PDA

View Full Version : KZ750B coil pack

Pfreaky
2013-06-06, 06:16 PM
Hey, I think I need to get a new coil pack for my '77 KZ 750B, but I can't seem to find a good example online. You guys got any suggestions on where to find old bike parts? (specifically this one).

Btw, bike won't start, no spark to either plug, new plugs[still no spark], I think the wires are good, so the next thing on the list is the coil pack I believe. If you think it may be something else and have a suggestion, please go ahead and let me know. :thumbsup:

ACRGT213
2013-06-06, 06:28 PM
Hey, I think I need to get a new coil pack for my '77 KZ 750B, but I can't seem to find a good example online. You guys got any suggestions on where to find old bike parts? (specifically this one).

Btw, bike won't start, no spark to either plug, new plugs[still no spark], I think the wires are good, so the next thing on the list is the coil pack I believe. If you think it may be something else and have a suggestion, please go ahead and let me know. :thumbsup:

It's fucked. Better just sell it to me...

Or, check your ignition if all else fails. On my '83 KZ750, the solder on one of the wires broke. Lights and everything came on, starter would turn sometimes, but not fire. (cover inbetween, underneath the gauges, bottom side of the key tumbler)

Pfreaky
2013-06-06, 09:29 PM
It's fucked. Better just sell it to me...

Or, check your ignition if all else fails. On my '83 KZ750, the solder on one of the wires broke. Lights and everything came on, starter would turn sometimes, but not fire. (cover inbetween, underneath the gauges, bottom side of the key tumbler)

The ignition is ok I believe... it will turn over, and I have a kickstart as well. Is there a wire under there that will keep it from firing?

brveagle
2013-06-07, 12:57 PM
rather than springing the cash on an NOS coil, or buying a 30+ year old used one, i'd recommend you look towards the accel aftermarket ones.. Cheaper than new and they are modern manufacturing..

tslave
2013-06-07, 01:09 PM
I use Redline Cycle for all my 900 parts. Nobody knows more about the KZ's than Jim. He owns the place and his knowledge is insane with these bikes. I don't know if he does anything with the 750's, but I'm sure he could get it or tell you where to get it. Send him an email through the website and he usually answers pretty quick. He is in Skoki, IL.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

6-Bolt2g
2013-06-07, 03:01 PM
Check out Z1 and their coil selection

http://www.z1enterprises.com/ShopByCategory.aspx?name=Coils+%26+Wires&description=Ignition+Coils+and+Plug+Wires&category=0102010304

Pfreaky
2013-06-07, 03:21 PM
Check out Z1 and their coil selection

http://www.z1enterprises.com/ShopByCategory.aspx?name=Coils+%26+Wires&description=Ignition+Coils+and+Plug+Wires&category=0102010304

I don't even know where to start with that list... electrical stuff is not my forte.

Billy Mild
2013-06-07, 03:52 PM
Do you have points or solid state igntion?

Pfreaky
2013-06-07, 05:12 PM
Do you have points or solid state igntion?

:shock:
I do not know.

I will look around and try to find out.
It didn't help me but it might help you: http://www.kzrider.com/info/137-1977-kz-750

tslave
2013-06-07, 06:50 PM
If it still has original ignition system on it, then you probably needs to check the points first. These older bikes can be a pain in the ass but once you figure it out, it doesn't take that long to remedy it. Check your points for corrosion. If there is any, take a small file or a piece of sand paper, and run it in between. The other option is to just get a new set of points. Make sure the gap is set right. Then see if you have spark. if not, then I would guess coil. Points are cheap. Especially if you clean them up yourself.

If someone has put electronic ignition on it then I would say it is the coils. If you do replace the coils then do them both at the same time, if you have 2 on the 750's. I'm not sure if its a single or dual set up for the 750.

And again, if you need parts, then try Jim at Redline Cycle. Z1 enterprises is another good site for parts. Worse case, try Independence Kawasaki. The guys there have been around for a long damn time and know a lot about the older KZ's.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2