Mirror Finish Polishing ~ 1-816-529-6089 ~ sales@mirrorfinishpolishing.com ~ mirrorfinishpolishing.com For the best rate on home, auto, life or business/commercial insurance call me at 888-959-0955, cell 636-734-1310 or bricehazelwood@weiss-ins.com. Never Done Garage - donewhenimdead.com Peerless Automotive Reconditioning - 1155 W. Dennis Ave, Olathe Ks, 66061 - 913-893-1201 Mark H. Epstein ~ The Epstein Law Firm, LLC ~ 913-396-5123 Wilkes Automotive ~ wilkesautomotive.com ~ 246 Marion St, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ 913-254-7171 Skandalous Inc ~ www.skandalousinc.com DIY Auto Repair Inc ~ www.diyautorepairkc.com ~ 11509 Strangline Rd, Olathe KS 66062 ~ 913-226-3806 Your advertisement here! The Law Offices of Jeremiah Johnson, LLC ~ 104 E. Poplar, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ (913)764-5010 ~ www.kcatty.com - www.johnsoncountydui.com ~ jeremiah@kcatty.com Santa Fe Body, Inc ~ 8717 Lenexa Drive, Overland Park, KS 66214 ~ (913) 894-6090 House of Boost LLC Nude? HouseofHID.com - The #1 source for HID The Print Shop KC 816.200.6694 or Ryan@RMD-Photography.com the art of tyleR ~ http://tyleR.bigcartel.com ~ TYLERcoey.com ~ MUTTtoy.com ~ MUTTtoy@gmail.com W-K Chevrolet Buick Pontiac Cadillac GMC ~ 3310 W. Broadway, Sedalia, MO 65301 ~ 800-382-5088 ~ Cell 660-553-8928 ~ dustin@wkchevy.com ~ www.wkchevy.com

Go Back   KCSR - THE Kansas City Forum > General Forums > Fitness and Health

Unread 2012-09-03, 06:21 PM   #1
FOACAD
الكافر المشرف

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 10
Thanks (Received): 570
Likes (Given): 36
Likes (Received): 3831
Dislikes (Given): 27
Dislikes (Received): 148
Default Help me eat more....and better

Ok, so ive been hitting the gym pretty hard lately and really want to work on the nutrition side of things as well.

Out here our nutrition we get is complete shit. We get two meals a day provided by our cooks out here, and they are barely enough to sustain us due to rationing and portions we are allowed to have.

I work nights from 8p-8a. My breakfast is everyone elses dinner. I usually eat right around 815 bring my tray to the toc to eat.

Example of food:

Tonight was a special night imo, we had beef ribs and werent limited on how much. I had about a half slabs worth of ribs and some steamed broccoli < another rarity here.

Then I have a protein shake and some nuts of some sort a little after that.

Any where from midnight to 0300 i go to the gym, following the gym i have another protein shake.

A few hours later (0500-0600 usually) i have my "dinner" which is some sort of microwavable meal or canned fish (tuna, oysters, clams, anchovies, sardines, herring...whatever i have left from care packages).

I get off at 0800 and have a protein shake and that is the last thing i have.

I also drink a LOT of water through out my day. Usually 6-10 bottles (16.9oz) a day and that is the only liquid i drink.

My protein shakes are roughly 25g of protein per.

I dont normally stay up for "breakfast" as its usually 9 to 10 ish, mainly due to wanting to get sleep when i can as we take IDF quite frequently (every damn day) thus messing with my sleep.

Soooooo, after all that. Mainly im looking for foods that i can either order or have sent to me in care packages from my family that is high in protein and not shitty foods. Foods that will contribute to healthy eating.

I have noticed a lot of packaged foods i get are high in sodium and carbs/sugars. Am i worrying too much about any of these categories? What is the right level of sodium/carbs/sugars i should be getting?

Things i have - Microwave, water...not much else. So i cant really cook things unless it can be cooked in a microwave or with water.

HALP?
FOACAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2012-09-03, 09:55 PM   #2
QWIK-GT

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 5
Likes (Given): 17
Likes (Received): 9
Dislikes (Given): 1
Dislikes (Received): 0

Im in the same boat man. its killer when we have a busy mission set as we dont have time for the gym or food well I should say healthy food. spending the 4 days with you guys was killer for everything I had going for me, sent me for a complete loop on my schedule.

Last edited by QWIK-GT; 2012-09-03 at 09:57 PM..
QWIK-GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2012-09-03, 11:12 PM   #3
FOACAD
الكافر المشرف

Post Thanks / Like

Damn, i meant to PM you before all that kicked off so i could figure out who you are.

My brain was about to explode with everything i had to track, im sure you guys were fucking drained too.

But yeah, it sucks, especially since I think we are in the running for worst cooks ever.
Unread 2012-09-04, 01:50 AM   #4
QWIK-GT

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 5
Likes (Given): 17
Likes (Received): 9
Dislikes (Given): 1
Dislikes (Received): 0

3 meat ball limit with a slice of what they called turkey..what a meal. anyway ill send you a PM next time we are headed your way. now that i know your hours ill stop in for sure if we pull in
Unread 2012-09-04, 02:35 PM   #5
deploytosave
Southern Dandy

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 164
Thanks (Received): 117
Likes (Given): 359
Likes (Received): 780
Dislikes (Given): 12
Dislikes (Received): 21

make sure you are eating at least your body weight in protein per day... MINIMUM

Microwavable meals are garbage for the most part, hardly any nutrients in them.. and way high in sodium

eat a lot of almonds, and beef jerky, you dont need to cook either of them, and both are a good source of protein

you need to have some sort of breakfast... gets the body up and moving for the day

eat your body weight x 17 + 500 in calories, as a rule of thumb for building

yes, this is disorganized lol, i was just reading your post and typing my thoughts haha

2013 FUKUS ST
deploytosave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2012-09-04, 03:07 PM   #6
FOACAD
الكافر المشرف

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by deploytosave View Post
make sure you are eating at least your body weight in protein per day... MINIMUM
trying to do this but it has been hard to get up to that much with what i have available right now. mainly why i need some ideas on what is out there that i can order.

Quote:
Microwavable meals are garbage for the most part, hardly any nutrients in them.. and way high in sodium

eat a lot of almonds, and beef jerky, you dont need to cook either of them, and both are a good source of protein
have noticed that about the little meals. ridiculous amounts of sodium. but what else is there for someone in my situation?

ive got a lot of nuts on the way (almonds, cashews, pistachios etc etc).

ive been hesitant on jerky. what are some good choices in that dept that arent high in sodium and excess crap?

Quote:
you need to have some sort of breakfast... gets the body up and moving for the day
i do eat breakfast....my breakfast just happens to be at 2000 and is everyone elses dinner. i dont eat at 0900 when everyone else is as that is when im getting ready for bed. my "meals" are usually 2000, 2200-2300, 0200-0300, 0500-0600.

Quote:
eat your body weight x 17 + 500 in calories, as a rule of thumb for building

yes, this is disorganized lol, i was just reading your post and typing my thoughts haha
Thanks for the help, appreciate it.
Unread 2012-09-04, 03:29 PM   #7
speedysweetie
Mafia Queen

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 33
Thanks (Received): 26
Likes (Given): 176
Likes (Received): 159
Dislikes (Given): 0
Dislikes (Received): 1

Canned goods?

We sent my cousin tons of canned goods and a mini camper grill. They rigged it so they can use the gas/diesel/whatever they had available to cook their meals on.

"Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want"
"If you feel you need to tell lies to get ahead, perhaps you need to evaluate why you're behind in the first place."
speedysweetie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2012-09-07, 02:38 PM   #8
FOACAD
الكافر المشرف

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedysweetie View Post
Canned goods?

We sent my cousin tons of canned goods and a mini camper grill. They rigged it so they can use the gas/diesel/whatever they had available to cook their meals on.
Dont really have the ability to use a camper grill or something like that.

Can goods wouldnt be bad, just need to get some microwave safe bowls and such.

Lately ive been going through the Any Soldier boxes and get a lot of the protein bars, tuna and other fish and trail mix/nuts out of them.

Ive been slowly getting my protein up each day and i think ive gotten it up to almost 200g a day while still keeping my carbs at a lowered level.

Still searching for good packaged meals as ive found some good snack items. Just need things to make for an actual meal that isnt terrible.
Unread 2012-09-07, 03:22 PM   #9
Sylva
Harry Potter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 142
Thanks (Received): 328
Likes (Given): 1573
Likes (Received): 1974
Dislikes (Given): 60
Dislikes (Received): 19

IMO, these are the perfect option for you. Here is the kit I like as it's more of a full meal replacement size than the other which i would consider snack size

http://stevesoriginal.com/cart/Strongman-Size-Paleokit/

but

Here is a link to ALL their products.

http://stevesoriginal.com/store

They ship to APO and give a 10% military discount.

www.truenutrition.com discount code rys241 for 5% off all orders!
Sylva is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2012-09-07, 03:31 PM   #10
FOACAD
الكافر المشرف

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome, ill probably try those on my next "grocery" purchase i make.

I notice on that first one you linked, it has 1080mg of sodium per.

I read through your nutrition thread and didnt really see anything on the subject, what is your opinion on sodium and what an adequate intake is?
Unread 2012-09-07, 03:47 PM   #11
Sylva
Harry Potter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 142
Thanks (Received): 328
Likes (Given): 1573
Likes (Received): 1974
Dislikes (Given): 60
Dislikes (Received): 19

I don't think at your age, with your activity level, your other healthy eating habits etc that its anything you need to really concern yourself with. Just don't salt em lol

www.truenutrition.com discount code rys241 for 5% off all orders!
Sylva is offline   Reply With Quote