PDA

View Full Version : Do people really think Oklahoma Joes is the bet BBQ in town?

ReidStylez
2012-04-20, 12:59 PM
Don't get me wrong I think it's good but I've never once thought to myself "This is the best I've ever had!"

The Lox
2012-04-20, 01:01 PM
Don't get me wrong I think it's good but I've never once thought to myself "This is the best I've ever had!"

I have made a flight back from Dallas just to eat there...yes its that fucking good. I can honestly say I would not fly back to eat BBQ at any other place...

TRsixxx
2012-04-20, 01:03 PM
I do. That shit is fucking incredible.

Mantooth
2012-04-20, 01:06 PM
Oklahoma Joe's was fucking incredible...and I was hungover.

Anytime you can get 20+ hungover young adults to meet for BBQ at 11am, it must be fucking glorious.

WheaMyRyceGo
2012-04-20, 01:07 PM
Not all of us have the same taste.

I go to Gates, Jack Stack, OK Joes, and Arthur Bryants depending on what I will be eating.

It's hard to say that Oklahoma Joes > Jack stack or vice versa. Each place has their ups and downs.

LJRuddy
2012-04-20, 01:09 PM
I prefer Rosedale for their dry/spicy sauce but hate their portions and price.

Also like BB's Lawnside especially when they have their lunch/dinner buffet... Yea, a BBQ buffet. Amazeballs.

MyLittlePwny
2012-04-20, 01:11 PM
Oklahoma Joes is ones of the two places I have been in KC that I would and have returned to, the other being Jack Stack. I'm sorry but nobody can fuck with the sides at Jack Stack in my eyes.

LJRuddy
2012-04-20, 01:12 PM
Oklahoma Joes is ones of the two places I have been in KC that I would and have returned to, the other being Jack Stack. I'm sorry but nobody can fuck with the sides at Jack Stack in my eyes.

There is nothing even good about Jack Stack's BBQ. They are overpriced and ordinary. The only saving grace for them is their cheesy corn... Then again, its not exactly hard to put cheese in a bowl of corn.

MyLittlePwny
2012-04-20, 01:15 PM
There is nothing even good about Jack Stack's BBQ. They are overpriced and ordinary. The only saving grace for them is their cheesy corn... Then again, its not exactly hard to put cheese in a bowl of corn.
I've been to like 10 bbq places in kc and it was one of the two that I have even remotely wanted to return to. And I would love to see who has better beans.

babymobilss
2012-04-20, 01:18 PM
The best thing at OK Joe's is their fries. IMO the meats are dry and the buns are always stale and fall apart too easily. Jack Stack is the best, but for faster BBQ I prefer Gates or Zardas over OK Joe's.

LJRuddy
2012-04-20, 01:21 PM
I've been to like 10 bbq places in kc and it was one of the two that I have even remotely wanted to return to. And I would love to see who has better beans.

LC's or Winslow's have some pretty amazing beans.

I do admit that jackstack has amazing sides. but who the fuck goes to a bbq joint to eat sides? Give me some orgasmic burnt ends over some beans and slaw any day! And I gotta laugh at certain bbq places that don't even serve burnt ends. IMO, I judge a restaurant by their burnt ends. If they have good ends, everything else is going to be amazing too.

Furious Goat
2012-04-20, 01:22 PM
jack stack has the top burnt ends, crown prime ribs, and all sides except fries. ok joe's wins everything else (regular long end ribs, pulled pork, brisket, turkey, and their chicken is omgtits, sandwiches, red beans and rice, chili, chicken gumbo, etc...) facts

MyLittlePwny
2012-04-20, 01:24 PM
LC's or Winslow's have some pretty amazing beans.

I do admit that jackstack has amazing sides. but who the fuck goes to a bbq joint to eat sides? Give me some orgasmic burnt ends over some beans and slaw any day! And I gotta laugh at certain bbq places that don't even serve burnt ends. IMO, I judge a restaurant by their burnt ends. If they have good ends, everything else is going to be amazing too.
Honestly, it's pretty hard to not make good bbq. You can be a lot more creative with your sides. And I can't remember a bbq contest that I've been to that has ever had a burnt ends category... but what do they know lol

Kyle Bryan k
2012-04-20, 01:25 PM
Z-man, no contest.

cheesy corn from jack stack is the bee's knee's.

LJRuddy
2012-04-20, 01:27 PM
Honestly, it's pretty hard to not make good bbq. You can be a lot more creative with your sides. And I can't remember a bbq contest that I've been to that has ever had a burnt ends category... but what do they know lol

It's not hard to make good BBQ. But its fucking difficult to make BBQ that makes you stand out from the rest of the 'good BBQ' joints. :thumbsup:

On a 'side' note, who in town deep fries their corn on the cob? I went to a place in STL called Pappy's and they would put their corn still wrapped in the husk in a deep fryer. Shit tasted like candy and I'd like to have more of it.

Dr.John
2012-04-20, 01:28 PM
This thread makes me very hungry for BBQ.

That is not a good thing, with my current location :dlove:

duttbart
2012-04-20, 01:31 PM
absolutely!

i just took a co-worker to the original Oklahoma Joes last week. we've both traveled all over the country experiencing BBQ from Texas, Carolinas, Georgia, etc.

i think Oklahoma Joes is the best i've had in the country. it's on point every single time.

MyLittlePwny
2012-04-20, 01:40 PM
Man... Texas bbq is so bad lol

Travis
2012-04-20, 01:45 PM
yes.

duttbart
2012-04-20, 01:47 PM
i was just the charlotte area and couldn't wait to try their famous pork bbq. i was about 60 miles north in a small town and customers swore it was amazing. pulled pork, cole slaw, hell yeah - sign me up.

sandwiches came out, minced pork, minced bland cole slaw, grocery store style bbq sauce. place was PACKED with locals. i felt bad for them. terrible shit.

freekwonder
2012-04-20, 01:50 PM

:wstupid: though I really haven't had a chance to try Indianapolis BBQ yet. At least Seattle has a saving grace over Kansas City with it's seafood.

absolutely!

i just took a co-worker to the original Oklahoma Joes last week. we've both traveled all over the country experiencing BBQ from Texas, Carolinas, Georgia, etc.

i think Oklahoma Joes is the best i've had in the country. it's on point every single time.

The one place I had in Texas, while good, didn't compare to KC. Though it is hard to compare BBQ from the midwest, south and east. They all have a different style and flavor for the region. I bet very few people that grew up in a certian region of BBQ go to another region and like it better than home BBQ.

tommygun
2012-04-20, 01:51 PM
RJs on lamar deep fry's their corn

CaptainHook
2012-04-20, 01:53 PM
KCSR should compile a list of the top 10 KC Metro BBQs, and have them all cater some food to a party location, And have a taste test. Boom done. Someone else set it up.

Kyle Bryan k
2012-04-20, 02:00 PM
i got five on it...

Seriously i'll throw down 20 - 30.

kellyrx8
2012-04-20, 02:04 PM

I just mowed down some Brobecks cheesy corn and Brisket ;)

tommygun
2012-04-20, 02:06 PM
KCSR should compile a list of the top 10 KC Metro BBQs, and have them all cater some food to a party location, And have a taste test. Boom done. Someone else set it up.

IM IN

87supraT
2012-04-20, 02:16 PM
I'm a Gates fan myself or the original Aurthur Bryants!

Username:*
2012-04-20, 02:23 PM
Yes. They have the Z Man.

Ricerking13
2012-04-20, 02:25 PM
As someone who misses BBQ so much it makes me want to cry...

Ok Joes- amazing fries and pulled pork, good ribs
Jack stack- best beans/cheesy corn on earth

ctprelude
2012-04-20, 02:26 PM
Okie Joe's pulled pork is goooood.

Timothy Leary
2012-04-20, 02:26 PM
Yes because they do all of their meats right for the most part. And NOTHING can beat their burnt ends on wed or saturday.

Doest that mean there isn't other amazing bbq in kc? Hell no we have some great places but to me ok joes is tops!!!! Many Critics tend to agree.

Pfreaky
2012-04-20, 02:37 PM
FUCK YES

2012-04-20, 02:40 PM
Yes because they do all of their meats right for the most part. And NOTHING can beat their burnt ends on wed or saturday.

Doest that mean there isn't other amazing bbq in kc? Hell no we have some great places but to me ok joes is tops!!!! Many Critics tend to agree.

I fucking love how much awesome BBQ we have here in KC. :worship:

Billy Mild
2012-04-20, 02:43 PM
OK Joes is the shiznit. No doubt about it. I live just about 1.5 miles and when I first moved to this place I couldn't get enough of that stuff. I will say that Smokin Guns up north is a close second, but Burnt Ends on a bun from OK Joes is so damn good. Love it. DEM FRIES.

duttbart
2012-04-20, 02:56 PM
I fucking love how much awesome BBQ we have here in KC. :worship:
appreciate it now because you'll miss it when you're gone. fag

ItalionStallion888
2012-04-20, 03:05 PM
Johnny's all day long, their ribs are huge and a slab is only 13.00 on sun/wed

Dave B
2012-04-20, 03:07 PM

Pulled pork? Easy. Everything else? Pretty damn hard to do right. Have you ever really smoked before?

And yes, OK Joes is by far the best in KC in terms of BBQ, IMO.

duttbart
2012-04-20, 03:09 PM
Pulled pork? Easy. Everything else? Pretty damn hard to do right. Have you ever really smoked before?

no shit!

if i walk into a place that claims to have 'real' bbq and they don't have a smoke stack on the roof i'm not eating it!

it's a long complicated process.

Renegade
2012-04-20, 03:11 PM
I'm quite partial to Smokehouse in Gladstone. We have absolutely TERRIBLE bbq here in Georgia.

Dr.John
2012-04-20, 03:16 PM

:drool:

That's just rude :ryan:

MyLittlePwny
2012-04-20, 03:17 PM

Oh boy, I'm about to get dave b'd....

ItalionStallion888
2012-04-20, 03:25 PM
Oh boy, I'm about to get dave b'd....

he's correct for the most part. It's not just throwing some wood on hot coals and sticking the meat above/next/around it. It takes a lot of work, and constant watching for someone who doesn't have a professional smoker. I know you know this.

laelowimports
2012-04-20, 03:34 PM
Okla Joes meat is good (no homo), but their bbq sauce sucks. Far from the best in town. As stated before, each spot has it's ups and downs.

CosmosM3
2012-04-20, 03:38 PM
The best thing at OK Joe's is their fries. IMO the meats are dry and the buns are always stale and fall apart too easily. Jack Stack is the best, but for faster BBQ I prefer Gates or Zardas over OK Joe's.

Then apparently you do things wrong and don't order the Texas Toast...

MyLittlePwny
2012-04-20, 03:44 PM
he's correct for the most part. It's not just throwing some wood on hot coals and sticking the meat above/next/around it. It takes a lot of work, and constant watching for someone who doesn't have a professional smoker. I know you know this.
Sorry... I'm just going off of what my friend with an entire building lined with awards, ribbons, banners and trophies says about bbq :dunno:

thefr8train
2012-04-20, 03:50 PM
oklahoma joes is the best by far and there is nobody out there that can beat their fries. I'd put jackstack next.

ReidStylez
2012-04-20, 03:52 PM
Sadly their over seasoned fries are meh.

phreakdna
2012-04-20, 03:59 PM
Sadly their over seasoned fries are meh.
blasphemy.

take it back. :ryan:

imo, best bet for the largest variety of meats? yes, its probably OK Joes.
can you get certain individual items at other places and have them be better? yes.

overall though, I think they hit the highest points on a number of meats and are the "best bet" in town for overall bbq.

ItalionStallion888
2012-04-20, 04:14 PM
Sorry... I'm just going off of what my friend with an entire building lined with awards, ribbons, banners and trophies says about bbq :dunno:

oh, so a professional...so my statement still applies.

chrome
2012-04-20, 04:24 PM
Love OKJ's, Arthur Bryants etc...... But Wabash i would HAVE to say gets the trophy in my book. Just don't get out there too much : /

Dave B
2012-04-20, 05:07 PM

Interesting. I smoke and have lots of friends that do as well. Most people that smoke would say it takes a quite bit of skill, patience, science, and knowledge to smoke and season the right way. So much comes into play to get the meat to break down just right, have a good flavor and smoke, while maintaining moisture. Some people get way over the top with this stuff, but it still take a lot of skill and the meat never will cook the same way twice hence the need for experience. There's good reason why OK Joes burnt ends are expensive and only offered a few a days a week.

Dammit, I'm making pulled pork tomorrow. All this talk is making me crave BBQ.

88STANGGT
2012-04-20, 05:22 PM
I like gates and jack stack. Never had OK Joes. Smoking ribs right now on my first smoker. Fwiw if you buy the char broil long smoker, buy a temp gauge. The one it comes with just says warm, ideal, and hot. None of the paper work says what temperature that is either.

toolb0x
2012-04-20, 05:44 PM
the meat at ok joes is my favorite
the spicy corn nuggets at rosedale are my favorite
the fries at ok joes are my favorite
the sauce at rosedale is my favorite

too many favorites

but seriously, ok joes turkey or ham with rosedale sauce and a side of ok joes fries and rosedale spicy corn nuggets and i'd be in heaven.

Nick B
2012-04-20, 06:01 PM

I can't confirm if it's true but I've heard that Jack Stack's beans are so amazing because they cook the baked beans on the bottom of the oven and let the rib grease drip down into it. Oooooh baby their beans are good.

91-stang
2012-04-20, 06:10 PM
i like K & M in spring hill if you are out this way.

91-stang
2012-04-20, 06:11 PM
I can't confirm if it's true but I've heard that Jack Stack's beans are so amazing because they cook the baked beans on the bottom of the oven and let the rib grease drip down into it. Oooooh baby their beans are good.
i have heard of lots of places doing similar things, so i would not doubt that it is true.

toolb0x
2012-04-20, 06:13 PM

I haven't had K&M in ages, the sauce there has some heat to it yeah?

ItalionStallion888
2012-04-20, 06:15 PM
Interesting. I smoke and have lots of friends that do as well. Most people that smoke would say it takes a quite bit of skill, patience, science, and knowledge to smoke and season the right way. So much comes into play to get the meat to break down just right, have a good flavor and smoke, while maintaining moisture. Some people get way over the top with this stuff, but it still take a lot of skill and the meat never will cook the same way twice hence the need for experience. There's good reason why OK Joes burnt ends are expensive and only offered a few a days a week.

Dammit, I'm making pulled pork tomorrow. All this talk is making me crave BBQ.

temp control, temp control, temp control. You can't rush the smoking process. Most people who don't use a smoker understand the basics, but don't really understand how much goes into it. I'm always checking the coals, wood, amount of smoke. You can't just throw the brisket on and hope for the best :lolg:

2012-04-20, 06:17 PM

That place sucks. Worst ribs I've ever had. The service fucking blows too. Easily some of the worst BBQ I've ever had. I'll never go back there.

toolb0x
2012-04-20, 06:20 PM
That place sucks. Worst ribs I've ever had. The service fucking blows too. Easily some of the worst BBQ I've ever had. I'll never go back there.

There aren't many BBQ places I WON'T eat at, but off the top of my head
Zardas (generic and overpriced, shitty sauce)
Bates (everything I have tried from here sucked)
Famous Daves (generic, corproate bbq)
Smokehouse BBQ was good when it was in shawnee, but now that they have moved is terrible.

bks84
2012-04-20, 06:26 PM
I have yet to eat at OK Joes...

Dont they have two locations? If so, which one is better?

w1ck3d_crx
2012-04-20, 06:36 PM
i grew up just north of Memphis and i really like Memphis bbq, but ive had aurthur bryants and poppa bobs and both are worth note. i have yet to try ok joes or gates, but from what i've heard sounds like i won't be let down.

burn ends, pulled pork, brisket, ribs...

so hungry all of a sudden!

Hummer
2012-04-20, 06:59 PM
Oklahoma Joes at the top and Zarda at the bottom with about 25 other places in between.

I love smoking baby back ribs, briskets, pork shoulders and sausages. I purchased a wood pellet fed Traeger three years ago and I would never go back to old school.

MFE
2012-04-20, 07:10 PM

I really liked Zarda's and OK Joes. I like Jack Stack but more for its consistency than for its quality.

There are few things that suck about Phoenix, and one of them is the dearth of good BBQ. There's a new place opening in Chandler called Can't Stop Smokin', which I'll have to check out soon, other than that, if I want good BBQ in this town, I have to make it myself, and I occasionally do.

...and the next time I do, I'll be in a new house...

MyLittlePwny
2012-04-20, 07:35 PM
Dude, no lie. Best beans I've ever had.

Timothy Leary
2012-04-20, 07:35 PM
Mother of god i cannot believe all the jack stack love.

Pfreaky
2012-04-20, 07:40 PM

I like Jack Stack... like... but not love.

95PreludeSE
2012-04-20, 07:44 PM

Agreed. Definitely my least favorite BBQ in the city. WAY overrated.

Ryan H.
2012-04-20, 08:26 PM
Nobody likes Haywards on Antioch (OP)?

BTW, Kentucky sucks for BBQ....

uprrman23
2012-04-20, 08:42 PM
OK joes is the only place I'll eat in KC when it comes to BBQ. Hell for my birthday dinner I drove down there from lawrence to get a few slabs of ribs, lol.

If I don't get ribs, then I get the Chicken Z-man, that shit is the bomb.............. and those fries are OMG effing amazing.

I had high blood pressure and my doctor said that BBQ was the worst food to eat while having this. I told him to go ahead and order me some pills because I'll die before I give up BBQ.

solow5.0
2012-04-20, 09:49 PM
:wstupid: though I really haven't had a chance to try Indianapolis BBQ yet. At least Seattle has a saving grace over Kansas City with it's seafood.

The one place I had in Texas, while good, didn't compare to KC. Though it is hard to compare BBQ from the midwest, south and east. They all have a different style and flavor for the region. I bet very few people that grew up in a certian region of BBQ go to another region and like it better than home BBQ.

:yup: I am a Texas transplant. Two totally different styles of BBQ. I can't say that I prefer one over the other, but if it really came down to it I would choose Texas BBQ over Missouri BBQ :mrgreen:

88STANGGT
2012-04-20, 09:59 PM
Agreed. Definitely my least favorite BBQ in the city. WAY overrated.

It would still have to be above a lot of joints around. The ones not even mentioned.

Oxford03GT
2012-04-20, 10:01 PM
Ghetto ass LC's BBQ on blue parkway. I didnt want to stop to go in, then literally had the best BBQ I've ever had.

While I was there the owner got a call from the Chiefs, to cater this season. :lol:

carlos64030
2012-04-20, 10:15 PM
A few months ago when I was in KC, a friend of mine took me to some BBQ joint in South KC called Big T's. He says that him and a lot of the other officers considers that place to be the best BBQ joint in the KC metro. I thought it was pretty damn good too. The meats were extremely tender and the sauce was top notch.

Kyle H
2012-04-20, 10:52 PM
appreciate it now because you'll miss it when you're gone. fag

Word.

JDLM
2012-04-20, 11:00 PM
I have yet to eat at OK Joes...

Dont they have two locations? If so, which one is better?

some say the gas station

ReidStylez
2012-04-20, 11:10 PM
Nobody likes Haywards on Antioch (OP)?

I love their BBQ sauce. Probably one of my favorites. I like their fries too.

Their inside service is HORRIBLE!

carlos64030
2012-04-20, 11:24 PM

I don't think they're that good either. This is the place down by that train station, right?

bimmertech
2012-04-20, 11:35 PM
danny edwards destroys okie joes in terms of meat quality--by a huge margin.

ok joes is not even top 5 in my book--night of the living sauce keeps them in the top 10 though

broke91hatch
2012-04-21, 02:01 AM
Reading this on day 3 after a tonsilectomy wasn't a good idea, now I crave a Z-man from ok Joes. I will imagine my chicken broth and sherbert are BBQ.

Side note, what is that place in Lawrence on mass street called? Decent BBQ, portions and price are pretty good, the fries are killer.

broke91hatch
2012-04-21, 02:02 AM
Also, McGuires smokehouse in olathe is pretty good, but they are pricey.

88STANGGT
2012-04-21, 02:28 AM
First try ribs in smoker, too smokey, kinda bitter on the skin. Still edible and pretty good. Will use less smoke next time :thumbsup:

six bolt
2012-04-21, 04:59 AM
Jack Stack has the worst sauce in town. Good beans and average everything else. Too many white folk I guess..

Real talk.

LJRuddy
2012-04-21, 09:58 AM
Well thanks to this thread, I am gonna head over to OK Joes for lunch today. Anybody else wanna join? Probably get over there around 12:00-12:30pm. :cheers:

Mantooth
2012-04-21, 10:20 AM
Well thanks to this thread, I am gonna head over to OK Joes for lunch today. Anybody else wanna join? Probably get over there around 12:00-12:30pm. :cheers:

Free me some BBQ and overnight it(2 week it)? :puppy:

seven64
2012-04-21, 10:23 AM
Jack Stack has the worst sauce in town. Good beans and average everything else. Too many white folk I guess..

Real talk.

This.

Sauce to me is what makes the bbq and jack stack tastes bland and commercial. Their meat, and chicken wings in particular, are fucking amazing.

Gates is my favorite sauce by far, and my favorite bbq in town. I have a strange obsession for dirtier resturants, which is probably why I love taco via.

Oklahoma joes is my second choice, and famous daves isn't too bad either.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

LJRuddy
2012-04-21, 10:23 AM

Dry Ice and next day air should werq.

Mantooth
2012-04-21, 10:25 AM
Dry Ice and next day air should werq.

I don't think dry ice will last nearly two weeks haha. :(

Joe
2012-04-21, 11:31 AM
A few months ago when I was in KC, a friend of mine took me to some BBQ joint in South KC called Big T's. He says that him and a lot of the other officers considers that place to be the best BBQ joint in the KC metro. I thought it was pretty damn good too. The meats were extremely tender and the sauce was top notch.

I came in here to say this. Totally sketchy, but I loved Big T's the night I ate there. Around 6-7 police officers flew by with lights on (a sign of the area probably), but their sauce was amazing.

Best beans I've had to date are from a place called Sneads at 17101 Holmes.

Renegade
2012-04-21, 11:53 AM
www.smokehousebbq.com (http://www.smokehousebbq.com) They will ship to you.

here is a link to their "Shipping" page - http://smokehousebbq.com/ship/category.php?id_category=33

Ju
2012-04-21, 11:54 AM
Arthur Bryant's sauce is the bomb diggity.

snm95ls
2012-04-21, 11:57 AM

here is a link to their "Shipping" page - http://smokehousebbq.com/ship/category.php?id_category=33

:shock:

I did not know this...

:think:

Loves me some Smokehouse.

Renegade
2012-04-21, 12:08 PM
:shock:

I did not know this...

:think:

Loves me some Smokehouse.
I'm about to place about a $100 order. After I moved to Georgia, I was in a BBQ depression, so I got on the Smokehouse site and saw that they shipped! I was extremely excited, lol. My office all looked at me like I was crazy.

Mike V
2012-04-21, 12:36 PM
There are many bbq places in kc that I haven't been to but as a guy who prefers pulled pork over brisket, I really like OK Joes. I also like The Filling Station in Lee's Summit. The only other bbq places I've tried up there are Jack Stack and Gates. I liked them both but Ok Joes is still my favorite.

Renegade
2012-04-21, 01:22 PM
There are many bbq places in kc that I haven't been to but as a guy who prefers pulled pork over brisket, I really like OK Joes. I also like The Filling Station in Lee's Summit. The only other bbq places I've tried up there are Jack Stack and Gates. I liked them both but Ok Joes is still my favorite.
Best Pulled Pork IMO is at Smokehouse. My wife and I liked it so much we had them cater Pulled Pork and Burnt Ends to our Wedding Reception.

JDLM
2012-04-21, 01:23 PM

Don't think it will survive a trip to Africa :lol:

slugo17
2012-04-21, 11:14 PM
I just had it for the first time yesterday. I have to say I still prefer LC's and the original Arthur Bryants, it's definitely better than Jack Stack, but then again, Famous Daves has more flavor than JS.

Never been to Gates.

slugo17
2012-04-21, 11:16 PM
On a related note Sebaz placed 7th at a Springfield BBQ competition today. That big bastard can't cook a steak to save his live, he sure can smoke.

Slowleen
2012-04-22, 02:17 AM
T famous daves isn't too bad either.

Minnesota BBQ?

Mike V
2012-04-22, 02:28 AM
Best Pulled Pork IMO is at Smokehouse. My wife and I liked it so much we had them cater Pulled Pork and Burnt Ends to our Wedding Reception.

Ya know, I went to a Smokehouse ~5 years ago (it's a chain, right?) and I don't even remember what I had. I'll have to go back and try it. :thumbsup:

Slowleen
2012-04-22, 02:40 AM
Ya know, I went to a Smokehouse ~5 years ago (it's a chain, right?) and I don't even remember what I had. I'll have to go back and try it. :thumbsup:

They have 4 locations in KC, not really a "chain". Gates has six.

Famous Dave's has multiple locations in 35 states. That's a chain.

Mike V
2012-04-22, 02:48 AM
They have 4 locations in KC, not really a "chain". Gates has six.

Famous Dave's has multiple locations in 35 states. That's a chain.

Small chain vs. large chain. There doesn't have to be 100s of restaurants to be considered a chain. With 4, I consider that a small chain. If you disagree, that's just fine with me. :)

QwikSHO
2012-04-22, 03:04 AM
On a 'side' note, who in town deep fries their corn on the cob? I went to a place in STL called Pappy's and they would put their corn still wrapped in the husk in a deep fryer. Shit tasted like candy and I'd like to have more of it.

Pappy's was fucking delicious.

zef
2012-04-22, 05:56 AM
JackStack is my favorite in KC, but it's not even in the same universe as places like these three, where the recipes, families, and/or restaurants go back to before KC even existed.

Wilber's Barbecue in Goldsboro NC
http://www.wilbersbarbecue.com/
http://www.ncbbqsociety.com/images/trail_images/wilbers_web.jpg
http://inlinethumb37.webshots.com/42788/2634003740095510972S600x600Q85.jpg

(The Original) Parker’s Barbecue
2514 US Highway 301 South, Wilson, NC
http://bbqjew.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/parkerswilson-1.jpg
http://s3.amazonaws.com/trazzler-images/af/7816/Picture-1.jpg

Clyde Cooper’s Barbeque
http://clydecoopersbbq.com/
http://clydecoopersbbq.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/outside-building-and-van.jpg
http://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/01/14/15/04/cooper-s-bbq-and-ribs.jpg

zef
2012-04-22, 06:01 AM
... and if your place doesn't serve Brunswick Stew, then you need to go to one that does. ...

http://cookinfanatic.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/img_3246.jpg

http://livelovetobake.files.wordpress.com/2010/04/img_4839.jpg

zef
2012-04-22, 06:03 AM
To make Brunswick Stew, you gotta cook it in a big iron cauldron, outside, over an open fire.

http://biscuitsandsuch.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/brunswick-stew-8.jpg

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/virginiapolitics/STEW.jpg

http://media.independentmail.com/media/img/photos/2012/02/02/20120202_brunswick_stew01_t607.JPG

koolaid
2012-04-22, 12:12 PM

I love me some Brobecks!!! I usually try to get in there once a week for pulled pork and red beans and rice (Thursdays). I would suggest his Mustard sauce with the pork :)

I too agree that Jack Stack is okay at best. The times I have been there, the meat was dry.

OK Joe's is very good and I wouldn't hesitate to go there...alot.. LOL

Another suggestion for those who like decent BBQ with killer fries is All Slabbed Up in Leavenworth.

Hmmmmm...thinking I am having BBQ for lunch today

John

bimmertech
2012-04-22, 12:40 PM
JackStack is my favorite in KC, but it's not even in the same universe as places like these three, where the recipes, families, and/or restaurants go back to before KC even existed.

Wilber's Barbecue in Goldsboro NC

i could not feel any more opposite than you concerning NC "bbq" i lived in goldsberry for 4 years and dreaded everytime friends wanted to get bbq. there is just so much more to bbq than pulled pork and vinegar.

Ricerking13
2012-04-22, 01:49 PM
i could not feel any more opposite than you concerning NC "bbq" i lived in goldsberry for 4 years and dreaded everytime friends wanted to get bbq. there is just so much more to bbq than pulled pork and vinegar.

Couldn't agree with you more.

2slow4u
2012-04-22, 01:58 PM
Never been a big fan of Oklahoma Joe's for some reason. My fav's are BB's and RJ's BBQ.

Ryan

xXSTi-lynXx
2012-04-22, 02:08 PM
Okie joes and gates, best BBQ in KC which means best in the world.
KC is like pilgrimage for BBQ.
I lived in a group home in Montana for a year when I was 16, lived with 10 other guys from all around America , we had the whole BBQ debate, I LOL'd at the guys from California saying they have the best BBQ . My parents sent a box of gates hot and spicy sauce, argument ended. KC is BBQ

MyLittlePwny
2012-04-22, 03:55 PM
I'm going to be honest, those pictures, minus the stew, look fucking awful lol

Nick B
2012-04-22, 04:44 PM
I'm going to be honest, those pictures, minus the stew, look fucking awful lol

agreed...kw what is that crap? who eats corn and green slop with their bbq? no thank you!

please don't ban me :lol2:

The Lox
2012-04-22, 08:18 PM
I had a Z-man and Fries for lunch yesterday while I was working on my rental place...confirmed that shit is so good...

Ryan D
2012-04-23, 08:53 AM
To me, Oklahoma Joe's isn't the best. It's okay, but doesn't stand out from the pack.

phreakdna
2012-04-23, 09:55 AM
this. I specifically made my wife take a side trip up to NC when we were in Charleston for a wedding so that I could try to get good NC-style BBQ... I still catch shit about it - was not very impressed.

imo this picture says it all:
http://s3.amazonaws.com/trazzler-images/af/7816/Picture-1.jpg
was that pork shredded in a blender? it seems like it could be reformed into a patty and then grilled like a burger.

I can appreciate the regional differences in BBQ (Charlie Vargas' Rendezvous in Memphis makes my favorite ribs - and I'm from StL) but NC BBQ isn't up to snuff imo.

Ryan D
2012-04-23, 10:13 AM
I tried a new BBQ place in Belton this weekend called The Little Pig. Ribs were amazing, BBQ pit beans were very good and so were the burnt ends. Cheesy corn sucked. Was bland.

Zach1213
2012-06-13, 09:54 AM
I do love Oklahoma Joes, but I think Jack Stack is slightly better, to be honest.

ReidStylez
2012-06-13, 10:05 AM
Jack Stacks service is worse than McDonald's.

Ryan D
2012-06-13, 10:24 AM
Jack Stacks service is worse than McDonald's.

LOL wut

ILuvJDM
2012-06-13, 10:37 AM
Okie joes and gates, best BBQ in KC which means best in the world.
KC is like pilgrimage for BBQ.
I lived in a group home in Montana for a year when I was 16, lived with 10 other guys from all around America , we had the whole BBQ debate, I LOL'd at the guys from California saying they have the best BBQ . My parents sent a box of gates hot and spicy sauce, argument ended. KC is BBQ

ever been to Texas?

MyLittlePwny
2012-06-13, 10:55 AM
Texas BBQ is fucking awful. I have spent a ton of time traveling Texas for work and was so disappointed with their BBQ. I hate their sauce too, but I think that's just because I grew up here and I'm used to the sweet and spicy sauce rather than shit brown liquid smoke.

Kyle H
2012-06-13, 11:02 AM
You guys should try this new place called Burnt Ends on 135th and Nieman. From what I here the pit master used to be the pit master at Jack Stack and got hired away. Went there when I was in town over Memorial Day and the food was great.

ReidStylez
2012-06-13, 11:14 AM
LOL wut

The last 3 times I've been there (95th and Metcalf) our service has been a joke.

ILuvJDM
2012-06-13, 12:44 PM
Texas BBQ is fucking awful. I have spent a ton of time traveling Texas for work and was so disappointed with their BBQ. I hate their sauce too, but I think that's just because I grew up here and I'm used to the sweet and spicy sauce rather than shit brown liquid smoke.

Texas BBQ doesn't need sauce because the meat has flavor, it doesn't need to be smothered in sauce, if you put sauce on it that's a shame. I'm used to smoked brisket that falls apart when you eat it which I have yet to find here. I've been to Gates and it was terrible, tasted like meat covered in ketchup.

OK Joes is good, and I like Jack Stacks - they both have pit beans that are fucking amazing. Jack Stacks took FOREVER to get the food when we went yesterday to the location on 95th and Metcalf. But when I got a burnt end sandwhich at the location far East on 135th and like Warden st. or something - that was titties.

Go to Lockhart, TX and get some real BBQ (about 30mins east of Austin)

MyLittlePwny
2012-06-13, 01:01 PM
LOL Every single place I have eaten in Texas serves their meat wet. Have YOU been to Texas?

ItalionStallion888
2012-06-13, 01:22 PM
Texas dry rub based bbq?

ha, more sauce then I've ever seen on bbq

Nick B
2012-06-13, 01:26 PM
Texas dry rub based bbq?

ha, more sauce then I've ever seen on bbq

i recently had some amazing ribs cooked by a buddy who got a trashbag full of rub from an old black guy who runs a hole in the wall bbq place down in texas... it was dry rub mixed with mustard and holy fuck me that was meat so good it didn't need any sauce.

ItalionStallion888
2012-06-13, 01:29 PM
i recently had some amazing ribs cooked by a buddy who got a trashbag full of rub from an old black guy who runs a hole in the wall bbq place down in texas... it was dry rub mixed with mustard and holy fuck me that was meat so good it didn't need any sauce.

dry rub base, but most if not all texas bbq that I've had/seen was covered in bbq sauce mid way through the smoking process.

ILuvJDM
2012-06-13, 03:40 PM
dry rub base, but most if not all texas bbq that I've had/seen was covered in bbq sauce mid way through the smoking process.

I'm referring to the way it's served, not cooked. Putting sauce on a brisket that is being smoked is different than putting it on a plate and covering it in sauce. There is just a tiny ring around the edge that has "sauce" on it, because by the time it's served it's usually cooked up or "dry" anyways.

LOL Every single place I have eaten in Texas serves their meat wet. Have YOU been to Texas?

I was born and raised in Texas... lived there for 23 years :loco:

Until you have gone to an actual BBQ joint, and not a restaurant, then you cannot comment on Texas BBQ. Go to a place that serves freshly sliced brisket and sausage on a piece of butcher paper, throws onions and pickles and fresh white bread and wraps it up - that's real BBQ

Texas BBQ:
http://www.sptsb.com/Blacks2.jpg

Examples:
Cooper's (Llano)
Louie Mueller's (Taylor)
Black's (Lockhart)
Kreuz (Lockhart)
Southside Market (Elgin)
Meyer's (Elgin)
Salt Lick (Driftwood)
Otto's (Houston)
William's Smokehouse (Houston)
Thelma's (Houston)
Goode and Company (Houston)

I grew up in a small town called Bastrop which is 30mins from Austin, 15mins from Elgin and 2 hours from Houston. I've eaten at most of those places, and until you have eaten at some of those places you cannot comment on Texas BBQ. I should probably narrow it down to Hill Country or Central Texas BBQ instead...

titties.
http://texasbbqguide.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/salt-lick-bbq-pit.jpg

http://activerain.com/image_store/uploads/1/2/8/4/0/ar122874886604821.jpg

http://kevinsbbqjoints.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/Blacks22.jpg

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/photo/2008/11/26/PH2008112602240.jpg

MyLittlePwny
2012-06-13, 05:54 PM
lol I can't take you serious.

CherryGun
2012-07-01, 04:21 PM
LC's Burnt ends. Ask for the burnt end special, it comes with fries for $7.50. Its not on the menu-Specify that you want the SPECIAL burnt end!

SC/TGrandAm
2012-07-02, 01:08 AM
When I think of BBQ I can't think of Texas. That's like saying St Louis has good BBQ.

JS2FST1
2012-07-03, 03:53 AM
Better yes! Best in Kc no way!

1999blackSVT
2012-07-03, 03:30 PM
Born and raised in MO. Lived in or around KC 6 of the last 8 years. I believe good bbq can be found anywhere. Some of the best bbq I have had was not served in a known establishment. Bbq is only as good as what you put into it. I'm in the military and have had bbq from all over America. Not one was the same, nor was the best bbq in Texas, NC, or Memphis better than the other.

I have talked with active duty from all over this country and most agree KC has the "most" options of bbq. The majority think Oklahoma Joes is the best from top to bottom.

BuddyLee
2012-07-03, 03:35 PM
I just ate a Z Man for lunch. I can confrim that it is indeed the best BBQ.

uprrman23
2012-07-03, 03:39 PM
I just ate a Z Man for lunch. I can confrim that it is indeed the best BBQ.

gross, you got it two hours ago and just ate it? it's better fresh!

BuddyLee
2012-07-03, 03:40 PM
gross, you got it two hours ago and just ate it? it's better fresh!

:lolg:

Sylva
2012-07-03, 08:50 PM

MyLittlePwny
2012-07-03, 11:48 PM
I didn't see where Reid said that before but I agree 100%.

KC Jayhawk 78
2012-08-18, 10:18 AM

Nope ! , top 3 for sure , but not the best

crazykcparty
2012-08-20, 01:42 PM
Z-man, no contest.

cheesy corn from jack stack is the bee's knee's.

Like he said.

SmartGuysDesign
2012-08-20, 04:29 PM
IMHO: Real BBQ does not consist of sandwiches, or sides... The mail-order portion of Jack Stack's business does not thrive on sale of sandwiches... BBQ should be judged on one main dish --- pork ribs. If you get them fresh from Jack Stack, they are truly great. I think that Oklahoma Joes is good but not as good. Fries are delicious, albeit probably consisting of frozen food-service fries sprinkled with a mixture of generic Lawry's + MSG. As with most restaurants, the food isn't as good when it gets really busy. But I can tell you that pork ribs from the Jack Stack in Martin City on any weekday afternoon are usually very fresh and always delicious.

Mike V
2012-08-20, 04:42 PM
Nope ! , top 3 for sure , but not the best

What do you think is the best BBQ?

IMHO: Real BBQ does not consist of sandwiches, or sides... The mail-order portion of Jack Stack's business does not thrive on sale of sandwiches... BBQ should be judged on one main dish --- pork ribs. If you get them fresh from Jack Stack, they are truly great. I think that Oklahoma Joes is good but not as good. Fries are delicious, albeit probably consisting of frozen food-service fries sprinkled with a mixture of generic Lawry's + MSG. As with most restaurants, the food isn't as good when it gets really busy. But I can tell you that pork ribs from the Jack Stack in Martin City on any weekday afternoon are usually very fresh and always delicious.

Good point on food not being as good when the restaurant is busy. I really like OK Joe's but when it's busy, it's not always great. My last trip there was around 2 pm, so we were able to walk right up to the counter instead of standing in a line that is usually backed up to the door. It was the best lunch I've ever had there.

BuddyLee
2012-08-20, 05:47 PM

You shut your whore mouth. God himself will smite you for talking bad about the z-man, which can only be described as on thing, DIVINE.

KC Jayhawk 78
2012-08-20, 07:43 PM
I personally would rather eat at a restaurant when its busy as hell. That way I know for sure they arent reheating something made earlier and slinging it to me. If a restaurant is super busy, you know theyre cooking all their best sellers fresh. Sooo many times Ive been later in the evening or in the afternoon after the lunch rush and got subpar food. As for the best bbq in KC, I judge a bbq joint on three things. Burnt ends, ribs and brisket. Ok Joes does burnt ends for lunch on monday and dinner on wednesday. This is a travesty. Their ribs I rank behind BB's, Jackstack, and Gates. Their brisket I rank behind Bryants and Gates. Their burnt ends are excellent, but as said above , not always accessible. I like certain meats better from certain places. Overall , Id say BB's or Jackstack is the two I like best. This is total overall experience. Not just one sandwich. How many people that preach Zman Zman Zman , have had the ribs, the sausage, the chicken, the burnt ends, and tried all the sides ??? I have personally tried every item at Ok Joes. I remember ten years ago when Joes was relatively unknown, everyone was jocking Gates. To each his own, but dont say whats best when you havent tried the rest. My motto...... if you dont go, you wont know.

hahatanka
2012-09-25, 11:01 PM
Wanted to reply to a couple of food threads, but when I logged in couldn't find them. So here's my posting.

Strouds is good, but go the the one up north at 5 pm or wait forever. We used to go there when they did Thanksgiving. For a family of 4 best was the way to go.

My son & I used to eat at Grinders at least once a month. But that was years ago. It got terrible. Maybe they've come back.

BB's Lawnside. I love Lindsey & his wife Jo. Nicest people on the planet. Food is great except I wish they had something other than sweet potato fries. Only reason we don't go there as it's too far a drive under the DUI checkpoints and there's no damn dance floor.

Famous Daves & Jack Stack. WHAT??? BBQ requires a place where you see a man in a suit eating at the counter next to a guy in greasy overalls. While they can smell the meat cooking. If you're in a BBQ place with tablecloths you not in a real BBQ joint

cbryant1990
2012-09-25, 11:08 PM
Wanted to reply to a couple of food threads, but when I logged in couldn't find them. So here's my posting.

Strouds is good, but go the the one up north at 5 pm or wait forever. We used to go there when they did Thanksgiving. For a family of 4 best was the way to go.

My son & I used to eat at Grinders at least once a month. But that was years ago. It got terrible. Maybe they've come back.

BB's Lawnside. I love Lindsey & his wife Jo. Nicest people on the planet. Food is great except I wish they had something other than sweet potato fries. Only reason we don't go there as it's too far a drive under the DUI checkpoints and there's no damn dance floor.

Famous Daves & Jack Stack. WHAT??? BBQ requires a place where you see a man in a suit eating at the counter next to a guy in greasy overalls. While they can smell the meat cooking. If you're in a BBQ place with tablecloths you not in a real BBQ joint

I agree and disagree with this statement. Jack Stack is one of my favorite BBQ/steak house around. Awesome sauces, meats are always perfect. It doesnt help that i work within nose distance from Jack Stack.

Oklahoma joes is creeping up to the top of my BBQ list. Me and the woman make it oklahoma joes atleast once a week and stand in line for 30 minutes with out second thought.

Hap Hazard
2012-09-25, 11:10 PM
http://i.imgur.com/G0qXi.gif

KC Jayhawk 78
2012-09-28, 11:41 PM
LMAO , that Lama or whatever the fuck that is , is cracking me the fuck up , lol

JR civic SI
2012-10-01, 01:24 AM
Any one ever been to wil jennys? Go there and get a louie mueler...or just about anything the ENTIRE menu is delicious.

mikeymartin1979
2012-10-12, 12:36 PM
I don't think there's a "best" - just different varieties of greatness. Any time a friend comes to visit me in KC they ask me the same question, and it' just not possible to answer!!! I think Arthur Bryant's are McGonigles are both severely underrated, but they're both very different.

HoneyPot
2012-10-12, 01:39 PM
Any one ever been to wil jennys? Go there and get a louie mueler...or just about anything the ENTIRE menu is delicious.

Yes! Nach0 and I go to Will Jenny's every once in a while, and we've both enjoyed everything we've had off of their menu. Our absolute favorite is the Armadillo Eggs, their version of jalapeno poppers. Have yet to encounter something that wasn't good.

xXSTi-lynXx
2012-10-12, 01:47 PM
Oklahoma joes is the best BBQ in KC, making it the best BBQ in the world-Anthony bourdain

MattCM
2012-10-12, 02:00 PM
I raise my hand for OK Joes, on a side note has anyone had the new JR's on 135th and Quivera? It wasn't too bad!

Ryan D
2012-10-12, 02:25 PM
Oklahoma joes is the best BBQ in KC, making it the best BBQ in the world-Anthony bourdain

He isn't always right.

cbryant1990
2012-10-12, 09:36 PM
He isn't always right.

But he is on tv. That means he is never wrong!

Sent from my Galaxy SII

MyLittlePwny
2012-10-12, 09:45 PM
I tried the z man again last time I was up there and it was WAY better than the first couple of times I was up there. It was definitely up there with the best bbq sandwich I've ever had, maybe the best, sandwich wise.

CherryGun
2012-10-12, 09:50 PM
Too much bun and not enough meat! LCs or Arthur bryants gives you twice the amount of meat and half the amount of bread. Not to mention the sauces are waaay better. LCs being #1 Aurthurs #2.

boostedRX7
2012-12-24, 01:50 AM
What about smokin guns bbq? that's the best then ok Joe's IMO

KC Jayhawk 78
2013-01-01, 08:07 PM
What about smokin guns bbq? that's the best then ok Joe's IMO

Great burnt ends at Smokin Guns. New dining room opens tomorrow ! :cheers:

tim_ws6
2013-01-01, 10:40 PM
Had a Z Man this past Friday night, shit was fucking delicious.

I really want to try Smokin Guns. I like using their rubs and sauces.

It's hard for me to say what place is actually the best BBQ in KC, there's so many places that are just so good you can't really pin it down to one. My favorites would be Johnny's, RJ's, Papa Bob's, Gates, Ok Joe's

uprrman23
2013-01-01, 10:53 PM

It's hard for me to say what place is actually the best BBQ in KC, there's so many places that are just so good you can't really pin it down to one. My favorites would be Johnny's, RJ's, Papa Bob's, Gates, Ok Joe's

try the chicken Z man next time, it's amazing.

JS2FST1
2013-01-02, 02:19 PM

Papa bob's go down the street and try roscoes by 4-35 and k 32

BuddyLee
2013-01-02, 10:31 PM
try the chicken Z man next time, it's amazing.

Nonsense. Beef > chicken

cbryant1990
2013-01-03, 09:53 AM
Nonsense. Beef > chicken

nonsense. pulled pork > beef.

try the Carolina. only get it with pulled pork and brisket. your mouth will thank you.

turboiwish
2013-01-14, 08:59 PM
You guys should try this new place called Burnt Ends on 135th and Nieman. From what I here the pit master used to be the pit master at Jack Stack and got hired away. Went there when I was in town over Memorial Day and the food was great.
I work close by and love this place sauce is different but awesome. burnt ends are top notch.

uniqueimage
2013-01-17, 10:56 PM
Ghetto ass LC's BBQ on blue parkway. I didnt want to stop to go in, then literally had the best BBQ I've ever had.

While I was there the owner got a call from the Chiefs, to cater this season. :lol:

the best by far... hole in the wall wins all the real competitions!!! yes cater to chiefs alot and have very many famous actors pics inside their little shack... must be a reason..:cheers:
im a big guy and i approve this message!

joesstripclub
2013-01-22, 02:08 PM
nonsense. pulled pork > beef.

try the Carolina. only get it with pulled pork and brisket. your mouth will thank you.

Pulled pork > chicken > beef. In regards to Z-man options anyway.