PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using a Reel Mower?

95PreludeSE
2012-04-07, 05:22 PM
Anyone on here own a reel mower? I have 2 gas mowers that have been giving me fits this year, plus I'm sick of bothering with gas cans and all that. I've been curious about reel mowers for quite a while, since I tend to prefer things old-school and simple. I hear mixed reviews on them, some people love them, others say they're too hard to push or don't give a good cut.

The 2 I'm considering:
Scott's Classic 20"
http://a248.e.akamai.net/origin-cdn.volusion.com/ejfb9.9yrtn/v/vspfiles/photos/2000-20-2T.jpg

Fiskars Momentum 18"
http://media.treehugger.com/assets/images/2011/10/fiskars-momentum.jpg

WRX
2012-04-07, 05:30 PM
They are hard to push, but if your yard is pretty even they aren't too bad if you are in decent shape. The one I used to use cut perfect.

95PreludeSE
2012-04-07, 06:19 PM
They are hard to push, but if your yard is pretty even they aren't too bad if you are in decent shape. The one I used to use cut perfect.

My yard is pretty damn flat, and I figure they can't be much harder to push than the Honda with broken self-propulsion that I've been shoving around the yard. If anything I'll just call it a workout.

WRX
2012-04-07, 06:28 PM
It will be harder, because the reel runs off of the power of the wheels turning and its gear-reduced like a mofo.

dstock1088
2012-04-07, 07:14 PM
I used one last week because my gas keeps having problems and I actually loved it. It cut great as long as the grass wasn't too tall. I am going to be buying one very soon.

The only thing that requires any maintenance is you have to sharpen the blade once a season. It's awesome.

The Lox
2012-04-07, 07:32 PM
I used one at my house in KC because the yard was so small. It aint fucking easy and you better be ready to cut your yard often...

chrome
2012-04-07, 08:24 PM
I have the green one it is complete garbage and over $100. But my neighbor has an old one from like the 40's and it's a champ. Still never looks as good a any decent Push gas mower with sharp blades though.

dstock1088
2012-04-07, 08:47 PM
I forgot to mention I used the fiskars one.

95PreludeSE
2012-04-07, 09:47 PM
I have the green one it is complete garbage and over $100. But my neighbor has an old one from like the 40's and it's a champ. Still never looks as good a any decent Push gas mower with sharp blades though.

Really? They get pretty good reviews from what I've seen, and they're still a hell of a lot cheaper than the Fiskars at $200. Seemed pretty nice when I checked out the demo one at the store. The Fiskars one gets good reviews, but I've also heard of them having issues with the chain drive after a year or so.

Most of the negative feedback I've seen come from people who only mow once a week and let the grass get pretty tall between cuttings. I'm typically out 2-3 times a week mowing, I like to keep my grass pretty trim and neat.

Dr.John
2012-04-07, 10:37 PM
Really? They get pretty good reviews from what I've seen, and they're still a hell of a lot cheaper than the Fiskars at $200. Seemed pretty nice when I checked out the demo one at the store. The Fiskars one gets good reviews, but I've also heard of them having issues with the chain drive after a year or so.

Most of the negative feedback I've seen come from people who only mow once a week and let the grass get pretty tall between cuttings. I'm typically out 2-3 times a week mowing, I like to keep my grass pretty trim and neat.

:shock:

95PreludeSE
2012-04-07, 10:43 PM
:shock:

Lol should have clarified, 2-3 times/week during the spring when it grows like a mofo, closer to once a week in the summer when it slows down. I hate cutting grass when it's way tall.

WRX
2012-04-07, 10:44 PM
Oh, and if you do get one, make sure to pick up ANY sticks. They will jam up your reel and jam your arms. Not to mention dull the blades.

Dr.John
2012-04-07, 10:49 PM
Lol should have clarified, 2-3 times/week during the spring when it grows like a mofo, closer to once a week in the summer when it slows down. I hate cutting grass when it's way tall.

I'm jealous... I simply don't have the time to even consider such a thing.

95PreludeSE
2012-04-07, 11:02 PM
I'm jealous... I simply don't have the time to even consider such a thing.

Only takes 30-45 minutes for my yard. About another 15 for edging/trimming which is only once a week. I wish I had the amount of time to put into it as the retired couple across the street from me, I've never seen a greener, thicker, more perfect lawn that isn't on a golf course or done by a service.

If only I could control the weeds from my other neighbors who don't do shit with their yards..

69Mach351
2012-04-08, 09:25 AM
Worthless. I bought one a few years back. It was a nice Scott's model. Pushing it wasn't bad, but if you have areas that grow uneven, even a few longer weeds, they would just fold under the mower and pop back up. It had a slim range that it could cut. Be prepared to make multiple passes.

The Lox
2012-04-08, 10:01 AM
Only takes 30-45 minutes for my yard. About another 15 for edging/trimming which is only once a week. I wish I had the amount of time to put into it as the retired couple across the street from me, I've never seen a greener, thicker, more perfect lawn that isn't on a golf course or done by a service.

If only I could control the weeds from my other neighbors who don't do shit with their yards..

Go buy a weed stop spray that you use through your garden hose, then when you are watering your yard, you just make sure to take care of their weeds that are encroaching on your yard. Handled that myself yesterday afternoon...his weeds are already turning brown, haha...

95PreludeSE
2012-04-08, 10:59 AM
Go buy a weed stop spray that you use through your garden hose, then when you are watering your yard, you just make sure to take care of their weeds that are encroaching on your yard. Handled that myself yesterday afternoon...his weeds are already turning brown, haha...

Thanks, I've actually got a bottle of that ready to use. Just seems that every evening I was free this week we were expecting rain, so I never got it down. Hopefully this evening! Used the same stuff last year and within a couple days every weed in my yard was dead.

My awesome wife actually picked up a Scott's for me last night while I was at work to surprise me, so the Scott's Classic it is! After lunch with the family and everything I'll give it a try tonight.

Corners
2012-04-09, 03:43 AM
My next mower will be electric. My yard is not very big, and the swimming pool and deck take up 70% of the back yard. I've already gone cordless lithium for the trimmer and it's sooo much better than trying to get that POS gas trimmer fired up every spring.

95PreludeSE
2012-04-11, 04:52 PM
Finally got a chance to mow my whole yard last night and I loved it. I don't understand why these things get such a bad rep, it wasn't really any harder to push than a gas mower, gave a great cut, and was a nice quiet experience. The only thing that was weird is that it can't cut down some of the taller dandelions and such, so the few that are left in my yard were still standing even though the grass around it was cut.

69Mach351
2012-04-11, 05:15 PM
I don't understand why these things get such a bad rep,...... The only thing that was weird is that it can't cut down some of the taller dandelions and such, so the few that are left in my yard were still standing even though the grass around it was cut.That is exactly what I wrote and why I got rid of mine. If I am going to take the time to work on the yard, I don't want it to look like shit. I agree pushing it is no big deal, but leaving taller grass and weeds sucks. Wait till you hit some sticks too.