PDA

View Full Version : Wiring new lights in garage

MyLittlePwny
2011-12-05, 02:12 AM
Greg's thread about wiring lights made me realize that I should just here for advice on this deal.

I have a decently oversized 2 car and have hung a bunch of 8' fixtures in it (15 fixtures, plus the 2 existing). I realize that that's a whole lot of lights, but... they were free, so fuck it. Anyhow, I'm not sure what the best route would be to go about wiring them. I don't care about being able to turn on different amounts of lights with multiple switches... so if at all possible, I'd like to just wire all of the new lights on 1 switch while keeping the 2 on the old switch for when all of the extra light isn't desired.

Basically, the only thing that I KNOW that I need is at least 1 new switch, a breaker (nfi what size) and a spool of romex. I would THINK that I could get away with 100' of romex and still have extra... but I honestly have no clue. So, some good advice would be appreciated.

CC's70RS
2011-12-05, 11:01 AM
Greg's thread about wiring lights made me realize that I should just here for advice on this deal.

I have a decently oversized 2 car and have hung a bunch of 8' fixtures in it (15 fixtures, plus the 2 existing). I realize that that's a whole lot of lights, but... they were free, so fuck it. Anyhow, I'm not sure what the best route would be to go about wiring them. I don't care about being able to turn on different amounts of lights with multiple switches... so if at all possible, I'd like to just wire all of the new lights on 1 switch while keeping the 2 on the old switch for when all of the extra light isn't desired.

Basically, the only thing that I KNOW that I need is at least 1 new switch, a breaker (nfi what size) and a spool of romex. I would THINK that I could get away with 100' of romex and still have extra... but I honestly have no clue. So, some good advice would be appreciated.

Some things to consider; Assume your garage is heated, since fluorescent lights don't work well in temps colder than 40 or so. What is the amp draw per light fixture? Where is your electrical panel located? Is there attic access over the garage?

Once you know how many amps your lights require, you can multiply that number then decide to use a 15 or a 20 amp curcuit. More than likely, you'll need two breakers & two switches. You can get a double switch remodel type box for a new light switch location, or get a three switch box and put it where your existing switch is.

You can start with 100 feet, but Romex goes pretty fast.......depending on distance from the panel, distance between each light, ceiling height, etc. Rough measure the runs & see how much wire you'll need. I always buy 25% more than I need.

Hibidi-Shibidi
2011-12-05, 01:16 PM
If there isn't attic access, you've got a lot of conduit to be running too.

JR
2011-12-05, 04:26 PM
There is access in the attic of the garage. This gonna be done when I get back from Arizona Zac? :mrgreen:

Billy Mild
2011-12-05, 05:00 PM
I am renting a place that I would like to put some overhead lighting in the garage. Could you just get some plug in fluorescent lights. Just 2 maybe?

ForcFed93
2011-12-05, 05:14 PM
My garage has outlets in the ceiling wired from two breakers through two switches.

All of the fixtures are the plug in type so I can change them or add to them at any time if necessary. Kind of convenient, but if you have the hardwired style fixtures, it may not be an option for you.

MyLittlePwny
2011-12-05, 08:17 PM
Yeah, like JR said, there is attic access. All of the studs in the garage are exposed.

Jalt28
2011-12-05, 09:16 PM
you can almost assume without even looking at the amperage per light youll need 2 breakers and 2 swithes 15 lights is too many on one curcuit and depending on how close the breaker box is 100 will definately get you started i always run 12/2 w/ground and a 20 amp breaker good luck

MyLittlePwny
2011-12-05, 09:34 PM
The breaker box is directly above the switch, which is next to the door

bwiencek
2011-12-06, 06:59 PM
I'm guessing about 2 amps per fixture (2x40W bulbs?) would be a guess - but unless you know from the MFGR's tag the current draw you can estimate by how many watt bulbs are in the lights and add in some for wasted draw on the transformer/ballast.

Given 3 amps per fixture, 20 amp circuit (80% cap=16 amp) then figure about 8 PER 20amp circuit - so I'd start there - get 2 20A breakers, 12ga wire, junction boxes, 2 switches, etc. and wire up 2 separate feeds into the lights.

Corners
2011-12-07, 06:23 AM
I'm guessing about 2 amps per fixture (2x40W bulbs?)

Two 40 watt bulbs will pull (40 * 2)/120v = 0.67 amps.

If you're putting in that many lights, I'd make sure you use CFL's. Way less power draw when factoring in that many lights. I've run CFL's in my garage for years. Yes, in the winter, they do take a little bit to warm up fully, but they work just fine.

If you have 15 light fixtures all running 100watt bulbs, you're looking at a total power draw of 1,500 watts. So, yes, you could do this off a single 15 amp breaker (1500/120 = 12.5 amps). In contrast, if you installed 100W equivalent CFL's, you're looking at 23W * 15 = 345 watts, pulling 345/110 = 2.9 amps. No problem.

MyLittlePwny
2011-12-07, 06:30 AM
Are CFL's the smaller diameter tubes? Because that's what I have

Corners
2011-12-07, 06:55 AM
Are CFL's the smaller diameter tubes? Because that's what I have

No, they're the screw based incandescent replacement. Sounds like you have high efficient florescent tubes, like a T8 or T5 size, or something. Should be good. Look to see if there's a power rating on the fixture (there should be) and for the wattage of the tubes.

MyLittlePwny
2011-12-07, 07:10 AM
Okay, looks like the bulbs I have are the Philips F96T8. Which, like you said, is a T8, it's a 59w bulb. The ballasts say .97v on them, but I'm not sure if I'm supposed to be looking for something else on there.

Corners
2011-12-07, 07:46 AM
Okay, looks like the bulbs I have are the Philips F96T8. Which, like you said, is a T8, it's a 59w bulb. The ballasts say .97v on them, but I'm not sure if I'm supposed to be looking for something else on there.

How many 59W bulbs per fixture?

MyLittlePwny
2011-12-07, 08:07 AM
Two per

Corners
2011-12-07, 10:27 AM
Two per

So, 2, 59W bulbs in each of the 15 fixtures. That's 1,770 watts, which will pull 14.75 amps @ 120volts. You'll need 2-15 amp circuits, or one 20 amp one.

Dude, that's a shit ton of light. Each one of your F96T8 bulbs is rated at 5190 lumens. That's equivalent of 3 100w standard bulbs. So, 30 F96T8's will be putting out the same light as 90 standard 100 watt bulbs. How big is your garage? Sounds like it's going to be bright as hell in there. 8)

If you're dead set on wiring up all 15, what I'd do (if you have the space in the breaker box) is run 2-15 amp circuits on 2 separate switches. Then, I'd wire the up so one switch would fire up every other fixture. That way you could control the lighting. You'll use more romex doing so, though. That's my suggestion.

MyLittlePwny
2011-12-07, 10:34 AM
It's a decently oversized 2 car lol It's definitely going to be bright. I got all of the fixtures for free so fuck it, why not! There is a fixture on every rafter, 3 fixtures across the front of the garage, one vertically on either side of the garage door, one on either side a foot off the ground for detailing and light under the car. Also, there's 17 fixtures total... two of them are already wired to one switch. I guess I could add fixtures to that switch/breaker and then do the rest on a second switch.

I could charge the neighborhood bitches to tan in it when I'm done.

Corners
2011-12-07, 10:48 AM
It's a decently oversized 2 car lol It's definitely going to be bright. I got all of the fixtures for free so fuck it, why not! There is a fixture on every rafter, 3 fixtures across the front of the garage, one vertically on either side of the garage door, one on either side a foot off the ground for detailing and light under the car. Also, there's 17 fixtures total... two of them are already wired to one switch. I guess I could add fixtures to that switch/breaker and then do the rest on a second switch.

I could charge the neighborhood bitches to tan in it when I'm done.

17 fixtures, so that's 102 100W bulbs. :lolg: My last house had 4 100W bulbs in a 3 car garage with 10ft ceilings, and it was enough.

If you paint the ceiling, walls, and floor white, it would look like heaven.

Wire up every other one. :thumbsup:

Oh, and post pics when you're done. You're going to spin that power meter.

MyLittlePwny
2011-12-07, 10:52 AM
272 feet of fluorescent lighting inside of a 2 car garage. Come at me bros.

doomi
2011-12-07, 11:26 AM
I have four 4' two bulb fixtures, five 4' four bulb fixtures, and two 8' two bulb fixtures in my garage... and to be honest I'd add more if they were free. But my whole garage, including the ceiling, is painted black. So it sucks up a lot of light.

Mine is a two car as well, but it is extra deep.

Edit: All of my lights are run through one 20 amp circuit... and all of my outlets are run through a separate 20 amp circuit.