PDA

View Full Version : Need some weather stripping tips...

Rob
2011-02-09, 09:18 PM
My front door just feels like it lets way too much cold air in. It is already weather stripped but does anyone have any tips on how to make it better?

doomi
2011-02-10, 12:42 PM
My front door just feels like it lets way too much cold air in. It is already weather stripped but does anyone have any tips on how to make it better?

May not be what you want to hear, but buy a quality storm door.
I kept trying to stop drafts from my front door with just weather stripping and it never fixed it. Installed a storm door and we now have zero drafts.

You can do a lot of good by adjust and stripping the door, but IMO it's damn near impossible to completely seal it.

Rob
2011-02-10, 03:08 PM
May not be what you want to hear, but buy a quality storm door.
I kept trying to stop drafts from my front door with just weather stripping and it never fixed it. Installed a storm door and we now have zero drafts.

You can do a lot of good by adjust and stripping the door, but IMO it's damn near impossible to completely seal it.

Oh Yeah? Any recommendations on the storm door? If I can get something decent I'm thinking itll end up paying for itself in savings on electric bill

doomi
2011-02-10, 05:13 PM
We bought an Anderson full view 3000 series from Home Depot when they were on sale, and love it. The build quality is great, and like I said it makes a crazy difference in drafts. Right now we open the wood door to let the sunlight through the storm door. It raises our living area temperature by 8-9 degrees in no time just by letting the solar energy in, but keeping the cold and drafts out.

Larson also makes quality storm doors, and can be found at Lowe's. If you go to the post office and get the address change kit it comes with a 10% (IIRC it's 10%, but may be 15%) off coupon at Lowes... so that can save you some money. I won't ever go without a storm door again.

Plus the dogs love laying out in the sun in front of the full glass storm door!

Some people prefer the screen-away designs which has a feature that you can slide the lower glass portion up and a screen rolls up behind it. I don't like the looks of it a whole lot, and my dogs would run through the screen... but it's another option if you like to let fresh air circulate.

acvw_insanity
2011-02-10, 05:16 PM
I currently just rent...the doors are old, but what I did is bought some basic weather stripping, took all the old stuff off, cleaned the surfaces and stuck it on, then I took small thin white nails and nailed it all on... you cant see the nails, and the weather stripping doesnt "shift" either. Both my front and back doors are completely sealed... besides the back door having a junk threshold.

And neither have storm doors.