PDA

View Full Version : Furnace Issue

Joe
2011-04-21, 10:32 AM
Can someone help me with the screen name of the local furnace guy? Is it 91stang? or 91-stang? Something like that. Would like to run an issue by him and maybe have him come out.

Thanks in advance.

Joe

phreakdna
2011-04-21, 11:14 AM
Can someone help me with the screen name of the local furnace guy? Is it 91stang? or 91-stang? Something like that. Would like to run an issue by him and maybe have him come out.

Thanks in advance.

Joe
yup 91-stang
http://www.kcsr.org/member.php?u=153

Joe
2011-04-21, 01:44 PM
I guess I can just post the issue, maybe someone else knows or has advice.

Lennox furnace (I thought I wrote down the model number but had the incorrect one). I noticed it the first time the other night.

Furnace kicks on, everything is fine, heat coming out of vents. Then there will be no heat blowing out of the vents. When you go downstairs there is some kind of motor running inside the furnance but no heat is being produced (the duct work isn't warm). It looks like the pilot light is blowing out but I would shut everything off (including the gas and the kill switch on the wall). Let it sit for ten minutes, turn it all back on and its fine. Problem is that its shutting off in the middle of the night.

This is going to be a dumb question also, but I believe the only filtration I have is an "electronic air cleaner". Its a unit that I can pull out and clean the metal blades and put back in. If this thing has a paper filter it is impossible to find.

I believe furnace was a new unit with the house which was built in 1997, so its 11 years old. Thanks in advance.

Joe

*Also, I was reading online that the blower could be the issue, but I figure if its blowing that seems unlikely. Just trying to get any ideas before I shell out money to have somethign major done.

thestealth
2011-04-21, 02:06 PM
It probably has an electric heat element to light the burners, hence, no pilot light. From what you've described, it sounds like you have a dirty air gap flame sensor. I have a York unit from around the same time period and every few years I've had to clean the air gap flame sensor. On my unit, it is a probe that is about 3" long. It needs removed and cleaned with something like a green scratch pad/fine sand paper and reinstalled. Obviously, shut off any power source when mucking around the inner workings of your furnace.

Edit: I incorrectly called it an air gap, it is a flame sensor. My mistake. :)

http://www.asi-heating-airconditioning.com/A_Simple_Fix_Gas_Furnace.html

Joe
2011-04-21, 02:57 PM
Its funny you post that because someone I work with was describing the same thing. I guess I'll try to kill myself finding it tonight. :mrgreen:

I always hope for something simple but think in the back of my mind I'll probably have to replace the house to fix it.

mrcooley
2011-04-21, 03:47 PM
If this doesn't work - there is a pressure switch that turns the gas on and off...make sure the hose going to the gas valve from the pressure switch is clear.

CC's70RS
2011-04-21, 04:04 PM
My furnace was doing the same thing a couple years ago. It's a Lennox. I believe it was the curcuit board.

Corners
2011-04-21, 05:24 PM
FYI, you can get a paper filter to go into the place of the ESP. Works WAY better at actually filtering out stuff.

mrcooley
2011-04-21, 05:39 PM
FYI, you can get a paper filter to go into the place of the ESP. Works WAY better at actually filtering out stuff.

This.

It's a 4" thick paper filter.

Joe
2011-04-21, 05:48 PM
Awesome info, thank you all.

I've never seen a furnace (granted, I haven't seen a thousand of them) without a paper filter. I looked up and down for that damn thing.

I think I'm going to try the paper idea also, it seems that the electronic one has been crap since we moved in.

thestealth
2011-04-21, 06:08 PM
Which could very well be why your flame sensor possibly has build up on it. :)

Joe
2011-04-23, 09:37 AM
Seems to be working alright currently. Thanks again all!

91-stang
2011-04-23, 06:05 PM
glad you seem to have got it resolved. you need to make sure and measure the EXACT measurement of the filter system because not all 4" filters are actually 4". some are like 3 and 3 1/2. i got the wrong size last time i picked one up(they still say 4") and i had to throw a 1" in with it....lol