PDA

View Full Version : Anniversary Dinner

ItalionStallion888
2012-07-13, 11:21 AM
Generally we stay at the Chateau avalon for our wedding anniversary. This year we have decided to put those funds toward some things we are trying to pay down. We would rather just go somewhere really nice for dinner. We've been to just about everywhere in the Joco/downtown area. I'm looking for suggestions outside of this area. No sea food. 4 or 5 star is what we are looking for.

chaseme
2012-07-13, 11:24 AM
Maybe Justus Drugstore?

http://www.drugstorerestaurant.com

06g35meister
2012-07-13, 11:28 AM
Plaza 3 IMO. Where we go every time I am looking for a REALLY nice client dinner or date night.

Or something that took me by surprise for a really upscale american joint is Sullivans at 119th and Roe, went there last night and had a really good time and got more service/better food than I expected...

BuddyLee
2012-07-13, 11:29 AM
Generally we stay at the Chateau avalon for our wedding anniversary. This year we have decided to put those funds toward some things we are trying to pay down. We would rather just go somewhere really nice for dinner. We've been to just about everywhere in the Joco/downtown area. I'm looking for suggestions outside of this area. No sea food. 4 or 5 star is what we are looking for.

My first suggestion doesn't fall under 4 or 5 star dining, but in terms of an absolutely fun and fantastic fucking time, go to Tassos. Get a reservation for around 700 or 730 on a Friday or Sat. Plan on spending about $100ish and staying for a couple hours. Must love Greek food of course.

Plaza III for a fine steak dinner would be another suggestion

Le Lou Frog for a great French meal

The Classic Cup on the Plaza

Pierponts in Union Station is nice and a romantic atmosphere

The Lox
2012-07-13, 12:50 PM
Have you been to Em Chamas up north? That would be a pretty boss place to go. Jill and I went to a brazillian grill for our first anniversary that we were down here...

ItalionStallion888
2012-07-13, 01:30 PM
Have you been to Em Chamas up north? That would be a pretty boss place to go. Jill and I went to a brazillian grill for our first anniversary that we were down here...

I have not, but I've heard a lot of great things about it.

BuddyLee
2012-07-13, 01:40 PM
I have not, but I've heard a lot of great things about it.

It's very good. Very similar to Fogo on the plaza.

amclint
2012-07-13, 02:30 PM
+1 for Justus in my area, plan on a few hundred for dinner and a few hours.

If you haven't tried it Piropos (grab a seat with a view of downtown) is great too.

peckergnat
2012-07-15, 10:13 AM

Went here last night with the wife for the first time. It is very delicious.

Mobbes
2012-07-15, 05:38 PM
Em Chamas is great. JT best food we have had in a LONG time was at Captial Grille. I don't have many other suggestions though.

ItalionStallion888
2012-07-15, 11:21 PM
We like to finish our meals with a cup of coffee when we go out. I'm looking for something with a nice view. Either on a patio/deck or through the windows. Shes not a big red meat eater. She usually gets a chicken type dish. Good wine spearing with the meal. Our 3 favorite places are riccos, j. Gilbert's and bravos.

FOACAD
2012-07-16, 01:31 AM
Maybe Justus Drugstore?

http://www.drugstorerestaurant.com
Gonna have to try this next time the wife and I are both in KC together.

LOLYouAreFunny
2012-07-16, 08:33 PM
We had our Christmas Party at Piropo's in Briarcliff. Just outside Riverside. Beautiful view of downtown from just north of the river. Food was fantastic, slightly above my normal taste, but that's just me.

ItalionStallion888
2012-07-16, 10:30 PM
Some where close we could go grab drinks at after. Not pnl, more like the other place type bar. Sorry I'm just putting this night together as I run ideas by her.

Beowulf
2012-07-17, 12:22 PM
Went to Starkers (on the plaza) for my 6 year anniversary w/ my ex. Definitely a good place.

Ryan D
2012-07-17, 12:51 PM
The American

Billy Mild
2012-07-17, 05:24 PM
I'm shocked by this, but what about The Majestic? Its by far one of the best restaurants I have eaten at in KC. The vibe is awesome.

Joe
2012-07-19, 04:23 PM
Not to steal your thread, but I'm planning an anniversary dinner as well. I made reservations for Em Chamas, looks like fun. I would also like to ask if anyone had any thoughts after dinner? Thanks in advance, and sorry JT for hijacking. :cheers:

ItalionStallion888
2012-07-19, 04:24 PM
Not to steal your thread, but I'm planning an anniversary dinner as well. I made reservations for Em Chamas, looks like fun. I would also like to ask if anyone had any thoughts after dinner? Thanks in advance, and sorry JT for hijacking. :cheers:

no hijacking here sir

Billy Mild
2012-07-19, 04:57 PM

Go downtown.

Sully
2012-07-19, 07:41 PM
Michael Smith has to be one of the best around. How many other chefs around KC are James Beard winners?

BuddyLee
2012-07-20, 08:19 AM
Michael Smith has to be one of the best around. How many other chefs around KC are James Beard winners?

Where is Chef Smith located?

06g35meister
2012-07-20, 09:07 AM
Where is Chef Smith located?
http://michaelsmithkc.com/
http://www.michaelsmithkc.com/index.php/hours-and-directions-to-michael-smith-restaurant-kc-crossroads/

SC/TGrandAm
2012-07-21, 10:29 PM
I would suggest Pierpos as well if you haven't already gone. Good food and awesome views. No bars at Briarcliff, but there are some around within a 5-10 minute drive whether you go back downtown or riverside/NKC, etc.

I forget what the other place is? Sports bar? Sports bar wise there is Chappel's in North Kansas City which is one of the top sports bars in America if you haven't been. Sports museum inside as well. Something cool and different if you haven't been. It's on Armour Rd in North Kansas City in the downtown part.

HoneyPot
2012-07-25, 04:38 PM
My husband and I have celebrated every anniversary for the past 10 years at the Capital Grille on the Plaza. We are placed with the same server every year who remembers our names, the wine I like and our favorite appetizer. The service is a step above any other restaurant we've eaten at, including the likes of the Plaza III. And the food can't be beat. If you like calamari, you won't want to order it anywhere else after having it at the Capital. There is not a thing on the menu that hasn't been just fantastic, and we've tried just about everything!

ItalionStallion888
2012-07-25, 11:33 PM
My husband and I have celebrated every anniversary for the past 10 years at the Capital Grille on the Plaza. We are placed with the same server every year who remembers our names, the wine I like and our favorite appetizer. The service is a step above any other restaurant we've eaten at, including the likes of the Plaza III. And the food can't be beat. If you like calamari, you won't want to order it anywhere else after having it at the Capital. There is not a thing on the menu that hasn't been just fantastic, and we've tried just about everything!

Isn't the menu mostly sea food?

HoneyPot
2012-07-26, 09:10 AM
Not at all. They've got a good variety of seafood (lobster/crab/shellfish), fish, steak, and lamb. Great appetizers, salads and sides as well. The sides come out family styles, so there would be plenty for a vegetarian to enjoy as well. Oh, and don't get me started on the wine selection and desserts.

Here is some easy access to the KC menu:
http://www.thecapitalgrille.com/menus/D2_Dinner.pdf

ItalionStallion888
2012-07-26, 11:47 PM
We have both now brought up sushi. We have a gift card to drunken fish. We love sushi and its not something we eat all the time. We like a good night on the town together more than romantic lol. Its downtown not far from martini corner if I remember right. Has anyone been to drunken fish? What's the atmosphere like?

Billy Mild
2012-07-27, 09:26 AM
Drunken Fish is alright, there are better places in KC TBH. I would say Nara or Kona Grill. Just my .02

kcshaner
2012-07-27, 02:21 PM
Funny topic, my 9 year anniversary was last night.

Anyways, the best decision I made was choosing to go to Marina Grog and Galley at Lake Latawana 2 years ago ( http://marinagrogandgalley.com/ ). We honestly felt like we were on a mini vacation, and definitely not in the KC area. It really is a unique place with a great atmosphere. Since we went, two of our friends have also celebrated there with nothing but great reviews. It's definitely something different and unique, due to the lake setting.

ItalionStallion888
2012-08-12, 01:55 AM
So drunken fish was amazing, just the atmosphere we were looking for. We ate dinner the lower part, they had the windows open so there was a nice breeze going through the place. I think what I liked the most was the noise level. Lots of chatter going on, bu the place is set up perfect to where even with the music playing we were still able to hold a conversation and actually hear one another. They have patio/bar on the roof top so we finished our meal and took our drinks up to the patio. Our waiter gave us some free shots, so we ordered and found a comfy couch. Spent about an hour on the patio. Then walked to pnl and watched some Olympics on the big screen. All in all we had 3 killer sushi rolls, soy beans and salt, with 4 drinks. Drinks prices were spot on for the price. Our waiter gave great suggestions to match the sushi we ordered. Well worth the price. I suggest you try it if you like sushi. They are going to be putting one in at town center plaza soon!