PDA

View Full Version : Home Siding Options - Recommendations?

Corners
2012-05-14, 07:15 AM
Vinyl? AL? Hardibacker? Something else?

Does anyone have any experience with these? I'm looking into redoing the siding on my home. There are a couple issues, 1) The house could use a new coat of paint, 2) the bottom edge of the existing sheathing in a couple places has absorbed water and started to bubble and curl, and 3) 2 owners ago (not the last owners who were foreclosed on, but the ones before them that live in the house for 25+ years) installed stained shake shingles over the sheathing on the front of the house, which I hate.

Each has their own pros and cons. I was leaning towards vinyl, but I just don't know. I also want new windows and doors installed as well. Should be a decent sized job for someone. Basically, I want someone to tear off all the shake on the front of the house, tear out any rotted siding, replace the windows, front door, back door, and back sliding door. Then, side the house.

If anyone has any experience with siding, let me know what you think. I plan to stay in this home for some time, so I want a low maintenance solution. Also, if you have any crew recommendations, let me know that as well, and I'll hit them up for a quote.

69Mach351
2012-05-14, 09:11 AM
I have had vinyl on two homes that I have lived in and I believe it was seamless aluminum on the other. I would go with the seamless, as it appears to hold up better over time.

One house we bought had vinyl on it before we got there (probably 5-10 years old) and you just start to notice gaps in the seams over time and the vinyl trim didn't seem real sturdy IMO. Some prick shot it with a pellet gun too, and caused a crack/hole in it that was about the size of a dime.

Ebanks
2012-05-14, 10:06 AM
Is there a standard in the neighborhood for siding?

Corners
2012-05-14, 10:50 AM
Is there a standard in the neighborhood for siding?

Doesn't appear to be. My neighbor to the east has vinyl, as well as the neighbor to the NW. Mine has the shakes on the front. Everyone else just has the board and batten.

I had one thought of doing something a little nicer on the front, and vinyl on the sides and back. Right now, I have brick halfway up across the front of the house. I could have the front stucco'd, or something.

Here's a pic off the appraiser's website in its foreclosed state. All cleaned up now, but the shakes still remain....
http://i49.tinypic.com/2dimzuq.jpg

gftgrill
2012-05-14, 12:00 PM
vinyl - with age is prone to cracking/breaking from impact. Can't be painted, so no maintenance

aluminum - dents and requires painting at some point. doesn't crack/break from impact

wood - rots, needs paint/maintenance. easy to replace damaged sections one by one

I have the wood boards on my house and I don't like it because it's always requiring me to fix something. I personally like the look of vinyl and you can get extra insulation installed behind the vinyl which will help with heating/cooling bills.

Ebanks
2012-05-14, 12:05 PM
I guess it depends on what the neighborhood will support really value wise. Personally I think the Hardie Cement product is what I would go with, but if all your neighbors have Vinyl or Aluminum it may be overkill. One thing I've found from over-improving is that while I may not get as big of a return on investment when I sell as if I'd done something cheaper, I almost always sell quicker than anyone else around me does. It ends up saving me money in interest, etc. while carrying a house I had been trying to sell for so long.

You could do the vertical Hardie siding on the sides and back to replace what is there and you could do the HardieShingle (http://www.jameshardie.com/homeowner/products_siding_hardieshingleSiding.py) in a contrasting color or style in the varying areas on the front.

69Mach351
2012-05-14, 12:34 PM
I think that the front would look good with stucco. A lot of homes have the stucco with some sort of framing (like you already have) around it.

Corners
2012-05-14, 01:00 PM
I guess it depends on what the neighborhood will support really value wise. Personally I think the Hardie Cement product is what I would go with, but if all your neighbors have Vinyl or Aluminum it may be overkill. One thing I've found from over-improving is that while I may not get as big of a return on investment when I sell as if I'd done something cheaper, I almost always sell quicker than anyone else around me does. It ends up saving me money in interest, etc. while carrying a house I had been trying to sell for so long.

You could do the vertical Hardie siding on the sides and back to replace what is there and you could do the HardieShingle (http://www.jameshardie.com/homeowner/products_siding_hardieshingleSiding.py) in a contrasting color or style in the varying areas on the front.

Yeah, you definitely do not want to own the most expensive home in the neighborhood. There's only a couple homes done in vinyl. Most are still the original board and batten.

I do like the Hardie products, but they must be painted. I know the paint is supposed to adhere better for nice, fresh Hardie board, but you still have to paint it. But, it's nice, durable, and insect resistant. They all have their pros and cons.

JPage
2012-05-14, 02:56 PM
What about the composite polymer siding or whatever it is? Always hearing commercials about it on the radio.

nusch
2012-05-14, 06:03 PM
On Thursday I'm going to start redoing my front siding with Smart Board LP in a board lap arrangement. It sells for $6 per board at the Home Depot, 16' x 6" (5 inch visible slats after install, they also sell an 8" version but I don't know price).

Also, I just had a great company fix the wood rot and paint the sides and back of the house. The companies name is Promiere... http://www.promierepainting.com/index.php

Good Luck!

inis
2012-05-15, 05:26 PM
james hardie, stuff last forever.

Jalt28
2012-05-17, 09:05 AM
sounds like everything is getting fixed EXCEPT those windows and doors and thats where i come in pm me your number and ill come give you a bid

Corners
2012-05-17, 10:58 AM
sounds like everything is getting fixed EXCEPT those windows and doors and thats where i come in pm me your number and ill come give you a bid

Thanks. I may just do that. However, I wanted to talk to the siding guys first. I wanted to know what how they actually attach the siding, and if I can install the replacement windows prior. If I can install the replacement windows, I'll probably just do it myself. Windows are pretty easy. I've actually done one in this house. There are only 7 windows to do (no counting the 2 picture windows. I can knock them out in a day by myself, easy. The doors I might have someone else do those for me.

Jalt28
2012-05-17, 09:26 PM
Thanks. I may just do that. However, I wanted to talk to the siding guys first. I wanted to know what how they actually attach the siding, and if I can install the replacement windows prior. If I can install the replacement windows, I'll probably just do it myself. Windows are pretty easy. I've actually done one in this house. There are only 7 windows to do (no counting the 2 picture windows. I can knock them out in a day by myself, easy. The doors I might have someone else do those for me.

windows can be done before or after it does not matter especially replacement windows good luck and feel free to pm me if you need some help or to get those doors done

BUZZZN
2012-05-17, 11:03 PM
I installed Hardie products for two years in KC. I'd highly recommend the stuff. Some people think it only comes with primer and has to be painted. But they offer their lap, panels, and trim painted! It's a baked on process that is very durable, and have a fairly nice selection of colors to choose from.

Excellent warranty 30 years/ transferable. I'm pretty sure it's 30 years. But it has to be installed according to their instructions. I'd recommend a Hardie Preferred contractor, which is who I worked for and is required to install their product accordingly. It's resistant to mildew, rot, bugs, hail, golf balls, pellet guns, etc. And it's even fire PROOF. It will not burn, and most insurance companies will even lower your insurance due to this. It's pricey, but I think well worth it in the long run. If you have anymore questions feel free to PM me.

Corners
2012-05-18, 01:46 AM
I installed Hardie products for two years in KC. I'd highly recommend the stuff. Some people think it only comes with primer and has to be painted. But they offer their lap, panels, and trim painted! It's a baked on process that is very durable, and have a fairly nice selection of colors to choose from.

Excellent warranty 30 years/ transferable. I'm pretty sure it's 30 years. But it has to be installed according to their instructions. I'd recommend a Hardie Preferred contractor, which is who I worked for and is required to install their product accordingly. It's resistant to mildew, rot, bugs, hail, golf balls, pellet guns, etc. And it's even fire PROOF. It will not burn, and most insurance companies will even lower your insurance due to this. It's pricey, but I think well worth it in the long run. If you have anymore questions feel free to PM me.

So you do, or did work for a contractor that installs the Hardie stuff? Got a contact?

Have a ballpark figure into what it'd cost to side a 2000sf split that looks like the picture I posted above?

The Lox
2012-05-18, 02:27 PM
I have the "concrete" type lap siding on my house in KC and I really liked it. Its easy to install and very easy to maintain. I have never heard of the Hardie products, but what I am talking about is similar to Hardie Backer board, but in 6" wide slats. My old man has had cedar shake siding on his house for close to 30 years and with good paint those will last forever and are also easy to replace here or there...

BUZZZN
2012-05-18, 04:44 PM
So you do, or did work for a contractor that installs the Hardie stuff? Got a contact?

Have a ballpark figure into what it'd cost to side a 2000sf split that looks like the picture I posted above?

I did work for the contractor. As far as pricing, no idea. Installer only. Name is Wes
http://www.diamondcompanies.net/

BUZZZN
2012-05-18, 04:46 PM
I have the "concrete" type lap siding on my house in KC and I really liked it. Its easy to install and very easy to maintain. I have never heard of the Hardie products, but what I am talking about is similar to Hardie Backer board, but in 6" wide slats. My old man has had cedar shake siding on his house for close to 30 years and with good paint those will last forever and are also easy to replace here or there...

There are various brands of concrete based siding. Hardie makes different widths. It depends on what you want for a reveal. The most popular is the 7 1/4 wide with 6" reveal. You can go all the way up to 12" and down to 4 1/4.

privatejoker
2012-05-19, 09:31 PM
Vinyl is cheap, low maintenance, and easy to install. However, I think stucco would look best. IMO, the deciding factor should be your home's value compared to the houses around you.

BUZZZN
2012-05-19, 10:46 PM
Vinyl is cheap, low maintenance, and easy to install. However, I think stucco would look best. IMO, the deciding factor should be your home's value compared to the houses around you.

I've removed more stucco off of houses in KC than I care to mention. The stuff needs to stay in the south/southwest/west. It's not all that great dealing with the heat/freezing KC goes through, but it's fast and looks good so contractors continue to do it. The biggest problem I have seen is cracking and falling away. Which then leads to water damage, wood rot, mold, mildew. Just my .02

The Lox
2012-05-19, 11:32 PM
I've removed more stucco off of houses in KC than I care to mention. The stuff needs to stay in the south/southwest/west. It's not all that great dealing with the heat/freezing KC goes through, but it's fast and looks good so contractors continue to do it. The biggest problem I have seen is cracking and falling away. Which then leads to water damage, wood rot, mold, mildew. Just my .02

I hate, hate, hate stucco....unfortunately they apply texture like that on all the interior walls in houses down here, shit really bothers me..

BUZZZN
2012-05-20, 11:35 PM
I hate, hate, hate stucco....unfortunately they apply texture like that on all the interior walls in houses down here, shit really bothers me..

Interior walls? Never seen that before.

badstr
2012-05-21, 10:28 PM
im third gen of remodlers and i can tell you that if you are thinking about viynl then spend the money on a good quality product not lumber yard grade or you well not be happy.
ive hung about all the brands at one time or another and you get what you pay for.