PDA

View Full Version : 2000 Yamaha R6 (need help)

FOACAD
2011-03-12, 04:44 PM
So my bike i used to have, i sold to my wifes little brother. It was fine for a while but then had an issue. They tore it down and found that it has a bent shift fork.

They went to a shop and asked for a quote. The shop told them it would be 2k to fix it, parts and labor. So they held off to think about it, well then the shop came back and said that after further review it would be 2500 MINIMUM to fix it.

Is this really what it would cost to fix this? Or are they just trying to milk a nice chunk of money out of them?

Any help is appreciated.

:cheers:

ReidStylez
2011-03-13, 12:13 AM
What is really happening with it? Jumping out of gear?

You're looking at about $300 - $400 to remove and reinstall motor, $150 - $200 to split the cases to get the transmission out, depending on how bad the transmission is you're looking at $350 - $600 (if really bad it could be more) to get the transmission undercut and for a new shift fork and shift shafts, and about $200 - $300 to put transmission back in the cases and reseal it.

I'd say $2,500 minimum is very high.

I'm staying this not knowing the full story or what's really going on with it though.

FOACAD
2011-03-13, 03:35 AM
Im not sure what the symptoms are as i havnt been in the states or around the bike in a while.

I just know what they told me the shop told them is that it was a bent shift fork.

I just know when they told me what the shop quoted them it seemed a bit high and i told them id check with some people.

They did tear the bike down pretty far in their garage, not sure to what point though.

ReidStylez
2011-03-13, 04:35 AM
If they brought the motor only into a shop I'm sure it'd be $400 or so cheaper.

If it's a bent shift fork I'd say $2500 is extreme!

ggizzo44
2011-03-13, 05:02 AM
Which shop?

FOACAD
2011-03-13, 02:30 PM
If they brought the motor only into a shop I'm sure it'd be $400 or so cheaper.

If it's a bent shift fork I'd say $2500 is extreme!
i got more details, they said it wasnt shifting into second at all.

the place they took it said it would be best to go ahead and replace all the shift forks as well as gears and other stuff. said it was more preventative at that point.

then they told them it probably wasnt worth it to fix and was better to part out.

it has a few nice parts on it.

gilles rearsets
apr stabilizer
full exhaust (cant remember the brand but i know it wasnt cheap)

not sure what they are gonna do at this point.

ReidStylez
2011-03-13, 02:37 PM
i got more details, they said it wasnt shifting into second at all.

the place they took it said it would be best to go ahead and replace all the shift forks as well as gears and other stuff. said it was more preventative at that point.

then they told them it probably wasnt worth it to fix and was better to part out.

it has a few nice parts on it.

gilles rearsets
apr stabilizer
full exhaust (cant remember the brand but i know it wasnt cheap)

not sure what they are gonna do at this point.

Well, shift forks are fairly cheap and to be honest they shouldn't charge more to install the other two. I think they are $80 bucks each. They have to take them off to get the new shift shafts in anyways.

I'd take it somewhere else to get another quote.

Has the shop actually looked at the bike or did they just go there and explain the issue?

It could be as easy as a bent shifter rod from the rear sets. I've seen that happen too.

FOACAD
2011-03-13, 03:28 PM
yes, the shop had the bike and make their diagnosis off looking at it in person. they didnt tear into it though.

wheres this somewhere else to take it?

brveagle
2011-03-13, 04:22 PM
Knowing that bike... I'd just pick up a spare motor for it. That bike has a large following and a running motor should be pretty easy to find.

ReidStylez
2011-03-13, 06:57 PM
yes, the shop had the bike and make their diagnosis off looking at it in person. they didnt tear into it though.

wheres this somewhere else to take it?

Basically any Yamaha dealership, Smithers Customs, Cafe Racer, etc.

Dr.Dilsnick
2011-03-13, 08:29 PM
you can get a whole used engine for about 700.00 on ebay. buy three of them for 2500 shipped and put the nicest one in there.

next time use google before asking dumb questions on the internet.