PDA

View Full Version : Programmable thermostats

Ryan D
2012-03-22, 10:18 AM
Before summer gets here, I need to change my old school dial thermostat to a programmable model.

Here's the catch. I have one unit that controls the A/C and heat and the heat is a combo of a gas boiler system and electric baseboard. I haven't been able to find one that will control all 3 in my limited research.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

duttbart
2012-03-22, 10:52 AM
www.nest.com !

i just bought a 7 day programmable honeywell off amazon - touch screen.

installed 2 months ago - works perfect!

http://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-RTH7600D-Touchscreen-Programmable-Thermostat/dp/B001FWZ7IW/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1332427929&sr=8-12

Billy Mild
2012-03-23, 01:40 PM
KC P&L was giving away free ones. You may want to look into that.

Ryan D
2012-03-23, 01:58 PM
I'm not in KC. The most important thing I'm looking for is one that can handle my weird heating system.

06g35meister
2012-03-23, 01:59 PM
Before summer gets here, I need to change my old school dial thermostat to a programmable model.

Here's the catch. I have one unit that controls the A/C and heat and the heat is a combo of a gas boiler system and electric baseboard. I haven't been able to find one that will control all 3 in my limited research.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Can you not just parallel the heat to baseboard and boiler from one 12v singal upon call for heat?

Ryan D
2012-03-23, 02:01 PM
Can you not just parallel the heat to baseboard and boiler from one 12v singal upon call for heat?

I'm assuming that is how it is set up now. Should I just ignore that most of the units say they don't work with baseboard?

Ryan D
2012-03-25, 02:07 PM
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h120/ryandemar411/IMAG0258.jpg

Maybe someone can help me out here.

Looks like I have R, W, O, G, 1, 2, 3, 4 and maybe 5 wires connected. Can't figure out what the numbered wires correlate to. Thermostat is a honeywell T87A.

Ryan D
2012-03-25, 11:00 PM
Okay, I have figured out the numbered ones are just jumpers. The R, W, G, unmarked terminal below G and the unmarked terminal at the bottom. Looks like 5 total wires from the wall to terminals.

inis
2012-03-25, 11:25 PM
need to invite stang91 or whatever his s/n is to this thread..he does heating and cooling

06g35meister
2012-03-26, 10:27 AM
Okay, I have figured out the numbered ones are just jumpers. The R, W, G, unmarked terminal below G and the unmarked terminal at the bottom. Looks like 5 total wires from the wall to terminals.

Mine has 5 wires from the wall as well:

Red - +12V
White - Heat
Green - Fan Relay Trip
Yellow - A/C Condenser Fan and Compressor Relays
Blue - Heat Pump (reversing valve). (not used in my place)

In your situation the white wire should connect to both systems after the wire routes to the system. Remember the thermostat isnt doing anything except tripping relays that control the much higher voltage stuff. These are only signal wires, not the wires carrying the actual current to make the devices run.

Should be straightforward connecting all to thermostat. The only real hard thing was changing the jumper from gas heat to electric (I have electric atm).

Hummer
2012-04-06, 11:47 PM
I ordered the Nest and should have it next week. They just had a software update that adds quite a bit of functionality. I also have the red, green, yellow, white wire setup.