View Full Version : SCCA KC Region Event #2 MAy 16

Hotwheelharmer
2010-04-26, 03:48 PM
Event #2 is coming up soon and is on May 16 at MCC. I am co-chair for this event and the Chair and I have come up with a cool race after the regular runs. Here are the rules for it:

Following regular heats at Event #2, we will host the Big Mouth Challenge, a best-of-the-best, single-elimination tournament. The top eight finishers in the RTP/PAX rankings are automatically in the Challenge. Four additional drivers will be selected by random drawing to "Race-In" to the Challenge.

And, just to make it a bit more interesting, there will be a modest cash prize for the Big Mouth winner.

Here are the rules cooked up by Brian Harmer and myself. Check them out and follow up with any questions you might have.

THE BIG MOUTH CHALLENGE

1. After the final heat of the day, the top 8 finishers according to RTP/PAX will qualify for the Big Mouth Challenge, with a maximum of two participants per class. Drivers are seeded based on their RTP/PAX ranking from the day's event.
2. In addition, four drivers will be chosen by a drawing of the Event Chair and Cochair to participate in a Race-In for the No. 9 & 10 seeds in the Big Mouth Challenge. (See below for more info on the Race-In.)
3. Each competitor that qualifies for the Big Mouth Challenge will pay $2 to compete.
4. If, for any reason, a driver cannot compete in the Big Mouth Challenge, that slot may
be filled by the highest ranking remaining drivers from the RTP/PAX rankings. Should a competitor receive a "bye," the driver will not be allowed to make practice runs.
5. The second driver of a two-driver team in the Challenge has a maximum
of eight minutes from the time the first driver returns to the Grid
to get ready to proceed to staging. A minimum of five minutes must
separate the runs of the two drivers.
6. The best raw time from the event's regular heats will be the “dial-in” �e for each
driver. If during the Big Mouth Challenge, a driver's raw time, minus any handicap, is
lower than their dial in time, the dial-in time will be readjusted in the next round.
7. Drivers will be paired by their Big Mouth seeding for the first round of runs.
a. Competitors will be paired in single elimination brackets. Each driver will
get one run on the course per round. The raw times will determine
the winner of each round.
b. In the event of a timing equipment malfunction during the running of the
Big Mouth Challenge competitions, both cars will rerun the round.
8. The competitors with the highest seeds decide whether they will run the course first or second.
9. Winners will advance to the next elimination round as provided for on the
Big Mouth Challenge Bracketing Chart.
10. If a driver DNFs on course, it is an automatic win for the other driver.
11. In the case of a tie after a round, the tied drivers will take "tie-breaker" runs.
12. If a portion of a round is run with incorrect dial-ins, that portion will be re-run.
13. All of the above exceptions are strictly at the discretion of the Chair & Co-Chair
14. The winner of the Big Mouth Challenge will receive 50% of the challenge entry fees. The remainder will be turned over to the region.

Race-in Challenge
At the end of class competition competitors that did not qualify in the top 8 RTP/PAX are eligible to enter the Race-in Challenge.
Each eligible competitor may enter their name into a hat and the Chair and/or Co-Chair will select 4 names from the hat.
The pairings FOR THE RACE-IN DRIVERS will be selected at random, resulting in one Race-in winner.

All Big Mouth Challenge competition rules apply for the Race-In.
The winner of the Race-In will be entered into the Big Mouth Challenge as the 10 seed.

OldSupra
2010-04-27, 03:54 PM
Probably won't be very competitive in the challenge if I make it even as we are driving on street tires the next couple of events. Saving the hoosiers for Blytheville.

Kumho's on the way tough for the remainder of the year until Nats.

Hotwheelharmer
2010-04-27, 04:10 PM
Probably won't be very competitive in the challenge if I make it even as we are driving on street tires the next couple of events. Saving the hoosiers for Blytheville.

Kumho's on the way tough for the remainder of the year until Nats.

Wow street tires on that beast should be a real chore.

EuroTrashed
2010-04-29, 10:02 PM
well crap... should I just stick in SM and duke it out with Jake? I went to XP this year so I can run a few different vehicles if I feel like it. Me no like the XP pax

OldSupra
2010-04-30, 10:39 AM
well crap... should I just stick in SM and duke it out with Jake? I went to XP this year so I can run a few different vehicles if I feel like it. Me no like the XP pax

I always finished around 10th last year in PAX. So we've got a shot at getting in on Street Tires but it's slim even using the SM pax.

snm95ls
2010-05-08, 04:56 PM
I am pretty psyched about next weekend. New tires are pretty friggin awesome so far, and I can't wait to see how they work out on course.

Currently sitting at 54 out of 63 in PAX. Not quite last place.

:lolg:

KSUGreggy
2010-05-09, 12:49 AM
I'm ready for next weekend, car did great on the road course but hopefully the trans work can be wrapped up in time and I can get my next exhaust on tomorrow. I've been dying to get the car on an autox since the suspension work over the winter.

BDoty
2010-05-11, 07:11 PM
I'll either be out this weekend or next.

If you see me shooting, feel free to come say hey.:thumbsup:

Hotwheelharmer
2010-05-11, 07:28 PM

Make sure you get some shots of the slowrolla. I will be sporting a new color on the wheels this weekend (will be posting pictures of it tonight sometime).

KSUGreggy
2010-05-11, 08:30 PM

come say hi if i don't find you...i think I'm teching early and then working heat 3. hopefully the pcar makes it out of the shop in time...then it's easier to take pictures of it.:mrgreen:

enigma
2010-05-12, 03:42 AM
I'll be out in the S2000 for the first time in almost two years... Should be fun! Running BS ST. :D

Hotwheelharmer
2010-05-12, 03:23 PM
I'll be out in the S2000 for the first time in almost two years... Should be fun! Running BS ST. :D

That is a little easier PAX then SSM.

BDoty
2010-05-15, 12:00 AM
I'll be coming to the one this weekend. See y'all out there.:thumbsup:

snm95ls
2010-05-16, 04:02 PM
Working heat one sucked. Still had fun though, but I really wish my first run on the new tires was a dry one. I was pretty surprised by the amount of traction that was available even with all of the water. Was a fun course, but the chicago box threw me off quite a bit especially with the slalom afterward, but a nice challenge is a good thing.

No idea what my times were or even if I did have a +1 on the last run for sure. Hopefully I didn't loose too much ground in standings. :lolg:

Note to self: Do a much better job of preparation for a rainy event. I am still not completely dry.

Looking forward to next weekend for sure.

:woot:

BDoty
2010-05-16, 04:07 PM
I went out to shoot, but it was too rainy to stand out there with my gear. Left after about an hour of waiting for it to clear up. I'm sure it probably stopped raining right after I left.

snm95ls
2010-05-16, 04:08 PM
I went out to shoot, but it was too rainy to stand out there with my gear. Left after about an hour of waiting for it to clear up. I'm sure it probably stopped raining right after I left.

It didn't really stop raining until after heat 2 was over.

enigma
2010-05-16, 05:38 PM
Had a good time running today! Didn't quite get the time I was hoping for and think I only managed 4th or 5th in Street Tire, but I can't really complain since it was my first time autocrossing the S2000 in the rain (and the first time autocrossing an S2000 in over a year :D).

Was a fun event today, though! Track was fun and I always enjoy running in the wet. :) Managed a 58.4... where was everyone else's times at today?

Hotwheelharmer
2010-05-16, 08:19 PM
Had a good time running today! Didn't quite get the time I was hoping for and think I only managed 4th or 5th in Street Tire, but I can't really complain since it was my first time autocrossing the S2000 in the rain (and the first time autocrossing an S2000 in over a year :D).

Was a fun event today, though! Track was fun and I always enjoy running in the wet. :) Managed a 58.4... where was everyone else's times at today?

I would love to drive that course in the dry! It was a great course and the event was good despite it being pretty wet. The Big Mouth Challenge I did was a blast and a huge hit.

I beleive I had a best of a 57.0 and was happy with how I drove today.

OldSupra
2010-05-17, 04:42 PM
53.6xx in the rain and 52.xxx on the dry..ish during the Challenge. I think I heard 52.4.

I would have been faster but I was blinded by some retro looking S2000 with white wheels. I think it was being driven by Don Johnson. /ricer excuse

I did get some cool data logging numbers though! Heat 2 still pretty wet 1.18 peak lateral and 1.08 sustained G's. I think the wet set-up is dialed in!