Mirror Finish Polishing ~ 1-816-529-6089 ~ sales@mirrorfinishpolishing.com ~ mirrorfinishpolishing.com For the best rate on home, auto, life or business/commercial insurance call me at 888-959-0955, cell 636-734-1310 or bricehazelwood@weiss-ins.com. Never Done Garage - donewhenimdead.com Peerless Automotive Reconditioning - 1155 W. Dennis Ave, Olathe Ks, 66061 - 913-893-1201 Mark H. Epstein ~ The Epstein Law Firm, LLC ~ 913-396-5123 Wilkes Automotive ~ wilkesautomotive.com ~ 246 Marion St, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ 913-254-7171 Skandalous Inc ~ www.skandalousinc.com DIY Auto Repair Inc ~ www.diyautorepairkc.com ~ 11509 Strangline Rd, Olathe KS 66062 ~ 913-226-3806 Your advertisement here! The Law Offices of Jeremiah Johnson, LLC ~ 104 E. Poplar, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ (913)764-5010 ~ www.kcatty.com - www.johnsoncountydui.com ~ jeremiah@kcatty.com Santa Fe Body, Inc ~ 8717 Lenexa Drive, Overland Park, KS 66214 ~ (913) 894-6090 House of Boost LLC Nude? HouseofHID.com - The #1 source for HID The Print Shop KC 816.200.6694 or Ryan@RMD-Photography.com the art of tyleR ~ http://tyleR.bigcartel.com ~ TYLERcoey.com ~ MUTTtoy.com ~ MUTTtoy@gmail.com W-K Chevrolet Buick Pontiac Cadillac GMC ~ 3310 W. Broadway, Sedalia, MO 65301 ~ 800-382-5088 ~ Cell 660-553-8928 ~ dustin@wkchevy.com ~ www.wkchevy.com

Go Back   KCSR - THE Kansas City Forum > General Forums > Business, Finance

Unread 2016-03-16, 12:55 PM   #1
Scooby24
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 49
Thanks (Received): 689
Likes (Given): 341
Likes (Received): 3956
Dislikes (Given): 27
Dislikes (Received): 40
Default What do you do for a living?

I'm always interested in hearing about people's careers. What is your title and what are your job responsibilities? What do you like about your job/career and how long have you been doing it?
Thanks NickW936 thanked for this post
Likes NickW936, kcdan816 liked this post
Scooby24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2016-03-16, 01:12 PM   #2
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

I am a System Administrator for the Office of the Inspector General for a specific region (can't really say which) I control access, applications and accounts for people. I've been doing IT for 12 years.

job2:US Army : 25L (Cable System Installer) << officially but I work in a S6 shop (IT for the unit)

AW|E90|ZSP|ZPP|2XA|NAV|HID| ///M | BMS |JB4 | VRSF

Last edited by JDLM; 2016-03-16 at 01:14 PM..
JDLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2016-03-16, 01:12 PM   #3
69Mach351

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 262
Thanks (Received): 233
Likes (Given): 1786
Likes (Received): 1701
Dislikes (Given): 37
Dislikes (Received): 44

I am a partner in a medium size metal fab shop. I primarily handle sales, administration, and sweeping the floors. Being a small to medium size business, I generally try to do whatever needs done. I am not above or below any job that needs to get done.

Went to college, then started with a large steel company selling wholesale. Worked my way up, earned my MBA, and jumped to a smaller company for the freedom it gave me. All together, I am in about 9.5 years.
69Mach351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2016-03-16, 01:17 PM   #4
BuddyLee

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 24
Thanks (Received): 257
Likes (Given): 61
Likes (Received): 1932
Dislikes (Given): 4
Dislikes (Received): 35

Title: Systems Administrator in support of USDA/NITC/OCIO Windows System Branch

I currently work on an internal team within that group that deals in automation. We primarily utilize BMC BladeLogic along with other tools to automate as much as possible in our enterprise datacenter environment.

I maintain all of the golden images for our virtual Windows systems. I write custom jobs for the BladeLogic system that are used system wide (most recent example would be an IE11 deployment since IE9 is now out of band).

I also troubleshoot when things in the BladeLogic environment aren't communicating correctly.

Finally I perform all of the virtual windows builds that aren't fully automated.

I like that I am working with tools I know little about compared to the rest of my skill set. It makes it challenging. I love the people that I work with. Our team is a blast to work with and we are all in our own room. I am also the team DJ, so I control what we are listening to for the day while we are working.

I have been a Windows Sys Admin/Engineer for 17 years. I think that's my biggest hang up as I am tired of that role and ready to do something different.

BuddyLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2016-03-16, 01:21 PM   #5
69Mach351

Post Thanks / Like

Sure are a lot of guys that work in IT here...that stuff makes my head hurt.
Unread 2016-03-16, 01:24 PM   #6
Keboh

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 207
Thanks (Received): 250
Likes (Given): 2464
Likes (Received): 1651
Dislikes (Given): 24
Dislikes (Received): 47

My title is Technical Trainer. I work at a small medical software company, and my main job function is training our clients (online and travelling onsite) on how to properly use our software to be as efficient as possible, as well as abiding by laws and industry regulations.

I have been in this role for just over a year, I have been at this company for just over a year and a half.

I love working for a small company, I love travelling, and I love the people I work with.

My side job's title is Fluffer, and they tell me I'm damned good at it
Unread 2016-03-16, 03:38 PM   #7
MymonteSS

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 7
Thanks (Received): 17
Likes (Given): 23
Likes (Received): 119
Dislikes (Given): 21
Dislikes (Received): 1

Lead field Technician, cell phone tower equipment. Mostly Sprint/ericsson
Unread 2016-03-16, 04:15 PM   #8
Scooby24
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

My title is Clinical Architect and I'm the architect for Cerner SurgiNet for a national healthcare system on the west coast.

I'm responsible for developing support processes, troubleshooting, optimizing, documentation standards, worfklows and enhancements for the nursing documentation suite that's utilized in the operating room for roughly 30 hospitals.

I travel for many different events involving CNO's, CIO's, directors, managers, leadership events for all the hospitals, go-live events, integrated testing, onsight assessments and ad hoc business needs.

When I'm not traveling I'm working from home which is probably what I love most about my career. The flexibility is outstanding, the pay is great and the benefits are even better. There are days that I do wish I could still go into an office and have more face to face interaction as when I go sometimes months at a time without ever seeing a single one of your co-workers or business partners, I tend to recluse up a bit and feel stuck....but the pros far outweigh the cons.

Been with this organization for about 1 year, but I've been working with Cerner software for 12 years now.
Unread 2016-03-16, 04:24 PM   #9
snm95ls

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 394
Thanks (Received): 349
Likes (Given): 3562
Likes (Received): 2052
Dislikes (Given): 64
Dislikes (Received): 56

Title: Manufacturing Process Engineer - Aluminum Machining Group

I am responsible for all of the machining lines (~39 machining centers) that make one of the six major parts made in house for a Japanese owned general purpose engine manufacturer.

Job duties include but are not limited to:
-CNC programming for all NC machines in my area
-setup for mass production (new models, additional variants, line moves, machine replacement)
-continuous improvement for quality, cost reduction, and cycle time reduction
-jig and fixture design for machining processes as well as QC checks related to the machining process
-tooling selection, design, optimization and setup.
-responsible for creating and maintaining all engineering documents related to my area (work instructions, tooling lists, part drawings)
-daily problem solving related to the machining process which may affect or be affected by other departments.

Pros:
-I have an incredible amount of freedom with this position which is actually a huge bonus.
-I do actually really enjoy what I do especially when we are busy.
-I do get a lot of opportunities to try new things to improve the processes.
-I have learned a hell of a lot about mass production machining.
-The work environment is actually pretty laid back even though we have some strict policies that are IMO outdated.

We won't get into the cons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson
...Because I live on a balanced diet, I have a balanced mind, and as a result I know that animals are like people. Some are for looking at. Some are for loving. Some are for riding. And some need to be shot because they’re a bloody nuisance.
snm95ls is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2016-03-16, 04:44 PM   #10
Ricerking13

Post Thanks / Like

Title: Insurance agent with a focus on retirement planning

I create financial plans, retirement plans, and sell insurance products to people who are thinking about retirement.

My business is about 80% annuities, and 20% life insurance.

I did $7.5M in sales last year, I service close to 1,000 people... because I've been doing this in Arizona now for 7.5 years.

I help people every single day, I approach the job as an educational experience... not as a sales pitch... so people respond well to it, and I never lose sleep at night.

I love my job, doubtful I'll ever quit, unless the government forces our industry to do things I don't agree with.

I'm 100% commissioned, so I have the hours I want. I'm w-2'ed so I have next to no risk, as long as I can get in front of people.

Annuities are very good for retirees, so it's not a hard job... the harder part is just doing a good job of explaining how they work, and giving people exceptional service.

Only big con is benefits are so-so, mostly with no current retirement program for myself. Fortunately I happen to be well educated on some options in that arena... lol.

Last edited by Ricerking13; 2016-03-16 at 04:46 PM..
Ricerking13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2016-03-16, 05:00 PM   #11
69Mach351

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by snm95ls View Post
Title: Manufacturing Process Engineer - Aluminum Machining Group

I am responsible for all of the machining lines (~39 machining centers) that make one of the six major parts made in house for a Japanese owned general purpose engine manufacturer.

Job duties include but are not limited to:
-CNC programming for all NC machines in my area
-setup for mass production (new models, additional variants, line moves, machine replacement)
-continuous improvement for quality, cost reduction, and cycle time reduction
-jig and fixture design for machining processes as well as QC checks related to the machining process
-tooling selection, design, optimization and setup.
-responsible for creating and maintaining all engineering documents related to my area (work instructions, tooling lists, part drawings)
-daily problem solving related to the machining process which may affect or be affected by other departments.

Pros:
-I have an incredible amount of freedom with this position which is actually a huge bonus.
-I do actually really enjoy what I do especially when we are busy.
-I do get a lot of opportunities to try new things to improve the processes.
-I have learned a hell of a lot about mass production machining.
-The work environment is actually pretty laid back even though we have some strict policies that are IMO outdated.

We won't get into the cons.

Is that in KC? I may be able to throw some work your way every once in awhile. Got a website?
69Mach351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2016-03-16, 05:00 PM   #12
Keboh

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 207
Thanks (Received): 250
Likes (Given): 2464
Likes (Received): 1651
Dislikes (Given): 24
Dislikes (Received): 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by MymonteSS View Post
Lead field Technician, cell phone tower equipment. Mostly Sprint/ericsson
Thank the telecom gods you aren't working on Alcatel equipment.
Keboh is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 2016-03-16, 05:13 PM   #13
snm95ls

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 394
Thanks (Received): 349
Likes (Given): 3562
Likes (Received): 2052
Dislikes (Given): 64
Dislikes (Received): 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Mach351 View Post
Is that in KC? I may be able to throw some work your way every once in awhile. Got a website?
Not in KC, and I work for the engine manufacturer. I guess that wasn't very clear by the way I worded that post.

I would love to have my own facility some day and do this kind of thing as a vendor. There are so many inefficiencies that could be overcome, but then you have to deal with all of the negatives that come with supplying an OEM as a vendor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson
...Because I live on a balanced diet, I have a balanced mind, and as a result I know that animals are like people. Some are for looking at. Some are for loving. Some are for riding. And some need to be shot because they’re a bloody nuisance.
snm95ls is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2016-03-16, 05:55 PM   #14
ForcFed93

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 16
Thanks (Received): 93
Likes (Given): 332
Likes (Received): 657
Dislikes (Given): 2
Dislikes (Received): 29

Environmental Scientist/Health Physicist with an agency I shall not name.

My primary duty is Radiological Emergency Preparedness. Focusing mostly on nuclear power plant accident response.

I can do a variety of activities from participating in (radiation) dose assessment, plume projection modeling, both by hand calculations and software, to actually participating on field monitoring teams to collect environmental samples.

My work is mostly planning activities and participating in drills performing the aforementioned duties. Some of the duties are very heavy in mathematics/calculus. I also help write and vet emergency response plans. I also can and do teach first responders and medical personnel biological effects of radiation and how to handle a potentially contaminated person.

Some particular interesting facets of my job include the fact that I've met the last 3 governors of Kansas, testified in front of legislative committees on behalf of potential rule making and I've served as a subject matter expert on Federal level improvised nuclear device response planning activities.

I've been with the agency for about 8 years now.

Last edited by ForcFed93; 2016-03-16 at 06:05 PM..
ForcFed93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2016-03-16, 09:50 PM   #15
chaseme

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 31
Thanks (Received): 18
Likes (Given): 130
Likes (Received): 97
Dislikes (Given): 1
Dislikes (Received): 2

Head of Creative for a Reactor // Design Studio

Classic intern/first employee story. Coming up on 10 years here.

I love the flexibility and "voice" that I have had since day one in everything we do. We do good work for all sorts of different types of companies from one-off gala invitations to huge conference branding/signage/social/etc. Something new every day.
Unread 2016-03-16, 09:52 PM   #16
beaterKU

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 122
Thanks (Received): 17
Likes (Given): 16
Likes (Received): 94

I am a structural engineer and own my own company. We design and build conveyors for gold and copper mines, primarily in Mexico and Central America. We did have two jobs last year in the US (amazingly hard to get permits in the US due to the current administration). A typical mine can run between $500 million to well over $3 billion. I have been doing this for 12 years now.

I also own part of a small tech startup that is in the automotive industry. It is still getting traction but looking up. One of our partners recently sold one of his startups to an auto manufacturer (we've hit the lotto with him in the sense he knows how to make things happen). I have been involved for 4 years now.

I also have been kicking around the idea of building houses. I come from a line of builders. My great grandfather, grandfather and uncle all built/build homes. Just never really had the time to get into it.
Unread 2016-03-16, 10:01 PM   #17
Scooby24
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

You should definitely be a builder.
Unread 2016-03-16, 10:26 PM   #18
95PreludeSE

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 33
Thanks (Received): 65
Likes (Given): 100
Likes (Received): 327
Dislikes (Given): 8
Dislikes (Received): 5

Instrumentation and Controls Engineer, in the power industry. I design control systems for power plants, specify instruments and supporting systems, program logic and protection controls, oversee new plant startups and performance tuning. It's a lot of work, but seeing billion dollar power plants go from a few pages of signed contract and an empty field, to drawings, to commercially operational is an awesomely rewarding experience.
95PreludeSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2016-03-16, 10:53 PM   #19
Mike V

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 40
Thanks (Received): 80
Likes (Given): 411
Likes (Received): 401
Dislikes (Received): 10

Retired Air Force (2010) in Munitions. Now doing the same thing as a federal civilian employee but on a much smaller scale. We don't have aircraft to support here but we still requisition, inspect, maintain and issue all explosive items on base, including small arms.

This was my first base back in 91. Met my wife here, so that's why we're back since I retired from active duty. Not a bad gig but it's still weird to see the change with this base. Back then, we were building bombs for the B-1's and the munitions storage area had 200 people working inside the fence. Now it's just us 5 civilians.
Mike V is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2016-03-16, 11:51 PM   #20
The Lox

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 39
Thanks (Received): 131
Likes (Given): 181
Likes (Received): 946
Dislikes (Given): 5
Dislikes (Received): 34

Vice President, Strategic Relationship Management.

I have about 15 clients for whom my firm administers the company's 401(k) Plan.

My primary role is to make sure that we are delivering on the products and services that we offer for our clients. This is done primarily by working with internal service teams to make sure we are administering the clients' plan correctly. I meet with my clients regularly and present them material on how the plan is doing in areas of participation, employee engagement and that sort of thing. I also meet regularly with advisors and consultants to help them develop solutions for our mutual clients.

A handful of times a year I also participate in the sales process by doing finals presentations with clients and advisors.

The thing I like most about my job is using my experience having worked on all sides of my business to best help my clients and my advisors. I have been in both of their jobs and I can relate to them really well and provide experiences and things I have done in the past to help them better their business.

I also get to work out of my house, for the first time in my career and this has changed my life. I work pretty much whatever hours I need to work, and when I am not working I am doing whatever I need to do with my day and my life. I keep my kid home from school on light days and build my relationship with him. Some days I go hit golfballs over lunch or go run errands. As long as I have my phone and company Ipad, I can do my job, so really, I am working most all of the time.
Unread 2016-03-17, 09:09 AM   #21
freekwonder
Guinness Master

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 42
Thanks (Received): 110
Likes (Given): 655
Likes (Received): 783
Dislikes (Given): 8
Dislikes (Received): 16

Network Security Analyst for a school district servicing about 30,000 students.

Deal with the security side of the network to an extent. Application security for our pay and student services applications. Account creation, exchange, 0365, AD, and firewall management. A bit of forensics on the machines of people who do bad things. Not much, if it's a fire-able offense we can handle it. If it's a bigger criminal case, we pass it off to the Police.

Help out a little with the installation of some hardware, but not much. We spent a few years going through and installing wireless throughout our schools. Assist the network/server guys when they need me.
freekwonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2016-03-17, 09:45 AM   #22
xXSTi-lynXx

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 212
Thanks (Received): 133
Likes (Given): 1180
Likes (Received): 988
Dislikes (Given): 67
Dislikes (Received): 81

Accounts payable/ receivable for a home building and development company. I pretty much live on Quickbooks.

2005 AW STi Stage 2 w/ E85 -324whp 378wft/lbs - Casper
2002 Toyota tacoma TRD
xXSTi-lynXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2016-03-17, 10:40 AM   #23
BrixDaddy

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 18
Thanks (Received): 25
Likes (Given): 134
Likes (Received): 137

Commercial Project Manager for Sprint.

Up until about two months ago I was replacing critical assets (generator, chiller, UPS, RTUs, fire suppression) at Call Centers, Labs and Data Centers.

Now i'm doing regional president office buildouts, office refresh, sales office moves/decoms. It's a lot less stressful.

Been here for a bit over 3 years.

Cooperate life blows.
Unread 2016-03-17, 11:35 AM   #24
LSCobra

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 43
Thanks (Received): 61
Likes (Given): 613
Likes (Received): 474
Dislikes (Given): 11
Dislikes (Received): 6

I herd cats.

Seriously, I manage at a good friend's restaurant. Not much explanation needed.
I have been in the service industry many years and opened up 33 stores for a casual dining chain.
Currently, I am only working part time to concentrate on my health. I am hoping to be working another part time job soon delivering car parts.
The reasoning for this is by working two part time jobs, I have scheduling flexibility and am not beholden to my employer's health plan.
I don't know what the future holds, but if things go well, I always enjoyed corporate training and coaching. I would not mind returning to that. Helping others become better teachers and leaders is very rewarding.
Unread 2016-03-17, 10:41 PM   #25
DIYAutoRepair
**Sponsor**

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 25
Thanks (Received): 192
Likes (Given): 71
Likes (Received): 1304
Dislikes (Received): 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrixDaddy View Post
Commercial Project Manager for Sprint.

Up until about two months ago I was replacing critical assets (generator, chiller, UPS, RTUs, fire suppression) at Call Centers, Labs and Data Centers.

Now i'm doing regional president office buildouts, office refresh, sales office moves/decoms. It's a lot less stressful.

Been here for a bit over 3 years.

Cooperate life blows.
When I was with Sprint (9yrs), I used to work with that group.
Visit us at http://diyautorepairkc.com/
or call (913) 226-3806

Favorite car from the past (73 Pinto)
DIYAutoRepair is offline   Reply With Quote