PDA

View Full Version : Rebuilding your power tool batteries

I like engines
2011-07-30, 05:02 PM
My 10+yr old craftsman cordless drill batteries are finally done. Doin a little online research it looks like I should be able to rebuild it pretty easy. Anyone ever done such a thing? While I'm at it I can use a little longer lifed battery also.

Hibidi-Shibidi
2011-08-01, 03:50 PM
I've never looked into rebuilding the batteries myself. That sounds a little beyond what I would want to get in to.

And 10yr old Craftsman technology is pretty far behind as it sits. Look in to newer Ridgid stuff. They have lifetime warranty on the tool and the battery and I'm sure they are a lot heftier of a tool that the 10yr old craftsman.

I like engines
2011-08-03, 08:46 AM
I don't disagree with you at all. BUT....I can pick up all the cells I need for 20 bux and they'll last 3 times as long. I used to race rc cars so soldering them all together is nothing to me.

OTOH, should I look at lithium batteried tools? Or do most of them still use nicd/nimh?

The Lox
2011-08-03, 01:15 PM
I don't disagree with you at all. BUT....I can pick up all the cells I need for 20 bux and they'll last 3 times as long. I used to race rc cars so soldering them all together is nothing to me.

OTOH, should I look at lithium batteried tools? Or do most of them still use nicd/nimh?

Most are moving towards lithium. The thing I like about lithium is they are either dead or not, there isn't a whole lot of power loss as they drain...

Hibidi-Shibidi
2011-08-03, 02:58 PM

I suppose if the tool still runs strong, then $20 is a cheap investment to keep it running.

Like Lox said, most everything is moving toward LI. The LI stuff is legit too. Runs strong up until it quits. Short recharge times are also a plus.

fast895ohstang
2011-08-03, 07:24 PM
LiIon also doesn't have a "memory" i refresh my batteries on a daily basis as i used them for about 6-7hours a day

gftgrill
2011-08-06, 01:09 PM
I recently took two 18v Bosch batteries to batteries+ and had them rebuild them.

They charged 49.99 each and they come with a warranty.

I looked at doing it myself and I don't have the right tools for soldering. From what I've read it's not uncommon for someone to mess up during the soldering process and get the new cells too hot. then when they use them, the catch fire.

not saying this will happen to you, for me I'd rather pay someone else to be liable if something happens.

but since you said it's a drill (I'm assuming that you don't have any other tools that use this batter) you'd probably be better off just buying a new drill with batteries. For me, I have 6 tools that share the batteries and I couldn't justify spending 350+ to replace everything in my set over a couple dead batteries.