Mirror Finish Polishing ~ 1-816-529-6089 ~ sales@mirrorfinishpolishing.com ~ mirrorfinishpolishing.com For the best rate on home, auto, life or business/commercial insurance call me at 888-959-0955, cell 636-734-1310 or bricehazelwood@weiss-ins.com. Never Done Garage - donewhenimdead.com Peerless Automotive Reconditioning - 1155 W. Dennis Ave, Olathe Ks, 66061 - 913-893-1201 Mark H. Epstein ~ The Epstein Law Firm, LLC ~ 913-396-5123 Wilkes Automotive ~ wilkesautomotive.com ~ 246 Marion St, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ 913-254-7171 Skandalous Inc ~ www.skandalousinc.com DIY Auto Repair Inc ~ www.diyautorepairkc.com ~ 11509 Strangline Rd, Olathe KS 66062 ~ 913-226-3806 Your advertisement here! The Law Offices of Jeremiah Johnson, LLC ~ 104 E. Poplar, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ (913)764-5010 ~ www.kcatty.com - www.johnsoncountydui.com ~ jeremiah@kcatty.com Santa Fe Body, Inc ~ 8717 Lenexa Drive, Overland Park, KS 66214 ~ (913) 894-6090 House of Boost LLC Nude? HouseofHID.com - The #1 source for HID The Print Shop KC 816.200.6694 or Ryan@RMD-Photography.com the art of tyleR ~ http://tyleR.bigcartel.com ~ TYLERcoey.com ~ MUTTtoy.com ~ MUTTtoy@gmail.com W-K Chevrolet Buick Pontiac Cadillac GMC ~ 3310 W. Broadway, Sedalia, MO 65301 ~ 800-382-5088 ~ Cell 660-553-8928 ~ dustin@wkchevy.com ~ www.wkchevy.com

Go Back   KCSR - THE Kansas City Forum > General Forums > Fitness and Health

Reply
Thread Tools
Unread 2012-07-17, 01:29 PM   #1
Ebanks
 
Ebanks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Winter Park, CO
Posts: 10,947
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 94
Thanks (Received): 80
Likes (Given): 137
Likes (Received): 583
Dislikes (Given): 6
Dislikes (Received): 5
Default People who understand glucose/insulin/etc.

Every morning for breakfast I make a smoothie out of 2 cups of strawberries, 1 cup of mixed berries that includes blackberries, raspberries, and blueberries, 1-2 cups of coconut milk, and a scoop of protein powder.

To me this has always seemed like a pretty healthy breakfast, especially because I hate eggs in basically any form and most other breakfast foods are bad for you.

Recently I had someone tell me that it probably wasn't the best idea to ingest so much fruit/sugar all in one setting as it relates to blood sugar spike/insulin levels/etc. To be honest I don't know much (read: anything) about that, so thought I would throw that question out there.

Is there a better time of day to drink a smoothie like this, OR in general is there no good time to do so, OR is it totally fine and this person was completely wrong?

This is also what I normally make for a post workout drink as well.
Ebanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2012-07-17, 01:41 PM   #2
Billy Mild
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Pevely, MO
Posts: 6,132
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 119
Thanks (Received): 74
Likes (Given): 2591
Likes (Received): 591
Dislikes (Given): 85
Dislikes (Received): 33
Default

All that in one little smoothie has got to be a lot of carbs. That will cause your blood sugar to spike. Since they are pretty simple sugars I would say it would start to raise your blood sugar in about 15 minutes. The good thing is that you at least put some protein in it. Protein, fiber, and fat will slow down the digestion of carbs/sugar. So that is good you have the protein powder in there. Any idea how much protein it has in it?

From the looks of it I would assume that has at least 60 carbs from just the fruit. If you use no sugar added fruits it may have less. A normal 12 ounce soda has 44-50 carbs. So if you put it that way yes this does have a lot of carbs. Are you diabetic? If not then this shouldn't be a huge deal. If you were Type 2 diabetic and were not on insulin then it would not be recommended at all.

Post workout it wouldn't be a bad idea IMO since it would get the insulin pumping to help deliver nutrients to the rest of your body. Insulin spikes after working out are good. The insulin helps the rebuilding process.
__________________
1991 Corvette ZR-1 #1599 of 2,044 airlid mod
2016 RAM 1500-Roll coal
1986 Yamaha RZ350-blown up
1971 Yamaha AT1c-In the middle of restoration
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 0 Likes, 1 Dislikes
Dislikes Sylva disliked this post
Billy Mild is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2012-07-17, 01:46 PM   #3
Sylva
Harry Potter
 
Sylva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: H-Town, Third ward.
Posts: 18,897
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 142
Thanks (Received): 328
Likes (Given): 1573
Likes (Received): 1974
Dislikes (Given): 60
Dislikes (Received): 19
Default

honestly, throw a scoop or two of protein and a TBSP of flax seeds in and you'd be golden Ethan. Don't get too caught up in the little things.

IMO(from many things i've seen) you could use fruit as your only carb source and you would see many benefits with no negatives(from what I'VE seen)
__________________
Downsouth we still be bangin' Robert Davis on the regular...

www.truenutrition.com discount code rys241 for 5% off all orders!
Sylva is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2012-07-17, 01:47 PM   #4
Ebanks
 
Ebanks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Winter Park, CO
Posts: 10,947
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 94
Thanks (Received): 80
Likes (Given): 137
Likes (Received): 583
Dislikes (Given): 6
Dislikes (Received): 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Mild View Post
All that in one little smoothie has got to be a lot of carbs. That will cause your blood sugar to spike. Since they are pretty simple sugars I would say it would start to raise your blood sugar in about 15 minutes. The good thing is that you at least put some protein in it. Protein, fiber, and fat will slow down the digestion of carbs/sugar. So that is good you have the protein powder in there. Any idea how much protein it has in it?

From the looks of it I would assume that has at least 60 carbs from just the fruit. If you use no sugar added fruits it may have less. A normal 12 ounce soda has 44-50 carbs. So if you put it that way yes this does have a lot of carbs. Are you diabetic? If not then this shouldn't be a huge deal. If you were Type 2 diabetic and were not on insulin then it would not be recommended at all.

Post workout it wouldn't be a bad idea IMO since it would get the insulin pumping to help deliver nutrients to the rest of your body. Insulin spikes after working out are good. The insulin helps the rebuilding process.
Nope, I'm not diabetic. 27g of protein is what's in the scoop of protein currently (using the true protein whey right now). I knew it was high in sugar obviously, but thought that wasn't that huge a deal since nothing in it is processed sugar or additives.
Ebanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2012-07-17, 01:48 PM   #5
Ebanks
 
Ebanks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Winter Park, CO
Posts: 10,947
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 94
Thanks (Received): 80
Likes (Given): 137
Likes (Received): 583
Dislikes (Given): 6
Dislikes (Received): 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylva View Post
honestly, throw a scoop or two of protein and a TBSP of flax seeds in and you'd be golden Ethan. Don't get too caught up in the little things.

IMO(from many things i've seen) you could use fruit as your only carb source and you would see many benefits with no negatives(from what I'VE seen)
Awesome, thanks!
Ebanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2012-07-17, 04:57 PM   #6
Billy Mild
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Pevely, MO
Posts: 6,132
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 119
Thanks (Received): 74
Likes (Given): 2591
Likes (Received): 591
Dislikes (Given): 85
Dislikes (Received): 33
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebanks View Post
Nope, I'm not diabetic. 27g of protein is what's in the scoop of protein currently (using the true protein whey right now). I knew it was high in sugar obviously, but thought that wasn't that huge a deal since nothing in it is processed sugar or additives.
It isn't just high in sugar, its high in carbs. 27 grams of protein should help limit the insulin spike. It might take 30-45 minutes to start absorbing vs. the normal 5 minutes it would shoot straight up. Flax seed is great too because it has 7 grams of carbs, but 6 of that is straight fiber. Which is really good for you. Helps clean you out if you catch my drift.

Another thing to keep in mind with protein intake is that you can only absorb 30 grams or protein every 3 hours. At least that is what every nutritionist I have seen over the years has told me.
__________________
1991 Corvette ZR-1 #1599 of 2,044 airlid mod
2016 RAM 1500-Roll coal
1986 Yamaha RZ350-blown up
1971 Yamaha AT1c-In the middle of restoration
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 0 Likes, 1 Dislikes
Dislikes Sylva disliked this post
Billy Mild is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2012-07-17, 06:42 PM   #7
Sylva
Harry Potter
 
Sylva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: H-Town, Third ward.
Posts: 18,897
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 142
Thanks (Received): 328
Likes (Given): 1573
Likes (Received): 1974
Dislikes (Given): 60
Dislikes (Received): 19
Default

dude....billy....just stop. fuck....i thought i taught you guys better than this.

smh

the protein thing is bullshit(been proven)

and carbs thing, how can you say that, you have NO clue, you haven't asked him shit about HIM.

Ebanks, keep on rollin bro. maybe just add in the things i suggested.
__________________
Downsouth we still be bangin' Robert Davis on the regular...

www.truenutrition.com discount code rys241 for 5% off all orders!
Sylva is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2012-07-17, 07:57 PM   #8
Ebanks
 
Ebanks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Winter Park, CO
Posts: 10,947
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 94
Thanks (Received): 80
Likes (Given): 137
Likes (Received): 583
Dislikes (Given): 6
Dislikes (Received): 5
Default

Ummm... WTF? How did that semi get above my avatar? Lol
Ebanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2012-07-17, 08:46 PM   #9
Ebanks
 
Ebanks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Winter Park, CO
Posts: 10,947
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 94
Thanks (Received): 80
Likes (Given): 137
Likes (Received): 583
Dislikes (Given): 6
Dislikes (Received): 5
Default

Annnnd, now it's gone. Weird.
Ebanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

 

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:38 AM.


Design By: Miner Skinz.com
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.13.37
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright (c) 1993-2012, KCSR.org