PDA

View Full Version : landscape advice/help

redlobster
2012-03-31, 02:26 PM
The dirt area was originally a flower bed that we kinda threw together last year after moving in , just to satisfy the neighborhood requirements before we had more time/money etc to improve it. Now we have some extra $$ to improve the area and a little more time as our younger child is 9 months.

Any advice on something that is relatively simple and not super expensive for the area, we still want to make it a flower bed with some kind of border/edge that is not plastic/metal edging but I am not creative in landscaping, I tried doing retaining wall blocks but they were not looking great with the slop of the yard.

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g273/redlobster84/photo2.jpg

CC's70RS
2012-04-01, 07:39 PM
I'd rake it out, set in some paving stone border (lawn level) that matches your other stone. Cover the dirt with a layer or two of weedmat, cover that w/mulch that matches your other mulch. Pick where you want plants, cut hole and plant a few primrose, or other low level plants / grasses you like. :dunno:

I'd first redo (level & build up) your other pavers. They will look sooo much better & tie it all together. Do a youtube search to see how....it's really not that hard.

The Lox
2012-04-01, 08:24 PM
If you put a border around the edge and then plant creeping phlox it will expand out and cover the whole bed. I had a bed of phlox at my house in Kansas City and it was easy to maintain and pretty cheap. It won't bloom up this year because it blooms in the spring, but you should see it expand out and then you will have a nice effect for just a little money...

jasman18
2012-04-02, 08:12 AM
Do you have to have 2" of foundation exposed?
Home inspector told me that a few years ago.

69Mach351
2012-04-02, 08:23 AM
astroturf and fake flowers = easy to maintain.

If your place is similar to your neighbors, see what they are doing. It could be as simple as puttind down some mulch or rock. Like another guy said, I would put down some weed mat.

shaun y
2012-04-05, 01:15 PM
the first reply is the best. you have plenty of slope there at the corner of the house for a little retaining wall if you know how to actually build one. it's not that hard, the bottom row is the only real "work." tamp down the dirt and use sand to make sure it's level (obviously you want to use a level and not your eyeballs). if you build it right it will last for decades. if you slap it together it will look like shit by next spring.

black797
2012-04-05, 02:17 PM
I was able to build this in only a couple hours. I built many of these walls in middle school/high school. As was said previously, set up the 1st level right and the rest are as simple as sitting the block on it.

http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/482322_3086865447926_1152604444_32448884_192921812 5_n.jpg

BuddyLee
2012-04-05, 02:22 PM
Hell even a nice single layer of pavestone or brick lining the edge would look nice. Just level it!

shaun y
2012-04-05, 03:20 PM
The part along the sidewalk just needs a single level of pavers. It's where it wraps around the house that he needs a wall

phreakdna
2012-04-05, 04:08 PM
Do you have to have 2" of foundation exposed?
Home inspector told me that a few years ago.
you should. the walls of your house need to 'breathe' as the house temps change with the seasons. mulch doesn't allow much for this. you can, however, run rock above the 2" 'line' as it provides enough air to come in/escape. if you're going to come anywhere near that 2" line with soil though you need to make absolutely certain your sloping is taken care of.

essentially the rules for coming close to covering up foundation are:
1. make sure the sloping is done correctly away from the house
2. check #1 again
3. try to avoid doing so
4. if you're going to do it anyway, use rock or a very breathable substance

4a. you can also cheat a little bit by cutting a 3-4" trench at a 45 degree angle into the soil and then backfilling with that breathable material to give yourself more room. this is not advisable and shouldn't really be considered if there isn't a sump pump with drain tile system in the basement.