Mirror Finish Polishing ~ 1-816-529-6089 ~ sales@mirrorfinishpolishing.com ~ mirrorfinishpolishing.com For the best rate on home, auto, life or business/commercial insurance call me at 888-959-0955, cell 636-734-1310 or bricehazelwood@weiss-ins.com. Never Done Garage - donewhenimdead.com Peerless Automotive Reconditioning - 1155 W. Dennis Ave, Olathe Ks, 66061 - 913-893-1201 Mark H. Epstein ~ The Epstein Law Firm, LLC ~ 913-396-5123 Wilkes Automotive ~ wilkesautomotive.com ~ 246 Marion St, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ 913-254-7171 Skandalous Inc ~ www.skandalousinc.com DIY Auto Repair Inc ~ www.diyautorepairkc.com ~ 11509 Strangline Rd, Olathe KS 66062 ~ 913-226-3806 Your advertisement here! The Law Offices of Jeremiah Johnson, LLC ~ 104 E. Poplar, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ (913)764-5010 ~ www.kcatty.com - www.johnsoncountydui.com ~ jeremiah@kcatty.com Santa Fe Body, Inc ~ 8717 Lenexa Drive, Overland Park, KS 66214 ~ (913) 894-6090 House of Boost LLC Nude? HouseofHID.com - The #1 source for HID The Print Shop KC 816.200.6694 or Ryan@RMD-Photography.com the art of tyleR ~ http://tyleR.bigcartel.com ~ TYLERcoey.com ~ MUTTtoy.com ~ MUTTtoy@gmail.com W-K Chevrolet Buick Pontiac Cadillac GMC ~ 3310 W. Broadway, Sedalia, MO 65301 ~ 800-382-5088 ~ Cell 660-553-8928 ~ dustin@wkchevy.com ~ www.wkchevy.com

Go Back   KCSR - THE Kansas City Forum > General Forums > Careers, Colleges, Jobs

Unread 2017-05-24, 09:25 AM   #1
ctprelude

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 24
Likes (Given): 3
Likes (Received): 166
Dislikes (Given): 1
Dislikes (Received): 9
Default Help Finding My Dad a Job - Retired Airline Pilot

My dad is in his upper 60's and a retired commercial and private airline pilot. Due to a divorce that ended badly for him, he's needing to find a full time job. Outside of some retail jobs when he was young, he's always been in the airline business, from pilot to some experience as Chief Pilot and Director of Flight Operations. The downside is he has no college degree and has no specific expertise outside of flying. Below are some things that won't work for him.

-He's older and not in amazing shape, so no manual labor.
-He can do the very basics with a computer, but nothing that requires intermediate level or above technological skills.
-He is somewhat prideful and really not wanting to work with lower cuff type individuals that don't look or act professional. Example: Tried out working in an Amazon warehouse and quit during training due to this.
-He preferably doesn't want to deal with the average joe customer in a day to day retail setting doing sales or similar.

Does anyone have any leads to make in the $30K+ range that would sound like an ok fit? He realizes without a degree and any specific experience outside of flying that he's limited pay wise, but I have to think there is something out there decent for him.
Unread 2017-05-24, 09:33 AM   #2
Lazarus

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 31
Likes (Received): 26
Dislikes (Received): 0

Any flight training jobs around the area?
Lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-05-24, 09:41 AM   #3
mild83

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 923
Thanks (Received): 333
Likes (Given): 6311
Likes (Received): 2719
Dislikes (Given): 128
Dislikes (Received): 131

He should look at working as an inside insurance claim adjuster. Right up his alley.

Although anyone who thinks that highly of thrmselves usually has a hard time doing anything.
Unread 2017-05-24, 10:30 AM   #4
ctprelude

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
Any flight training jobs around the area?
I don't believe so, I'm not sure what the license/medical requirements are either there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mild83 View Post
He should look at working as an inside insurance claim adjuster. Right up his alley.

Although anyone who thinks that highly of thrmselves usually has a hard time doing anything.
Thanks, I'll check into that. I wouldn't say it's a situation of him being the typical cocky pilot that thinks they are hot chit, it's more I guess his morals and whatnot. It wasn't the work in the warehouse job that was off-putting to him, it was his coworkers having criminal histories, being crude/cussing, etc.
Unread 2017-05-24, 11:41 AM   #5
DanenGraham

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 35
Likes (Given): 33
Likes (Received): 250
Dislikes (Given): 0
Dislikes (Received): 4

Check Honeywells website. They will be hiring pretty much every position over the next couple years. Union labor, engineering techs, engineers, HR people, buyers/procurement.

Union labor jobs would start around $17/hr. Salary jobs probably around 50-60K/yr depending on experience and job.
DanenGraham is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-05-24, 11:49 AM   #6
DIYAutoRepair
**Sponsor**

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 25
Thanks (Received): 192
Likes (Given): 71
Likes (Received): 1304
Dislikes (Received): 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanenGraham View Post
Check Honeywells website. They will be hiring pretty much every position over the next couple years. Union labor, engineering techs, engineers, HR people, buyers/procurement.

Union labor jobs would start around $17/hr. Salary jobs probably around 50-60K/yr depending on experience and job.
Don't forget about Garmin.
Visit us at http://diyautorepairkc.com/
or call (913) 226-3806

Favorite car from the past (73 Pinto)
DIYAutoRepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-05-24, 12:48 PM   #7
ctprelude

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanenGraham View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIYAutoRepair View Post
Thanks guys, I'll tell him to check them both out. Problem is without a degree and not having actual prior job-related mechanical type experience, I'm not sure how much he would be qualified for. Will tell him to take a look nonetheless.
Unread 2017-05-24, 01:16 PM   #8
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIYAutoRepair View Post

yeah need a degree for a lot of the positions

AW|E90|ZSP|ZPP|2XA|NAV|HID| ///M | BMS |JB4 | VRSF

JDLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-05-24, 01:27 PM   #9
Keboh

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 207
Thanks (Received): 250
Likes (Given): 2462
Likes (Received): 1651
Dislikes (Given): 24
Dislikes (Received): 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDLM View Post
yeah need a degree for a lot of the positions
They are also very hard to get a job at because it is so competitive for applicants, from what I understand.
Keboh is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-05-26, 07:22 PM   #10
Mike V

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 40
Thanks (Received): 80
Likes (Given): 411
Likes (Received): 401
Dislikes (Given): 2
Dislikes (Received): 10

Why can't he go back to flying? Is there an age limit or something? That might be a stupid question but high 60s doesn't seem that old these days.
Mike V is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-05-27, 10:19 PM   #11
waphill

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 5
Likes (Received): 15
Dislikes (Received): 3

Have you checked at the JOCO airport? Maybe they have something he could do there and he would still be around flying.
waphill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-05-28, 04:31 PM   #12
JewelsMari

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 131
Thanks (Received): 34
Likes (Given): 701
Likes (Received): 282
Dislikes (Given): 3
Dislikes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctprelude View Post
I don't believe so, I'm not sure what the license/medical requirements are either there.

Thanks, I'll check into that. I wouldn't say it's a situation of him being the typical cocky pilot that thinks they are hot chit, it's more I guess his morals and whatnot. It wasn't the work in the warehouse job that was off-putting to him, it was his coworkers having criminal histories, being crude/cussing, etc.

I was reading an article in Psychology Today from an aviation safety expert. He was asked about changes in the industry he had seen in his lifetime. He said one of the biggest is pilots being able to admit they can be wrong. The language on the voice recorder while they're doing their pre-flight checklists. The pilot says "I'm doing this, then this, then this. You're here to correct me if I do something incorrect." They're more willing to admit they are human, and can, and will make a mistake.
Unread 2017-05-28, 04:32 PM   #13
JewelsMari

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V View Post
Why can't he go back to flying? Is there an age limit or something? That might be a stupid question but high 60s doesn't seem that old these days.
There are age restrictions, and health restrictions. They have certain physical requirements they have to pass. I don't know what they are off the top of my head.
Unread 2017-05-28, 04:34 PM   #14
JewelsMari

Post Thanks / Like

What about Inflight? I have a friend who can't fly as a pilot due to a heart condition, so he eventually went Inflight. He's now an international FA for DL. His trips are awesome. I don't think they have age restrictions. If it ends up being an ego issue, he might have a problem... but if it's just the language, disrespect, he should be okay.
Unread 2017-05-30, 01:10 PM   #15
69Mach351

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 262
Thanks (Received): 233
Likes (Given): 1786
Likes (Received): 1701
Dislikes (Given): 37
Dislikes (Received): 44

With the restrictions, he may also look with a temp agency. A lot of companies use them to "try out" people before they commit to hiring them. They should also be able to find something within his limitations. A lot of jobs start out as pretty easy work.

Also, like Mild said, I have an older neighbor and he does adjuster work as needed, that usually being 3-4 days per week.

Another option would be to look for delivery type jobs. A lot more companies, pharmacies, grocery stores, etc. are doing deliveries. It's not flying a plane, but it would be easy, quiet work and would solve the problem of him having a distaste for dealing with people a lot.

From the sounds of it, he needs to put some pride aside. You can have a "better than thou" attitude as long as you can afford to. If you are hungry, cold, and on the verge of losing what you have worked for, your attitude will be all you have left.
69Mach351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-05-30, 02:17 PM   #16
mild83

Post Thanks / Like

Oh yeah, he could possibly look into independent adjuster role.
mild83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-05-30, 02:21 PM   #17
jwdb1fish

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 32
Thanks (Received): 452
Likes (Given): 43
Likes (Received): 3855
Dislikes (Given): 7
Dislikes (Received): 123

My old man is retired and got his real estate license and sells a house here and there, and also does home appraisals to keep himself from going stir crazy.
Unread 2017-05-30, 03:37 PM   #18
mild83

Post Thanks / Like

^ that's a great idea, actually.
mild83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-06-01, 07:57 AM   #19
ctprelude

Post Thanks / Like

He's out of the flying business for good. He's past the age limit now and not sure if he could pass the physical at this point either. He also doesn't want to be traveling all the time anymore.

Like I said, it's not an issue of him thinking he's better than everyone else or anything, he just has some old fashioned high morals and doesn't like being around people that are constantly being crude and cussing and whatnot. Basically wants to be around somewhat educated people.

A courier or something similar would be really good. I'll mention the claims adjuster thing too, but sounds like you might need a license for that?
Unread 2017-06-01, 08:03 AM   #20
mild83

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctprelude View Post
He's out of the flying business for good. He's past the age limit now and not sure if he could pass the physical at this point either. He also doesn't want to be traveling all the time anymore.

Like I said, it's not an issue of him thinking he's better than everyone else or anything, he just has some old fashioned high morals and doesn't like being around people that are constantly being crude and cussing and whatnot. Basically wants to be around somewhat educated people.

A courier or something similar would be really good. I'll mention the claims adjuster thing too, but sounds like you might need a license for that?
Depends on the state where he would work. The vast majority are literally a breeze.
Unread 2017-06-02, 06:58 AM   #21
DIYAutoRepair
**Sponsor**

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 25
Thanks (Received): 192
Likes (Given): 71
Likes (Received): 1304
Dislikes (Received): 25

PM'd
Visit us at http://diyautorepairkc.com/