PDA

View Full Version : Just got a 89 Supra N/A

alucardunit1
2011-04-03, 11:26 PM
it is a project car i am just wondering if there are any more supra owners out there. Any tips you can give me any place you know issues happened with your car or things you had to fix or just helpful info you have would be appreciated

spikejnz
2011-04-04, 11:09 PM
First mod, drop the GE and throw in a GTE. :P

I used to have a '87 turbo targa back in the late '90s early 2000s. If you have baller funds, throw in a 2JZ. The '89+ subframe will support that motor with different motor mounts. Oh, and no fart cannons.

Gunnar
2011-04-04, 11:13 PM
First mod, drop the de and throw in a det. :P

GE/GTE, on the Toyotas. You're thinking Nissans.

spikejnz
2011-04-04, 11:17 PM
GE/GTE, on the Toyotas. You're thinking Nissans.

Doh, ignore me. I'm half asleep in bed. Not ready to sleep yet. For what its worth, i used to rock a 200SX SE-R as well. :P

Regardless, ditch the GE.

alucardunit1
2011-04-05, 12:39 AM
Doh, ignore me. I'm half asleep in bed. Not ready to sleep yet. For what its worth, i used to rock a 200SX SE-R as well. :P

Regardless, ditch the GE.

lol you should ignore the other guy lol you are right I am acctually looking in to doing a gte swap this winter if any thing right now i am going to get the car looking good right now it is a project lol. but yeah i dont have BALLER funds but i have enough to swap out for the gte. but i am hoping to set the car up for either auto cross or drift i cant decide yet.

spikejnz
2011-04-05, 08:26 AM
I'll be honest, they're super fat and it'll take a lot to get it to handle right. First thing in that will be to ditch those Tokico Illuminate IIs. TEMS is great, but a legit aftermarket suspension is going to be your best bet. Back when I had my '87, a buddy of mine had Tein coilovers on his '91. The difference was night-and-day!

Supras are GT cars, so autocross is possible, but theyre not going to be the top performers in whatever class you run in. Drifting could be fun, but you'll likely need to ditch the stock driveshaft for an aftermarket solid shaft. That center carrier bearing is known to fail under heavy use. Driveshaft Shop has (at least they used to) a nice solid one piece aluminum driveshaft.

GL and post pics!

-edit-

On second thought, I don't think the NAs had TEMS. Whatever, go coilovers regardless.

87supraT
2011-04-05, 09:20 AM
Spikejnz I'm not sure where you got all of your info, but my stock driveshaft was fine with my 600whp 89 supra... The clutch is what went out. So I went to an RPS StgIII clutch with a 3200lb pressure plate. Also, a 7M-GTE block will hold just as much power as a 2JZ will stock for stock and you'll spend a lot less getting the 7M engine to have more power. Go check out supramania.com. It's a forum geared mostly towards MKIII supras.

87supraT
2011-04-05, 09:23 AM
Oh and Alucardunit1... I'd keep a close eye on the headgasket. Either before it blows or after, I'd go with a cometic headgasket and ARP studs. That right there, will be a lifesaver down the road. I think that was the first thing I did when I got my 89 because my 87 had a blown headgasket and I already had the stuff to do it. Also, there are people who have just swapped a GTE head onto the GE block and made it a turbo setup. Depending on what you're going for the N/A rear diff could be more benificial to you. If you're going for a drag setup the N/A rear diff (as long as it's an LSD) would be better because of it's gearing. Also, ditch the W58 tranny and go for the turbo tranny (R154). You'll also need the turbo driveshaft I believe... It's been a long time since I've worked on a MkIII supra though.

spikejnz
2011-04-05, 09:37 AM
Spikejnz I'm not sure where you got all of your info, but my stock driveshaft was fine with my 600whp 89 supra... The clutch is what went out. So I went to an RPS StgIII clutch with a 3200lb pressure plate. Also, a 7M-GTE block will hold just as much power as a 2JZ will stock for stock and you'll spend a lot less getting the 7M engine to have more power. Go check out supramania.com. It's a forum geared mostly towards MKIII supras.

7M hold as much as a 2JZ? Who's your dealer? I want some. :rofl:

You can push the stock 2JZ bottom end to 800-1000 HP, whereas the 7M has to be built for 500 HP. Sure, without going piggyback you can shim the WG, throw on a 3" DP/Exhaust and go with an open-element filter and get to about 300 HP. Doing the same work on a 2JZ will net a larger HP increase. Then again, they're equals...stock-for-stock, right? :biggrin:

Also, plenty of guys on SOGI, including myself, blew their carrier bearings. Sure that's not the only reason to switch, but it's a damn good one.

Also, there are people who have just swapped a GTE head onto the GE block and made it a turbo setup.

No oil squirters, higher compression ratio, block not plumbed for oil-cooler lines...etc etc.

87supraT
2011-04-05, 09:40 AM
7M hold as much as a 2JZ? Who's your dealer? I want some. :rofl:

You can push the stock 2JZ bottom end to 800-1000 HP, whereas the 7M has to be built for 500 HP. Sure, without going piggyback you can shim the WG, throw on a 3" DP/Exhaust and go with an open-element filter and get to about 300 HP. Doing the same work on a 2JZ will net a larger HP increase. Then again, they're equals...stock-for-stock, right? :biggrin:

Also, plenty of guys on SOGI, including myself, blew their carrier bearings. Sure that's not the only reason to switch, but it's a damn good one.

LOL. My stock block/head held 600whp just fine, and please show me where a STOCK 2JZ bottom end held 800-1000whp... lol Please oh please, show me master where a 2JZ STOCK has held 800-1000whp... LOL

spikejnz
2011-04-05, 09:47 AM
LOL. My stock block/head held 600whp just fine, and please show me where a STOCK 2JZ bottom end held 800-1000whp... lol Please oh please, show me master where a 2JZ STOCK has held 800-1000whp... LOL

Ever heard of a little site called SupraStore.com? Yeah, the owner--Mark Tozer--had a '98 that put down over 800 hp on a stock bottom end.

It's early, and I can't remember his name (i'll figure it out and post it later), but there was a drag racer in the mid-2000s that pushed his MKIV as far as it would go on the stock bottom end. He made it to just shy of 1000 HP before the rods gave. No small fry, either; everyone knew him. JESUS why can't I think of his name.

...regardless, you were saying?

-edit-

CRAIG PAISLEY! Jesus my brain is slow today. Anyway, he pushed his stock bottom end to WELL over 800 HP before the rods gave, and then he went for a full build.

ALOT of Supra's Making Big HP don't have built Bottom Ends. Craig Paisley's Supra's bottom end was 100% Stock, and he Ran Super Low 8's for Hundreds of runs without taking the heads off once, in fact the only thing that was different in Craig's Supra was the camshafts. The Bottom end was how it came from the factory. If I remember Correctly with a factory bottom end, block and internals, with nothing but camshafts, His redline was in the upper 8000's. The entire motor in his car was 100% stock sans camshafts.

87supraT
2011-04-05, 09:53 AM
Ever heard of a little site called SupraStore.com? Yeah, the owner--Mark Tozer--had a '98 that put down over 800 hp on a stock bottom end.

It's early, and I can't remember his name (i'll figure it out and post it later), but there was a drag racer in the mid-2000s that pushed his MKIV as far as it would go on the stock bottom end. He made it to just shy of 1000 HP before the rods gave. No small fry, either; everyone knew him. JESUS why can't I think of his name.

...regardless, you were saying?

Oh, so we are talking about pushing them until they blow right? Well, then there have been plenty of 7m's to go well beyond 600whp on a stock bottom end. They didn't last long, but they were there.

If you want we can take this to PM's so we don't clutter up the OP's thread. To be honest it's been almost 8yrs since I had my last supra. I'd be interested to see these threads though.

spikejnz
2011-04-05, 09:58 AM
Fair enough. Defeat is a bitter pill to swallow. :whipping:

Yeah I sold my MK3 YEARS ago. I remember staying up late reading SOGI, SupraForums and MKIV.com until my eyes burned, trying to gleam as much info as I could. Alas, my foot was faster than my brain and I had to sell the car to keep from losing my license. No, really, I used the money to pay a lawyer to keep me out of jail. :P

alucardunit1
2011-04-05, 11:05 AM
awesome, im loving the info here guys, but i guess the main question i have to ask is where would be the best place to get performance parts for a MKIII. like what would be the best adjustable suspension, sway bars, and strut bars things like that. in all honesty i think i am going to go with the GTE just because it will be more friendly with my wallet. so but i appreciate all the info it gives me a good list to start with.

spikejnz
2011-04-05, 11:35 AM
This is a good place to start:

http://www.suprastore.com/19193rdgenmk.html

Be sure to shop around to find the best prices, though. Coilovers will run you between $1300 and $1800. If that's too much for you, the Eibach ProKit + Koni Yellows are a good option. You're not going to get the best performace, but they're far better than stock.

alucardunit1
2011-04-05, 05:15 PM
This is a good place to start:

http://www.suprastore.com/19193rdgenmk.html

Be sure to shop around to find the best prices, though. Coilovers will run you between $1300 and $1800. If that's too much for you, the Eibach ProKit + Koni Yellows are a good option. You're not going to get the best performace, but they're far better than stock.

What about adjustable suspension? how much does that run or are those adjustable?

87supraT
2011-04-06, 09:25 AM
What about adjustable suspension? how much does that run or are those adjustable?

It'll be pricey. You've got to remember that there weren't that many MkIII supra's sold in the US. So, the parts will be limited and to get something good you'll spend some $$$. You might be able to find something that is used... Have you checked out supramania.com yet?

spikejnz
2011-04-06, 12:26 PM
^^ that. The MK3 enjoyed marginal success at the beginning, and just went downhill from there. It's an expensive platform, but some of that has to do with the nameplate.

Parts for a Toyota: $
Parts for a MKIII Toyota Supra: $$$
Parts for a MKIII Toyota Supra Turbo: $$$$
Parts for a MKIV Toyota Supra Turbo: $$$$$$$

alucardunit1
2011-04-06, 01:14 PM
It'll be pricey. You've got to remember that there weren't that many MkIII supra's sold in the US. So, the parts will be limited and to get something good you'll spend some $$$. You might be able to find something that is used... Have you checked out supramania.com yet?

what do you mean by pricey i have found some coilovers that are around 1000

87supraT
2011-04-06, 02:15 PM
what do you mean by pricey i have found some coilovers that are around 1000

I guess it depends on what your definition of pricey is... To me that would be pretty pricey. :)

87supraT
2011-04-06, 02:17 PM
^^ that. The MK3 enjoyed marginal success at the beginning, and just went downhill from there. It's an expensive platform, but some of that has to do with the nameplate.

Parts for a Toyota: $
Parts for a MKIII Toyota Supra: $$$
Parts for a MKIII Toyota Supra Turbo: $$$$
Parts for a MKIV Toyota Supra Turbo: $$$$$$$

Agreed! I did some research one time when someone hit my 89 turbo white package and found that there were less than 15k MkIII's sold from 86.5 to 92.5 in the US. I can't seem to find it, but I had a chart that showed how many of what colors and packages that were sold. Man I miss my old supra. It was the most fun I've had in a car.

snm95ls
2011-04-06, 02:18 PM
:lurk:

1000 pricey for coilovers?

:confused:

alucardunit1
2011-04-06, 11:42 PM
awesome i am glad to hear so many people enjoyed the car i know i am enjoying putting this thing back together. i cant wait till i can get her out on the road and drive some. it aint been able to pass inspection.

Turboed4
2011-04-07, 02:12 AM
look before you start adding power adders to this car figure out what you can afford for tooning. The stock ecu has not been hacked like a honda or a dsm. my suggestion for this car is to buy a aem stand alone then you can do what ever you want because you have a tunable ecu. suspention wise I would throw a set of eibachs and call it a day. the dampning on the stock struts is very stiff. the stock springs are very soft for a smooth ride. the car was originally intended for a luxury sports car. you can turbo the stock GE in your car no problem. it not having oil squirters is a plus in my opinion that oil pressure can go else where more needed. the pistons in the GE ARE THE SAME AS THE PISTONS IN THE GET. THE HEAD IS THE SAME MINUS THE LIFT AND THE LONGER DURATION ON THE N/A CAMS. They are a cheap upgrade for the turbo cars. Also when buying used electricall parts make sure they are for your year half way through 89 they changed alot of stuff on them the 89 year is very odd. if you have the early system your ecu plugs will be green if you have the later system they will be grey.

Gunnar
2011-04-07, 04:02 AM

I stopped reading the thread at this point. There have been multiple 2JZ cars that have made over a grand at the wheels on a completely unopened bottom end.

87supraT
2011-04-07, 09:55 AM
I stopped reading the thread at this point. There have been multiple 2JZ cars that have made over a grand at the wheels on a completely unopened bottom end.

Right, and we've already covered this... They don't last at that power but thanks for bringing it back up.

alucardunit1
2011-04-07, 12:13 PM
look before you start adding power adders to this car figure out what you can afford for tooning. The stock ecu has not been hacked like a honda or a dsm. my suggestion for this car is to buy a aem stand alone then you can do what ever you want because you have a tunable ecu. suspention wise I would throw a set of eibachs and call it a day. the dampning on the stock struts is very stiff. the stock springs are very soft for a smooth ride. the car was originally intended for a luxury sports car. you can turbo the stock GE in your car no problem. it not having oil squirters is a plus in my opinion that oil pressure can go else where more needed. the pistons in the GE ARE THE SAME AS THE PISTONS IN THE GET. THE HEAD IS THE SAME MINUS THE LIFT AND THE LONGER DURATION ON THE N/A CAMS. They are a cheap upgrade for the turbo cars. Also when buying used electricall parts make sure they are for your year half way through 89 they changed alot of stuff on them the 89 year is very odd. if you have the early system your ecu plugs will be green if you have the later system they will be grey.

So where is the best site to order parts from i know there a alot of them and i just want the best price. First thing I am going to do though is the suspention the rear end shakes every time i go around a corner and the tires try to slide out. then exhaust. i am planning on putting the gte in the car just so i dont have to screw around with all the worry about oil squirters and things like that because i dont have the knowledge to do all that nor the tools.

Turboed4
2011-04-07, 03:06 PM
So where is the best site to order parts from i know there a alot of them and i just want the best price. First thing I am going to do though is the suspention the rear end shakes every time i go around a corner and the tires try to slide out. then exhaust. i am planning on putting the gte in the car just so i dont have to screw around with all the worry about oil squirters and things like that because i dont have the knowledge to do all that nor the tools.

the the stock turbo engine all you gain is oil cooler and oil squirters nothing else. its worth it in my opinion thou. just find a full turbo swap with everything. get a some 550 injectors a 255 pump and a lexus afm and a front mount with hard piping and make almost 500 to the rear wheels on the stock turbo at 15psi.

spikejnz
2011-04-07, 03:27 PM
the the stock turbo engine all you gain is oil cooler and oil squirters nothing else. its worth it in my opinion thou. just find a full turbo swap with everything. get a some 550 injectors a 255 pump and a lexus afm and a front mount with hard piping and make almost 500 to the rear wheels on the stock turbo at 15psi.

Hmm?

Oil Cooler
Oil Squirters
Lower Compression
Better flowing head
Different intake manifold
Hot-wire AFM instead of flapper

I'm sure there's more, but that's all i can think of right now.

87supraT
2011-04-07, 04:40 PM

Sorry, but a stock turbo will never make anything near 500whp on one of those. Maybe a ported CT-26 with garret internals would, but a stock turbo will not.

Turboed4
2011-04-07, 06:17 PM
Hmm?

Oil Cooler
Oil Squirters
Lower Compression
Better flowing head
Different intake manifold
Hot-wire AFM instead of flapper

I'm sure there's more, but that's all i can think of right now.

Sorry, but a stock turbo will never make anything near 500whp on one of those. Maybe a ported CT-26 with garret internals would, but a stock turbo will not.

nothing againts you 2 but I have done we he is about to attemp.

also not possible we are talking about a car that picks up 50 to 80 wheel hp on just exhaust and larger intercooler piping.

the n/a car and the turbo car have the same cp and the same fucking head. the only difference in the engines is oil squirters and cams the oil cooler is just the oil filter housing with an in and outlet for coolant

87supraT
2011-04-08, 12:10 AM
nothing againts you 2 but I have done we he is about to attemp.

also not possible we are talking about a car that picks up 50 to 80 wheel hp on just exhaust and larger intercooler piping.

the n/a car and the turbo car have the same cp and the same fucking head. the only difference in the engines is oil squirters and cams the oil cooler is just the oil filter housing with an in and outlet for coolant

I've done this as well... and I think you're thinking of exhaust and an intake. The IC piping wouldn't affect HP at all, just lag.

snm95ls
2011-04-08, 12:12 AM
Supras are teh gheyness.

Gunnar
2011-04-08, 12:13 AM

It's not the same head. The intake and exhaust manifolds have different flanges between the two, and the NA head has the provisions for a distributor.

snm95ls
2011-04-08, 12:15 AM
DIS is teh gheyness.

Gunnar
2011-04-08, 12:18 AM
It's not the same head. The intake and exhaust manifolds have different flanges between the two, and the NA head has the provisions for a distributor.

Unless you guys are back to talking about the 7M's, in that case I don't know shit about them.

snm95ls
2011-04-08, 12:20 AM
Gunnarturd, they are most certainly talking about 7M nonsense.

Needs more IUZ,

alucardunit1
2011-04-08, 01:09 AM
Gunnarturd, they are most certainly talking about 7M nonsense.

Needs more IUZ,

lol those cost lots of moneyz

snm95ls
2011-04-08, 01:12 AM
1UZ-FE FTW, And not they do not cost lots of money.

If they do, then it is time for LM7 FTW.

87supraT
2011-04-08, 09:41 AM
1UZ-FE FTW, And not they do not cost lots of money.

If they do, then it is time for LM7 FTW.

Those 1UZ-FE's are pretty sweet. The kid that bought my 89 supra was going to swap one of those in there after he blew the engine I had in there.

alucardunit1
2011-04-08, 10:59 AM
Meh i guess i aint really looking to put a v8 in there