PDA

View Full Version : x-ring vs. o-ring chains

Keboh
2013-03-08, 11:23 AM
I am doing a complete overhaul on all of the maint. on my bike before spring, and I am down to sprockets and chain. I have my sprockets, but I am wondering what people on the almighty KCSR think is the better option between x-ring and o-ring chains (Regardless, I am pretty sure I'll be going D.I.D.). Doing google searches, it seems to be a preference thing... o-ring chains are cheaper and have a slightly shorter life expectancy, while x-rings are supposedly more durable and stretch less, while being more expensive. Some say the extra money isn't worth it, some say it is... what do you all think?

I am leaning towards an x-ring chain right now, just because I am one of those people that would rather spend more money and know I bought something quality, but I am ignorant on this topic so some input would be nice from people that know a thing or two more than me.

Bike is a 1999 Ducati M750, sprockets are 15/41 (+3 in the rear from stock).

Billy Mild
2013-03-08, 03:02 PM
Here are my .02

X-Ring Chain: Lighter weight, reduction in friction losses, longer life

O-Ring Chain: Will work just fine for the street or mixed dirt and street use.

If you get the X Ring for the same price or just slightly more than an ORing I would go for it. If it is more than $5-10 I would stick with O Ring. I have had both on the same bike. I like the X Ring, but I don't know any performance difference that I hear track guys talk about.

_____

On another note: Did you get steel or aluminum sprockets.

Keboh
2013-03-08, 05:51 PM
Here are my .02

X-Ring Chain: Lighter weight, reduction in friction losses, longer life

O-Ring Chain: Will work just fine for the street or mixed dirt and street use.

If you get the X Ring for the same price or just slightly more than an ORing I would go for it. If it is more than $5-10 I would stick with O Ring. I have had both on the same bike. I like the X Ring, but I don't know any performance difference that I hear track guys talk about.

_____

On another note: Did you get steel or aluminum sprockets.

Word, thanks for the input, man. They're steel sprockets; I'm not worried about the weight, more about the longevity, tbh. A lot of people on the internet are saying they can't even really feel the difference in the weight between the aluminum and steel, anyways.

Here is the chain I am considering the most:
http://ca-cycleworks.com/products/final-drive/chain/vx2520-110-dc542110

I really, really fucking like ca-cycleworks, so I am trying to order from them and that is the best chain they have for the price it seems.

Billy Mild
2013-03-09, 09:13 AM
Word, thanks for the input, man. They're steel sprockets; I'm not worried about the weight, more about the longevity, tbh. A lot of people on the internet are saying they can't even really feel the difference in the weight between the aluminum and steel, anyways.

Here is the chain I am considering the most:
http://ca-cycleworks.com/products/final-drive/chain/vx2520-110-dc542110

I really, really fucking like ca-cycleworks, so I am trying to order from them and that is the best chain they have for the price it seems.

The only reason I bought my X Ring chain was the price. I got it for $50ish. So it was about the same price as an o ring. I think it was EEK brand. DID is a solid brand for chains.

ReidStylez
2013-03-09, 11:52 AM
EK ZZZ

Barely have to adjust it ever!!!!!