PDA

View Full Version : Mitsu evo dies on the dyno

inis
2010-12-15, 12:09 AM
Source:
http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/mitsubishi-evo-crashes-on-dyno-2010-12-14

That big red rope signals preparation. A symbol, if you will, of security. A sign that your pride and joy is in loving, trained and sympathetic hands.
We imagine however, a very small but vitally important bit of red rope remains in its packaging somewhere out back. Because when this tuned 450bhp Evo 8 goes for a little fitness test, something goes wrong.

oKFGr_mkQaA

Gunnar
2010-12-15, 12:14 AM
I think I'd be scared shitless if a car came off the dyno while I was watching.

inis
2010-12-15, 12:19 AM
I see no tie downs on the front end, seems like this was coming regaurdless of the power.

snm95ls
2010-12-15, 12:22 AM
Ouch.

realdiehl
2010-12-15, 12:51 AM
Now what?

How do you get that out of there?

KANYA
2010-12-15, 02:31 AM
Now what?

How do you get that out of there?

AWD homie, AWD.....

turboeater
2010-12-15, 07:14 AM
probably got in a hurry to do the runs and forgot to strap it correctly. not good

whiteFCTII
2010-12-15, 11:44 AM
The whole setup is just horrible. How did they not see this coming?

stevo8
2010-12-15, 01:12 PM
wait...... awd cars torque steer to?! OMGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE also, you can never have enough straps

kcevo
2010-12-15, 01:32 PM
Looks like the wastegate tube wasn't checked for clearance of the front straps, came on boost and the hot ass exhaust gas from the manifold was directed directly at the straps crossing in the front once waste gate opened.

This right here is why I chose to have my dyno IN the ground.

jamezray25
2010-12-15, 02:08 PM
OUCH!

Phate
2010-12-15, 04:21 PM
Yeah, that sucks.

inis
2010-12-15, 05:04 PM
Looks like the wastegate tube wasn't checked for clearance of the front straps, came on boost and the hot ass exhaust gas from the manifold was directed directly at the straps crossing in the front once waste gate opened.

This right here is why I chose to have my dyno IN the ground.

I dont see what you're seeing. I dont even see any straps on the front.

T-Wayne
2010-12-15, 05:11 PM
Damn that would scare the piss out of me

NachO_SRT
2010-12-15, 05:20 PM
It was strapped on the front, in a X - The dump tube from the bad ass aftermarket Turbo kit was dumped so it exited on the strap - guess whats next?

Seen it happen, thats why I like my AWD dyno's on the floor. and my turbo WGA dumps re-routed.

NachO

NONOS
2010-12-15, 06:49 PM
Just too much Power!:lolg:

ef9civicgen4
2010-12-15, 11:11 PM
also, typically a car is strapped down with the front straps crossing. soooo, if you melt through one strap, the other one pulls it off.

kcevo
2010-12-16, 02:04 AM
I dont see what you're seeing. I dont even see any straps on the front.

There are straps there trust me, you would have a hard time keeping the car on the rollers at 5-10 mph just cruising with just the rear end strapped on an awd car on the rollers.

This is just a shitty deal that happened due to a waste gate dump that melted the strap....doubt this was even the first pull of this session, just the only video that got posted or went viral. I've dynoed cars that went thru a number of pulls blowing on a strap before it let's go.

With it in the ground there is no 4 point lift post for the car to smack into like a pinball and no drastic drop off of 40 to 60 inches from dyno to ground.

piercedfreak181
2010-12-16, 11:20 AM
i wonder how long the owner was crying after that

maynardDRIVESfast
2010-12-16, 01:56 PM
So what would the legal recourse be here? I know usually you sign a waiver when strapping your car to a dyno.

kcevo
2010-12-16, 02:19 PM
So what would the legal recourse be here? I know usually you sign a waiver when strapping your car to a dyno.

Legally, signing the waiver would prolly keep the shop clear from damages; but in all honesty if ur a shop owner you should completely eat this one via insurance or out of ur pocket.

piercedfreak181
2010-12-16, 02:24 PM
Legally, signing the waiver would prolly keep the shop clear from damages; but in all honesty if ur a shop owner you should completely eat this one via insurance or out of ur pocket.

if not who would want to go to your shop if you didn't.

kcevo
2010-12-16, 02:26 PM
if not who would want to go to your shop if you didn't.

Bingo:thumbsup:

speedypollard
2010-12-16, 06:48 PM
Hmm...

speedypollard
2010-12-16, 06:49 PM

Funny how that wasn't your attitude at all when you blew my Evo up

Scooby24
2010-12-16, 06:50 PM

And this is why I like this guy. :thumbsup:

Chance
2010-12-16, 07:15 PM
Funny how that wasn't your attitude at all when you blew my Evo up

Must have been that Ctrl+Alt+Del end task on your rod bearings that killed your motor huh :roll:

speedypollard
2010-12-16, 07:27 PM
Must have been that Ctrl+Alt+Del end task on your rod bearings that killed your motor huh :roll:

No I'm guessing it was from the 36psi Chad let it spike on a stock bottom end

Chance
2010-12-16, 07:31 PM
Guessing...sounds about right...code word for you have no idea what actually happened, I mean 36 lbs and you spun a bearing? no ring land issues? :lolg: RIIIIIGGGHHHHTTTT

speedypollard
2010-12-16, 07:58 PM
Chad should know the limits after all the cars he's tuned but for some reason he keeps using my Evos as lab rats...no ring issues just bearings Chancey

OldSupra
2010-12-16, 08:01 PM
A)36 psi tells me it wasn't a stock turbo if it really hit that. That also tells me B)You were putting that car at the limit anyway by up-sizing the turbo. When you go bigger you are driving a time-bomb. It may last 30 seconds, 30 minutes, or 30 years.

Chance
2010-12-16, 08:11 PM
Chad should know the limits after all the cars he's tuned but for some reason he keeps using my Evos as lab rats...no ring issues just bearings Chancey

He knows well what the limits are, boost did not blow your motor. I mean it ran good enough for you to trade it in to some dealership obviously, or was that just you pulling some shady shit? I mean if trying to sell injectors you knew wouldn't fit an evo to some evo guys wasn't shady enough.... either way, its apparent that you have absolutely no solid evidence outside of a guess that the motor spun a bearing because of a tune, AND it didn't even spin a bearing in our possession, it was YOU who was driving it. More than anything it seems like you have a terribly hard time accepting responsibility for anything, being as you blamed the motor company (that you LIED to trying to get a warranty out of the deal) and only blamed us after they wouldn't help you out. :roll:

speedypollard
2010-12-16, 10:22 PM
Wow if only everyone knew the whole story instead of you picking out your favorite parts and throwing them together in the order they work best for you...I have a dyno sheet that says it hit 36psi and the very first pull I did made the cel flash...that's certainly not my fault

speedypollard
2010-12-16, 10:27 PM
A)36 psi tells me it wasn't a stock turbo if it really hit that. That also tells me B)You were putting that car at the limit anyway by up-sizing the turbo. When you go bigger you are driving a time-bomb. It may last 30 seconds, 30 minutes, or 30 years.

It was stock IX turbo on e85...you guys act like I'm some newbie or something when in actuality I've built more cars than any of you have owned in your lifetime...just need a descent tuner around here...guess ams is the place to go around here or fly Aaron English back out here...what's done is done...the Evo is gone and I got fucked over by MKC...big surprise just another one to their list...if only they give a shit about doing good clean business...IF ONLY

Squeaky192
2010-12-16, 10:31 PM
It was stock IX turbo on e85...you guys act like I'm some newbie or something when in actuality I've built more cars than any of you have owned in your lifetime...just need a descent tuner around here...guess ams is the place to go around here or fly Aaron English back out here...what's done is done...the Evo is gone and I got fucked over by MKC...big surprise just another one to their list...if only they give a shit about doing good clean business...IF ONLY

:lolg:

95cobra
2010-12-16, 10:42 PM

i know right.

oldsupra is fucking level 20--and that's only after one day :mrgreen:

Chance
2010-12-16, 10:43 PM
yo dogg don't laff he built more cars than you....Greg you are an absolute joke dude, seriously, your bucket broke while YOU were driving it. You tried to fuck Just Japs claiming that it was stock and un-tuned. When they told you to get bent you come after the next person, when that didn't work out you fucked a car dealership on a trade in, congrats. Take responsibility for your shit man seriously. If you want to make claims about someone or some business get some facts. Chad turned the boost down after the ONE time it SPIKED to 36lbs, key word there is spiked (I will post your logs if you would like), boost is not going to spin a rod bearing before messing up other internals but you would know, you build cars yo. :lolg:The best part about all of this, you come into a thread about a car COMING OFF A DYNO to run your mouth. Chad's comment pertained to taking responsibility for a car that came off the dyno, not taking responsibility for customers who left, drove the car, and beat the hell out of it. :thumbsup:

Squeaky192
2010-12-16, 10:44 PM
i know right.

oldsupra is fucking level 20--and that's only after one day :mrgreen:

No shit, just to swing on Jake's nuts a little. :mrgreen:

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v1934/31/28/1098141079/n1098141079_30200550_8902.jpg
GT-R and Blue Supra at Longview. 2330 Horsepower to the ground in one pic!!!

page2334
2010-12-16, 11:21 PM
No shit, just to swing on Jake's nuts a little. :mrgreen:

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v1934/31/28/1098141079/n1098141079_30200550_8902.jpg

:lolg::lolg::lolg::lolg:

Albatross
2010-12-17, 01:11 AM

You're right, Oldsupra knows nothing about cars.

He's just another local idiot, with a shitty evo.

NachO_SRT
2010-12-17, 08:16 AM
Well Fuck me! I take an evening off and all the drama drops.

I know the whole story - Hell I drove up to Pollards house to do a compression test on the last motor in that traded in evo -

I gotta call you man, IF you built so many cars, where did you learn how to assess the condition of the motors? - In my reality it takes a compression AND Leakdown test to prove it out. - You had no clue when I did that compression test on your last junk, jank motor. - None brother - Like Dumbass style.

Your just one of those dudes that eludes to the whole story but we will never see it. You post your version and the rest of us that actually SAW the car get tuned and have SEEN the fucking logs can sit back and shoot holes in your shit.

I'de ventre to say in my years hanging at MKC, I've seen chad tune well over 2000 cars - your one of like one dudes that "claim" he hurt your car - no evidence, just a claim.

You tried to fuck over Just Japs by claiming your FP Turbo'd Motor was all stock. - For the money you spent, I'd have had a shop build it and be driving a fat ass Evo 9 this winter.

I saw the childish, I'm going to sue you test messages you fired at Chad, and I saw him take a breath and send you back some level headed replies. Your a joke dude. Totally cake boy.

you wanna know the difference between you and most of the rest of us? You built several cars, and we all still have ours - pushing in some cases 300% more then stock power levels. Stick that in your pipe and smoke it asswad.

Cliff notes: This guy is a joke with no sense of tact or grace in how he conducts his personal business, you would be well advised to just simply refuse service, /ignore or skip his dribbling trite childish posts.

You better back the fuck up off my Friend here asshole. You aint got shit to stand on. My money's on you can't drive.

NachO

speedypollard
2010-12-17, 11:16 AM
Nothing more than I expected...biased opinions from friends/employees of MKC...whatever but I still think it's funny how Chad won't respond

speedypollard
2010-12-17, 11:20 AM
And FP turbo? Really? Try the stocker with 50k on it

speedypollard
2010-12-17, 11:23 AM
Oh and yes guys I blew it up with that one third gear pull I did on the way home

snm95ls
2010-12-17, 11:47 AM
Nothing more than I expected...biased opinions from friends/employees of MKC...whatever but I still think it's funny how Chad won't respond

Why should he?

What would it prove, and how would it be productive?

OldSupra
2010-12-17, 11:49 AM
Fucking level 20 lol.

The point remains, a stock turbo, cranked up on E85 is touching the limits of that motor. When you push a motor it gives. It's just a matter of when. There are two sides to every story and I'm not taking anyones side here but you are driving a modified car. This means you are putting additional stress on factory parts. Part of the game we play. I've rebuilt 200 mile old AMS motor/tunes as well. It happens. Titan sent me a car with a blown motor that they had "just finished" yet you won't see me bash them about that because the reality is who knows what happened. Here's the deal, I don't know the story and won't presume to. I've also tuned cars side by side with Chad as recently as a week ago and as long as 4 years ago and I have confidence knowing that he went as far as the customer probably wanted to go. Maybe you were number chasing? Maybe you read on evom that the car can do "x" and thats what you wanted. You should be glad you weren't my customer because I probably would have told you to piss off when you requested to do it your way if thats what happened. Like I said though I don't know. I hope you have fun getting your anger out on a forum but the reality is when you asked a shop to push your car you were going to break something. They all do and you can't stop it. No matter how good a tuner/builder you are. Shits gonna break.

kcevo
2010-12-17, 12:48 PM

Why should I? Your entire argument started and pointed at the fact that 36psi is what blew your motor, but in all reality this was one single dyno pull where I told you word for word we won't be running that as the duty cycle was too much and I turned it down. I gave you that dyno sheet along with the real power numbers, on the boost it would be running on the street, for bragging purposes. On E85 I left your car with 30 to 32 psi, which is the target for all of my evo 8/9 stock turbo cars on e85 setups with the proper supporting mods (like yours). Verified the boost and tune via street tuning/testing afterwards as well.

Oh and yes guys I blew it up with that one third gear pull I did on the way home

Wow, you sure are on point with your timeframes from the time of tune to the time you spun your rod bearings or whatever "you" think the issue really is. Maybe you were "on your way home" when you were out running the car hard. Your whole idea is based off this perceived instance that the knock CEL mod that was falsely and non-consistently triggering in low rpms, was the culprit to your motors demise. Yet in multiple street tuning sessions, after the ininitial dyno, I was pulling way more timing out of an e85 tune than I normally do to try and make the car knock sum free to no avail; The car was never consistently knock sum free. Did you ever fix those rattles and banging coming from the cross member under the downpipe or on the drivers side front wheel area that I pointed out to ya, then to bring back to me for more tuning?; which of course the cross member is a notorious culprit for false knock sums.

What about when your issues started what did you text me? "Did a 3rd and 4th gear pull, no knock light, but when I came down on idle the oil light was flickering"....is that pretty much it word for word? I can drum up the text if you want.:thumbsup:

elite_cyborg
2010-12-17, 03:45 PM

I guess buying cars already built classifies as building them? Right?

Albatross
2010-12-17, 04:12 PM
doop.