PDA

View Full Version : Heater keeps shutting off overnight

CosmosM3
2011-11-18, 09:45 AM
So yesterday morning my wife and I woke up to a house that was 50 degrees. We checked the thermostat and it was set where we wanted it at 67 degrees. When I got home the temperature hadn't changed. I proceeded to turn the automatic igniter off, turn the power to the heater off, and wait 5 minutes. I smelled for gas both standing up and by the floor, after confirming that the smell in the heater room was still normal I turned the igniter back to on, and turned the power back on. My wife turned the thermostat back up to 67 degrees and the heater kicked on. Joy! All is well in the world again.

Well this morning I noticed it was somewhat cold again, checked the thermostat and sure enough 60 degrees down from 67 degrees the night before. This is our first house and I was hoping someone on here has dealt with this issue. I have read that drafts or dirty filters can put out a polit light, but our heater is newer and has the igniter???

Could it be carbon build up? My boss advised he has someone come out twice a year to clean everything out, and the guy said that carbon can build up and keep the igniter from functioning properly? If thats the case was would be the best way to clean it? I will obviously turn the igniter off, and then shut the power off again? Emery board, file???

Thanks in advance!

JDLM
2011-11-18, 09:48 AM
had this happen 3 times (from Summer until now) it was my control board that was messed up

CosmosM3
2011-11-18, 10:00 AM
had this happen 3 times (from Summer until now) it was my control board that was messed up

How much was it to have it replaced? I'm going to remove the igniter after work to inspect the tip see if it's discolored or cracked. If it's discolored I'm going to use some emery cloth and try to clean the tip, if it's cracked I will replace it. If that doesn't work I will just call AB May who we have our home warranty through depending on the cost of the control board, as it's only $75 for them to come out and fix it.

JDLM
2011-11-18, 10:06 AM
How much was it to have it replaced? I'm going to remove the igniter after work to inspect the tip see if it's discolored or cracked. If it's discolored I'm going to use some emery cloth and try to clean the tip, if it's cracked I will replace it. If that doesn't work I will just call AB May who we have our home warranty through depending on the cost of the control board, as it's only $75 for them to come out and fix it.

Mine has cost me nothing as well due to my warranty (well my deductable from the 1st visit) I had an ignitor replaced as well.

CosmosM3
2011-11-18, 10:07 AM
Mine has cost me nothing as well due to my warranty (well my deductable from the 1st visit) I had an ignitor replaced as well.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed the igniter just has build up. The control panel has an LED indicator, which should be "ON" when it's operating correctly, should blink when the igniter won't ignite (which is what it was doing this morning), or off if there is a problem with the panel etc.

JDLM
2011-11-18, 10:29 AM
I'm keeping my fingers crossed the igniter just has build up. The control panel has an LED indicator, which should be "ON" when it's operating correctly, should blink when the igniter won't ignite (which is what it was doing this morning), or off if there is a problem with the panel etc.

They do toss up trouble codes :yesnod:

I did HVAC in High School and recall some of it :lol:

Joe
2011-11-18, 11:31 AM
Wow, I just typed a long response and it wouldn't post. Sigh.

Anyway, I had the exact same problems and it turns out it was that control board. I had a loose connection that I messed with for a couple of weeks trying to fix a bad solder on the board. I finally just purchased the control unit, paid about 140 for it off of ebay and it took 4 minutes to replace. Haven't had a problem since.

I thought it was originally the flame sensor but it wasn't. My control board was G776RGD14C.

Joe
2011-11-18, 11:34 AM
PM me if I can be of any help.

My LED would come on if I wiggled the wires and I could get it to ignite but then it would go out. When I did a search online for my control board there were a lot of posts about how they go bad.

CosmosM3
2011-11-18, 12:59 PM
Really hoping it's the ignitor though I don't see how it could be. It fired up last night after the re-start procedure... and it it was cracked or had that bad of carbon buildup it shouldn't fire at all. Looks like AB May to the rescue...

mrcooley
2011-11-18, 05:24 PM
Also had this happen...

on mine it wound up being a moisture plugged vent hose that connects to the gas pressure switch..(the one that actually allows gas to get to the burners)

I pulled the hose off the switch and blew it out.

CosmosM3
2011-11-21, 10:03 AM
Also had this happen...

on mine it wound up being a moisture plugged vent hose that connects to the gas pressure switch..(the one that actually allows gas to get to the burners)

I pulled the hose off the switch and blew it out.

The service guy from AB May actually did that first and advised it can become plugged. In our case it was what everyone had said, the control board. Apparently it was the original control board from 98 when the house was built. The service guy said they weren't known to be reliable. The new one is supposed to be much improved, so if the first one lasted 14 years, hopefully this one lasts much longer. I think we will be renewing our home warranty, the service guy said without the warranty the cost for the repair would have been like $560.

JDLM
2011-11-21, 10:23 AM
For a control board? Holy crap

CosmosM3
2011-11-21, 11:05 AM
For a control board? Holy crap

I think that was just the quoted price from AB May for part plus labor, he confirmed the part can be bought online for about $120.

JDLM
2011-11-21, 11:14 AM
Okay was going to say I don't recall that part being expensive when I did hvac with my dad

Lostinkansas
2011-11-22, 02:23 AM
Had something like that happen with mine, it was a flame sensor. or something like that...

acvw_insanity
2011-11-22, 03:26 PM
In my house it was a control board as well. New thermostat, automatic pilot ignitor, and everything is cleaned/serviced.

Cree
2011-12-15, 08:53 AM
Mine did this last year. I chased the problem to the tune of a grand and 4 different techs before I got bored one night and figured out it was the over temp switch in the squirrel cage.