquidators they usually have deals
entry, kitchen, dining room. I'll check that out, thanks.

black797
2011-07-19, 02:08 PM
I've done it on 3 separate houses and it's fairly straight forward but can be a bitch. The tools they sell suck and if you get any bit careless you can tear up the planks easily during install. I don't much care for pergo either as it sounds tinny when you walk on it. You should be able to get a pretty decent deal on hardwood (~2.00) sq foot here soon at NFM.

06g35meister
2011-07-19, 02:12 PM
^^ tools are a bitch AND you will never see your money out of them in resale.

but you will on true hardwoods, even if it is the snap together type.

ItalionStallion888
2011-07-19, 02:29 PM
I've done it on 3 separate houses and it's fairly straight forward but can be a bitch. The tools they sell suck and if you get any bit careless you can tear up the planks easily during install. I don't much care for pergo either as it sounds tinny when you walk on it. You should be able to get a pretty decent deal on hardwood (~2.00) sq foot here soon at NFM.

My folks went to NFM and bought theirs as well. I think they paid around 3k for everything

biggerandbetter
2011-07-19, 03:13 PM
I have that exact floowing in my kitchen. It really wasnt that hard to install. I ran up to carpet, and you can use a regular transition strip to meet up. I also used regular trim around the walls and it covers it perfectly. I installed my 16x8 kitchen in a few hours.

The trick is to get the plastic install kit they have at the store. It ran less than 10 bucks. You just have to be careful, press fown on the plastic hammer chuck so it does not ride up while you are snapping the pieces together. I think I chipped 2 boards in the kitchen when learning, so I saved them and cut the bad parts off for use at the ends where I didnt need a full strip. It looks good, and is cheap. Ive dropped countless things on it and it has not chipped or flaked. Go for it!

you can see kitchen pictures in the link below to kind of get an idea

http://searchne.npdodge.com/index.cfm?action=listing_detail&property_id=21106315&searchkey=566d0198-07fc-f87e-f222-56bfe4706040&npp=20&sr=1

white01ss
2011-07-19, 04:01 PM
I installed it in my old house, and it was a very simple process. Don't make it harder then it is, it snaps together and like it was said before, you can knock out a room in a few hours.

CrazieAccord
2011-07-19, 04:22 PM
my dogs would destroy hardwoods. I also think hardwoods may be over the price point of my house...if that makes sense.

I have that exact floowing in my kitchen. It really wasnt that hard to install. I ran up to carpet, and you can use a regular transition strip to meet up. I also used regular trim around the walls and it covers it perfectly. I installed my 16x8 kitchen in a few hours.

The trick is to get the plastic install kit they have at the store. It ran less than 10 bucks. You just have to be careful, press fown on the plastic hammer chuck so it does not ride up while you are snapping the pieces together. I think I chipped 2 boards in the kitchen when learning, so I saved them and cut the bad parts off for use at the ends where I didnt need a full strip. It looks good, and is cheap. Ive dropped countless things on it and it has not chipped or flaked. Go for it!

you can see kitchen pictures in the link below to kind of get an idea

http://searchne.npdodge.com/index.cfm?action=listing_detail&property_id=21106315&searchkey=566d0198-07fc-f87e-f222-56bfe4706040&npp=20&sr=1

Looks great! Thank you very much for your input!

I currently have white trim everywhere, should I reuse the white trim or put wood color trim down? The other issue is that the door trim goes all the way to the floor and is white. I'm not sure how it's all supposed to mesh together.

Hardwoods are going in these rooms:
http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v4779/237/34/82400889/n82400889_32676800_1690443.jpg
http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/164867_602822028485_82400889_34452738_8213810_n.jp g
(that little half wall is going away)

plus the entry way that is the same color as the kitchen.