PDA

View Full Version : Deck

01SteedaGT
2011-04-28, 10:18 AM
Hey everyone, been lurking around this section of the forum quite a bit since I bought my house about a year ago. I've definitely comes across some great information and hopefully I have helped a couple people out along the way. This year with our tax return, my wife and I are thinking about redoing the landscaping and possibly adding a deck to the back of our house. I've thought about doing both myself to save some coin but thought I should get a second opinion as well.

I'm looking for a company you've worked with before that could give me an estimate to get a deck built at my house. I'm in the Olathe area (if that matters). I'm about 90% sure I'm going to do the landscaping work myself, and I know I could build the deck, but am not sure about all the codes and ordinances associated with building one.

Please let me know if you have a good or bad recommedation for a deck builder in the area.

Thanks!!

Joe
2011-04-28, 04:01 PM
I can't offer recommendations for deck work, but I did build mine myself. I pulled a copy of the Lee's Summit code and just followed it (I had built a deck before, so I had a little experience).

It did take me awhile, but I wasn't in any hurry. Biggest thing for me was making sure everything is square before you start constructing. Might be an option. Its not something that will happen in a weeked, but you can definitely save some money. Just a thought.

01SteedaGT
2011-04-28, 04:08 PM
Yeah, my father-in-law built his own deck so I do have someone I can go to for help. I know I could do it, but I know it will be hard to find the time to complete it in a timely manner. I'll probably price it out both ways and see how much I would save by doing it myself.

Syri
2011-04-28, 05:19 PM
You will need to fill out one of these for Olathe if it's above 30":

http://www.olatheks.org/Development/BuildingPermits/Residential

01SteedaGT
2011-04-29, 09:26 AM

I'll have to see. Its going to a pretty low profile deck. We only have two steps going down to the patio right now from the back door. Chances are I will probably go ahead and fill it out. THanks for letting me know about that!

fast895ohstang
2011-05-01, 05:40 PM
build it yourself matt, btw good to see ya back around. a coworker of mine knows you and your brother.

01SteedaGT
2011-05-02, 09:54 AM
build it yourself matt, btw good to see ya back around. a coworker of mine knows you and your brother.

It's good to be back. I've seen ya running around town a few times. Yeah, I asked Sean if he worked with you up there. We should get together sometime.

spyde25
2011-05-03, 05:55 PM

And what happens if you didnt, i have a friend that built a deck without a permit.

nusch
2011-05-05, 02:44 PM
The permit (at least for Olathe) is a bit of a hastle. You have to have a scale drawing of your plot with dimensions showing the house and deck design included. It will have to show the distance from the deck to the borders of your property so that they can be sure you aren't overstepping your neighbors rights etc. You also have to have another scale drawing that shows the design of the deck and includes some of the constructions specifics, ie. how it will attach to the house, the distance between joists etc. If you plan on doing the deck yourself I think they charge something like $0.40/sq ft for the permit, and more if you are using a contractor. Permits supposedly take 3 days for review (but I got mine back in 1).

How to get the Map Parcel for your property in JOCO:
Map parcel with dimensions- http://land.jocogov.org/landsearch.aspx
follow the link, enter your address. This should take you to a stat sheet about the property, select the Map Parcel choice above. It's important that once the Map Parcel screen comes up you check the boxes on the left of the screen for property dimensions and aerial images. This made the process a ton easier.

But hey, if you aren't required to get a permit save yourself the hastle and the cash. Good luck!

ksdogg
2011-05-20, 09:41 PM
permit is a set price i build houses in olathe know the codes and could do the deck. if you do it yes you will save money if some one else dose it it will be dun right to code and in one day depending the size.
have any more ?? pm me about codes or what ever else

01SteedaGT
2011-05-23, 11:10 AM
Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm gonna build the deck myself. Hoping to get started on it within the next week or two. Its a smaller low-level deck (under 30"). Shouldn't be too difficult.

01SteedaGT
2011-05-26, 02:41 PM
Does anyone know if there is a difference in the quality of Cedar between 84 Lumber and Home Depot/Lowes?