PDA

View Full Version : fzr 600 tuning

dslimtuner913
2011-05-15, 08:28 PM
so i just got a bike yesterday it runs great low rpms but in every gear it bogs down pretty bad and starts popping.you can ease into the throttle and it gradually gets up to were it will bog.. but while sitting it revs all the way up perfect no issues.

bike specs

88 fzr custom streetfighter
pod filters
flow commander
high performance ignition coil(not yet installed)

i was reading that maybe it could be the vr thats gone bad causing it to bog up high.i get home last night turn the bike off and its completely dead after riding it home from st jo not one issue till i get home and try to restart it.it has a yzf600 vr already installed fairly new...just bought new battery scared to put in and kill that one to...could the bogging be the VR(voltage regulator) or the flow commanders just need to be tuned??

any one with knowledge to this please help out

Billy Mild
2011-05-16, 09:44 AM
Not sure what a flow commander is. That bike is carb'd so I would look into a jetkit. Pod filters will cause it to run a little lean which can be hard to start if the engine is really hot. Have you looked at your plugs yet?

brveagle
2011-05-16, 01:45 PM
Flo Commanders look to be a joke, but whatever..

It's not your "VR". It's going to be carb related. Most likely you are running too lean. Also check your float level while you are in the carbs.

dslimtuner913
2011-05-17, 06:52 PM
yea im a take it up to smithers and see if he can put on the dyno.but im haviing that issue still were my bike will ride for a while then the battery is dead outta no were.im thinking it realy gotta be the vr im a hook up multi meter and see kinda makin me mad just bought the battery yesterday drove the bike to work walked out after work to leave and it was dead

Stanglover
2011-05-19, 06:27 AM
First, Yamaha didn't make an FZR600 in 1988. The first year for those was 1989. So you either have a 1988 FZ600 or 1989+ FZR600, make sure which one it is before you start buying parts that might not fit. I used to own an '89 FZR600, it also had the voltage regulator go bad. It was easy to replace but did not cause the issues you are mentioning, just poor charging of the battery. I'm with the other guys, it sounds like it needs a tune up and carb work.

mrstage1
2011-05-19, 10:13 AM
It's a charging issue. Since the battery is getting killed while riding it sounds like either the regulator or gen has failed. If the battery is getting weak and long in tooth it can often not be enough to make the bike run properly. Don't forget to check the fuses and wiring to either unit though. The lack of power under load is most likely a lean condition caused by the electric fuel pump not getting enough voltage slowing down the pump and causing low pressure and volume.

Fix the charging issue and I have money the bike will run just fine.

PS: Have had several Yamaha sport bikes since the 80's. Know the layout from "back in the day" on these bikes. LOL.

ReidStylez
2011-05-19, 11:52 AM
Charging system on an 80's Yamaha are a joke.

I bet it's your rectifier/regulator. Look at your plug that connects to it.

dslimtuner913
2011-05-24, 06:29 PM
thanks guys for the input but i tested everything and the stator is shot was only pushing 18 volts at max.so i ordered a new one will be here friday :mrgreen: can wait to get this thing back on the road warm weather is almost here and yes its an 89 sorry typed it out wrong has the motor off a 92 though:thumbsup: