Mirror Finish Polishing ~ 1-816-529-6089 ~ sales@mirrorfinishpolishing.com ~ mirrorfinishpolishing.com For the best rate on home, auto, life or business/commercial insurance call me at 888-959-0955, cell 636-734-1310 or bricehazelwood@weiss-ins.com. Never Done Garage - donewhenimdead.com Peerless Automotive Reconditioning - 1155 W. Dennis Ave, Olathe Ks, 66061 - 913-893-1201 Mark H. Epstein ~ The Epstein Law Firm, LLC ~ 913-396-5123 Wilkes Automotive ~ wilkesautomotive.com ~ 246 Marion St, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ 913-254-7171 Skandalous Inc ~ www.skandalousinc.com DIY Auto Repair Inc ~ www.diyautorepairkc.com ~ 11509 Strangline Rd, Olathe KS 66062 ~ 913-226-3806 Your advertisement here! The Law Offices of Jeremiah Johnson, LLC ~ 104 E. Poplar, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ (913)764-5010 ~ www.kcatty.com - www.johnsoncountydui.com ~ jeremiah@kcatty.com Santa Fe Body, Inc ~ 8717 Lenexa Drive, Overland Park, KS 66214 ~ (913) 894-6090 House of Boost LLC Nude? HouseofHID.com - The #1 source for HID The Print Shop KC 816.200.6694 or Ryan@RMD-Photography.com the art of tyleR ~ http://tyleR.bigcartel.com ~ TYLERcoey.com ~ MUTTtoy.com ~ MUTTtoy@gmail.com W-K Chevrolet Buick Pontiac Cadillac GMC ~ 3310 W. Broadway, Sedalia, MO 65301 ~ 800-382-5088 ~ Cell 660-553-8928 ~ dustin@wkchevy.com ~ www.wkchevy.com

Go Back   KCSR - THE Kansas City Forum > General Forums > Movies, Music, TV, Books

Unread 2012-05-04, 11:52 PM   #1
JDLM
Schutzstaffel

Post Thanks / Like
Default Scarlett Johansson Reveals Potential for Black Widow Prequel

Scarlett Johansson (Black Widow) discusses details of a potential Black Widow spin-off and how it would play out.

After only one day of being released in the US, Scarlett Johansson seems eager to slip back into her superhero tight Black Widow costume while discussing the potential for her own spin-off.

She talked about what needs to be done to make it happen and how fans would be able to watch Natasha Romanoff evolve into the Black Widow:

Quote:
“I love her origin story. I think it’s just such a riveting one… It’s just steeped in history and the richness to shoot in Russia, perhaps. … I hope that the fans’ voice is loud enough and they want to see a Widow origin story, I know Marvel would be happy to entertain that. We’ve spoken a lot about it.”
She also goes on to talk about how much Natasha has been filled out since Iron Man 2:

Quote:
“[In Avengers] you see a little bit about how Natasha joined and it’s not that she’s fighting for the greater good of humanity. She was almost salvaged by S.H.I.E.L.D. and so she’s loyal to that group, to that agency, but only as sort of paid debt.”
Unread 2012-05-06, 08:47 AM   #2
carlos64030
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 391
Thanks (Received): 284
Likes (Given): 2788
Likes (Received): 1588
Dislikes (Given): 16
Dislikes (Received): 19

I've always known about Black Widow, but really know nothing about her since she's not a character I've ever followed. I would love to see a movie based on her origins.

One owner, 1997 WS6 Trans Am - Far from stock.
carlos64030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2012-05-06, 09:15 AM   #3
Boorah

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 41
Thanks (Received): 50
Likes (Given): 52
Likes (Received): 380
Dislikes (Given): 15
Dislikes (Received): 12

I just want to see more of Scarlett Johansson..
Boorah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2016-01-12, 10:52 AM   #4
JDLM
Schutzstaffel

Post Thanks / Like

Captain America : Civil War Directors Would Like to Make Black Widow Movie

"The richest character in the Marvel universe."

The Russo brothers have quickly become key players in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Not only have they now directed two Captain America movies--2014's The Winter Soldier and the hugely anticipated Civil War--they have also been given the task of bringing the epic Avengers: Infinity War to the screen. Now Joe and Anthony Russo have revealed that they would be interested in making a standalone movie featuring Russian agent-turned-Avenger Black Widow.
As reported by Comicbook.com, Joe explained why he would be drawn to a solo Black Widow film. "Hell yeah! We love that character," he enthused. "That the character is one of if not the richest character in the Marvel universe. A very complex character, haunted by demons and her understanding of the world is fascinating.
"I think there is a lot that can be done with that character."
Scarlett Johansson has played Black Widow in several Marvel movies, but she and Jeremy Renner's Hawkeye remain the only original Avengers not to have their own movies scheduled.
Last year, Johansson spoke about her character's place in the Marvel universe, and how her contract with the studio has changed as her role in the movies has grown. "I think in the grand scheme of things The Widow has a greater purpose," she told Collider. "With the Civil War coming up, I think it's pretty clear where the pieces will fall. I think all that we've built up to this point."
"Myself and Marvel didn't really know how the fans were gonna react to Black Widow the first time," she admitted. "They couldn't anticipate how they would want to user her or if they would want to use her. I mean we invest in that character, but the audience had a great reaction to the character, which has been so awesome.
"I wasn't contracted into doing Cap movies, but that storyline worked out so well I kind of branched off and I found myself in that standalone movie. My contract is kind of mutating, I guess."
Captain America: Civil War will be released on May 5, 2016, while Avengers: Infinity War Part 1 and Part 2 are due to hit cinemas on May 4, 2018 and May 3, 2019 respectively.
Unread 2017-10-27, 09:19 AM   #5
JDLM
Schutzstaffel

Post Thanks / Like

One Other Marvel Character Thor: Ragnarok's Director Thinks He Could Do Something With

Fans of the Marvel Cinematic Universe are hyped up, as a new blockbuster from the shared universe is just weeks away from release. Taika Waititi's Thor: Ragnarok will be a game changer for the Thor franchise, teaming the God of Thunder up with both his brother Loki and The Incredible Hulk. Waititi has reportedly crafted the best Thor movie yet, making sure to inject the franchise with more humor, color, and over the top action than before. But it turns out that there is another MCU hero who the director thinks would be an interesting choice: Scarlett Johansson's Black Widow. He recently said,

[I'd like to see] Black Widow as something crazy and a bit funnier than we expect it to be. Because we know her story and it's very sullen and very dark and her history is very dark. But! What's the funny version of that? What's the more entertaining version of that?

Do you hear that? It's the sound of fanboys everywhere yelling for joy. MCU fans have long been waiting on a Black Widow movie, so even the most casual of conversations about a solo film is exciting.

We must clarify that Taika Waititi's comments to io9 don't actually mean he'd direct a Black Widow movie. He's recently expressed interest in helming another Thor movie, claiming that he's not particularly fond of the myriad other characters in the shared universe. So perhaps its the idea of making an unconventional Black Widow movie that is more fun to discuss than actually getting down to directing one.

Although Taika Waititi likely won't be directing a Black Widow movie, it doesn't make the fan outcry for it any less loud. While Natasha made her debut back in 2010's Iron Man 2, she still hasn't been given a film to lead-- besides her supporting role in Captain America: The Winter Soldier. Fans have been hoping she'll be awarded one in the near future, perhaps alongside Jeremy Renner's Hawkeye. Considering what a major figure Black Widow has been throughout all three phases of the MCU, it would make sense to finally give her more of a spotlight.

But it's also unclear if Johansson's contract will be up with Marvel after the next two Avengers films. If she's exhausted with playing Black Widow, then we may never get the chance to see her lead a film. This would be a wasted opportunity by Marvel Studios, considering Johansson is the most bankable actress in Hollywood at the moment.

The MCU has only very lightly touched on Black Widow's sordid history, so perhaps giving her a capsule movie set in the past ala Wonder Woman is a good way to go. This would allow the audience to have information other characters aren't privy to, and therefore explain Black Widow's motives in her present day appearances.
Unread 2018-01-10, 08:27 PM   #6
JDLM
Schutzstaffel

Post Thanks / Like

BLACK WIDOW Standalone Feature Moving Forward As Marvel Enlists Jac Schaeffer To Pen The Script

As Marvel Studios approaches the end of Phase 3, they've already started looking ahead to Phase 4 and it sounds like fans may finally get that Black Widow movie they've wanted since 2010. Check it out!

It appears as though Marvel Studios, after a decade of epic Marvel Cinematic Universe adventures, is finally moving forward with their long-rumored Black Widow solo feature as Variety is reporting that the studio has enlisted Jac Schaeffer to pen the script.

4x Golden Globe-nominated actress Scarlett Johansson (Avengers: Infinity War) will star in the title role.

The report cautions that the standalone film is still in the very early stages of development and has yet-to receive the greenlight, but then again, considering that Kevin Feige himself selected Schaeffer after meeting with several candidates over the holidays and that the studio had already met with Johansson around Thanksgiving to discuss what she wanted from a potential solo venture, it probably wouldn't be a stretch to assume that the long-gestating film will be apart of Marvel's yet-to-be announced Phase 4 slate.

Schaeffer is an up-and-comer, who broke out with her Black List script for The Shower, an upcoming comedy about an alien invasion during a baby shower that has Academy Award-winner Anne Hathaway attached to star. She's also currently working on another Hathaway vehicle, Nasty Women, which is said to be a female-centric take on Dirty Rotten Scoundrels.
Unread 2018-01-12, 07:16 PM   #7
JDLM
Schutzstaffel

Post Thanks / Like

Scarlett Johansson To Reportedly Meet Soon With 'Black Widow' Movie Writer

Actress Scarlett Johansson will meet with Black Widow screenwriter Jac Schaeffer in February to discuss the Avenger's first solo outing, Variety's Justin Kroll reports.
"While Jac didn't get a chance to meet with ScarJo before she was tapped to pen BW, hearing the two are likely to sit down at the beginning of next month to talk about the film and how they see it going," Kroll wrote on Twitter.
Black Widow was announced as being in "very early" development earlier this week, but has yet to receive an official greenlight. Marvel Studios chief Kevin Feige selected Schaeffer after meeting with several writers.
Johansson, who has portrayed the super-spy-turned-superhero since 2010's Iron Man 2, met with Marvel execs to discuss development. The actress reprised the role in 2012's The Avengers, 2014's Captain America: The Winter Soldier, 2015's Avengers: Age of Ultron and 2016's Captain America: Civil War.
Recycled footage of the character appeared in Thor: Ragnarok. Johansson features in May's Avengers: Infinity War, her sixth time as the character.
Schaeffer recently penned Walt Disney Animation Studios' Olaf's Frozen Adventure. Her Dirty Rotten Scoundrels remake, comedy Nasty Women, starring Anne Hathaway and Rebel Wilson, opens in August.
Johansson and several Marvel leading ladies — Ragnarok's Tessa Thompson, Guardians of the Galaxy's Zoe Saldana, Karen Gillan, and Pom Klementieff, and Captain Marvel's Brie Larson — pitched an all-female Marvel movie to Feige, who was receptive of the idea. There are currently no announced plans for such a film.
First-time Marvel director Taika Waititi, director of Thor: Ragnarok, said in October he's open to making a Black Widow movie that would be "crazy and a bit funnier" than audiences expect.
"I really go for the underdog," Waititi explained. "I think there’s a way in with any of the characters. You just have to find it and find what honors what’s already there with the source material but also brings it into a more entertaining form for the audience."
Unread 2018-01-18, 09:49 AM   #8
JDLM
Schutzstaffel

Post Thanks / Like

This is the 'Black Widow' Solo Movie Poster We Need

If the Black Widow movie does eventually hit theaters, it needs a poster just like this.
Recent reports say that a Black Widow movie is actually in early development, and artist BossLogic decided to create a poster worthy of the fan favorite spy. He pretty much knocked it out of the park, with the silhouette of Black Widow standing atop of an actual Black Widow spider with her familiar logo.

The webs all around the background are a nice touch, and the custom movie logo at the bottom is perfect. Seriously, Marvel Studios should keep this in mind. BossLogic revealed the poster with the caption "��️#blackwidowMovie #teaser."

The report of a Black Widow movie in development surfaced last week, revealing that Marvel has chosen Jac Schaeffer to write the script.
"Sources say this is still very early development," Variety reports, "as the film has no greenlight, but naming a writer is the closest the studio has come to moving forward on a standalone pic."

Schaeffer is known for her work on TIMER, Mr. Stache, and Nasty Women, as well as her most recent script for The Shower.
Fans have expressed their interest for years in a Black Widow solo movie, especially after seeing Scarlett Johansson's performance in Captain America: Winter Soldier. She co-led the film alongside Captain America Chris Evans, and it is still one of the best films Marvel has produced.

Unread 2018-01-18, 03:18 PM   #9
JDLM
Schutzstaffel

Post Thanks / Like

Scarlett Johansson Shares Story Ideas for the ‘Black Widow’ Movie

Now that a Black Widow movie is finally a real possibility, the super spy herself has a few ideas for where the solo film can take the Marvel Cinematic Universe’s iconic female Avenger.
Scarlett Johansson, who has long deserved a solo superhero outing since she first made a splash as the character in 2010’s Iron Man 2, has some ideas for where the Black Widow movie could take the character. And she should know — by the time the movie makes it to the big screen, she’ll have played Natasha Romanoff for more than a decade.

Johansson spoke to Variety about the long-awaited Black Widow movie, and how she’s frequently discussed its development with Marvel for the past few years. “I’m invested in that character,” she said. “Marvel is greatly invested in that character. If I did it, I’d have to do it while. I still actually wanted to wear a skin-tight cat suit. I don’t know how much longer that’s going to be.”
While she seems uncertain about the timetable — Johansson will be tied up with the Avengers movies until at least 2019 — she reaffirmed that she’s committed to making the Black Widow movie. Johansson does voice some skepticism over whether she can continue to wear the “skin-tight cat suit” as she gets older, but Johansson is still only 33 — two decades younger than her fellow Avenger Robert Downey Jr., who hasn’t shown signs of wanting to shed his superhero suit yet.
The question now is: will it be an origin story or a present-day story, possibly affecting her character’s arc in Avengers 4? Johansson had some ideas:
“I would like for it to happen under the right circumstances. I think there’s a lot of opportunity to mine that story line. She’s got a really rich origins story. There’s a lot of places you can go, you can bring it back to Russia. You could explore the Widow program. There’s all kinds of stuff that you could do with it. You could really uncover the identity of who this person is, where she comes from and where she’s part of.”
” There’s plenty of back story. Or not. It could be something else. Where do the Avengers go? They are underground. What happens then? What happens after it all falls apart? There are so many ways you can go. I think it would just have to be very much like its own specific thing. It would have to have its own specific vibe. It would have been totally different than any of the other standalone films. I think if the fans wanted it enough, then it would probably become a reality.”
An origin story may end up being nixed in the wake of the upcoming release of the eerily similar Red Sparrow film starring Jennifer Lawrence as a Russian prima ballerina turned special agent. But a sleek, stylish spy movie isn’t out of the question — in fact, I think Johansson could rock an Atomic Blonde-meets-Bourne Identity type of story. I’d like to see Natasha in a suspenseful, tightly wound chase story that isolates her from the bombast of the Avengers, left with nothing but her wit and wiles.
Whatever the story will end up being, it will likely be embraced by MCU fans everywhere who have long demanded a Black Widow movie, with Marvel President Kevin Feige vaguely entertaining the idea before pushing a few more movies starring a white guy named Chris to the forefront. But the movie is officially in development with rising screenwriter Jac Schaeffer set to pen the film. Perhaps this means we can finally get a proper Black Widow toy without having to petition Hasbro each time.
Unread 2018-01-19, 03:35 PM   #10
JDLM
Schutzstaffel

Post Thanks / Like

Scarlett Johansson May Get Record-Setting Payday for Black Widow

Scarlett Johansson looks to earn a record-breaking salary for her Black Widow movie role. Johansson is one of the longest running members of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. She began her superhero career in Iron Man 2 and has appeared in five MCU movies so far. She’s already completed her role in Avengers: Infinity War and Avengers 4, but those films won’t mark the end of her MCU run either. Marvel Studios is finally moving forward with the solo Black Widow movie fans have long been asking for.
The biggest sign of intent came last week when it was revealed Jac Schaeffer is set to write the script for Black Widow. She and Johansson are set to meet in the coming weeks to discuss the film and craft the story. These developments happened without public knowledge of Johansson’s MCU contract, but she presumably extended it for this solo outing. Not only that, but Marvel is set to make her the highest paid actress.

Daily Mail exclusively reports that Johansson’s base salary for Black Widow is a record setting $25 million. This will be the biggest payday for a woman in a single film. Not only is Johansson guaranteed to take that record salary, but she reportedly has a $6M bonus in place. Said bonus will be awarded to Johansson if Black Widow earns more than $900M worldwide. That is a very high number, but according to Daily Mail‘s sources, Disney believes that the Black Widow solo film will outperform even Wonder Woman. Johansson is also reportedly working to get producer credit.

This is clearly an example of Disney putting their money where their mouth is, as it surely isn’t coincidental they would make this gesture on a non-solo movie. Johansson has consistently been a highlight in many of her MCU appearances, but those have just been supporting roles. She is more than capable of leading her own film, and Johansson has proven to be a box office draw outside of the MCU. It is easy to see why Johansson will get such a big payday, especially after the success of Wonder Woman.
Speaking of Gal Gadot’s DC solo movie, Disney looking at Black Widow as a potentially bigger film may be setting expectations too high. The MCU brand always carries a significant amount of weight at the box office, but Black Widow taking in $900M is still a high bar. None of Marvel Studios’ 2017 movies eclipsed that number, so Johansson will need her solo film to have long legs and play well overseas to possibly hit the mark. That said, Black Widow won’t be deemed a failure if it doesn’t hit $900M.
Lastly, Johansson possibly getting a producer credit could be significant too. Marvel Studios has never given an actor producing credit on one of their films. The practice is not uncommon in Hollywood, but not regularly seen in superhero films or any big blockbusters really. If Johansson does get the producer credit too, it could make for just another layer of negotiations should the studio want to continue on with some of their other A-listers.
Unread 2018-01-22, 09:35 AM   #11
JDLM
Schutzstaffel

Post Thanks / Like

Marvel's BLACK WIDOW Movie May Be Taking Aim At A 2020 Release Date

A Black Widow movie is reportedly in the works at Marvel and a new report points to the movie being released during the same year as Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3. Hit the jump for what we know so far.

According to a new report, Marvel Studios is planning to release Black Widow in 2020. The movie has only just found a screenwriter but if production were to begin next year, it's certainly feasible that it could reach us a little over two years from now. There's still no word on whether or not this could actually be a female-led team-up movie but that's now the prevailing theory among many fans.

Marvel currently has three Phase 4 movies set for release in 2020, with Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 the only one currently "confirmed" to be on the way that year by writer and director James Gunn.

That's probably coming on the May, so that leaves August and November. It's possible Doctor Strange - which came out in November 2016 - could take the latter slot, so a prime summer release for Black Widow seems feasible. We'll just have to wait and see but the signs are all pointing to the character finally getting her due on the big screen in the very near future. Are you guys excited for that?
Unread 2018-03-15, 10:29 AM   #12
JDLM
Schutzstaffel

Post Thanks / Like

Scarlett Johansson On What She Wants In A 'Black Widow' Movie

There is definitely a push amongst fans to get a Black Widow movie, and the super spy herself explained what she would like to see in it if it eventually happens.
Black Widow is played by Scarlett Johansson, who appeared alongside Captain America Chris Evans to talk all things Avengers: Infinity War. During the interview with ET the topic of a Black Widow film came up, and Johansson was asked if she would be interested in doing
"I think that there is a...(laughs) it's such a loaded question," Johansson said. "Yes, I would want to in the right context and for the film to fit where I'm at, where I am in my life. I mean I've played this character for a long time. It's been probably like 8 years or more, and so much has happened in my life, my life as a performer and happened in my life personally."
"I love playing this character, and I think there is definitely an opportunity to explore the Widow as a woman who has kind of come into her own and is making independent and active choices for herself probably for once in her life. You know she hasn't always had that possibility so if it fit that criteria then yes I would want to do it," Johansson said.

A Black Widow solo film has been the topic of discussion for some time now, and it is more than about time for one, considering Johansson kickstarted the role in Iron Man 2 and has become a pivotal part of most of the MCU movies since.
Avengers: Infinity War co-director Joe Russo happens to think there is plenty of material to make a solo film compelling.

"Yeah, we're very happy for that. I mean it's such a rich and interesting character," Joe Russo said. "There's so much to explore with a character whose history was as a villain, and you know, Scarlett does such a good job of playing that character and people are so used to that character that you forget the character's history, and so there's a lot of compelling stories to tell about someone who has a dark past."
Unread 2018-04-22, 10:53 AM   #13
JDLM
Schutzstaffel

Post Thanks / Like

AVENGERS: INFINITY WAR Co-Director Joe Russo Thinks A BLACK WIDOW Movie Is Coming

After being a part of the MCU for years, reports have been pointing to Black Widow finally getting her own film by 2020. Now, Infinity War co-director, Joe Russo, has briefly commented on that possibility.

Avengers: Infinity War is nearly here, and with its arrival fans have been treated to a steady stream of interviews with various members of the cast and crew. The latest interview sees Joe Russo, half of the film’s directing duo, answering questions alongside one of Infinity War’s producers, Trinh Tran.

Among the questions facing the director and producer were a number about the importance of having female voices in the film industry.

The female voice is very important,” Tran explained. “What’s great about working with Joe and Anthony at Marvel is that they allow those voices to be heard.” The producer also discussed more specifically the presence of female characters in the Marvel Cinematic Universe by saying heroes like Black Widow and Captain Marvel are characters that "little girls can look up to."

Following Tran's mention of Scarlett Johansson's Black Widow, the two were asked whether this means the former Russian Spy could be getting her own solo film. While the question seems to have been meant somewhat as a joke, Joe Russo did reply by simply saying, "I think it's coming."

Given the context around that question, it's entirely possible the director was simply having some fun and was merely speculating on the character's future. After all, the director has already expressed his excitement for a possible Black Widow film. However, given the director is use to answering questions like these more carefully, it's interesting that he would provide a seemingly more definitive answer about the possibility of fans a Black Widow film.
Unread 2018-04-27, 10:53 AM   #14
JDLM
Schutzstaffel

Post Thanks / Like

Black Widow

In amongst the news about Star Trek 4 hiring a female director, THR reports Deniz Gamze Erguven (Mustang), Chloe Zhao (The Rider) and Amma Asante (A United Kingdom) are just three of the directors Marvel is interviewing for the finally-actually-happening Black Widow movie.
Unread 2018-05-03, 03:45 AM   #15
JDLM
Schutzstaffel

Post Thanks / Like

Marvel Studios Has Reportedly Met With More Than 65 Directors For The Solo BLACK WIDOW Film

Just a few days ago we learned of three directors that Marvel met with for the solo Black Widow film, and now we're hearing that the list of filmmakers the studio has met with is bigger than we thought...

With the recent release of Avengers: Infinity War and the massive success of Black Panther, 2018 is already proving to be an incredibly lucrative year for Marvel. However, this hasn't stopped the studio from looking to the future.

One film currently in the works is the solo Black Widow adventure, andMarvel is actively working to move forward with the project. They’ve already enlisted Jac Schaeffer to pen the script, and just recently it was revealed that the studio met with Deniz Gamze Erguven, Chloe Zhao and Amma Asante during their search for a director.

Now, we’ve learned that Marvel has actually met with a lot more directors than that.

According to Variety’s Justin Kroll, the studio has seen “more than 65 directors” about the possibility of helming the film.

While this could be interpreted as Marvel having some trouble finding a suitable candidate, Kroll notes that the studio is being “extremely thorough.” If Marvel is indeed hoping the Black Widow film will be a bigger success than Patty Jenkins’ Wonder Woman, they're obviously going to make sure they get the best possible director for the job.
Unread 2018-05-23, 09:44 AM   #16
JDLM
Schutzstaffel

Post Thanks / Like

BLACK WIDOW Movie Reportedly Lands RED SPARROW Production Designer Maria Djurkovic

In a somewhat ironic twist, the production designer for the movie many accused or "ripping off" Black Widow has now boarded Marvel Studios' planned solo outing for the lethal Avenger. Check it out...

When the trailer for Red Sparrow hit, many fans noticed how similar the backstory of Jennifer Lawrence's lead seemed to be to Black Widow, with some going so far as accusing the spy thriller of ripping off the Marvel character.

Of course, that wasn't the case at all, and if you've watched Red Sparrow you'll know that there are only a few surface similarities. Still, something about the film's aesthetic seems to have caught Marvel's attention.

According to Omega Underground, the studio has hired Maria Djurkovic as the production designer for Black Widow. In addition to Sparrow, Djurkovic has worked on Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, The Intimation Game, and The Snowman - so it definitley sounds like Marvel has a very specific tone in mind for Natasha Romanoff's solo adventure.

No director has been announced yet, but Jac Schaeffer is writing the script. Black Widow is expected to commence production at some point next year.
Unread 2018-06-20, 03:35 PM   #17
JDLM
Schutzstaffel

Post Thanks / Like

Marvel's 'Black Widow' Movie Reportedly Considering Cate Shortland To Direct

Marvel fans have long expressed interest in seeing Black Widow get her own solo film, and it seems the studio already has a director in mind.

Scarlett Johansson's Black Widow has been a consistent presence in Marvel's cinematic universe, appearing most recently in Avengers: Infinity War. After a long wait, it seems Marvel is finally looking to put the super spy in her own film, and according to Deadline Cate Shortland is on the short list to direct.

Shortland is known best for projects like Somersault, Lore, and her most recent work in Berlin Syndrome. That film is a horror-like thriller, and while we don't expect Black Widow to carry all of that over (especially Berlin Syndrome's basic premise), it does give you a sense of how Shortland can build tension amidst picturesque backdrops. If she can bring that to the world of Black Widow, this could be a great match.

Black Widow was introduced in Iron Man 2 and has since made appearances in The Avengers, Captain America: Winter Soldier, Avengers: Age of Ultron, Captain America: Civil War, and Avengers: Infinity War. She was one of the few left standing by film's end and will reprise her role in the upcoming Avengers 4.

As for Johansson, she would love to see a Black Widow movie eventually happen, as long as the film fits well with where she is in life these days.

"I think that there is a...(laughs) it's such a loaded question," Johansson told ET. "Yes, I would want to in the right context and for the film to fit where I'm at, where I am in my life. I mean I've played this character for a long time. It's been probably like 8 years or more, and so much has happened in my life, my life as a performer and happened in my life personally."

"I love playing this character, and I think there is definitely an opportunity to explore the Widow as a woman who has kind of come into her own and is making independent and active choices for herself probably for once in her life. You know she hasn't always had that possibility so if it fit that criteria then yes I would want to do it," Johansson said.

Guess we'll just have to wait and see, but it seems it just might happen.
Unread 2018-06-21, 11:19 AM   #18
JDLM
Schutzstaffel

Post Thanks / Like

Marvel's 'Black Widow' Movie Director Short List Adds Two More Names

Marvel is currently narrowing the director field for its Scarlett Johansson Black Widow solo movie, and it seems to have arrived at three choices.

Yesterday it was reported that Cate Shortland was in the running to helm the long-awaited Black Widow solo movie, and that hasn't changed. What has changed is two additional names on that very short list. According to Deadline's sources, both Amma Asante and Maggie Betts are also in heavy consideration for the gig, who along with Shortland are the final three out of 49 contenders. All three have reportedly met with Marvel Studios Chief Kevin Feige and Black Widow herself Scarlett Johansson.

We covered Shortland's credentials yesterday, but as for Asante, she is best known for projects like Belle, a story about a mixed-race daughter of a Royal Navy Admiral, who is raised by her aristocratic uncle in 18th-century England. Her most recent project is A United Kingdom, and she has two films in production, Where Hands Touch and The Billion Dollar Spy.

Maggie Betts is best known for her 2017 film Novitiate and her 2010 documentary The Carrier. Novitiate is set in the 1960s, specifically during the era of Vatican II. It revolves around a young woman who is learning to be a nun, but she struggles with her faith, the church she is a part of and sexuality as a whole.

Either of these choices would bring something fresh and different to the MCU, and coupled with Shortland this is quite an interesting list for Marvel's super spy.

Black Widow was introduced in Iron Man 2 and has since made appearances in The Avengers, Captain America: Winter Soldier, Avengers: Age of Ultron, Captain America: Civil War, and Avengers: Infinity War. She was one of the few left standing by film's end and will reprise her role in the upcoming Avengers 4.

As for Johansson, she would love to see a Black Widow movie eventually happen, and thinks there is plenty to explore.

Unread 2018-07-02, 12:10 PM   #19
JDLM
Schutzstaffel

Post Thanks / Like

BOYS DON'T CRY Director Kimberley Peirce Is Also On The Shortlist To Helm BLACK WIDOW

Another filmmaker's name has been added to the shortlist of directors that are reportedly in the running to helm Marvel Studios' Black Widowmovie: Kimberley Peirce (Body Don't Cry, the Carrie remake)...

We've already reported on several directors that are said to have met with Marvel Studios about potentially helming the planned Black Widow movie, and now we can add another name to the shortlist.

According to entertainment reporter Jeff Sneider, Kimberley Peirce is also in the running to direct the first solo adventure for Natasha Romanoff, which will see Scarlett Johansson reprise the role of the lethal former assassin.

Peirce is best known for her harrowing debut feature Boys Don't Cry, which she followed up with Stop Loss and the more recent Carrie remake starring Chloe Grace Moretz.

Though plot details have yet to be revealed, the film is expected to be a prequel which will focus on Widow's early life before joining The Avengers.

Jeff Sneider
@TheInSneider

Add Kimberly Peirce (Boys Don't Cry) to the shortlist of possible directors for Marvel's BLACK WIDOW.
10:43 AM - Jul 2, 2018

Unread 2018-07-02, 01:18 PM   #20
JDLM
Schutzstaffel

Post Thanks / Like

Kevin Feige Comments on Daredevil in Black Widow Movie Rumors

The Black Widow movie which might be on the way won't include Marvel's Daredevil character according to Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige.

The Black Widow character in Marvel Comics has teamed up with Daredevil on several occasions, some of which are contained to New York City while others involve globetrotting adventures. None of them, however, seem to be on Feige's radar as Daredevil seems to remain on Marvel Television character who won't make the jump to the big screen.

"There are a lot of potential characters that are among that list," Feige said when asked whether or not Black Widow is officially getting her own solo film, and the rumor of Daredevil appearing in such a movie prompted him to debunk it with, "That's one I haven't heard."

The latest rumor regarding the Black Widow movie is that Cate Shortland is being eyed for the film's director gig. Shortland is best known for her efforts on Somersault, Lore, and Berlin Syndrome.

Black Widow actress Scarlett Johansson is, of course, in the camp rooting for such a film to come to life. "I think that there is a...(laughs) it's such a loaded question," Johansson told ET. "Yes, I would want to in the right context and for the film to fit where I'm at, where I am in my life. I mean I've played this character for a long time. It's been probably like 8 years or more, and so much has happened in my life, my life as a performer and happened in my life personally."
Unread 2018-07-12, 04:32 PM   #21
JDLM
Schutzstaffel

Post Thanks / Like

Marvel Hires 'Black Widow' Director

It looks like Marvel's search for a Black Widow movie director is officially complete.

Cate Shortland has been tapped to direct the upcoming Marvel Studios solo film, according to The Hollywood Reporter.
Unread 2018-07-12, 08:55 PM   #22
JDLM
Schutzstaffel

Post Thanks / Like

Marvel Hires 'Black Widow' Director

It looks like Marvel's search for a Black Widow movie director is officially complete.

Australian director Cate Shortland has been tapped to direct the upcoming Marvel Studios solo film, according to The Hollywood Reporter.

Shortland, who has been regarded as the frontrunner to direct the film, is best known for directing Berlin Syndrome and Lore. Other directors on the shortlist included Amma Asante (Belle), Maggie Betts (Noviate), Melanie Laurent (Galveston), and Kimberly Pierce (Boys Don't Cry). Marvel Studios reportedly met with 70 to 75 different directors for the project, with a female director being seen as a priority.

Shortland will be the first female director to singlehandedly direct a Marvel Studios movie. She is the second female director in the Marvel Cinematic Universe's roster, following Captain Marvel co-director Anna Boden.

The film will be written by TiMER's Jac Schaeffer, and will reportedly be a prequel set before the events of the first Avengers movie. Scarlett Johansson is expected to reprise her role as Natasha Romanoff/Black Widow.

While it's unclear how the plot will evolve from there, it sounds like Johansson already had some ideas in mind.

"It's such a loaded question," Johansson said during a recent interview. "Yes, I would want to in the right context and for the film to fit where I'm at, where I am in my life. I mean I've played this character for a long time. It's been probably like 8 years or more, and so much has happened in my life, my life as a performer and happened in my life personally."

"I love playing this character." Johansson continued. "And I think there is definitely an opportunity to explore the Widow as a woman who has kind of come into her own and is making independent and active choices for herself probably for once in her life. You know she hasn't always had that possibility so if it fit that criteria then yes I would want to do it."
4comments

Are you happy to see Shortland directing the Black Widow solo film? Let us know what you think in the comments below.
Unread 2018-07-12, 08:56 PM   #23
JDLM
Schutzstaffel

Post Thanks / Like

Marvel Reveals When 'Black Widow' Is Set

Marvel Studios knows how to preface San Diego Comic Con, and it did so this year with Black Widow. Not long ago, a new report confirmed the film has found its director, and it seems the film has figured out its setting as well.

According to The Hollywood Reporter, Marvel Studios has tapped Cate Shortland to direct the film. The report also says the solo film is looking to follow Captain Marvel and act as a prequel of sorts.

“Johansson’s Widow is reportedly set before the events of the first Avengers movie and sees the actress reprise the Russian spy-turned-super heroine,” THR writes.

So far, there are no concrete details about Black Widow out, but its director search has been of note. In the past, the president of Marvel Studios confirmed the company met with more than 65 potential directors over the project. Now, it looks like Shortland had what it took to impress the producer and his team.

Right now, it is expected that Scarlett Johansson will return to play Natasha Romanoff. The actress made her MCU debut years ago in Iron Man 2, and her take on the former Russian spy has been massively popular. To date, Johansson has reprised her role in several high-profile MCU features with her most recent appearance being in Avengers: Infinity War.

In the past, Johansson has shared her thoughts on a solo Black Widow feature.

"Yes, I would want to in the right context and for the film to fit where I'm at, where I am in my life. I mean I've played this character for a long time. It's been probably like 8 years or more, and so much has happened in my life, my life as a performer and happened in my life personally."
17comments

"I love playing this character." Johansson said. "And I think there is definitely an opportunity to explore the Widow as a woman who has kind of come into her own and is making independent and active choices for herself probably for once in her life. You know she hasn't always had that possibility so if it fit that criteria then yes I would want to do it."

What do you make of this big announcement? What do you want to see from this movie? Let me know in the comments or hit me up on Twitter @MeganPetersCB to talk all things comics and anime!
Unread 2018-09-23, 09:22 PM   #24
JDLM
Schutzstaffel

Post Thanks / Like

‘Black Widow’ Movie Synopsis Possibly Revealed

A possible synopsis for Marvel Studios’ Scarlett Johansson-led standalone Black Widow movie has surfaced online by way of subscription-based film production tracking site Production Weekly.

Following reports earlier this year Widow is set before 2012’s The Avengers, the revealed plot would place the bulk of the film’s action in 2006 — two years before the 2008-set Iron Man — with a 22-year-old Natasha Romanoff.
At birth the Black Widow (aka Natasha Romanova) is given to the KGB, which grooms her to become its ultimate operative. When the U.S.S.R. breaks up, the government tries to kill her as the action movies to present-day New York, where she is a freelance operative. The standalone film will find Romanoff living in the United States 15 years after the fall of the Soviet Union.
A Black Widow-centric fan account shared the synopsis.
Cate Shortland (Lore, Berlin Syndrome) was tapped to direct in July from a script penned by Jac Schaeffer (Olaf’s Frozen Adventure, The Hustle). Shortland’s hiring makes Black Widow the first Marvel Cinematic Universe entry to be steered by a solo female director after Anna Boden co-directed the next-up Captain Marvel with Ryan Fleck.
Johansson, who has portrayed the deadly former S.H.I.E.L.D. agent since 2010’s Iron Man 2, met with Marvel executives earlier this year to discuss development. The actress reprised the part in The Avengers before playing integral roles in 2014’s Captain America: The Winter Soldier, 2015’s Avengers: Age of Ultron, and 2016’s Captain America: Civil War.

She most recently returned as Black Widow, now one of Captain America’s (Chris Evans) on-the-run “Secret Avengers,” in this summer’s Avengers: Infinity War. After adopting a dyed-blonde disguise in the crossover event film, May’s Avengers 4 sees the fan-favorite superheroine return to a more classic look with her traditional red hair.
Widow will take on a bigger role in the Infinity War sequel, which finds Natasha and Steve Rogers “hardened” by the devastating events of the previous film.

“In Winter Soldier, what we found so compelling about pairing [Black Widow] up with Captain America was that he is a service paragon of morality and she is a paragon of gray,” director Joe Russo told Wired.

“But they’ve grown together and I think when you find them in [Infinity War] and they’ve been the Secret Avengers for two years because they’re being hunted by Ross and the government, they’re like a tight-knit family now — her, Sam Wilson, and Steve Rogers.”

Come Avengers 4, set at least a decade-plus after her first solo outing, Natasha has been “hardened” even further — adding to the red in her ledger.

“You can’t go on the run without it affecting you emotionally, so I think all of those characters — specifically the ones who survived Infinity War, Cap and Natasha — you will see them with a much much harder edge,” Russo said.
Unread 2018-09-24, 10:15 AM   #25
JDLM
Schutzstaffel

Post Thanks / Like

BLACK WIDOW Movie Starring Scarlett Johansson Rumored To Include The Y2K Virus

According to a new report, Marvel Studios' Black Widow movie is set to include the Y2K virus, something which may give us an idea of when this adventure will be set. Hit the jump for additional details...

While a possible synopsis for Black Widow started doing the rounds earlier today, we now have a very interesting story which sheds some light on what direction this solo adventure for the character could be heading in. Apparently, we're going to be returning to the 1990s (a decade both Black Panther and next year's Captain Marvel have visited) as the plot will include the Y2K virus which everyone was fretting about back in 1999 before it quickly became apparent that hitting 2000 was no big deal.

It's previously been reported that Black Widow will take place both during Natasha's younger days and when she was recruited by S.H.I.E.L.D. a few years before the events of Iron Man 2 and given what we know about her, that would make the villain turned hero roughly 16 when the Millennium arrived (Marvel Studios could hire a younger actress or use CGI to make Johansson look that much younger).

It's also mentioned that we should expect to see either The Winter Soldier or Hawkeye in the movie. That doesn't mean both won't have a role to play but it sounds like one of them is pretty much confirmed as of right now. The Y2K bug being a real thing that Natasha stops from happening to avoid another Cold War would be very interesting but it's pointed out that this is just one part of the plot, not what the entire movie revolves around. What do you guys think? As always, sound off below.