PDA

View Full Version : P&L - Your thoughts?

Hyang
2011-06-16, 02:36 PM
Ok, so I recently went down to P&L a few days ago, from what I experienced it seems as if the place is starting to go downhill. I mean, it has been a few years besides the other day that i've been there.

The few times i've been there years ago, people actually dressed nice (no jeans, t-shirts, anything like that..) And there weren't people standing around on the sidewalks and in the street blocking traffic and wanting to act like thugs.

Won't be going back there for a while!

BDoty
2011-06-16, 04:43 PM
So...you saw black people down there, and aren't going back?

turbotuner20v
2011-06-16, 04:45 PM
seems like most of my friends have migrated to martini corner, so I don't really go down there anymore.. last time I went it seemed fine though

sleepysvt98
2011-06-16, 04:50 PM
I used to frequent P&L every weekend and then some. In recent times it seems like I find myself in the Waldo area, and I enjoy it.

Hyang
2011-06-16, 10:00 PM

Some asians, blacks, hispanics, whites, people with no manners, not a bit of class at all!

peckergnat
2011-06-17, 05:51 PM
I never cared to go to the P&L district. I always figured the douche-bag quotient there would be too high for my liking. I did take the wife to eat a couple weeks back at Zaina, which is just a block or so away. Afterwards I said lets go for a walk , just to check it out. As we got closer I could see tables and booths set up along the street. When we finally got there we found out it was the Gay Pride Festival going on. Didn't hang out for long.

Protege94
2011-06-17, 06:55 PM
I never cared to go to the P&L district. I always figured the douche-bag quotient there would be too high for my liking. I did take the wife to eat a couple weeks back at Zaina, which is just a block or so away. Afterwards I said lets go for a walk , just to check it out. As we got closer I could see tables and booths set up along the street. When we finally got there we found out it was the Gay Pride Festival going on. Didn't hang out for long.

I live 6 floors above that resturant and hear GREAT things. How was the food?

P&L has completely gone to shit ever since they got rid of the dress code. I have lived in the power and light district for about 4 months now and have been to P&L once and I was only there with my friends for about 45 minutes and left because it was just to shitty to handle. Before anyone jumps to comclusions I am by no means racist its just a combination of ALL the trash that now attend power and light. I now drink at the quaff off broadway.

chrome
2011-06-17, 06:58 PM
So weird i have not been in a while either until last saturday and noticed soo many more "thugz" and unclassy people. And white people were for sure the minority. I have been going to martini corner for the past few months. And i am pretty sure that i will be staying there from now on.....

ctprelude
2011-06-17, 07:08 PM
Martini corner is always a good time.

BINX
2011-06-17, 07:09 PM

seriously ? how racist can you get?:thumbsdown:

BDoty
2011-06-17, 09:07 PM
seriously ? how racist can you get?:thumbsdown:

Exactly.

blrx7r1
2011-06-17, 09:57 PM
Last time I was at Martini corner someone got shot. I guess no where is safe?

peckergnat
2011-06-17, 10:10 PM
I live 6 floors above that resturant and hear GREAT things. How was the food?

I am a somewhat picky eater. Can't handle mayo, too hot or vinegar in food. I got their Chicken Shwarma(sp?) and it was tasty. The wife raved about their gyro and baklava. The owner found out we were out for her birthday and treated us like we owned the place. Cheap prices too.

We will be back.

SickBoy
2011-06-17, 10:48 PM
Last year i was at PnL damn near every weekend. Noticed some trashy people, but for the most part i could drink with some friends and we'd all keep to ourselves. Now, however, i can't stand to go down there for all the trashy people of all colors and walks of life clogging the streets, sidewalks, and walkways in the structure itself. Not to mention the ridiculous prices for drinks and shitty bartenders.

Now I mostly go down to westport and drink primarily at McCoys, Beer Kitchen, and The Foundry. better vibe, better people, better prices

Rmac
2011-06-18, 03:53 AM
Westport, Martini Corner, Waldo, or on occasion the Brookside area, or just about anywhere else downtown.

milanoGSRteg
2011-06-18, 04:16 AM
Overpriced drinks.. My friend, who is a male got roofied down there on his birthday. Yeah i stick to the quaff..

milanoGSRteg
2011-06-18, 04:17 AM
Not to mention all the bros down there.. The ones with their gaudy shiny affliction shirts and tap out shirts on.. Spikey hair and all. Fuckin lame.

Hyang
2011-06-18, 03:47 PM
Not to mention all the bros down there.. The ones with their gaudy shiny affliction shirts and tap out shirts on.. Spikey hair and all. Fuckin lame.

It's a jersey thing.

milanoGSRteg
2011-06-18, 04:13 PM
Yeah it is man

Ryan D
2011-06-19, 04:08 PM

It's not just blacks that act trashy down there.

Hyang
2011-06-19, 10:57 PM
It's not just blacks that act trashy down there.

It was more than just blacks. That place is gone so downhill.

jwdb1fish
2011-06-19, 11:20 PM
The wife and I went down there to celebrate a friends birthday, realized how old we were, and have not made it back :(

She works at the Cigar Box right down the street and they have benefited from the district opening for sure.

Scooby24
2011-06-19, 11:20 PM

So...you heard someone complain about people not dressing nice, standing around on the sidewalks and streets blocking traffic and acting like thugs and instantly thought of black people?

ItalionStallion888
2011-06-29, 12:29 PM
The wife and I went down there to celebrate a friends birthday, realized how old we were, and have not made it back :(

She works at the Cigar Box right down the street and they have benefited from the district opening for sure.

we stopped going down on the weekends. During the week it's not as packed and it's mostly people who just got off work. I wish it was like that all of the time.

EA
2011-07-19, 02:56 PM
I hate hearing about places like that going down the hill.

However I am happy to hear about Martini corner being the spot for people to migrate to.
I always loved that area, and hopped that the "district" wouldn't kill the "corner" businesses.

turbodsm96
2011-07-19, 04:50 PM
Last time I was at Martini corner someone got shot. I guess no where is safe?

Sadly KC is turning to complete trash. It's odd that you almost can't go anywhere in the city without feeling like your going to get attacked/robbed/ect.

freekwonder
2011-07-19, 05:05 PM
Sadly KC is turning to complete trash. It's odd that you almost can't go anywhere in the city without feeling like your going to get attacked/robbed/ect.

Turning?

I've never been a fan of P&L. Somebody made a good amount of money off the city.

LSCobra
2011-07-19, 06:57 PM
I went to P&L last weekend for the first time in months.
Crowd was mixed, but I saw no problems and had a good time.

Do thugs and mobs of date-raping bros annoy me? Sure, but I surround myself with quality people and don't let the asshats dictate my night.

Having said that, anytime one is an environment of predominately intoxicated people, you can expect issues. Keep your wits and your head up. It's mostly easy to spot, but still not 100% to know who could get OOC at any given moment.

sebaz
2011-07-20, 06:03 PM
The last time I was faced with an evening at P&L, I walked to ZooBar and enjoyed my evening and average priced drinks.

Sunny Z
2011-07-20, 09:40 PM
I've had a good time the last couple times I've been there. Of course we went on thursday to the free country concerts, so there was a TON of white trash hillbillies. Beers were overpriced ($8 big boys), but I had a pretty good time with my group of about 8 friends. It was the first time in a long time I'd spent a benjie on a thursday. Where I go to school, all the bars to $1 night on thursday to draw a crowd. Ho hum.

Lurch
2011-07-20, 10:45 PM
P&L for dinner is usually a good thing, but going there for a beer is a waste of time IMO because there are bars much closer to me that serve the beers I prefer. I see it as being a trendy place to go over anything else really...but then again that's just me

MR2 Josh
2011-07-22, 12:31 AM
I can't stand the place anymore. I used to go every other weekend a few years ago but now it just annoys me. I'm more of a chill relax in a booth or whatever with friends. The music is way to loud in some of those bars. I sound old as shit saying that but it's to the point that at the end of the night and even the next day I feel like I was at a concert by one of the speakers. You can't hold a conversation without yelling.

Their dress code is obnoxious. I was in jeans and a baseball shirt from college that I turned inside out and they said I couldn't enter because I didn't have a V neck or writing/designs on my shirt. It wasn't because I had holes, or saggy pants or gang related crap but because I didn't have a V neck or designs on my shirt. He said I could walk around the block and turn my shirt inside out if I had writing on the other side which there was. Instead of bothering with that I just did it right there and walked in.

The last few times I have gone there have been some little issue that annoys the hell out of me.

There are bars in Lawrence that I enjoy far better (more chill) than P&L and the prices in Lawrence are dirt cheap.