PDA

View Full Version : Paint removal

redlobster
2011-02-21, 07:26 PM
I'm sure its a simple solution but I painted my master bathroom a few days ago

and a little bit of paint seeped through the taped off area onto the wood trim.

What is the easiest way to remove the paint without taking the paint off the

walls that touches the trim? I've tried slowly going with a razor blade but am

worried about damaging the wood trim and rubbing alcohol is removing the paint

on the trim and the abutting wall area.

blownsvtnkc
2011-02-21, 08:08 PM
Try Goof Off or Goo Gone

BuddyLee
2011-02-21, 08:13 PM
Latex paint is usually pretty easy to clean off of wood trim. It normally only requires warm water and dish detergent and a little elbow grease - as long as the stain is relatively new.
For new latex paint stains, get a bucket of warm water and add a few drops of dish detergent. Take a shop rag and scrub the paint stains and droplets with a dry shop rag. They should come up if the paint was applied within the last two to three hours. They may leave a ring that can be removed by scraping with a soft nylon scrub brush that can get into the contours of the wood trim.
If the latex paint spots have had a few days or weeks to sit on the wood, then you will need to sand the stains off using a small 120 grit or finer sanding sponge. You can use a putty knife to clean paint off of the top and straight areas.
Simply take the sponge and gently work it over the paint stain. This works really well for small paint stains and specks and does not ruin the finish of the wood or stain. If you have larger paint stains, you want to avoid sanding the area as this will take off too much of the trim' s finish.
For old larger paint stains, take a dry shop rag and apply a little paint thinner. Scrub the old paint stain, and then immediately scrub it off with a soft nylon scrub brush. Wash the area with warm water and detergent soap.

Read more: How to Remove Latex Paint From Wood Trims | eHow.com (http://www.ehow.com/how_4758261_remove-latex-paint-wood-trims.html#ixzz1Ee6sT1Jl) http://www.ehow.com/how_4758261_remove-latex-paint-wood-trims.html#ixzz1Ee6sT1Jl

redlobster
2011-02-21, 10:22 PM
thanks, ill try the warm water and soap first.

polock4life
2011-02-21, 10:26 PM
if you have something like a painters 5 in 1, use taht w/ a damp rag wrapped around it and use the old elbow grease.

One way to prevent bleed through in the future is to press down the tape w/ something. I use my 5in1 and just run the blade across it with firm pressure. This will eliminate almost all bleed through. W/out doing this, you are guaranteeing that you will need clean up.

redlobster
2011-02-22, 09:16 PM
if you have something like a painters 5 in 1, use taht w/ a damp rag wrapped around it and use the old elbow grease.

One way to prevent bleed through in the future is to press down the tape w/ something. I use my 5in1 and just run the blade across it with firm pressure. This will eliminate almost all bleed through. W/out doing this, you are guaranteeing that you will need clean up.

never thought of it, I have a couple just sitting in my toolbox. thanks

BuddyLee
2011-02-22, 10:08 PM
Frog Tape FTW

polock4life
2011-02-22, 11:33 PM
frog tape is great, but you still need to press it down. Blue tape isn't nearly as expensive, and scotch green is the most adhesive tape there is at a SW or benji moore, but again it's more expensive.

I paint while going to school and the guy I work for has been doing it for 20+ years and making good money. I'm learning a lot, have to do tons of bitch work, but I get $13/hr for sanding walls, trim, staining, prep, and of course painting. The last house we did had well over $50k in paint/stain work over by Lew Perkins house.

dtheo
2011-02-23, 07:30 PM
frog tape is great, but you still need to press it down. Blue tape isn't nearly as expensive, and scotch green is the most adhesive tape there is at a SW or benji moore, but again it's more expensive.

I paint while going to school and the guy I work for has been doing it for 20+ years and making good money. I'm learning a lot, have to do tons of bitch work, but I get $13/hr for sanding walls, trim, staining, prep, and of course painting. The last house we did had well over $50k in paint/stain work over by Lew Perkins house.

50,000$ in paint&stain? Must have been 1-2mm dollar house?

polock4life
2011-02-25, 12:59 AM
yeah it's more than $1M easily... I don't know the exact cost, not really my place. They bought the house, and then completely gutted it and renovated the ENTIRE thing. This house was probably 3-5 years old prior to the demo. They also built a pool house too that's probably like 1300sq/ft w/ a bedroom and all the amenities.

By the time we were all done, I bet we were closer to 100k than 50k. We did another house in where the Fritzel's are. It's a huge craftsman home, that was quite a penny as well. Now we are out south of town doing another monster home.