PDA

View Full Version : Painting wood kitchen cabinets white

dtheo
2011-09-04, 05:17 AM
Anyone painted their ugly wood kitchen cabinets white? Advice and techniques would be appreciated.

BuddyLee
2011-09-04, 10:48 AM
Anyone painted their ugly wood kitchen cabinets white? Advice and techniques would be appreciated.

My wife wants to do something like this to ours. Home Depot sells a kit for this, called Cabinet Transformations or something like that. Might be worth checking out.

Here's one of many reviews you can find on the product out on the interwebs.

http://www.casasugar.com/Review-Rust-Oleum-Cabinet-Transformations-Cabinet-Refinishing-Products-14570112

The Lox
2011-09-04, 11:25 AM
Painted cabinets ALWAYS chip, regardless of what color you paint them. So as long as you are ready to be doing touchups all the time go for it. Ours were painted white before we moved in this house and they need to be gone over and touched up. I personally hate the idea of painted cabinets and would replace these in 2 seconds if I could..

polock4life
2011-09-06, 01:50 AM
use a good enamel... It's all in the prep work hoss... This is where it will either look like shit or like they came that way from the factory. I would never use anything other than enamel for refinishing cabinets. Take your time and remove all the hardware and be patient.

Sand the fuck out of them, and then prime them.

Enamel the first coat... then lightly sand

Apply one or two more coats, and they will never EVER chip (unless you take a knife to them) and will be durable as fuck.

Use a "mini roller" for application of all flat surfaces, cut it in on portions where you can't roll. If you have access to the ability to spray, this is hands down your best option as they will look PERFECT!

I did this with my garage cabinets that I got from my folks when they remodeled there kitchen. I didn't take my time, but they look good and are stupid durable. I also went ahead and sanded/enameled my garage fridge at the same time so it would match.

You could pick up some good enamel at a fair price... lots of stuff in the "miss tint" section of paint stores.

CrazieAccord
2011-09-08, 03:11 PM
I painted all of mine white from 1968 dark wood. They really haven't chipped much at all. In the last two years I've only had to do touch ups once on a couple of heavily used cabinet doors.

Before:
http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v4779/237/34/82400889/n82400889_32676809_159167.jpg

After:
http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/166609_602822008525_82400889_34452737_2016184_n.jp g

Edit: I didn't sand or anything, just took the doors off and painted everything. Although there is about 3-4 coats on everything. Mainly on the stuff around the stove because the grease stains kept seeping through the paint.

slammeds10
2011-09-08, 03:46 PM
I would highly recommend Benjamin Moore satin Impervo. Hands down the best oil based enamel.

polock4life
2011-09-08, 11:27 PM
I would highly recommend Benjamin Moore satin Impervo. Hands down the best oil based enamel.

This! Finally someone else who knows something about benji...

Again if you prep, they won't chip or peel.

slammeds10
2011-09-12, 09:19 PM
This! Finally someone else who knows something about benji...

Again if you prep, they won't chip or peel.

I painted houses for a little over 6 years before I got into a different trade. I used it in my own home when I bought it in 04 (built in the 50s), and everything still looks great. Very very little yellowing.

fast895ohstang
2011-09-15, 01:00 AM
I painted all of mine white from 1968 dark wood. They really haven't chipped much at all. In the last two years I've only had to do touch ups once on a couple of heavily used cabinet doors.

edit: I didn't sand or anything, just took the doors off and painted everything. Although there is about 3-4 coats on everything. Mainly on the stuff around the stove because the grease stains kept seeping through the paint.

i was gonna say something about yours and how much better it made the kitchen look. mine are original cabinets repainted white and they have been that way for atleast 6 years while i have been here. No chipping:thumbsup:

KC_Si
2011-09-15, 10:02 AM
My biggest issue is that if you are going to take the time to strip, sand, and all of the other prep work involved with getting them ready for paint then why not just stain them?

Check my thread in this section to see how we are taking our ugly dated cabinets and having them updated to look like something we'd really like to have.

It's not exactly difficult work... just time consuming.

polock4life
2011-09-15, 01:09 PM
I do agree w/ this, but sometimes the doors are simply too dated to look updated w/ a newer stain that is popular today. Also many brand new homes have a white or off white cabinet, so it's not like it's just a quick fix for some. White cabinets are not for everyone, but many new homes receive them.

For the cabinets pictured in this thread, I would have made them all white and changed the hinges and front hardware with something much lighter in color.

CrazieAccord
2011-09-19, 04:27 PM
I do agree w/ this, but sometimes the doors are simply too dated to look updated w/ a newer stain that is popular today. Also many brand new homes have a white or off white cabinet, so it's not like it's just a quick fix for some. White cabinets are not for everyone, but many new homes receive them.

For the cabinets pictured in this thread, I would have made them all white and changed the hinges and front hardware with something much lighter in color.

I've thought about changing them to all white, but at this point I have too many other projects going on...but I will probably change the hardware at some point (I was thinking brushed nickel). Thank you for the suggestion. :)

polock4life
2011-09-19, 06:35 PM
It's all good, just my taste, not anyone elses. I just wasn't a big fan of the dark outline through the middle of them. Brushed nickle knobs and hinges would look good!

dstock1088
2011-09-21, 11:17 AM
My wife and I are planning on redoing out kitchen and we really hate the wood work. I am going to make new drawer fronts and cabinet doors and just sand/ re-stain the frames. This will also allow me to update the look of the cabinet by getting rid of the raised panels.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=38.890400,-94.790480