Mirror Finish Polishing ~ 1-816-529-6089 ~ sales@mirrorfinishpolishing.com ~ mirrorfinishpolishing.com For the best rate on home, auto, life or business/commercial insurance call me at 888-959-0955, cell 636-734-1310 or bricehazelwood@weiss-ins.com. Never Done Garage - donewhenimdead.com Peerless Automotive Reconditioning - 1155 W. Dennis Ave, Olathe Ks, 66061 - 913-893-1201 Mark H. Epstein ~ ROE & EPSTEIN, LLP ~ (816) 421-9000 Wilkes Automotive ~ wilkesautomotive.com ~ 246 Marion St, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ 913-254-7171 Skandalous Inc ~ www.skandalousinc.com DIY Auto Repair Inc ~ www.diyautorepairkc.com ~ 11509 Strangline Rd, Olathe KS 66062 ~ 913-226-3806 Your advertisement here! The Law Offices of Jeremiah Johnson, LLC ~ 104 E. Poplar, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ (913)764-5010 ~ www.kcatty.com - www.johnsoncountydui.com ~ jeremiah@kcatty.com Santa Fe Body, Inc ~ 8717 Lenexa Drive, Overland Park, KS 66214 ~ (913) 894-6090 House of Boost LLC Nude? HouseofHID.com - The #1 source for HID R|M|D Photography 816.200.6694 or Ryan@RMD-Photography.com the art of tyleR ~ http://tyleR.bigcartel.com ~ TYLERcoey.com ~ MUTTtoy.com ~ MUTTtoy@gmail.com W-K Chevrolet Buick Pontiac Cadillac GMC ~ 3310 W. Broadway, Sedalia, MO 65301 ~ 800-382-5088 ~ Cell 660-553-8928 ~ dustin@wkchevy.com ~ www.wkchevy.com

Go Back   KCSR - THE Kansas City Forum > General Forums > (Almost) Anything Goes

Old 2011-04-06, 01:18 AM   #1
cseaman

Post Thanks / Like
Default Can you negotiate for anything when renting an apt/house/loft/etc?

So I've got like 85 days left in the Army, and I'm starting school at Drury in Springfield this August. My best friend and I (he's going to MSU) have found a really, REALLY legit penthouse loft that we're looking at (and likely signing for) on Friday.

Just curious if there's anything you can negotiate in/out of the deal. I've never rented before, neither has he. For example, they offer private reserved parking in their lot (or public in a garage across the street)..would it be out of line to ask for things like this at a deal/fo free? Considering the actual unit we'd be renting is more expensive?

I dunno really. Just shoot ideas/examples of things you all have gotten away with when renting a property.

Thanks
cseaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-06, 01:21 AM   #2
Gunnar
Broseph Stalin

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 110
Thanks (Received): 126
Likes (Given): 350
Likes (Received): 800
Dislikes (Given): 6
Dislikes (Received): 17

Skinnies has negotiated rent before, and has kept them from raising it on us when we re-upped for another year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanb
Smolies, I will straight prison rape anything you drive. I don't give a fuck if its yours or not.
Gunnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-06, 01:23 AM   #3
si07zx6r

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 8
Dislikes (Given): 0
Dislikes (Received): 5

Friend of mine paid cash up front for a whole year on a loft downtown and got a month or two free
si07zx6r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-06, 01:40 AM   #4
stevo8

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 43
Thanks (Received): 81
Likes (Given): 73
Likes (Received): 699
Dislikes (Given): 15
Dislikes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by si07zx6r View Post
Friend of mine paid cash up front for a whole year on a loft downtown and got a month or two free
must be a bloxstar
stevo8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-06, 01:48 AM   #5
zef
Administrator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 206
Thanks (Received): 282
Likes (Given): 530
Likes (Received): 959
Dislikes (Received): 22

if they have some/alot of vacancies, they're more likely to throw stuff in. if they don't have any vacancies, or if they think you *really* want it, then probably nothing for free.

zef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-06, 01:50 AM   #6
evilpoptart

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 18
Thanks (Received): 75
Likes (Given): 164
Likes (Received): 425
Dislikes (Given): 5
Dislikes (Received): 15

it's always worth a shot right?
Old 2011-04-06, 04:36 AM   #7
KUweatherman
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 391
Thanks (Received): 354
Likes (Given): 4607
Likes (Received): 2026
Dislikes (Given): 114
Dislikes (Received): 171

I live by the motto: 'Worst they can say is no.' Can't hurt to ask.
Old 2011-04-06, 08:03 AM   #8
duttbart
askmehowIknow,bro!

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 29
Thanks (Received): 166
Likes (Given): 211
Likes (Received): 1305
Dislikes (Received): 18

of course!

i never take the first offer - however i'm also not offensive in my negotiations.

the current house we rent i pay $1700 / month. that's a lot of money. if i'm paying someones mortgage i better be treated as an asset.

when we found this house two years ago the only thing we didn't like was the fact that it didn't have a fence.

he told the landlord if he agreed to put up a 6 foot wooden privacy fence we would sign. he agreed. 8 weeks later we had a fence.

we're coming up on our lease renewal for the third year. i want a house with a pool. there's no way a pool will get installed but there are things i'd like changed at the current house if we do decide to stay.

the landlord has agreed to remove carpet and install tile floors, replace fridge, widen driveway, and just installed $4k brand new AC this past weekend.

the cool part about having a private landlord is that they sometimes will do what you want because it adds value to their property.

here's the house i'm looking to move into.

http://www.trulia.com/rental/photos/...Beach-FL-33441
duttbart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-06, 08:06 AM   #9
06g35meister

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 35
Thanks (Received): 63
Likes (Given): 102
Likes (Received): 382
Dislikes (Received): 14

anything and everything is negotiable. always.
06g35meister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-06, 08:19 AM   #10
P-UNIT

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 7
Likes (Received): 21
Dislikes (Given): 0
Dislikes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06g35meister View Post
anything and everything is negotiable. always.

I've found this to be true as well. Parking is a great place to negotiate when renting, otherwise paying cash up front is a good way to get a month free or whatever.

Last edited by P-UNIT; 2011-04-06 at 08:24 AM..
P-UNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-06, 09:09 AM   #11
cseaman

Post Thanks / Like

Sweet. Thanks for the input guys.

This place definitely has no issues with getting vacancies signed for, but I think I'll attempt the parking stuff and see if we can get away with it. We are broke college students, so I unfortunately doubt we can pull off the paying up front to get a month free..it'd be sweet though!
Old 2011-04-06, 09:12 AM   #12
KC_Si

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 47
Thanks (Received): 89
Likes (Given): 458
Likes (Received): 501
Dislikes (Given): 40

TECHNICALLY... due to fair housing laws... The price one person pays for a particular type of unit should be the exact same price others pay. Now this goes on a day by day basis but let's say a property was renting an apartment for 700 a month and then later in the day someone get's them to agree to rent that same style unit for just $600 a month... At that point you are legally obligated to call back everyone you've shown that same floorplan to that day and offer them that same price.

Now if you are renting a house from a private person chances are they won't be as worried about the laws and there could be some flexiblity there but any large company should know better.
Old 2011-04-06, 09:16 AM   #13
KC_Si

Post Thanks / Like

P.S. Everyone saying otherwise in this thread make me lawl.

I had this chick come in the other day and she was bitching because she said she knows other people rent the same apartment as her for less and she thinks it's bullshit.

I told her "Well to be honest there are most likely people paying more than you also" and then she went on to tell me that other people that work for the same company as her got better prices and how we should give all people of that same company the same price. I tried telling her that if someone comes in during our slow months and gets in on a better special that we can't just offer that same special a few months down the road just because someone they know got it earlier and how our specials can change on a day to day basis.

She thought when prices go down we should offer those lower prices to everyone but when I asked her if when the prices go up they should raise for everyone she just stared at me and wouldn't say anything.

Fair housing is federal laws and on top of the apartment complex getting in trouble for them the person actually breaking them can be sued in court for damages. I'm not making this shit up.
Old 2011-04-06, 09:21 AM   #14
shonuff

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 26
Thanks (Received): 28
Likes (Given): 414
Likes (Received): 188
Dislikes (Received): 2

In the past I have gotten things negotiated. Like instead of first months rent free have them take that discount and spread it across each months rent. Or another place we moved into included washer and dryer, but we already had both so we asked for them to remove them and give us a free car port.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzaisushi
I think it would suck to be a dickhead... Seriously in the dark all day, it can get kinda funky and when you do come out a fucking hand tries to choke you or your shoved into a fucking sarlacc.
shonuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-06, 11:12 AM   #15
phreakdna

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 67
Thanks (Received): 73
Likes (Given): 156
Likes (Received): 394
Dislikes (Received): 26

my last apartment before getting my house, I negotiated the rate down a bit. when they tell you 'rent is x' I generally consider it an offer. I have the ability to counteroffer, but they can tell me to fuck off and then its on me to decide if I want to pay the original offered price or keep looking.

like KC_Si mentioned, larger management companies are going to be more bound by "laws" and regulations (gov't & internal) so the reaction you'll get can vary. I've known a friend in the same building as I was living in (above) who negotiated to move from apartment to apartment updating them as he went and his rent was free so long as he kept to a certain schedule/quality agreement with the landlord.

just depends from one landlord/mgmt company to another.
Hamilton on requiring Congressional supermajorities "...its real operation is to embarrass the administration, to destroy the energy of government, and to substitute the pleasure, caprice, or artifices of an insignificant, turbulent or corrupt junto, to the regular deliberations and decisions of a respectable majority." - Federalist No. 22
phreakdna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-06, 11:33 AM   #16
cseaman

Post Thanks / Like

Well the thing is, in my building, EVERY unit is completely different..I don't think a single one of them is the same square footage as another unit.

So...I suppose I could make some sort of offer? I dunno. Guess I'll find out.

Thanks for chiming in Kyle
Old 2011-04-06, 02:46 PM   #17
titaniumSS

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 58
Thanks (Received): 118
Likes (Given): 600
Likes (Received): 704
Dislikes (Received): 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by duttbart View Post
of course!

i never take the first offer - however i'm also not offensive in my negotiations.

the current house we rent i pay $1700 / month. that's a lot of money. if i'm paying someones mortgage i better be treated as an asset.

when we found this house two years ago the only thing we didn't like was the fact that it didn't have a fence.

he told the landlord if he agreed to put up a 6 foot wooden privacy fence we would sign. he agreed. 8 weeks later we had a fence.

we're coming up on our lease renewal for the third year. i want a house with a pool. there's no way a pool will get installed but there are things i'd like changed at the current house if we do decide to stay.

the landlord has agreed to remove carpet and install tile floors, replace fridge, widen driveway, and just installed $4k brand new AC this past weekend.

the cool part about having a private landlord is that they sometimes will do what you want because it adds value to their property.

here's the house i'm looking to move into.

http://www.trulia.com/rental/photos/...Beach-FL-33441
If you get that house, expect a visit.

titaniumSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-06, 03:16 PM   #18
KissMyWhtSS

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 8
Likes (Given): 12
Likes (Received): 49
Dislikes (Given): 2
Dislikes (Received): 1

Of course, why wouldn't it? You can negotiate anything as long as it isn't subject to breaking another law.

For example, on one of the houses my dad looked at a few years back he really liked the refrigerator / appliances so he wanted those left.

That being said with an apartment complex, I don't think there will be as much room to negotiate as a house, so you may not be able to get much (if anything).

-Eric
1997 Camaro SS #2703/2892 - 13.slow@102
2004 Silverado Z71
1994 Suzuki DR125
- 2 Wheel Fun
KissMyWhtSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-06, 04:15 PM   #19
cseaman

Post Thanks / Like

edit
Old 2011-04-06, 04:59 PM   #20
ctprelude

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 24
Likes (Given): 3
Likes (Received): 166
Dislikes (Given): 1
Dislikes (Received): 9

You can try, but if it's a nice place like it sounds like, they will probably not give you anything.
Old 2011-04-06, 06:11 PM   #21
KC_Si

Post Thanks / Like

EDIT. I'm a dumbass.

Last edited by KC_Si; 2011-04-06 at 09:13 PM..
KC_Si is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-06, 06:59 PM   #22
KUweatherman
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 391
Thanks (Received): 354
Likes (Given): 4607
Likes (Received): 2026
Dislikes (Given): 114
Dislikes (Received): 171

I'm usually not a fan of short hair, but that chick is absolutely gorgeous.
Old 2011-04-06, 09:12 PM   #23
KC_Si

Post Thanks / Like

And I totally posted in the wrong thread. Sorry dudes.