PDA

View Full Version : Passed my MSF course

tim_ws6
2012-04-01, 09:50 PM
Took the class at JCCC and passed! Fuckin excited, it was alot of fun. Definitely feel alot more comfortable to go riding on the streets. (not too busy yet though) All i gotta do is go to the dmv, and find me a bike! :hurray:
I would highly recommend this class to anyone interested in riding a bike as well

brveagle
2012-04-01, 11:50 PM
Props on taking the class rather than buying a new sport bike and "self teaching yourself"...

stevo8
2012-04-02, 03:52 AM
I took it in Hutch and plan on retaking it this year, just because it's been 5 years. Glad to hear you enjoyed it, it is valuable regardless what people may say at formalized riding education.

Kyle H
2012-04-02, 07:21 AM
I took it as well up here, pretty sweet deal the state has going on because its free for everyone. I'm planning on taking the more advanced one this summer with my own bike.

Billy Mild
2012-04-02, 04:41 PM
The classes are awesome IMO. I took mine 10 years ago when I was 15 and it taught me the proper way to ride a bike. Wonder if I could retake it and get my discount?

toolb0x
2012-04-03, 01:03 AM
Congrats on passing the MSF. My fiancee and I have never been on bikes before and we're scheduled to take the class on May 18,19,20th. Any suggestions for us, either specific to the course or in general about riding? We're a bit nervous since we have no idea how to ride a motorcycle.

tim_ws6
2012-04-03, 09:53 AM
Congrats on passing the MSF. My fiancee and I have never been on bikes before and we're scheduled to take the class on May 18,19,20th. Any suggestions for us, either specific to the course or in general about riding? We're a bit nervous since we have no idea how to ride a motorcycle.

The course is designed even if you've never been on a bike to teach you. Do either of you know how to drive a stick? That will help you a little. Maybe just read up a little on the basics of how a motorcycle works.

WRX
2012-04-03, 10:02 AM
What all do they teach you in those classes?

I guess one of the benefits of growing up in the country is the countless hours of dirt biking I racked up over the years. I was never uncomfortable riding a street bike, even on the highway.

Billy Mild
2012-04-03, 11:06 AM
What all do they teach you in those classes?

I guess one of the benefits of growing up in the country is the countless hours of dirt biking I racked up over the years. I was never uncomfortable riding a street bike, even on the highway.

Riding on the dirt helps you to be a better rider on the street, because you know how to handle slipping out and all that.

I thought I could ride a motorcycle well, but in reality I learned a decent amount in that class. I highly recommend it. You get cheaper insurance, you automatically get your license if you pass the class.

sebaz
2012-04-03, 12:40 PM
I need to get on it and take one of those. I know pretty much nothing about accident avoidance :| I've done plenty of riding on the dirt in my day, but I don't really feel that that gave me what I'm looking for.

cbr_954
2012-04-03, 02:36 PM
I need to make time for it

perplexed
2012-04-03, 10:48 PM
i took the class last year. they teach slow moving skills and moderate speed stuff. basically parking lot skills. not to much of on the road stuff.

if you have never been on a bike, i would recommend to find someone with something that you can practice on a bit before class. you don't wanna panic or get confused and get the controls mixed up and end up dumping the bike. my class also offered scooters for those couldn't operate a normal bike.

get a full face helmet or at least a 3/4 with face shield. one lady in my class had a 3/4 helmet with a 2 or 3" sun visor above the forehead. of the multiple times she dumped the bike over the weekend, one time while i was in line, right in front of me she ended up locking up the brakes on the sudden controlled stop. freaked out, lost control i dunno. she ended up falling over, didn't get her hands out in front of her fast enough. almost a face plant into the asphalt. if it wasn't for that little visor on top of her helmet hitting first, and the rest of her and her body rolling she would not have been a happy person.

take the class with a grain of salt. i personally didn't learn too much from it. i was only riding about two months prior taking the course. read the state manual enough times and rode with others and they gave me just as much advice about riding. YMMV.

PS- the box sucks. if you get a taller dual purpose bike instead of a cruiser 250 it may be easier.

tim_ws6
2012-04-04, 12:14 PM
i took the class last year. they teach slow moving skills and moderate speed stuff. basically parking lot skills. not to much of on the road stuff.

if you have never been on a bike, i would recommend to find someone with something that you can practice on a bit before class. you don't wanna panic or get confused and get the controls mixed up and end up dumping the bike. my class also offered scooters for those couldn't operate a normal bike.

get a full face helmet or at least a 3/4 with face shield. one lady in my class had a 3/4 helmet with a 2 or 3" sun visor above the forehead. of the multiple times she dumped the bike over the weekend, one time while i was in line, right in front of me she ended up locking up the brakes on the sudden controlled stop. freaked out, lost control i dunno. she ended up falling over, didn't get her hands out in front of her fast enough. almost a face plant into the asphalt. if it wasn't for that little visor on top of her helmet hitting first, and the rest of her and her body rolling she would not have been a happy person.

take the class with a grain of salt. i personally didn't learn too much from it. i was only riding about two months prior taking the course. read the state manual enough times and rode with others and they gave me just as much advice about riding. YMMV.

PS- the box sucks. if you get a taller dual purpose bike instead of a cruiser 250 it may be easier.

Yes! I hated the box. As did pretty much everyone else in the class.

YourWorstNightmare
2012-04-04, 11:21 PM
Way to go on the MSF course bud. Glad to hear someone out there is making wise educational decisions when it comes to riding.

Now, if only states required these types of courses for driving a CAR/TRUCK as well. Then we'd actually have educated and well informed drivers to not HIT the riders.

:thumbsup:

Karlen
2012-04-05, 12:04 AM
I had a blast at the MSF course I went to, and actually learned quite a bit. Got the instructors nervous because I went a little quick through some of their obstacles, but oh well.

Kyle H
2012-04-05, 06:50 AM
I got in trouble as well for speeding. The course is right by my friends house doin just went n practiced up there before the class.

KCMAXX
2012-04-27, 05:51 PM
So its free period or just for KS residents?

98GSX
2012-05-09, 10:12 AM
Everything I find is around $220 bucks for the course from jccc, gails, worth or wherever

mild83
2012-05-09, 10:54 AM
Took the MSF in MO at a JC. The one thing I loved about it is that I didn't have to worry about dumping the bike, and the instructors didn't make you feel as though you should. Not that they told you to lay it down, but there was zero pressue if you did because the bikes are all donated.

Learned alot. Even thought it's mostly very basic skills, I'd rather learn on someone else's bike that I don't have to worry about. Plus, you have the riding portion of the license out of the way, which is very nice.

I'd also recommended taking one of the enduros if posible, over the 250 cc cruisers.

toolb0x
2012-05-18, 10:57 AM
fiancee and I are going today to take the MSF at JCCC, pretty stoked. I know tonight is just the classroom porton but I'm still a bit nervous, neither of us have ever been on a bike before although we do mountain bike a lot and I'm sure the skill set of two wheels does transfer even if to a very small degree.

Went ahead and picked up helmets and gloves for each of us, since we had neither and didn't want to use the provided helmets. Considering running out to Motorcycle Closeouts to pick up a jacket today as well before the class since they are calling for rain on Sunday. And even if we don't enjoy riding at least we'll have the gear then for if we ever ride with someone else.

mild83
2012-05-18, 11:29 AM
fiancee and I are going today to take the MSF at JCCC, pretty stoked. I know tonight is just the classroom porton but I'm still a bit nervous, neither of us have ever been on a bike before although we do mountain bike a lot and I'm sure the skill set of two wheels does transfer even if to a very small degree.

Went ahead and picked up helmets and gloves for each of us, since we had neither and didn't want to use the provided helmets. Considering running out to Motorcycle Closeouts to pick up a jacket today as well before the class since they are calling for rain on Sunday. And even if we don't enjoy riding at least we'll have the gear then for if we ever ride with someone else.

You'll be fine, trust me. When I took my course, I just bought a cheap DOT approved 3/4 helmet, some gloves and actually just wore thick jeans, boots, and a tshirt w/ a long sleeve tshirt (I took my course in August). It's all relatively low speed, so I was terribly worrried about dumping it and huting my arms.

tim_ws6
2012-05-18, 12:26 PM

You two will love it. Who are your instructors?

JgDsMr
2012-05-18, 12:36 PM
Im taking it this summer, good to hear

toolb0x
2012-05-18, 10:45 PM
You two will love it. Who are your instructors?

Thanks, we have Parks and Pruitt(sp?). They seemed knowledgable and like good instructors this evening at the classroom session. We start riding tomorrow morning at 7am and finish at 1230 for a lunch break then classroom time until 4ish, then the same again on Sunday.