PDA

View Full Version : Cheap fun things to do around here?

Boorah
2011-01-13, 05:14 PM
Just moved up and I'm getting bored and running out of things to do.
Been to a lot of the museums, movies, sick of shopping places.

What are some things you guys like to do that don't cost much (I'm broke) and is mildly entertaining? Places to just drive thru and see, cool parks, and stuff like that is also fun for me. Its just me and the gf, so throw out some ideas! Thanks.

Ryan D
2011-01-13, 06:16 PM
Union Station, Nelson Atkins, Negro Leagues Baseball Museum, Liberty Memorial, etc.

si07zx6r
2011-01-13, 06:18 PM
Sadlers go karts in Olathe!

KC_Si
2011-01-13, 06:18 PM
Union Station, Nelson Atkins, Negro Leagues Baseball Museum, Liberty Memorial, etc.

Most of what I was going to suggest.

I get mixed responses from people but I thought the Steamboat Arabia thing is worth checking out at least once.

Boorah
2011-01-13, 08:20 PM

The Negro Leagues Baseball Museum is the only one I haven't gone to yet, I'll have to add that to the list!

Sadlers go karts in Olatha!

Went there last time, going back again real soon, that place is really fun.

I get mixed responses from people but I thought the Steamboat Arabia thing is worth checking out at least once.

Hmm, I'll have to look up more info on that, sounds interesting!

AceTactics
2011-01-14, 10:40 AM
Take your GF to the plaza and get a carriage ride..pending the weather is suitable I'm sure. :thumbsup:

springerdesigner
2011-01-14, 10:42 AM
cruise down troost.

xXSTi-lynXx
2011-01-14, 10:47 AM
the flea market/ warehouse in independence friday-saturday.

You can find some weird crap there. Then there is the people, you will see/meet some interesting ones.
Just a fun thing to do to with some friends on a boring kansas city weekend

Beowulf
2011-01-15, 05:11 PM
There's the plaza, westport, Loose Park, Shawnee Mission Park ride horses (might be costly) boat rides, fishing.. etc.. its a park, lots of shit to do. Zoo..
lots of good restaurants.. Arthur Bryants near 18th & Vine - good jazz area I believe.

dunno.. just google it. depends what you're into.
Look into Zona Rosa or The Legends.. 119th and Metcalf area has some good stuff.. mostly resaurants and stores n shit.. gotta eat, could go somewhere nice once in a while ;)

Karlen
2011-01-15, 05:13 PM
Sadlers go karts in Olatha!

Olathe.

Boorah
2011-01-15, 07:42 PM
Went down to Sadlers yesterday and then the GF took me to Bazooka's...that was fun.

Take your GF to the plaza and get a carriage ride..pending the weather is suitable I'm sure. :thumbsup:
I was planning on that actually, just not for a few months lol.

cruise down troost.

Yeah, I live on armour blvd, like 2 blocks from troost. That is a sketchy street, but interesting stuff to see. And some funny stuff too.

the flea market/ warehouse in independence friday-saturday.

You can find some weird crap there. Then there is the people, you will see/meet some interesting ones.
Just a fun thing to do to with some friends on a boring kansas city weekend

Damn, I wish I wouldve seen this one earlier, that sounds fun, I will have to do that next week! Thanks!

There's the plaza, westport, Loose Park, Shawnee Mission Park ride horses (might be costly) boat rides, fishing.. etc.. its a park, lots of shit to do. Zoo..
lots of good restaurants.. Arthur Bryants near 18th & Vine - good jazz area I believe.

dunno.. just google it. depends what you're into.
Look into Zona Rosa or The Legends.. 119th and Metcalf area has some good stuff.. mostly resaurants and stores n shit.. gotta eat, could go somewhere nice once in a while ;)

Thanks! I really want to look into the horse rides, we've been wanting to do that for a while.

Went to pretty much all the malls like the zona rosa and stuff already, I REALLY don't want to see another shopping center for a little while lol.

Thanks for the help guys!

si07zx6r
2011-01-15, 08:00 PM
Olathe.

Thanks!

Keboh
2011-01-16, 01:48 PM

I thought it was pretty cool, too. Definitely worth checking out :thumbsup:

Also, right across the street is a pretty bad ass little diner (if it's still there).

I hear those carriage rides are expensivvee.

You could always come out to Lawrence for a day. We have some pretty good, and reasonably priced, restaurants. Mass St. is always fun to walk up and down, maybe go shopping. KU has a gorgeous campus worth walking/driving through.

Also Weston, MO is a really cool town worth visiting.

Snow Creek is decent for skiing/snowboarding :dunno:

EDIT: Also, frisbee golf is a really cheap game. discs are less than 20 bucks for good ones, and you only need 2 or 3, really. There several courses in the area that are really awesome.

allxscream
2011-01-19, 01:36 PM
dono if its ur cup of tea or not but there are a few hookah bars around town that are cool places to chill. jerusalem cafe down in westport and cloud lounge up north are the 2 i would reccomend

Boorah
2011-01-19, 01:42 PM
I thought it was pretty cool, too. Definitely worth checking out :thumbsup:

Also, right across the street is a pretty bad ass little diner (if it's still there).

I hear those carriage rides are expensivvee.

You could always come out to Lawrence for a day. We have some pretty good, and reasonably priced, restaurants. Mass St. is always fun to walk up and down, maybe go shopping. KU has a gorgeous campus worth walking/driving through.

Also Weston, MO is a really cool town worth visiting.

Snow Creek is decent for skiing/snowboarding :dunno:

EDIT: Also, frisbee golf is a really cheap game. discs are less than 20 bucks for good ones, and you only need 2 or 3, really. There several courses in the area that are really awesome.

I used to go play frisbee golf back in Lincoln and wanted to go as soon as it warms up here too, so that will be on the agenda! I didn't know about Snow Creek, I REALLY want to go there now, and I guess I may be working for some of the KU games, so I will head down there as well. Thanks!

dono if its ur cup of tea or not but there are a few hookah bars around town that are cool places to chill. jerusalem cafe down in westport and cloud lounge up north are the 2 i would reccomend

Its most definitely my cup of tea. I like Sinbads on broadway, but I quit going to them and just bought a big old hookah for myself, I couldn't afford to go there as much as I'd like.

allxscream
2011-01-19, 01:47 PM
i didnt like sinbads when i went there. very bright inside and they couldnt get my hookah lit. jerusalem is my favorite just cause i know the owners well. real chill place and not super expensive. clouds even a little cheaper than jerusalem but not as big a flavor selection

Boorah
2011-01-19, 01:56 PM
Is Jerusalem the one on Westport?

Keboh
2011-01-19, 03:24 PM
I used to go play frisbee golf back in Lincoln and wanted to go as soon as it warms up here too, so that will be on the agenda! I didn't know about Snow Creek, I REALLY want to go there now, and I guess I may be working for some of the KU games, so I will head down there as well. Thanks!

Shawnee Mission Park has a pretty awesome course. I've heard (I don't know if this is legit, but I would believe it) that Wyandotte's course is knows by pros as being a really good/tough course. Lawrence has two, Centennial Park, and River Front. If you're ever coming out to Lawrence with the intent of throwing some disc, hit me up first. I'm always down to play a round of frolf. :thumbsup:

Where do you work that would bring you in town for the KU games, if I may ask?

Boorah
2011-01-19, 04:17 PM
Shawnee Mission Park has a pretty awesome course. I've heard (I don't know if this is legit, but I would believe it) that Wyandotte's course is knows by pros as being a really good/tough course. Lawrence has two, Centennial Park, and River Front. If you're ever coming out to Lawrence with the intent of throwing some disc, hit me up first. I'm always down to play a round of frolf. :thumbsup:

Where do you work that would bring you in town for the KU games, if I may ask?
Will do!

Also just got hired at Crowd Systems, and I work at Skate World too.

allxscream
2011-01-21, 09:07 AM
yes its in westport

Boorah
2011-01-21, 10:19 AM
Went there last night, I really liked it, but it was FREEZING where I got seated so I eventually left because I couldn't feel my toes lol.

allxscream
2011-01-23, 11:22 PM
u get seated outside on the padio? its a work in progress out there but during summer its really nice.

Boorah
2011-01-24, 08:32 AM
It was upstairs by the window, but it was like the window was open. I liked it overall.