View Full Version : Road bike pros enter

bmxbang
2010-06-25, 11:20 PM
Ok well i'm looking into getting an older cheaper road bike just to try it out. i ride bmx bikes and mtn bikes at the moment so it seems the next step is a road bike. Im about 6'2 155lbs what size frame do i need to be looking for? any other pointers/ tips on a decent old bike that would be good for a beginner? i have rode them before but they have always been newer ones and not mine.

xmarkx85
2010-06-25, 11:59 PM
Measure your standover height. Take a book and straddle it like you would the top tube of the frame. Snug it up to your balls and measure from the ground to the top of the book. That will help determine the correct frame size.

Mrated
2010-06-26, 12:15 AM
Whats your spending budget? I'm thinking a size 60 or 61 cm frame should work just fine for you but no smaller than a 58 cm. When you go see the bike check for rust, on the frame and chain. Get info on how it has been stored. Steelies can rust from the inside without much visual on the exterior. Talk to the seller and see how much they know about cycling.

If you are on a tight budget lets say under $150, then any used bike that still rolls straight should be good for a beginner. You will probably be fine tuning and restoring bits of the bike too.

photohobbyist
2010-06-26, 10:48 AM
Do one of the many bike fit measurements online, it will only take a few minutes with a measuring tape. If you want the correct fit, you can't just go by your height, or stand over height because there are many factors in getting the best fit. Some people have longer torsos, arms, legs, etc., that would lead to a different size frame. You can get away with using a general frame size, but if you plan to keep the bike for a while, or ride long distances, then I would do a more precise fitting. You also have to keep in mind, that there are different frame types(traditional, compact), and that also plays into sizing.
Without doing one of these measurements, I'd say you are between a 58cm(more aggressive) and 61 cm(more upright). But 3 cm in bike frames is a huge difference, and that is why you need to do the bike fit.

Here is a link to one of the bike fit sites

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CCY?PAGE=FIT_CALCULATOR_INTRO

-Dustin

KansasCityGT
2010-07-22, 09:40 PM
Every brand is different since there is no standard to measuring. I'm 6'2'' with a 30'' inseam. I'm a 56cm on Trek, Specialized, Fuji. I'm a 55cm on Salsa and Gary Fisher. It depends the brand. Since I'm all torso, I require a little longer of a stem. Going through a shop will give you more support instead of winging it, but no retro bikes and more expensive. First and foremost, I'd get measured and decide the brand and go through their fitting. Road bikes, Trek, Specialized, Bianchi, Cannondale, Fujim Felt, Scott, Gary Fisher, BMC, the list goes on. Know, retro bikes may require some restore work.

-Gianni-