PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Ceiling Shit

CaptainHook
2011-02-14, 03:55 PM
Bought my house a year ago, getting ready to finally paint it the way I want. One thing is, I want to get rid of this stupid popcorn shit on the ceiling. I'm afraid if I don't do something with it, my fresh painted walls will make my ceiling look much dirtier. I hear it hard to paint over well, so I just want to get rid of it. Any easer way than using a putty knife and scraping? How cheap would it be to just hang new sheetrock then mud and tape.

JDLM
2011-02-14, 03:57 PM
The new sheet rock/mud idea sounds a bit unnecessary, I would do the scraping and just get a knock down texture put on

cassdroid
2011-02-14, 04:10 PM
Hang plastic on walls. Put plastic on floor. Wet the popcorn and scrape with a 6" knife. If it doesn't come off like hot butter you need more water. It's not going to be perfectly smooth when you get done so hire a taper if you can't float it out yourself.

Hanging new sheet rock would involve new inside corners where the ceiling meets the walls which means taping 6" down the wall.

CaptainHook
2011-02-14, 04:10 PM
The new sheet rock/mud idea sounds a bit unnecessary, I would do the scraping and just get a knock down texture put on

So, I googled Knock down.

It looks as if the popcorn comes off super easy with a little water//vinegar mixture, and a scraper.

I like the knock down texture, that's how my kitchen is done. When you repaint it, the paint will go on smoothly correct, unlike popcorn?

JDLM
2011-02-14, 04:11 PM
the paint is mixed w/ the knockdown texture (so you don't have to paint it)

freekwonder
2011-02-14, 04:19 PM
With the proper roller you can paint over the popcorn.

CaptainHook
2011-02-14, 04:20 PM

I meant in the future. Since my kitchen walls are done in it already, but I'm going to repaint it.

CaptainHook
2011-02-14, 04:24 PM

I'd rather get rid of it if it's not that bad to do. I got a bunch of time on my hands. Since it's not mowing season I'm off 4 days a week.

redhot916spd
2011-02-14, 06:47 PM

yes it has been done but the water in the paint can make it peel easily. the simplest way to paint popcorn ceilings and have a nice result is mask the walls(lines will be as perfect as you can mask) with a paper tape machine and 18" paper and spray it with a quality paint, no back rolling at all.

When painting a ceiling white there such a thing called high hide/hyde depending on who's pro painting store you use. I recommend it. It's mixed with a tad more titanium.

mrcooley
2011-02-15, 10:39 AM
See the thread on drywall repair for my guy Tony's number. He is very very reasonable for doing knock down if you want someone professional to do it.

Scooby24
2011-02-15, 11:39 AM

I've never seen it done this way.. I had my first floor done and it's definitely not painted.

My guys did orange peel instead of knock down but it's the same stuff, just not knocked down. It's a wet mud stuff and you have to prime/paint afterwards.

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j123/ga9213/IMG_1212.jpg

PS: don't use Behr ceiling paint, unless you like having to paint 6 coats.

redhot916spd
2011-02-15, 08:27 PM
I highly recommend high hide white. or premium eggshell from Kwal. That shit paints so well and it is very very thick, they are all over town. For the easiest one coat (but its expensive) buy legacy. If you want a color like red or black there are factory blended colors that are mostly pigment and they will cover in a single coat also, those are a liquid vinyl product(name brand) or another product is called direct to metal(paints over everything) its a polyurethane paint.

JDLM
2011-02-15, 08:29 PM
I've never seen it done this way.. I had my first floor done and it's definitely not painted.

My guys did orange peel instead of knock down but it's the same stuff, just not knocked down. It's a wet mud stuff and you have to prime/paint afterwards.

PS: don't use Behr ceiling paint, unless you like having to paint 6 coats.

hmm, I think mine was mixed in I was in and out of the house @ the time but I don't see them painting my ceilings :lol:

JamesB88
2011-02-15, 11:23 PM
Before painting my walls in my house, we used a airless sprayier to put white paint over the popcorn.. but like said, it will scrap right off with water..

freekwonder
2011-02-16, 06:56 AM
yes it has been done but the water in the paint can make it peel easily. the simplest way to paint popcorn ceilings and have a nice result is mask the walls(lines will be as perfect as you can mask) with a paper tape machine and 18" paper and spray it with a quality paint, no back rolling at all.

When painting a ceiling white there such a thing called high hide/hyde depending on who's pro painting store you use. I recommend it. It's mixed with a tad more titanium.

True, we painted a couple ceilings in our house with pop corn ceilings, we had problems in one room, but no problems with others. I personally hate pop corn ceilings.

jasman18
2011-02-16, 01:59 PM
I did the exact same thing you wanted to do.

I scraped the entire houses ceilings except the closests. and garage.
Had someone else come in and sand and spray on the knockdown texture.

Turned out pretty good

this tool is a MUST. A regular scrapper sucks.
http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/productImages/400/38/38bfa431-c69f-4a29-9a20-a82820a2ade2_400.jpg?01AD=30jJVQmLeumnYAU213k2EKJk VgmCZOiA1NU4aph58tb3RbS4-FZU1YQ&01RI=774B73E08B785E6&01NA=

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41rAmwywdeL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

you basically clip a plastic bag on it and it catches all the wet stuff you are scraping off. Makes the job MUCH less messy and much faster because there is hardly any cleanup.

redhot916spd
2011-02-16, 02:49 PM
that is a slick tool!!!

freekwonder
2011-02-16, 06:03 PM
That's awesome, I may have to look into that if I don't go to Indy

jasman18
2011-02-16, 07:16 PM
Ill sell my used one to somebody for $5. (sell for about $20 new.)
Used it in 2009 for the house and its just sitting on a shelf.

rshay
2011-04-12, 08:03 PM
I'm getting ready to do about 3,000 sq ft of popcorn removal in the next couple months. Seems like they REALLY loved this crap in the 70's. Should be fun times.

Scooby24
2011-04-12, 10:31 PM
I'm getting ready to do about 3,000 sq ft of popcorn removal in the next couple months. Seems like they REALLY loved this crap in the 70's. Should be fun times.

If it's from the 70's you need to get it tested for asbestos. They stopped sometime in the early/mid 80's I believe, but 70's is a good likelihood you'll have to remove it in a full body suit.

rshay
2011-04-14, 10:06 AM
If it's from the 70's you need to get it tested for asbestos. They stopped sometime in the early/mid 80's I believe, but 70's is a good likelihood you'll have to remove it in a full body suit.

I'll check into that to make sure one way or another when it's inspected. Worst case scenario, I get to play Halo IRL.