Mirror Finish Polishing ~ 1-816-529-6089 ~ sales@mirrorfinishpolishing.com ~ mirrorfinishpolishing.com For the best rate on home, auto, life or business/commercial insurance call me at 888-959-0955, cell 636-734-1310 or bricehazelwood@weiss-ins.com. Never Done Garage - donewhenimdead.com Peerless Automotive Reconditioning - 1155 W. Dennis Ave, Olathe Ks, 66061 - 913-893-1201 Mark H. Epstein ~ The Epstein Law Firm, LLC ~ 913-396-5123 Wilkes Automotive ~ wilkesautomotive.com ~ 246 Marion St, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ 913-254-7171 Skandalous Inc ~ www.skandalousinc.com DIY Auto Repair Inc ~ www.diyautorepairkc.com ~ 11509 Strangline Rd, Olathe KS 66062 ~ 913-226-3806 Your advertisement here! The Law Offices of Jeremiah Johnson, LLC ~ 104 E. Poplar, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ (913)764-5010 ~ www.kcatty.com - www.johnsoncountydui.com ~ jeremiah@kcatty.com Santa Fe Body, Inc ~ 8717 Lenexa Drive, Overland Park, KS 66214 ~ (913) 894-6090 House of Boost LLC Nude? HouseofHID.com - The #1 source for HID The Print Shop KC 816.200.6694 or Ryan@RMD-Photography.com the art of tyleR ~ http://tyleR.bigcartel.com ~ TYLERcoey.com ~ MUTTtoy.com ~ MUTTtoy@gmail.com W-K Chevrolet Buick Pontiac Cadillac GMC ~ 3310 W. Broadway, Sedalia, MO 65301 ~ 800-382-5088 ~ Cell 660-553-8928 ~ dustin@wkchevy.com ~ www.wkchevy.com

Go Back   KCSR - THE Kansas City Forum > General Forums > Politics, Religion, Current Events

Unread 2018-03-13, 01:58 PM   #1
phreakdna

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 158
Thanks (Received): 115
Likes (Given): 393
Likes (Received): 632
Dislikes (Given): 8
Dislikes (Received): 36
Default Next Time You Think About Believing the President on Economic Matters

Next time you think about believing the President on economic matters based on research his administration provides? Remember this is one of his top economic advisors and is someone being floated to replace Gary Cohn...

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...the-rise-again
Quote:
This is the president’s vision. My function, really, as an economist is to try to provide the underlying analytics that confirm his intuition. And his intuition is always right in these matters...
what the actual fuck?!?
your function as an economist is to simply try to find research to confirm what someone that's already gone through multiple bankrupcties and has more failed businesses than hairs left on his head, thought to begin with based on intuition?

its a good thing that Obama passed these clowns such a strong economy... I just hope that we're not essentially riding a nation-level bitcoin ramp up where people are just so excited that a Republican President and Congress are just going to bend over for the business community like usual that they aren't paying attention to the fact that the emperor has no clothes and his advisors openly admit to being sycophantic toadies.
Our progress in degeneracy appears to me to be pretty rapid. As a nation, we began by declaring that ”all men are created equal.” We now practically read it “all men are created equal, except negroes” When the Know-Nothings get control, it will read “all men are created equal, except negroes, and foreigners, and Catholics.” When it comes to this I should prefer emigrating to some country where they make no pretence of loving liberty -- to Russia, for instance, where despotism can be taken pure, and without the base alloy of hypocricy. - Lincoln
phreakdna is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 2018-03-13, 02:17 PM   #2
jwdb1fish

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 33
Thanks (Received): 466
Likes (Given): 48
Likes (Received): 3977
Dislikes (Given): 7
Dislikes (Received): 124

Quote:
Originally Posted by phreakdna View Post
Next time you think about believing the President on economic matters based on research his administration provides? Remember this is one of his top economic advisors and is someone being floated to replace Gary Cohn...

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...the-rise-again

what the actual fuck?!?
your function as an economist is to simply try to find research to confirm what someone that's already gone through multiple bankrupcties and has more failed businesses than hairs left on his head, thought to begin with based on intuition?

its a good thing that Obama passed these clowns such a strong economy... I just hope that we're not essentially riding a nation-level bitcoin ramp up where people are just so excited that a Republican President and Congress are just going to bend over for the business community like usual that they aren't paying attention to the fact that the emperor has no clothes and his advisors openly admit to being sycophantic toadies.

Well since he crunched the numbers and confirmed that the president’s intuition is in fact accurate, then I don’t see the issue.
Unread 2018-03-13, 02:22 PM   #3
DIYAutoRepair
**Sponsor**

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 25
Thanks (Received): 194
Likes (Given): 71
Likes (Received): 1335
Dislikes (Given): 1
Dislikes (Received): 25

Quote:
I have no idea what world you live in since everything it the quote is inaccurate.
Visit us at http://diyautorepairkc.com/
or call (913) 226-3806

Favorite car from the past (73 Pinto)
DIYAutoRepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2018-03-13, 03:22 PM   #4
phreakdna

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwdb1fish View Post
Well since he crunched the numbers and confirmed that the president’s intuition is in fact accurate, then I don’t see the issue.
stop reading what you want it to say. the words from his own mouth describe a person who openly admits his role is to start with a conclusion and then work backwards regardless of what's actually correct in order to "prove" that initial assumption "correct".

that's not oh well Trump said X and, wouldn't you know it, I objectively looked for the correct answer and it actually happened to be X...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIYAutoRepair View Post
I have no idea what world you live in since everything it the quote is inaccurate.
given that you don't recognize the factual world that anyone else is living in 95% of the time, I'm going to take your lack of recognition as a good thing. let's call it "agree to disagree"
Our progress in degeneracy appears to me to be pretty rapid. As a nation, we began by declaring that ”all men are created equal.” We now practically read it “all men are created equal, except negroes” When the Know-Nothings get control, it will read “all men are created equal, except negroes, and foreigners, and Catholics.” When it comes to this I should prefer emigrating to some country where they make no pretence of loving liberty -- to Russia, for instance, where despotism can be taken pure, and without the base alloy of hypocricy. - Lincoln
Unread 2018-03-13, 03:50 PM   #5
jwdb1fish

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
stop reading what you want it to say. the words from his own mouth describe a person who openly admits his role is to start with a conclusion and then work backwards regardless of what's actually correct in order to "prove" that initial assumption "correct".
Can you show me where he said that?

It sounds like you should maybe take your own advice from that first sentence.
jwdb1fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2018-03-13, 04:00 PM   #6
phreakdna

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Can you show me where he said that?
It sounds like you should maybe take your own advice from that first sentence.
Quote:
My function, really, as an economist is to try to provide the underlying analytics that confirm his intuition
not to "provide the underlying analytics whether or not they confirm his intuition" but to go find things that happen to maybe show his intuition is correct so long as you ignore all of the other things that don't confirm his intuition.
Unread 2018-03-13, 04:22 PM   #7
jwdb1fish

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
not to "provide the underlying analytics whether or not they confirm his intuition" but to go find things that happen to maybe show his intuition is correct so long as you ignore all of the other things that don't confirm his intuition.

You’re reading what you want it to say.

He clearly states that “his intuition is always right in these matters”. Just take that at face value instead of trying to spin it to confirm your bias.
Unread 2018-03-13, 04:39 PM   #8
shaun y
Mr 49er

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 164
Thanks (Received): 142
Likes (Given): 3421
Likes (Received): 1009
Dislikes (Given): 187
Dislikes (Received): 144

trump has never been to a real college yet he understands the intricate nuance on international economics better than actual economists... right, and my name is big dick billy.
Unread 2018-03-13, 04:51 PM   #9
jwdb1fish

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaun y View Post
trump has never been to a real college yet he understands the intricate nuance on international economics better than actual economists... right, and my name is big dick billy.

Decades of real world business experience > 5-7 years of formal education
Unread 2018-03-13, 04:59 PM   #10
phreakdna

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Decades of real world business experience > 5-7 years of formal education
while I'll cop to him having been to college (Fordham and Wharton), his decades of real world business experience mean fuckall to macroeconomics. Trump went from fucking over contractors from New Jersey and partnering with hucksters to fuck over poor people to the big boy stage of world politics... in the same way that being an economist for decades doesn't mean that someone would make a good business owner, it doesn't work in reverse either...

this is not a proper plan:
1. US sells its "brand" to shady assholes to paint big American flags on their shitty products
2. US defaults on its debts and dares the world to deal with our lawyers to collect
3. ???
4. Profit!

so no, his "business model" doesn't really work for us as a country

Last edited by phreakdna; 2018-03-13 at 05:01 PM..
Unread 2018-03-14, 07:12 AM   #11
jwdb1fish

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
while I'll cop to him having been to college (Fordham and Wharton), his decades of real world business experience mean fuckall to macroeconomics. Trump went from fucking over contractors from New Jersey and partnering with hucksters to fuck over poor people to the big boy stage of world politics... in the same way that being an economist for decades doesn't mean that someone would make a good business owner, it doesn't work in reverse either...

this is not a proper plan:
1. US sells its "brand" to shady assholes to paint big American flags on their shitty products
2. US defaults on its debts and dares the world to deal with our lawyers to collect
3. ???
4. Profit!

so no, his "business model" doesn't really work for us as a country

Do you have a specific policy that you are griping about here, or is this just a preemptive strike on a policy that you just believe in your heart of hearts is going to suck....once it's been crafted....at some point?

Maybe I missed where Trump enacted the "business model" you laid out above.
Unread 2018-03-14, 08:29 AM   #12
mild83

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 938
Thanks (Received): 339
Likes (Given): 6470
Likes (Received): 2771
Dislikes (Given): 133
Dislikes (Received): 137

Shaun y is an economist.

That's all I really need to say on that.

Also, dude went to Wharton.
mild83 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 2018-03-14, 11:07 AM   #13
phreakdna

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Do you have a specific policy that you are griping about here, or is this just a preemptive strike on a policy that you just believe in your heart of hearts is going to suck....once it's been crafted....at some point?
this was more about how fucking dumb this WH and administration are and them openly admitting it.

but if you want a specific policy? its like how people like me were told that the tax cuts were a good idea that would help out workers not just help out companies and high income earners... except
http://money.cnn.com/2018/02/16/inve...ses/index.html
Quote:
American companies have lavished Wall Street with $171 billion of stock buyback announcements so far this year...
It's the largest ever -- and nothing has really changed, except the tax law...
...the amount of money allocated so far on bonuses and wage hikes pales in comparison with Wall Street's buyback bonanza.
S&P 500 companies have devoted about $5.6 billion to bonuses and wage hikes because of the tax law...
Bank of America recently predicted that S&P 500 companies will use repatriated foreign profits to buy back about $450 billion of stock...
so yeah, we had a Republican Congress and a WH that sold us a bill of goods and some people ate it up because they got to see an additional $50/week before taxes despite the fact that what it really was is a corporate giveaway on the tab of the American gov't & people. it was sold using models from clowns like Peter Navarro so yes, this is about policies already in place and ones in the future since Trump is trying to develop a cult of personality instead of getting people that actually know what they're doing and care about what's true vs what Trump says is true (which is oddly almost always different).

Quote:
Maybe I missed where Trump enacted the "business model" you laid out above.
that's literally been his business model for 20 years. its why no bank outside of Deutsche Bank (that is used to dealing with drug lords) would do business with him.
Unread 2018-03-14, 08:20 PM   #14
shaun y
Mr 49er

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 164
Thanks (Received): 142
Likes (Given): 3421
Likes (Received): 1009
Dislikes (Given): 187
Dislikes (Received): 144

how about the stupid fucking steel tariffs? how about the stupid isolation and protectionist bullshit?

i don't give a shit what college his dad paid to give his a degree for doing fuckall, dude is a fucking dolt, nothing more than a huckster who was born into extreme wealth and uses his lack of morals as a way to make profit.

i will continue to push my masters degree (and bachelors degree) in economics to the side though so that jw and mild can tell me why they are more competent than i am about this shit
Unread 2018-03-15, 06:40 AM   #15
mild83

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
how about the stupid fucking steel tariffs? how about the stupid isolation and protectionist bullshit?

i don't give a shit what college his dad paid to give his a degree for doing fuckall, dude is a fucking dolt, nothing more than a huckster who was born into extreme wealth and uses his lack of morals as a way to make profit.

i will continue to push my masters degree (and bachelors degree) in economics to the side though so that jw and mild can tell me why they are more competent than i am about this shit
I don't think the steel tariff is the end game. It's how he works. 100/0. Go from there. He may be talking checkers, but he's playing chess. Weird where the NK situation is currently.
Unread 2018-03-15, 07:00 AM   #16
jwdb1fish

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:

Since you want to personalize this.....let me get this straight. You spent a pile of money on a bachelor's AND a master's degree in economics, only to net a ROI of a teacher's salary.

What a grand example of economic savvy.
Unread 2018-03-15, 11:18 AM   #17
mild83

Post Thanks / Like

Economists are nothing more than snake oil salesmen when trying to forecast financial pictures. It's like buying a weight loss pill, "if x,y,z occur, 1, 2, 3, are possible", it's rooted almost exclusively in theory, once you get past the very basic, logical tenets (production has costs, production precedes consumption, etc).
Unread 2018-03-15, 12:43 PM   #18
Oblique

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 39
Thanks (Received): 128
Likes (Given): 160
Likes (Received): 752
Dislikes (Received): 26

Anyone who believes a single thing Trump says at this point is just delusional and in complete denial, to the point of being proud of it, just like Trump himself. The man just admitted he has no idea what he's talking about yet he's so sure of his "gut" that he thinks this makes him smarter than everyone else. He is out of touch with reality. The fact that this doesn't scare the shit out of people is terrifying to me. He is a black hole of arrogance which leads to self destruction and he'll take us down with him.

https://news.vice.com/en_us/article/...r-canada-trade

Quote:
Trump called Trudeau “a good guy,” a “nice guy,” and a “good-looking guy” before mimicking the Canadian leader: “He said, ‘No, no, we have no trade deficit with you, we have none. Donald, please. Donald, we have no trade deficit.’” Trump then told Trudeau he was wrong, before admitting to the donors “I didn’t even know. I had no idea. I just said, ‘you’re wrong.’ You know why? Because we’re so stupid.” According to the Office of the United States Trade Representative, the U.S. has a trade surplus with Canada.
Unread 2018-03-15, 12:51 PM   #19
jwdb1fish

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by mild83 View Post
Economists are nothing more than snake oil salesmen when trying to forecast financial pictures. It's like buying a weight loss pill, "if x,y,z occur, 1, 2, 3, are possible", it's rooted almost exclusively in theory, once you get past the very basic, logical tenets (production has costs, production precedes consumption, etc).

Shaun Y giving economics advice is like Phreak trying to educate us on his experiences as a trial lawyer.

Well educated, but diddly squat as far as experience goes.
Unread 2018-03-15, 01:14 PM   #20
phreakdna

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Shaun Y giving economics advice is like Phreak trying to educate us on his experiences as a trial lawyer.
I look forward to you complete silence on anything that doesn't involve the restaurant industry...

and since you clearly have trouble with analogies? what you meant to say is "Shaun Y giving economics advice is like Phreak trying to tell us how to speak French, discuss political theory, or dissect laws and court cases."

since its what both were trained for. the fact that you think being a trial lawyer is the professional job you're "supposed" to get after law school shows just how little you understand about law school.
but hey I'll give you an honorary associates for your repeated (and amazingly transparent) attempts to distract from the fact that you are out of your depth in an argument...
Unread 2018-03-15, 01:42 PM   #21
mild83

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:

Don't you have burgers to flip somewhere?
Unread 2018-03-15, 02:55 PM   #22
jwdb1fish

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
I look forward to you complete silence on anything that doesn't involve the restaurant industry...

and since you clearly have trouble with analogies? what you meant to say is "Shaun Y giving economics advice is like Phreak trying to tell us how to speak French, discuss political theory, or dissect laws and court cases."

since its what both were trained for. the fact that you think being a trial lawyer is the professional job you're "supposed" to get after law school shows just how little you understand about law school.
but hey I'll give you an honorary associates for your repeated (and amazingly transparent) attempts to distract from the fact that you are out of your depth in an argument...

Once again, your dense is showing.

You guys keep trying to discredit a successful business man, and specifically with Shaun I think just about any reasonable person would rather take business advice from Trump than the resident KCSR troll.

Maybe my lawyer analogy could have been a little better 😀

I was going to invite you out for drinks with Yorkbird and I in a week or so when I get back into town, but if this is how you’re going to act I might have to rescind the invite
Unread 2018-03-15, 02:56 PM   #23
jwdb1fish

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by mild83 View Post
Don't you have burgers to flip somewhere?

I’m in KC today and tomorrow, and we could have done better in this building anticipating the crowd for the KU game.

No burger flipping today. Just pouring beers
Unread 2018-03-15, 03:21 PM   #24
Ricerking13

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oblique View Post
Anyone who believes a single thing Trump says at this point is just delusional and in complete denial, to the point of being proud of it, just like Trump himself. The man just admitted he has no idea what he's talking about yet he's so sure of his "gut" that he thinks this makes him smarter than everyone else. He is out of touch with reality. The fact that this doesn't scare the shit out of people is terrifying to me. He is a black hole of arrogance which leads to self destruction and he'll take us down with him.

https://news.vice.com/en_us/article/...r-canada-trade
Agreed. We had a hundred examples of this... but for him to say it himself... wowzers. What a damn tool.
Unread 2018-03-15, 05:13 PM   #25
phreakdna

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
You guys keep trying to discredit a successful business man, and specifically with Shaun I think just about any reasonable person would rather take business advice from Trump than the resident KCSR troll.
meh... from what we're learning about his business practices of the past twenty years, I don't know that any of it applies to people with any moral fiber or desire to avoid prison. from what I can tell based on reading, he was a solid developer in the 80s because NY was still fairly mobbed up and dirty as fuck... since then those elements have been pushed to the fringe which is why he's resorted to trading on his name alone instead of doing real projects in the US. if he really was a good business man, what the fuck is he doing hocking Trump Vodka, Steaks and Water? why would be allow his name to be drug through the mud to fuck over a bunch of yokels who thought they could "learn from a successful businessman"? and you don't have to take my word for it... this was essentially the entirely logical and never refuted argument that Cuban was making.
Quote:
Maybe my lawyer analogy could have been a little better 😀
damnit man... stop being reasonable... you're destroying my mental caricature...
Quote:
I was going to invite you out for drinks with Yorkbird and I in a week or so when I get back into town, but if this is how you’re going to act I might have to rescind the invite
aww wtf? I'm good at drinking.