PDA

View Full Version : Helmet after a crash?

BluBeaSSt
2012-08-14, 10:09 PM
Would you trust a helmet after a big crash? I still have my Speed & Strength helmet I was wearing when I went down. All that is really wrong with it is the visor popped off, and the only scuff is where I laid my head down on the highway after I stopped moving. It looks flawless but I was wondering if I should buy a new one or trust this one.

WRX
2012-08-14, 10:10 PM
I'd still wear it if it didn't take any major blows since the cosmetics don't bother you.

stangs07zx10r
2012-08-14, 10:15 PM
if there are no cracks i see no reason that its not safe... i would still wear it

MysticTeal95Z28
2012-08-14, 11:14 PM
Have you removed the helmet's interior liner & padding in order to see if the Styrofoam is cracked? I definitely wouldn't trust it until this was verified.

If the Styrofoam is cracked the helmet has properly done its job & it is time for it to be replaced.

Edit: After re-reading your post it doesn't sound like the helmet took a hard blow, but I'd still check the Styrofoam to be on the safe side.

ReidStylez
2012-08-15, 07:53 AM
You do know if you drop your helmet waist high it's considered not safe.

Your best bet if you really want to reuse your helmet is to send it to the manufacture and have them check it over.

BuddyLee
2012-08-15, 08:01 AM
Fuck no

87gn
2012-08-15, 09:15 AM
I'd replace it. Your head is worth it.

brveagle
2012-08-15, 09:45 AM
I have some older used helmets that i use for around the neighborhood. In regards to using a downed helmet still, i wouldn't ever. It's not worth it.

69Mach351
2012-08-15, 10:09 AM
You do know if you drop your helmet waist high it's considered not safe.

I have heard this as well. It makes me wonder how they are handled when they are shipped. Somewhere there are people throwing these boxes around and they are getting dropped, kicked, and beat up. The last helmet I ordered came in a box that was beat to death. I looked it over very carefully and kept it. All it is in the end is insurance. If I was sure it didn't take a hit, I would look it over real close and keep it if it looked fine. If it took even a moderate hit, I would probably look at replacing it. That is just me though.

ReidStylez
2012-08-15, 10:32 AM
I have heard this as well. It makes me wonder how they are handled when they are shipped. Somewhere there are people throwing these boxes around and they are getting dropped, kicked, and beat up. The last helmet I ordered came in a box that was beat to death. I looked it over very carefully and kept it. All it is in the end is insurance. If I was sure it didn't take a hit, I would look it over real close and keep it if it looked fine. If it took even a moderate hit, I would probably look at replacing it. That is just me though.

Any of the helmets I bought all came protected well in a box.

69Mach351
2012-08-15, 10:57 AM
Any of the helmets I bought all came protected well in a box.
I would like to think that they all do. I ordered mine from leatherup.com (decent prices and there are a lot of discount codes floating around). Picked up two helmets, a jacket, tuner and a few other things. The one helmet box looked like it was beat up like something had squashed one side of the box. Everything else was fine.

white01ss
2012-08-15, 04:00 PM
I would replace it.

BluBeaSSt
2012-08-15, 08:19 PM
Yeah I washed the inside out because the smell alone made me sick :lolg: nothing looks damaged inside and the outside is spotless, just popped off the visor.

I'll replace it but keep it as a back up, I also took apart my HJC Off road helmet since I was looking at them... that ones screwed :lolg:

ReidStylez
2012-08-15, 10:39 PM
It didn't hit the ground?

BluBeaSSt
2012-08-15, 11:07 PM
It didn't hit the ground?

Not that I know of, I rolled on top of a guard rail and landed on my ass. The helmet only had a stuff from where I laid my head back when I was laid out on the highway.

ReidStylez
2012-08-16, 07:56 AM
I'd still buy a new one. Not worth the risk.

stjoetalon
2012-08-16, 12:21 PM
Sell it to me for cheap. Ill use the damned thing.

I understand the precaution, but I think some of it is blown out of proportion. If you bashed your head onto the highway, then yes, look into a new helmet. But laying your head on the concrete voiding a helmet is asinine. :roll:

YourWorstNightmare
2012-08-18, 08:53 PM
Most helmet manufacturers have a crash replacement program. You can send in your old lid, for a discounted price on a brand new one.

If I crashed wearing either of my helmets, I'd do a crash replacement.

themadspoon
2012-08-23, 07:21 AM
Sell it to me for cheap. Ill use the damned thing.

I understand the precaution, but I think some of it is blown out of proportion. If you bashed your head onto the highway, then yes, look into a new helmet. But laying your head on the concrete voiding a helmet is asinine. :roll:

Lol really? Not worth the risk IMO I would spend the money and buy another one its your fucking head.