Mirror Finish Polishing ~ 1-816-529-6089 ~ sales@mirrorfinishpolishing.com ~ mirrorfinishpolishing.com For the best rate on home, auto, life or business/commercial insurance call me at 888-959-0955, cell 636-734-1310 or bricehazelwood@weiss-ins.com. Never Done Garage - donewhenimdead.com Peerless Automotive Reconditioning - 1155 W. Dennis Ave, Olathe Ks, 66061 - 913-893-1201 Mark H. Epstein ~ The Epstein Law Firm, LLC ~ 913-396-5123 Wilkes Automotive ~ wilkesautomotive.com ~ 246 Marion St, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ 913-254-7171 Skandalous Inc ~ www.skandalousinc.com DIY Auto Repair Inc ~ www.diyautorepairkc.com ~ 11509 Strangline Rd, Olathe KS 66062 ~ 913-226-3806 Your advertisement here! The Law Offices of Jeremiah Johnson, LLC ~ 104 E. Poplar, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ (913)764-5010 ~ www.kcatty.com - www.johnsoncountydui.com ~ jeremiah@kcatty.com Santa Fe Body, Inc ~ 8717 Lenexa Drive, Overland Park, KS 66214 ~ (913) 894-6090 House of Boost LLC Nude? HouseofHID.com - The #1 source for HID The Print Shop KC 816.200.6694 or Ryan@RMD-Photography.com the art of tyleR ~ http://tyleR.bigcartel.com ~ TYLERcoey.com ~ MUTTtoy.com ~ MUTTtoy@gmail.com W-K Chevrolet Buick Pontiac Cadillac GMC ~ 3310 W. Broadway, Sedalia, MO 65301 ~ 800-382-5088 ~ Cell 660-553-8928 ~ dustin@wkchevy.com ~ www.wkchevy.com

Go Back   KCSR - THE Kansas City Forum > General Forums > Business, Finance

Unread 2017-07-10, 09:35 AM   #1
Rob

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 168
Thanks (Received): 147
Likes (Given): 825
Likes (Received): 844
Dislikes (Given): 12
Dislikes (Received): 23
Default Cerner CEO Neal Patterson Dead at 67

https://www.forbes.com/forbes/welcom...ww.google.com/
Unread 2017-07-10, 09:44 AM   #2
Scooby24
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 46
Thanks (Received): 686
Likes (Given): 327
Likes (Received): 3938
Dislikes (Given): 27
Dislikes (Received): 40

Saw him in November at the last Cerner Health Conference and he looked pretty bad then. Soft tissue cancer treatment left his face pretty scarred and he was extremely thin compared to his prior weight. He spoke optimistically but the whole auditorium was choking back tears. Poor guy...he may not have been the kindest man, but he had a significant and permanent impact on our industry, and has forever impacted my life.
Likes Rob liked this post
Scooby24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-07-10, 10:28 AM   #3
BuddyLee

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 24
Thanks (Received): 254
Likes (Given): 60
Likes (Received): 1912
Dislikes (Given): 4
Dislikes (Received): 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby24 View Post
Saw him in November at the last Cerner Health Conference and he looked pretty bad then. Soft tissue cancer treatment left his face pretty scarred and he was extremely thin compared to his prior weight. He spoke optimistically but the whole auditorium was choking back tears. Poor guy...he may not have been the kindest man, but he had a significant and permanent impact on our industry, and has forever impacted my life.
He wasn't a kind man?

BuddyLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-07-10, 10:29 AM   #4
mild83

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 888
Thanks (Received): 323
Likes (Given): 6202
Likes (Received): 2678
Dislikes (Given): 127
Dislikes (Received): 127

SCOOBY is a snowflake and probably took umbrage with his email from 2001.
Unread 2017-07-10, 10:45 AM   #5
Scooby24
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by mild83 View Post
SCOOBY is a snowflake and probably took umbrage with his email from 2001.
This was the last uncalled for troll I'm tolerating from you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyLee View Post
He wasn't a kind man?
Early on in my career at Cerner we had town halls and a big point of contention for folks was the parking situation at WHQ where we were having to get shuttled in from the riverport campus which added 15-30 minutes onto our commute. Neal would throw footballs to people and if you caught one you had to ask a question and one person brought up this concern and asked about the plans for parking in the future. Neal's response was...not kind. In every town hall I recall, we all walked away from Neal's updates feeling like we were getting scolded by a parent for not doing enough.

Working initially in the resource center we had to deliver equipment to his floor in the 2800 building and my coworkers had lots of stories of conversations on the elevators where employees were grilled on their performance and contributions and the message was always what are you doing for the company which is not how people wanted to be treated.

These impressions were common among most people early on in their careers when Neal had a bigger role in the company. As time went on and Neal had lesser of a role aside from his public image, perceptions began to change since the only side folks saw of him is the side he wanted to show.
Thanks Rob thanked for this post

Last edited by Scooby24; 2017-07-10 at 10:47 AM..
Scooby24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-07-10, 10:55 AM   #6
BuddyLee

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 24
Thanks (Received): 254
Likes (Given): 60
Likes (Received): 1912
Dislikes (Given): 4
Dislikes (Received): 35

Quote:

Early on in my career at Cerner we had town halls and a big point of contention for folks was the parking situation at WHQ where we were having to get shuttled in from the riverport campus which added 15-30 minutes onto our commute. Neal would throw footballs to people and if you caught one you had to ask a question and one person brought up this concern and asked about the plans for parking in the future. Neal's response was...not kind. In every town hall I recall, we all walked away from Neal's updates feeling like we were getting scolded by a parent for not doing enough.

Working initially in the resource center we had to deliver equipment to his floor in the 2800 building and my coworkers had lots of stories of conversations on the elevators where employees were grilled on their performance and contributions and the message was always what are you doing for the company which is not how people wanted to be treated.

These impressions were common among most people early on in their careers when Neal had a bigger role in the company. As time went on and Neal had lesser of a role aside from his public image, perceptions began to change since the only side folks saw of him is the side he wanted to show.
Always interesting to hear stories from the inside. While there is no arguing that he built an amazing company and has done a lot for Kansas City, it sounds like had he been a kinder person, he could have left an even brighter legacy behind.

BuddyLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-07-10, 11:01 AM   #7
Rob

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 168
Thanks (Received): 147
Likes (Given): 825
Likes (Received): 844
Dislikes (Received): 23

Quote:

I've been here for a few years now and you are correct. It was extremely rare for associates to run into him at any campus. Even the team that supports executives never saw him and they work 20 feet from his office. From what I understand he would work mostly remotely.
Unread 2017-07-10, 12:43 PM   #8
Ryan Stewart
Mr. Plow

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:

We (Perceptive) got a lot of people from Cerner with similar stories. They would really sell the modern software company angle for recruiting but really work people hard once they got you in, including a lot of pressure on deferring PTO and whatnot.
Unread 2017-07-10, 03:47 PM   #9
69Mach351

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 259
Thanks (Received): 229
Likes (Given): 1778
Likes (Received): 1696
Dislikes (Given): 37
Dislikes (Received): 44

Like most people here, I haven't heard much good about upper management/culture there. The handful of people I know that went there after, or shortly after school, went there to get their feet wet, make some decent money for their inexperience at the time, and left to be treated better. I think I only know one that has been there since he graduated (roughly 10 years).
69Mach351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-07-10, 04:11 PM   #10
impaul4

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 23
Thanks (Received): 116
Likes (Given): 154
Likes (Received): 911
Dislikes (Received): 9

My wife's dad was badge number 660. They go in sequential order and he was at one of the first town halls back when the company was so small they could fit in the WHQ gym.

He simply asked about the associate survey since they never brought it up at the TH and it was the first one ever done. Neal said "apparently everyone doesn't like working here" and went on about it and how bad it was .

Her Dad was put on a probation plan the next week.
I guess people are doing anything for a quick buck these days. If I wanna vacuum my house butt naked while listening to Darude - Sandstorm with the blinds open, I should be able to without people OUTSIDE giving a fuck.
impaul4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-07-10, 04:12 PM   #11
impaul4

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 23
Thanks (Received): 116
Likes (Given): 154
Likes (Received): 911
Dislikes (Received): 9

I will say though. The last about 5 years or so, I truly feel like Cerner was driven by personal reasons rather than financial. Sure they made money and have investors to think about. But I really feel like Neal was trying to make a change and was driving the company from his heart and not his wallet.
I guess people are doing anything for a quick buck these days. If I wanna vacuum my house butt naked while listening to Darude - Sandstorm with the blinds open, I should be able to without people OUTSIDE giving a fuck.
impaul4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-07-10, 04:15 PM   #12
jwdb1fish

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 32
Thanks (Received): 443
Likes (Given): 38
Likes (Received): 3799
Dislikes (Given): 7
Dislikes (Received): 121

I don't know.

I mean there's no way I'd choose to stay employed somewhere if the culture was that sketch, but...

Is it smart if you know how the guy is, and then choose to ignore what I would assume are layer upon layer of management between you and the CEO to call him out on a touchy subject in a town hall setting?

Not too bright of a career move in that environment as you all describe it.
Unread 2017-07-10, 04:16 PM   #13
Scooby24
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by impaul4 View Post
I will say though. The last about 5 years or so, I truly feel like Cerner was driven by personal reasons rather than financial. Sure they made money and have investors to think about. But I really feel like Neal was trying to make a change and was driving the company from his heart and not his wallet.
That was also the impression I had. Since Jeannie's fight with cancer, it was like he was really wanting to drive change for the patients' sake.
Unread 2017-07-14, 07:18 PM   #14
Billy Mild

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 113
Thanks (Received): 72
Likes (Given): 2496
Likes (Received): 577
Dislikes (Given): 83
Dislikes (Received): 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
I've been here for a few years now and you are correct. It was extremely rare for associates to run into him at any campus. Even the team that supports executives never saw him and they work 20 feet from his office. From what I understand he would work mostly remotely.
He lived on a private island down off the coast of Florida. He used to bitch about how he got no Sprint signal leaving his house. He called Dan Hesse over at Sprint at the time to get that fixed. The issue was no one was allowed to build a cell phone tower on the island. Pretty cool.

Other than his lashing out he changed the industry.

Now on another note, if you work for Big C and make any kind of comment on this board it will be flagged and an HR sitdown will follow. Ask me how I know about that. lulz.
1991 Corvette ZR-1 #1599 of 2,044 airlid mod
2016 RAM 1500-Roll coal
1986 Yamaha RZ350-blown up
1971 Yamaha AT1c-In the middle of restoration
Billy Mild is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-07-14, 08:11 PM   #15
Scooby24
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

You're welcome for that! I surfed this site so often from there that it probably got flagged as a permanently monitored forum.