View Full Version : My new purchase

99ls1guy
2010-07-20, 01:38 AM
Ive been wanting something to start trail riding. I havent had a bike in YEARS, and finally made up my mind. Its nothing crazy expensive, but it fits my needs....for now. Hopefully this doesnt turn into another expensive hobby.

Stock pic, since I had to order the bike. Ill try to get some real pics up soon.

Flat Black Motobecane 600HT
http://i26.tinypic.com/2ut6but.jpg

duttbart
2010-07-20, 08:36 AM
:thumbsup: now ride it like you stole it and you'll be ready to upgrade in 6 months.

buy a helmet ($30 for a decent bell/giro) and gloves. you can buy the $10 home depot work gloves, they work great. you'll thank me later when you're NOT picking rocks out of the palm of your hand.

xmarkx85
2010-07-20, 08:45 PM
Congrats on the new rig. Enjoy it.

99ls1guy
2010-07-21, 12:11 PM
It will be here tomorrow. Im itching to ride it. The GF is going to get something too but still needs to hit up some bike shops to see what fits her. Hers we will probably buy local. For now though shes got an old MTB at her dads she can tag along with. I dont know anyone else in the area that rides, so Im glad shes up for the new "hobby".

J.M.P
2010-07-21, 02:07 PM
Gloves helmet and clipless pedals if you are doing any hill climbs. Dart pretty much summed it up. Gloves are a must, hand slippage sucks big time. And a helmet, well you pretty much get that point.

Just go get it dirty as hell.

duttbart
2010-07-21, 02:38 PM
now remember, the bike WILL NOT be ready to ride out of the box. you will have to do some fine tuning etc.

hopefully you have a buddy that can come over and help. you have to make sure the wheels are installed correctly. do NOT squeeze the brake levers while the wheel(s) is off. you will end up screwing up the alignment of the caliper....be very careful about this.

take your time in getting the bike ready and if you don't feel confident in doing this, take it to a bike shop. they should only charge $30-$50.

99ls1guy
2010-07-22, 12:06 AM
now remember, the bike WILL NOT be ready to ride out of the box. you will have to do some fine tuning etc.

hopefully you have a buddy that can come over and help. you have to make sure the wheels are installed correctly. do NOT squeeze the brake levers while the wheel(s) is off. you will end up screwing up the alignment of the caliper....be very careful about this.

take your time in getting the bike ready and if you don't feel confident in doing this, take it to a bike shop. they should only charge $30-$50.

ive done my research on this and already have the few (simple) tools needed, so Im going to try and tackle it myself. As far as adjusting things, I should have no problems. Im going to assume the wheels wont need "truing"..but thats about the only thing I would need a shop to check out for me.

duttbart
2010-07-22, 08:54 AM
are you familiar with disc brakes and quick release skewers on wheels? if not, do a little reading.

www.sheldonbrown.com is a seriously helpful site for anything bicycles.

i'll say this - my 45 year old boss just bought a $2k mountain bike and still has issues making sure his wheels are perfectly aligned with the rotors etc and also snugged into the drop outs appropriately.

it's not rocket science just take it slow and you'll be set.

99ls1guy
2010-07-22, 11:15 AM
are you familiar with disc brakes and quick release skewers on wheels? if not, do a little reading.

i'll say this - my 45 year old boss just bought a $2k mountain bike and still has issues making sure his wheels are perfectly aligned with the rotors etc and also snugged into the drop outs appropriately.

Im familiar with read reading about them. I have done my "research" and watched many youtube videos but thats about it. I will check out that site for sure. Thank.

The goal is to be a self taught bike mechanic..we will see how well that goes. Id like to be able to do all of my simple fixes at home. I know there are some things that it would go into a shop for though.

99ls1guy
2010-07-22, 03:34 PM

Got it set up this morning, and went for my first short ride this afternoon. Conclusion...its HOT outside. Everything seems to be in working order. I got the brake calipers centered/adjusted, derailleurs appear to be adjusted correctly, and it rides good.

Buttdart-I still dont know what you meant by making sure the wheels are installed correctly. It was pretty straightforward, so you have me wondering if there is something more.