PDA

View Full Version : paddle shifting the vette, I think its going to be the standard

redhot916spd
2011-02-19, 12:03 AM
http://www.streetfire.net/video/s2-track-to-street-corvette-racing-series-episode-1_2201837.htm

The moment they make it a priority in the racing car is the moment they get serious about it in the street cars. Much like all the serious cars out there now, I think the vette will follow suit. I could only imagine a zr-1 or a zo6 with one. Obviously its there with the auto cars but when it comes to the street the manual has always been the king regarding stock vehicles.

WRX
2011-02-19, 12:29 AM
I didnt get anything out of that, except a boner

NachO_SRT
2011-02-19, 08:11 AM
Explain to me again whats so "wrong" with it? - Rally cars have used like technology for years.

Easier on the drivetrain and gear box - SOLD - Cheaper to keep the race car making laps - SOLD.

I'm not seeing a downside? And I didnt see anything that suggested all Vettes are now going to have GT series Gearboxes....

NachO

burgez
2011-02-19, 10:36 AM
Call me crazy, I like paddle shifters. I know people say it takes away from the whole experience, but its still pretty fun. I haven't done any spirited driving with corners to really see how I like it, but maybe one day I will. I'm not against vettes getting these in street trim.

turbotuner20v
2011-02-19, 10:54 AM
It makes sense... lots of other high performance cars are getting them. I've always likes traditional manuals, but its hard to argue against the benefits of new technology.

redhot916spd
2011-02-19, 11:18 AM
It makes sense... lots of other high performance cars are getting them. I've always likes traditional manuals, but its hard to argue against the benefits of new technology.

Indeed. Given the performance leap the GTR has taken over the Z06 in launching as evidenced by the motortrend comparo , I would not be surprised if sooner than later GM steps up the vette with this tech and launch control.. Given the weight break the vette has it should easily handle the GTR in the quarter except for the physics of overcoming that one simple thing, traction.

mild83
2011-02-19, 11:20 AM
The benefit of a manual is the mechanical interaction with a vehicle. All of the above positives are correct, however, there has never been a time that I have driven a paddle shifter (PDK) at the limits, that I thought that it was even close to the joy I used to get wringing out my 5spd in my 92 civic.

There is a place for them, sure, just not in my garage. To each their own.

Disclaimer, the PDK was not mine.

turbotuner20v
2011-02-19, 11:52 AM
Indeed. Given the performance leap the GTR has taken over the Z06 in launching as evidenced by the motortrend comparo , I would not be surprised if sooner than later GM steps up the vette with this tech and launch control.. Given the weight break the vette has it should easily handle the GTR in the quarter except for the physics of overcoming that one simple thing, traction.

The new vettes actually have a launch control on the manual transmission cars, but its not that great

redhot916spd
2011-02-19, 12:07 PM
The new vettes actually have a launch control on the manual transmission cars, but its not that great

I don't know why they don't put an ultra serious tire on the rear something along the lines of drag radials that heat up and stick. I got about 7-8k a set on my vette and had maybe 50 passes at kcir on them. I have no idea how long the existing tires are meant to last but they never seem to hook well. Watching the motortrend video , it was obvious to me the driver was not making the most of the available traction or they did not heat the tires. The trap speed was higher but the et did not reflect mph.

turboeater
2011-02-19, 12:36 PM
turbo 400 with an overdrive unit manual shift. You guys are sliding this way.

2TonCat
2011-02-19, 10:45 PM
I don't see anything wrong with it. I love having paddles in the Cougar. Couldn't roll race without 'em