Mirror Finish Polishing ~ 1-816-529-6089 ~ sales@mirrorfinishpolishing.com ~ mirrorfinishpolishing.com For the best rate on home, auto, life or business/commercial insurance call me at 888-959-0955, cell 636-734-1310 or bricehazelwood@weiss-ins.com. Never Done Garage - donewhenimdead.com Peerless Automotive Reconditioning - 1155 W. Dennis Ave, Olathe Ks, 66061 - 913-893-1201 Mark H. Epstein ~ The Epstein Law Firm, LLC ~ 913-396-5123 Wilkes Automotive ~ wilkesautomotive.com ~ 246 Marion St, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ 913-254-7171 Skandalous Inc ~ www.skandalousinc.com DIY Auto Repair Inc ~ www.diyautorepairkc.com ~ 11509 Strangline Rd, Olathe KS 66062 ~ 913-226-3806 Your advertisement here! The Law Offices of Jeremiah Johnson, LLC ~ 104 E. Poplar, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ (913)764-5010 ~ www.kcatty.com - www.johnsoncountydui.com ~ jeremiah@kcatty.com Santa Fe Body, Inc ~ 8717 Lenexa Drive, Overland Park, KS 66214 ~ (913) 894-6090 House of Boost LLC Nude? HouseofHID.com - The #1 source for HID The Print Shop KC 816.200.6694 or Ryan@RMD-Photography.com the art of tyleR ~ http://tyleR.bigcartel.com ~ TYLERcoey.com ~ MUTTtoy.com ~ MUTTtoy@gmail.com W-K Chevrolet Buick Pontiac Cadillac GMC ~ 3310 W. Broadway, Sedalia, MO 65301 ~ 800-382-5088 ~ Cell 660-553-8928 ~ dustin@wkchevy.com ~ www.wkchevy.com

Go Back   KCSR - THE Kansas City Forum > General Forums > Fitness and Health

Reply
Thread Tools
Unread 2012-08-18, 12:06 PM   #1
ItalionStallion888
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Olathe
Posts: 35,376
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 184
Thanks (Received): 261
Likes (Given): 2195
Likes (Received): 1605
Dislikes (Given): 68
Dislikes (Received): 73
Default 8 months later

Nov of last year I made the decision to lessen the amount of pop I drink. Prior to this decision I was drinking a can of coke in the morning, 44oz at lunch and another can for dinner. Jan of this year my weight was 270+, I quit cold turkey and started doing meal replacement shakes from advocare. I'm down to a coke a week if that. As of this morning per my doc visit I'm not down to 230lbs. I feel better, no more digestive, sleep or skin issues. My next goal is 200lbs by end of next year. Not swole but feeling fantastic.

I know in order to reach my next goal I will need to start working out. I hate going to the gym, does anyone have any good home work outs they do?
ItalionStallion888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2012-08-18, 12:11 PM   #2
mild83
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: cabrini green
Posts: 14,685
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 941
Thanks (Received): 340
Likes (Given): 6529
Likes (Received): 2786
Dislikes (Given): 133
Dislikes (Received): 138
Default

Maybe try some sort of strongman type stuff?
mild83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2012-08-18, 12:19 PM   #3
ItalionStallion888
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Olathe
Posts: 35,376
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 184
Thanks (Received): 261
Likes (Given): 2195
Likes (Received): 1605
Dislikes (Given): 68
Dislikes (Received): 73
Default

My objective isn't to get big, just continue to keep shedding my gut and build back my strenght/stamina. We walk the dogs every other day until they get tired.
ItalionStallion888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2012-08-18, 12:36 PM   #4
mild83
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: cabrini green
Posts: 14,685
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 941
Thanks (Received): 340
Likes (Given): 6529
Likes (Received): 2786
Dislikes (Given): 133
Dislikes (Received): 138
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalionStallion888 View Post
My objective isn't to get big, just continue to keep shedding my gut and build back my strenght/stamina. We walk the dogs every other day until they get tired.
I wasn't suggesting it to "get big", just something that is outside of the realm of lifting weights. As I'm sure others will tell you, don't worry about "getting big", it takes a shitload of dedication, nutrition to gain a large amount of lean muscle. If that isn't your goal, and you're not trying to, I wouldn't worry about it.
mild83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2012-08-18, 03:03 PM   #5
Sylva
Harry Potter
 
Sylva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: H-Town, Third ward.
Posts: 18,897
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 142
Thanks (Received): 328
Likes (Given): 1573
Likes (Received): 1974
Dislikes (Given): 60
Dislikes (Received): 19
Default

Congrats man, that is awesome! Honestly, at home, just p90x
Sylva is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2012-08-18, 04:13 PM   #6
Slow6
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 45
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 5
Likes (Given): 7
Likes (Received): 7
Dislikes (Given): 1
Dislikes (Received): 1
Default

great work! I would recommend a suspension trainer, just added one to my home gym. haven't used it too much yet but the few exercises i tried on it were tough, especially ab workouts. about $40 worth of parts from amazon and lowes but offers a lot of different workout options for a cheap and compact system. google homemade suspension trainer or trx suspension kit and you will find some decent directions.
Slow6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2012-08-18, 08:30 PM   #7
69Mach351
 
69Mach351's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: NE KS
Posts: 8,478
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 262
Thanks (Received): 234
Likes (Given): 1797
Likes (Received): 1701
Dislikes (Given): 37
Dislikes (Received): 44
Default

69Mach351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2012-08-18, 08:36 PM   #8
BuddyLee
 
BuddyLee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Lenexa, KS
Posts: 28,809
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 24
Thanks (Received): 259
Likes (Given): 61
Likes (Received): 1954
Dislikes (Given): 4
Dislikes (Received): 35
Default

I'd go with Insanity over P90x for home workouts. Much less shit to purchase and just as effective from what I've seen.

Guy I work with started at 295 12 most ago. He started his weight loss journey by doing the Insanity program with his wife. At the end of it he was 40lbs lighter. After that he did the Couch to 5k program. 12 mos later he's now an avid runner and 100 lbs lighter.
__________________
XBL: Buddyl33
PSN: KC_Buddyl33

BuddyLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2012-08-18, 10:17 PM   #9
comtrang
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Salt Lake City/Kansas City
Posts: 1,407
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 31
Thanks (Received): 18
Likes (Given): 57
Likes (Received): 68
Dislikes (Given): 1
Dislikes (Received): 2
Default

Congrats, that's exciting! Keep it up.
__________________
'08 BMW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bustin Dailey View Post
2nd nicest guy on KCSR.... officially.

comtrang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2012-08-23, 05:55 AM   #10
Marlin336sc
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: De Soto, Kansas
Posts: 1,071
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 301
Thanks (Received): 31
Likes (Given): 765
Likes (Received): 92
Dislikes (Given): 42
Dislikes (Received): 40
Default

I have a home bench/leg machine I can sell you, if you're interested. It's in pretty good shape, I think it goes up to 215 or 225 in the weights I have for it. I'd get a few dumbbells, because there is a lot you can do with dumbbells. Buy a treadmill or elliptical. Do push ups, sit ups, and side planks.

If you change your mind on going to a gym. Planet fitness over there at 135th and quivira has a 99$ one payment for a year deal. I pay 21 dollars a month, and then I think it's 40 dollars in the month of june once a year. I can bring a guest with me when ever I want though, and you can tan. Only thing I don't like about it is that they're only 24 hours during the work week, not on the weekend. However there are actually normal people that go there, that aren't huge, or crazy ripped. Which is nice to know that you're not the only one in the gym who isn't a straight up hoss.

Having stuff at home, or a gym membership comes in handy during the winter time, because running out in the cold/weather is not a lot of fun.

http://www.nationalguard.com/life/fi...ss-calculators

http://www.acefitness.org/calculator...alculator.aspx

http://www.acefitness.org/calculator...alculator.aspx

http://www.acefitness.org/workouts/default.aspx

Then again do you like. I just wouldn't suggest anything under 8 reps or over 12. Only go over 12 if it's really light weight, and you're just doing it for anaerobic lifting. Cardio is king in weight lose.

Best of luck to you.
__________________
There's no liberty left, in a world riddled with control.
Marlin336sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2012-08-23, 08:24 AM   #11
speedysweetie
Mafia Queen
 
speedysweetie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 14,576
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 33
Thanks (Received): 26
Likes (Given): 176
Likes (Received): 159
Dislikes (Given): 0
Dislikes (Received): 1
Default

Great job, JT!

If you need access to p90x, Mueller has my DVDs right now. Feel free to borrow them if you'd like. I hear they are an AMAZING workout! Also, YouTube is FULLLLLLLL of videos!! You can probably try something new every single day of the year.

I would suggest looking into tabata style workouts as you get the best sweat & burn from them in the least amount of time. They also suggest that you continue to burn fat after the session as well. Good luck!
__________________

"Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want"
"If you feel you need to tell lies to get ahead, perhaps you need to evaluate why you're behind in the first place."
speedysweetie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2012-08-23, 08:31 AM   #12
87supraT
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 8,134
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 15
Thanks (Received): 22
Likes (Given): 48
Likes (Received): 92
Dislikes (Given): 0
Dislikes (Received): 1
Default

I did P90X at home and liked it a lot. I need to get back to doing it again.
__________________
87supraT is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 2012-08-23, 08:41 AM   #13
Ryan D
Custom User Title
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 45,166
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 30
Thanks (Received): 175
Likes (Given): 91
Likes (Received): 1288
Dislikes (Given): 28
Dislikes (Received): 212
Default

I personally use a recumbent bike that I got a hell of a deal on ($600 retail, got it for around $200 as an open box item) for my cardio and have a power tower and perfect pushups for body weight based strength training. You could use pushup bars instead of perfect pushups. Some say the work the same and the twisting motion is a gimmick.

I put all of this in a spare bedroom with my extra tv that I got a netgear media streaming box for so I can watch Netflix or stream Pandora while I workout.

So, if you don't want to go to a gym that is one option but you can't let it just sit there. My girlfriend and I developed a reward system for working out. Each day we work out gets checked off on a calendar. The person that works out the most gets to pick what we do on a date night and the more we work out the nicer the date (or activity, etc.). We keep the calendar on the fridge so it is a constant reminder.
Ryan D is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2012-08-23, 08:43 AM   #14
snm95ls
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 42,765
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 399
Thanks (Received): 349
Likes (Given): 3577
Likes (Received): 2058
Dislikes (Given): 64
Dislikes (Received): 56
Default

Congrats dude!

I cannot imagine you at 270 lbs.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Leonard McCoy
I know engineers. They love to change things.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson
...Because I live on a balanced diet, I have a balanced mind, and as a result I know that animals are like people. Some are for looking at. Some are for loving. Some are for riding. And some need to be shot because they’re a bloody nuisance.
snm95ls is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2012-08-23, 09:18 AM   #15
ItalionStallion888
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Olathe
Posts: 35,376
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 184
Thanks (Received): 261
Likes (Given): 2195
Likes (Received): 1605
Dislikes (Given): 68
Dislikes (Received): 73
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedysweetie View Post
Great job, JT!

If you need access to p90x, Mueller has my DVDs right now. Feel free to borrow them if you'd like. I hear they are an AMAZING workout! Also, YouTube is FULLLLLLLL of videos!! You can probably try something new every single day of the year.

I would suggest looking into tabata style workouts as you get the best sweat & burn from them in the least amount of time. They also suggest that you continue to burn fat after the session as well. Good luck!
Thank you, I will see if he is still using them. I heard they were a killer work out and we have the living room space for us both to do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlin336sc View Post
I have a home bench/leg machine I can sell you, if you're interested. It's in pretty good shape, I think it goes up to 215 or 225 in the weights I have for it. I'd get a few dumbbells, because there is a lot you can do with dumbbells. Buy a treadmill or elliptical. Do push ups, sit ups, and side planks.

If you change your mind on going to a gym. Planet fitness over there at 135th and quivira has a 99$ one payment for a year deal. I pay 21 dollars a month, and then I think it's 40 dollars in the month of june once a year. I can bring a guest with me when ever I want though, and you can tan. Only thing I don't like about it is that they're only 24 hours during the work week, not on the weekend. However there are actually normal people that go there, that aren't huge, or crazy ripped. Which is nice to know that you're not the only one in the gym who isn't a straight up hoss.

Having stuff at home, or a gym membership comes in handy during the winter time, because running out in the cold/weather is not a lot of fun.

http://www.nationalguard.com/life/fi...ss-calculators

http://www.acefitness.org/calculator...alculator.aspx

http://www.acefitness.org/calculator...alculator.aspx

http://www.acefitness.org/workouts/default.aspx

Then again do you like. I just wouldn't suggest anything under 8 reps or over 12. Only go over 12 if it's really light weight, and you're just doing it for anaerobic lifting. Cardio is king in weight lose.

Best of luck to you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan D View Post
I personally use a recumbent bike that I got a hell of a deal on ($600 retail, got it for around $200 as an open box item) for my cardio and have a power tower and perfect pushups for body weight based strength training. You could use pushup bars instead of perfect pushups. Some say the work the same and the twisting motion is a gimmick.

I put all of this in a spare bedroom with my extra tv that I got a netgear media streaming box for so I can watch Netflix or stream Pandora while I workout.

So, if you don't want to go to a gym that is one option but you can't let it just sit there. My girlfriend and I developed a reward system for working out. Each day we work out gets checked off on a calendar. The person that works out the most gets to pick what we do on a date night and the more we work out the nicer the date (or activity, etc.). We keep the calendar on the fridge so it is a constant reminder.
We don't really have the room for any work out type equipment in our current rental. Once we buy a house I plan on setting up a nice little home gym. We use to go to planet fitness, it was cheap but the times that we were able to go, the place was always packed and I hated waiting 30 min for a bike or treadmill to open up.


Quote:
Originally Posted by snm95ls View Post
Congrats dude!

I cannot imagine you at 270 lbs.
I know right, I felt unhealthy and it started affecting the way I lived my life. When I started getting tired walking up the stairs to the bed room I knew it was time for a change. I've had a lot of support at home and huge pushes here at work from my co-workers and managers.
ItalionStallion888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2012-08-23, 10:12 AM   #16
speedysweetie
Mafia Queen
 
speedysweetie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 14,576
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 33
Thanks (Received): 26
Likes (Given): 176
Likes (Received): 159
Dislikes (Given): 0
Dislikes (Received): 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalionStallion888 View Post
Thank you, I will see if he is still using them. I heard they were a killer work out and we have the living room space for us both to do it.
There are alternative methods of doing some of the exercises that require you to have a pull up bar or free weights. You can purchase a pack of bands and between you and Celeste, you should be fine. Bands are around $12-$20 (depending on the brand) and should come in a variety pack.
__________________

"Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want"
"If you feel you need to tell lies to get ahead, perhaps you need to evaluate why you're behind in the first place."
speedysweetie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2012-08-23, 10:15 AM   #17
87supraT
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 8,134
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 15
Thanks (Received): 22
Likes (Given): 48
Likes (Received): 92
Dislikes (Given): 0
Dislikes (Received): 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedysweetie View Post
There are alternative methods of doing some of the exercises that require you to have a pull up bar or free weights. You can purchase a pack of bands and between you and Celeste, you should be fine. Bands are around $12-$20 (depending on the brand) and should come in a variety pack.
This is what I did. Dick's had a set of them for under $50 when I bought them. They work great!
__________________
87supraT is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 2012-08-23, 12:04 PM   #18
CrazieAccord
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 13,820
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 10
Thanks (Received): 20
Likes (Given): 28
Likes (Received): 92
Dislikes (Given): 1
Dislikes (Received): 0
Default

Personally I prefer to get my exercise while doing an activity I enjoy so my suggestion would be to pick up a hobby that requires exertion. Bike riding, softball, basketball, football, etc.
__________________
Realtor with ReeceNichols Real Estate
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Marlin336sc liked this post
CrazieAccord is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2012-08-23, 12:18 PM   #19
BuddyLee
 
BuddyLee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Lenexa, KS
Posts: 28,809
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 24
Thanks (Received): 259
Likes (Given): 61
Likes (Received): 1954
Dislikes (Given): 4
Dislikes (Received): 35
Default

Insanity is the same level of intensity as P90X but doesn't require any additional equipment like P90X does.
__________________
XBL: Buddyl33
PSN: KC_Buddyl33

BuddyLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2012-08-23, 12:23 PM   #20
ItalionStallion888
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Olathe
Posts: 35,376
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 184
Thanks (Received): 261
Likes (Given): 2195
Likes (Received): 1605
Dislikes (Given): 68
Dislikes (Received): 73
Default

Neck and knee can't take physical sports anymore, which is why I stopped playing soccer. I could still do it, but I'm not going to risk future issues/potential surgery.
ItalionStallion888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2012-08-23, 12:33 PM   #21
CrazieAccord
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 13,820
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 10
Thanks (Received): 20
Likes (Given): 28
Likes (Received): 92
Dislikes (Given): 1
Dislikes (Received): 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalionStallion888 View Post
Neck and knee can't take physical sports anymore, which is why I stopped playing soccer. I could still do it, but I'm not going to risk future issues/potential surgery.
surgery sucks. I am/was too stupid to stop before it reached that point.
__________________
Realtor with ReeceNichols Real Estate
CrazieAccord is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2012-08-23, 12:34 PM   #22
ItalionStallion888
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Olathe
Posts: 35,376
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 184
Thanks (Received): 261
Likes (Given): 2195
Likes (Received): 1605
Dislikes (Given): 68
Dislikes (Received): 73
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazieAccord View Post
surgery sucks. I am/was too stupid to stop before it reached that point.
the doc told me if I kept doing what I was doing I would end up with knee surgery and some neck disc fusion. I've got 26 years of never being cut open. Don't want to change that anytime soon.
ItalionStallion888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2012-08-23, 04:37 PM   #23
Marlin336sc
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: De Soto, Kansas
Posts: 1,071
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 301
Thanks (Received): 31
Likes (Given): 765
Likes (Received): 92
Dislikes (Given): 42
Dislikes (Received): 40
Default

Yeah, I feel you it really does suck when the gym is packed with people. Mid day is a slow time for most gyms, unless someone goes on their lunch break. After about 9pm it seems to drop off a lot too. 13 laps around the track at planet fitness is 1 mile. I did 40 last night before my lungs were about done. Smoking is stupid, if I could go back I would have never started!
__________________
There's no liberty left, in a world riddled with control.
Marlin336sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

 

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:19 PM.


Design By: Miner Skinz.com
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.13.37
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright (c) 1993-2012, KCSR.org