Mirror Finish Polishing ~ 1-816-529-6089 ~ sales@mirrorfinishpolishing.com ~ mirrorfinishpolishing.com For the best rate on home, auto, life or business/commercial insurance call me at 888-959-0955, cell 636-734-1310 or bricehazelwood@weiss-ins.com. Never Done Garage - donewhenimdead.com Peerless Automotive Reconditioning - 1155 W. Dennis Ave, Olathe Ks, 66061 - 913-893-1201 Mark H. Epstein ~ The Epstein Law Firm, LLC ~ 913-396-5123 Wilkes Automotive ~ wilkesautomotive.com ~ 246 Marion St, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ 913-254-7171 Skandalous Inc ~ www.skandalousinc.com DIY Auto Repair Inc ~ www.diyautorepairkc.com ~ 11509 Strangline Rd, Olathe KS 66062 ~ 913-226-3806 Your advertisement here! The Law Offices of Jeremiah Johnson, LLC ~ 104 E. Poplar, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ (913)764-5010 ~ www.kcatty.com - www.johnsoncountydui.com ~ jeremiah@kcatty.com Santa Fe Body, Inc ~ 8717 Lenexa Drive, Overland Park, KS 66214 ~ (913) 894-6090 House of Boost LLC Nude? HouseofHID.com - The #1 source for HID The Print Shop KC 816.200.6694 or Ryan@RMD-Photography.com the art of tyleR ~ http://tyleR.bigcartel.com ~ TYLERcoey.com ~ MUTTtoy.com ~ MUTTtoy@gmail.com W-K Chevrolet Buick Pontiac Cadillac GMC ~ 3310 W. Broadway, Sedalia, MO 65301 ~ 800-382-5088 ~ Cell 660-553-8928 ~ dustin@wkchevy.com ~ www.wkchevy.com

Go Back   KCSR - THE Kansas City Forum > General Forums > (Almost) Anything Goes

Unread 2017-10-10, 10:37 AM   #101
Dave B

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 15
Thanks (Received): 133
Likes (Given): 24
Likes (Received): 998
Dislikes (Given): 4
Dislikes (Received): 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oblique View Post
Pretty much. As long as it makes money, most people are always willing to look the other direction especially when it comes to athletes.
Dave B is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-10-10, 10:48 AM   #102
Squeaky192

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 260
Thanks (Received): 177
Likes (Given): 2785
Likes (Received): 1318
Dislikes (Given): 141
Dislikes (Received): 64

I do love the mentality of "they make millions and need to shut up and just play."

Many athletes are the ones fortunate enough to get out of rough situations, and are trying to bring light to the issues they dealt with for those who aren't as fortunate. I don't see why people have such a hard time seeing that.

1998 Volvo V70 - I can't get away from them.
1971 Camaro Z28 RS - "Barn Find" -LS/4L80/Strange 9" Restomod Beater
2012 Triumph Speed Triple R - Trouble Maker
Squeaky192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-10-10, 11:27 AM   #103
Keboh

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 207
Thanks (Received): 252
Likes (Given): 2471
Likes (Received): 1665
Dislikes (Given): 24
Dislikes (Received): 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeaky192 View Post
I do love the mentality of "they make millions and need to shut up and just play."

Many athletes are the ones fortunate enough to get out of rough situations, and are trying to bring light to the issues they dealt with for those who aren't as fortunate. I don't see why people have such a hard time seeing that.
Because nationalism is blinding.
Keboh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-10-10, 02:46 PM   #104
Karlen

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 887
Thanks (Received): 482
Likes (Given): 4078
Likes (Received): 4368
Dislikes (Given): 99
Dislikes (Received): 168

Quote:
Originally Posted by realdiehl View Post
And if anyone doesn't like it, they have to deal with the crowbar compadre.
Ddddddaaaaaaaavvvviiiiissssssssssss!
Karlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-10-10, 04:01 PM   #105
Dave B

Post Thanks / Like

The NFL will soon be exploring a way to address the national anthem matter. Jerry Jones is saying his players must stand or they'll get benched based on his interpretation of the NFL handbook which says players "should" stand for the national anthem. No where does it say they are required to. Jerry (and the NFL) will soon find out that it's the players that are making him and the league the money and the players ultimately have the control, not him.
Unread 2017-10-10, 04:05 PM   #106
Keboh

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave B View Post
The NFL will soon be exploring a way to address the national anthem matter. Jerry Jones is saying his players must stand or they'll get benched based on his interpretation of the NFL handbook which says players "should" stand for the national anthem. No where does it say they are required to. Jerry (and the NFL) will soon find out that it's the players that are making him and the league the money and the players ultimately have the control, not him.
I am curious what players will decide to tow the line and which will defy ol' Jerry.
Unread 2017-10-10, 04:17 PM   #107
DIYAutoRepair
**Sponsor**

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 25
Thanks (Received): 192
Likes (Given): 71
Likes (Received): 1308
Dislikes (Given): 1
Dislikes (Received): 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keboh View Post
I am curious what players will decide to tow the line and which will defy ol' Jerry.
I'm curious to see how much money the NFL is willing to lose due to people not watching the game because of the sitting/kneeling.
Visit us at http://diyautorepairkc.com/
or call (913) 226-3806

Favorite car from the past (73 Pinto)
DIYAutoRepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-10-10, 04:37 PM   #108
phreakdna

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 156
Thanks (Received): 112
Likes (Given): 372
Likes (Received): 625
Dislikes (Given): 8
Dislikes (Received): 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIYAutoRepair View Post
I'm curious to see how much money the NFL is willing to lose due to people not watching the game because of the sitting/kneeling.
the NFL has TV contracts through 2021-2022. they aren't affected monetarily by a small group of uber "patriots" averting their eyes...
Hamilton on requiring Congressional supermajorities "...its real operation is to embarrass the administration, to destroy the energy of government, and to substitute the pleasure, caprice, or artifices of an insignificant, turbulent or corrupt junto, to the regular deliberations and decisions of a respectable majority." - Federalist No. 22
phreakdna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-10-10, 04:40 PM   #109
Squeaky192

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 260
Thanks (Received): 177
Likes (Given): 2785
Likes (Received): 1318
Dislikes (Given): 141
Dislikes (Received): 64

Quote:
I don't think you and other's so avidly against it realize how many people don't give a fuck and are still watching.

1998 Volvo V70 - I can't get away from them.
1971 Camaro Z28 RS - "Barn Find" -LS/4L80/Strange 9" Restomod Beater
2012 Triumph Speed Triple R - Trouble Maker
Squeaky192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-10-10, 04:55 PM   #110
torqueburner

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 91
Thanks (Received): 17
Likes (Given): 362
Likes (Received): 211
Dislikes (Given): 15
Dislikes (Received): 3

Quote:
I'm undecided how I feel about it.

It's a very fine balance between the two. On one hand you're right, the players make the game, but the players aren't there JUST because they love the game. They also like getting paid fat contracts. That's where the league/owners can have equal pull over them.
"Ok, you don't want to stand"?
"Then how about we fine you or perhaps not give you AS fat of a contract"... I'm speaking hypothetically, but who knows how far this will go...

Street & Racing Technology
torqueburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-10-10, 04:59 PM   #111
scoobsmcdoobs

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 86
Thanks (Received): 11
Likes (Given): 149
Likes (Received): 55
Dislikes (Given): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by maynardDRIVESfast View Post
Yes. My grandmother (who was born a Lee) has the family tree and supporting documents. I've sent her an email to see if she can send me some digital copies.
Wow, that would be very interesting if you were able to prove that - so interesting
Unread 2017-10-10, 05:20 PM   #112
Dave B

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
The NFL has been loosing viewership for years due to many things including safety (i.e., well documented brain injuries), denial (see brain injuries), lack of younger kids not playing football (see brain injuries), Trump (brain injury), and it's f-ing boring to watch and it's unsafe as well. And this is coming directly from someone that played football from 8th grade to 12th grade. LOL.
Unread 2017-10-11, 10:34 AM   #113
maynardDRIVESfast

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 40
Thanks (Received): 44
Likes (Given): 68
Likes (Received): 269

Quote:
The NFL has been loosing viewership for years due to many things including safety (i.e., well documented brain injuries), denial (see brain injuries), lack of younger kids not playing football (see brain injuries), Trump (brain injury), and it's f-ing boring to watch and it's unsafe as well. And this is coming directly from someone that played football from 8th grade to 12th grade. LOL.
Well if you're a conspiracy theorist, then you might say this whole national anthem debacle was engineered to take the focus off of the CTE scandal.
Unread 2017-10-11, 11:05 AM   #114
mild83

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 925
Thanks (Received): 335
Likes (Given): 6333
Likes (Received): 2729
Dislikes (Given): 128
Dislikes (Received): 131

NFL is reeling this year.

And for those saying it's not effecting the bottom line, that's just untrue. Sponsors pay less when the product is not hitting as many eyes. The NFL has already lost hundreds of millions in the first quarter of the season, attributed to the steep decline in viewership.
mild83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-10-11, 11:39 AM   #115
Keboh

Post Thanks / Like

The NFL has been declining in viewership for years:

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/nfl-...ason-playoffs/

They've been declining on average 8% a year, which is roughly where this year is at from last year.

Could the cause be players kneeling? Sure. But statistics would have estimated that this drop in viewership would have happened anyways.
Unread 2017-10-12, 06:48 PM   #116
Keboh

Post Thanks / Like

http://taskandpurpose.com/president-...olors-started/

Seems as though Trump doesn't respect the flag or military tradition.. hmm.
Unread 2017-10-12, 07:27 PM   #117
Ricerking13

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:

Yeah worse than any perceived hypocrisy (which isn't too hard to see), is he doesn't even know the song. The leader of our military doesn't know what that song is.

I didn't... but I'm a civilian that typed soldiers when referring to sailors. The Commander-in-chief doesn't know what it is? Wow.

Trump sucks so bad, as a person for sure... and so far as a President.
Unread 2017-10-12, 08:18 PM   #118
Oblique

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 39
Thanks (Received): 127
Likes (Given): 157
Likes (Received): 744

Quote:

Wheres DIY to explain why this isn't a big deal?
Unread 2017-10-13, 08:27 AM   #119
Keboh

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricerking13 View Post
Yeah worse than any perceived hypocrisy (which isn't too hard to see), is he doesn't even know the song. The leader of our military doesn't know what that song is.

I didn't... but I'm a civilian that typed soldiers when referring to sailors. The Commander-in-chief doesn't know what it is? Wow.

Trump sucks so bad, as a person for sure... and so far as a President.
My dad grew up on bases, my uncle was in the military. They've told me how people used to try to RUSH off base after their shift to beat Retreat so they didn't get stopped by it . From what they've said, it's mandatory that if it starts playing and you're on base, even if you're driving a car, you need to stop, get out, stand, take your hat off, and place your hand over your heart until it's over.

They definitely weren't playing it for Sean Hannity's ratings. They were playing it because it's a centuries (plural) old tradition and is done for one purpose: secure the flag and respect what it stands for.

In Trumps own words, 'someone should fire that son of a bitch'.
Unread 2017-10-13, 08:36 AM   #120
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
My dad grew up on bases, my uncle was in the military. They've told me how people used to try to RUSH off base after their shift to beat Retreat so they didn't get stopped by it . From what they've said, it's mandatory that if it starts playing and you're on base, even if you're driving a car, you need to stop, get out, stand, take your hat off, and place your hand over your heart until it's over.

They definitely weren't playing it for Sean Hannity's ratings. They were playing it because it's a centuries (plural) old tradition and is done for one purpose: secure the flag and respect what it stands for.

There are 3

Reveille, Retreat and then Taps

There were/are people that tried to avoid it, that was on them, you always stop, face the flag render a salute and go on about your day/evening.

AW|E90|ZSP|ZPP|2XA|NAV|HID| ///M | BMS |JB4 | VRSF

Post Thanks / Like - 2 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks mild83, Keboh thanked for this post
JDLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-10-13, 10:48 AM   #121
Ricerking13

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:

Again, I knew none of this... but regardless... for those that think it's no biggie... incredible video, from a man I miss incredibly...

Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly.

Video URL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QD9QAAEfQEA
Ricerking13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-10-13, 06:42 PM   #122
Zetex

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 11
Dislikes (Given): 0
Dislikes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForcFed93 View Post
People can and should be able to choose who they give their respect to for any number of reasons.

However, I also feel that anyone that says athletes shouldn't be allowed to engage in peaceful protest however they choose to do so are FAR more un-American than those that are protesting.

Anyone who knows anything about our country knows that it was built on the foundation of the freedom to do exactly what they're choosing to do. As far as the military is concerned, the men and women of our military are there to protect these individuals right to protest whether or not they all agree with it.
not sure if your aware but many companies ban political discussion on premises, you can do so after hours, outside of work.

These athletes are pretty much leveraging their position as an entertainer on tv, and therefore their JOB, to make a public political statement. this is why alot of people are upset and think it is wrong, they should utilize other outlets for protest, such as social media, or actually goign out with the rest of john Q public and holding up a sign( but we know they feel that John Q pub is beneath them), or they could even utilize their contacts in media to get interviews to discuss their political aspirations.

rather then show complete disrespect to many, and the country, by not standing for the anthem.

i view standing for the anthem as a symbolic respect for the countries heritage and original dream, after all, we fought off the largest military might in the world in 1776, and WON, why not be proud of that?
Unread 2017-10-14, 04:40 AM   #123
Oblique

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 39
Thanks (Received): 127
Likes (Given): 157
Likes (Received): 744

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetex View Post
not sure if your aware but many companies ban political discussion on premises, you can do so after hours, outside of work.

These athletes are pretty much leveraging their position as an entertainer on tv, and therefore their JOB, to make a public political statement. this is why alot of people are upset and think it is wrong, they should utilize other outlets for protest, such as social media, or actually goign out with the rest of john Q public and holding up a sign( but we know they feel that John Q pub is beneath them), or they could even utilize their contacts in media to get interviews to discuss their political aspirations.

rather then show complete disrespect to many, and the country, by not standing for the anthem.

i view standing for the anthem as a symbolic respect for the countries heritage and original dream, after all, we fought off the largest military might in the world in 1776, and WON, why not be proud of that?
How about we stop doing the national anthem before sporting events then and bringing the military into the NFL? People say they want to separate sports and politics yet are okay with these things happening at sporting events.
Oblique is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-10-14, 05:09 PM   #124
bimmertech

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 26
Thanks (Received): 42
Likes (Given): 71
Likes (Received): 208
Dislikes (Given): 2

Quote:
How about we stop doing the national anthem before sporting events then and bringing the military into the NFL? People say they want to separate sports and politics yet are okay with these things happening at sporting events.
speaking to the nfl only, they will never have a seperation as long as the military is a paying sponsor. i agree though, the national anthem before a sporting event is pretty weird. i can see playing it when it is team usa, but that's about it.

the real question is, when will old donny pull the tax exempt status from the nfl?
bimmertech is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-10-14, 09:10 PM   #125
Zetex

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 11
Dislikes (Given): 0
Dislikes (Received): 1

Quote:
meh, i would say OK go ahead, but it is an already entrenched tradition, and i do not know why so i would have to search as to how it started and why before i actually said fine go ahead.

however doing so would also provide many with essentially what they want anyway for the whole "pro-protesting at a game by players" bit.

besides, the playing of the national anthem isn't actually a political event, it is an ALLEGIANT event with no real political leanings. the protesting is political, but all sides, generally, stand and pay respects, at least they do if your not a player, but a member of the audience.
Zetex is offline   Reply With Quote