PDA

View Full Version : Just got a Zero Turn Rider

black797
2012-01-28, 09:21 PM
School me, please.

2006 Gravely ZTR1540. Anything I should know? Any tips/tricks? I don't even know how to mow with it lol.

jasman18
2012-01-28, 09:37 PM
Mow it high, mow it often. Use cup holder for beer. Good Luck.

whiteFCTII
2012-02-03, 12:10 PM
Mow it high, mow it often. Use cup holder for beer. Good Luck.

You do know you can get a dui/dwi on a mower right?

black797
2012-02-03, 12:24 PM
You do know you can get a dui/dwi on a mower right?

I've only seen cops in my neighborhood a handful of times so I think I'm golden.

69Mach351
2012-02-03, 01:02 PM
Watch it on inclines, they tend to slide easeir. Dont take corners to sharp, it will tear up the grass under the inside turn wheel.

ReidStylez
2012-02-09, 11:24 PM
Come now my lawn

Matticus
2012-02-09, 11:54 PM
Always drive it at max throttle. The engine powers the hydrolic pumps that power the wheels. Lower rpms is rough on the pumps witch will tear it up quick.

JDLM
2012-02-09, 11:55 PM
Always drive it at max throttle. The engine powers the hydrolic pumps that power the wheels. Lower rpms is rough on the pumps witch will tear it up quick.
:shock:
you are alive

Matticus
2012-02-09, 11:56 PM
:shock:
you are alive

Its a Jesus thing. Shall rise again...

chiggy
2012-02-10, 07:56 AM
I mowed professionally for 3 years with a zero turn mower. I hope I can help you with some questions.
read your owner's manual for proper care of your equipment.
after looking up your model there are some tips I can give you. I'm going to try to keep it as simple as possible but please don't think I'm trying to patronize.
your mower will do fine going UP hills. if you try to go DOWN a hill and try to stop you will slide and you could lose control so be careful there. most zero turn mowers do very well when mowing going side to side on a slope. they tend to slide instead of rolling. Practice is going to make perfect so just go drive the thing around practicing keeping it going in a straight line. ZT mowers tend to jump and jerk around and get you off track when you hit bumps.
I would start off by doing a single pass outline around your property with the discharge pointed in towards the interior. then pick an angle 3 of them actually. you need a really good solid "front to back" line to start off with, I usually tried to use the edge of the driveway or maybe the side of the house and point towards the street. make one straight pass and then come to a slow stop, slowly draw back on one stick while pushing forward on the other to do a clean 180 degree turn and mow back the other direction but not in the same path obviously. always mow down the white lines. when you lay a stripe down with the mower the white stripes are always the direction you go. if you mow down a green stripe your yard will look like shit because it's like petting a dog backwards, they don't like it. now next week cut it at a 45 degree angle from the one you did the first time. then the week after that do the opposite 45 angle from the second week. the week after that go back to the original pattern. This will leave you with a very professional looking X pattern with your "front to back" line splitting it down the middle. I'm sure you've seen it at any major business or baseball field. Keep your blades sharp, mow at 3 1/2 inches if you can. "double cut" or go back over what you just mowed to make those lines look crisp and to finely chop the clippings. Don't ever mow in a circle. the point of a ZT mower is that they cut the time of mowing by at least a third because of their agility. Don't ruin it by going around in circles and piling up the clippings.