Mirror Finish Polishing ~ 1-816-529-6089 ~ sales@mirrorfinishpolishing.com ~ mirrorfinishpolishing.com For the best rate on home, auto, life or business/commercial insurance call me at 888-959-0955, cell 636-734-1310 or bricehazelwood@weiss-ins.com. Never Done Garage - donewhenimdead.com Peerless Automotive Reconditioning - 1155 W. Dennis Ave, Olathe Ks, 66061 - 913-893-1201 Mark H. Epstein ~ The Epstein Law Firm, LLC ~ 913-396-5123 Wilkes Automotive ~ wilkesautomotive.com ~ 246 Marion St, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ 913-254-7171 Skandalous Inc ~ www.skandalousinc.com DIY Auto Repair Inc ~ www.diyautorepairkc.com ~ 11509 Strangline Rd, Olathe KS 66062 ~ 913-226-3806 Your advertisement here! The Law Offices of Jeremiah Johnson, LLC ~ 104 E. Poplar, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ (913)764-5010 ~ www.kcatty.com - www.johnsoncountydui.com ~ jeremiah@kcatty.com Santa Fe Body, Inc ~ 8717 Lenexa Drive, Overland Park, KS 66214 ~ (913) 894-6090 House of Boost LLC Nude? HouseofHID.com - The #1 source for HID The Print Shop KC 816.200.6694 or Ryan@RMD-Photography.com the art of tyleR ~ http://tyleR.bigcartel.com ~ TYLERcoey.com ~ MUTTtoy.com ~ MUTTtoy@gmail.com W-K Chevrolet Buick Pontiac Cadillac GMC ~ 3310 W. Broadway, Sedalia, MO 65301 ~ 800-382-5088 ~ Cell 660-553-8928 ~ dustin@wkchevy.com ~ www.wkchevy.com

Go Back   KCSR - THE Kansas City Forum > General Forums > Fitness and Health

Unread 2014-09-12, 07:14 PM   #1
Protege94

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 10
Thanks (Received): 28
Likes (Given): 16
Likes (Received): 98
Dislikes (Given): 0
Dislikes (Received): 20
Default Fitness Trackers/Monitors

I have been looking at buying a fitness tracker but am looking for some first hand experiences.

So far I have been looking at the following:

Garmin Vivofit
FitBit
Nike Fuel
Jawbone

All of them have pros and cons in my eyes. I have listed them in the order of how they rank so far from what I have read and seen in video reviews.

If you have any experience with any of the four listed I would love to hear your thoughts. Thanks.

1998 Civic EX
Protege94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2014-09-23, 11:06 PM   #2
SC/TGrandAm

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 71
Thanks (Received): 59
Likes (Given): 594
Likes (Received): 425
Dislikes (Given): 99
Dislikes (Received): 12

I have the Polar Loop and like it, but in the same breath I will say they are pretty much a waste of money.

They don't do much, but the main reason I got one was to push myself to do more. I look at the step counter daily and I know that I walk more steps daily now than I did before I got this thing so that is a plus.

I use it to push myself to go further when jogging. For example: let's say I'm at 9,500 steps today when I finish jogging. I push myself to round up to 10,000 rather than go home like I normally would. If you allow it to push you to do more than it's worth the investment, otherwise they are pretty worthless IMO.

That's about all I use it for. Mine also tracks sleep, which is pretty cool and seems fairly accurate too. Integrates with an App and you can see every time you wake up at night and your quality of sleep.

The Alliance has formed: Accords, Alcoholism, and Awesome.

SC/TGrandAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2014-09-25, 02:52 PM   #3
69Mach351

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 262
Thanks (Received): 234
Likes (Given): 1794
Likes (Received): 1701
Dislikes (Given): 37
Dislikes (Received): 44

I had the nike fuelband. Worthless IMO. It just basically tracked movement of your hand. Nothing more, nothing less.

My coworker has the fitbit and it seems to be a lot better. It will track movement, sleep patterns, etc. For the money, I would go this route if I were to get another one.

Overall, I don't really care for them. We had a competition so I had the nike one, but in reality, the only thing that matters is that you are moving around.
69Mach351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2014-09-25, 03:07 PM   #4
speedysweetie
Mafia Queen

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 33
Thanks (Received): 26
Likes (Given): 176
Likes (Received): 159
Dislikes (Received): 1

I have a FitBit Zip, but if I had known about the Polar Loop coming out, I would've gone that route. I use a Heart Rate Monitor when I workout (specifically the Polar brand one). The Loop can sync with their bluetooth HRM so that you don't have to have 2 different gadgets (a fitness tracker & a heart rate monitor). Also, Polar has a free app that'll sync to your phone via bluetooth.

"Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want"
"If you feel you need to tell lies to get ahead, perhaps you need to evaluate why you're behind in the first place."
speedysweetie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2014-11-01, 04:29 PM   #5
titaniumSS

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 67
Thanks (Received): 121
Likes (Given): 677
Likes (Received): 721
Dislikes (Given): 6
Dislikes (Received): 16

All of the wearables that don't have a HRM are a waste of money. Your phone can do everything the Fitbit and others can do anymore. I have a Bodymedia Fit Link. It's an armband with 4 contacts for HRM and it is worn 23 hours a day on my left arm. The contacts match up to my tricep and it does a fairly good job of measuring calories burned. I use it in conjunction with MyFitnessPal to record meals. They use Bodymedia on The Biggest Loser I think still, or at least at some point. It's been good to me. The only downside is that the software is $7 a month but most of the good ones have a same business model for their app software. It costs around $99 depending on when you get it. They usually have offers and deals. My girlfriend got a year of free software use and the fit link for around $99.

titaniumSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2014-11-05, 07:57 PM   #6
titaniumSS

Post Thanks / Like

Update for OP and others, Bodymedia was "acquired" by Jawbone. Jawbone just announced their Up3. Personally I've heard way too many Jawbone devices failing to trust them with Bodymedia's technology.

For the OP, I'm looking at the Basis Peak wearable (they were recently bought by Intel). The reason I'd say that is better than the Microsoft Band and Fitbit Surge or Charge HR. Fitbit Surge and Charge HR does not have Galvanic Skin Response or Skin Temperature sensors so it relies solely on it's accelerometer and optical heart rate sensor. This basically means that it isn't as good of a measure for your true heart rate and calories burned due to factoring those two components more closely.

The Microsoft Band doesn't seem bad, but it is their first try in the space, as well as I've read reviews that the heart rate monitoring aren't as good as others currently. Could be a software or firmware update, but the features are pretty robust on it. It also is a little big to accommodate the screen.

Unread 2014-11-06, 04:52 PM   #7
bigbeckster

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 10
Likes (Given): 53
Likes (Received): 71
Dislikes (Received): 2

My co-worker came in the office the other day with one. I think it is the best fitness band out there for the money right now. His was a little tight on my waist, but that is why there are different sizes not an issue.

It has a nice colored screen. There are smart watch features, but overall it's a fitness band. The real time heart rate monitor by itself wins the contest for any fitness band for the money. The App is very easy/simple to use and customize your band.

If you have a windows phone you can answer text and calls by voice. I'm sure they will come out with stuff that works for Android or IOS. It will vibrate if you receive a text or have a meeting etc.

Overall, I think they hit it out of the park for their first version. It will only get better with time. When it shows up at the main campus in Redmond, I'll be swing by to buy it for my brother for Chrismas.

If anyone thinks I'm a MS whore. I own a PS4

Last edited by bigbeckster; 2014-11-06 at 04:59 PM..
bigbeckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2014-11-06, 04:59 PM   #8
titaniumSS

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbeckster View Post
My co-worker came in the office the other day with one. I think it is the best fitness band out there for the money right now. His was a little tight on my waist, but that is why there are different sizes not an issue.

It has a nice colored screen. There are smart watch features, but overall it's a fitness band. The real time heart rate monitor by itself wins the contest for any fitness band for the money. The App is very easy/simple to use and customize your band.

If you have a windows phone you can answer text and calls by voice. I'm sure they will come out with stuff that works for Android or IOS. It will vibrate if you receive a text or have a meeting etc.

Overall, I think they hit it out of the park for their first version. It will only get better with time. When it shows up at the main campus in Redmond, I'll be swing by to buy it for my brother for Chrismas.

If anyone thinks I'm a MS whore. I own a PS4
Are you speaking of the MS Band? It already has Android and IOS capability. The one drawback is less accurate HRM than the other wrist wearable devices out/coming out. From what I've seen though, the MS band is not bad at all for their first iteration!

Unread 2014-11-06, 05:28 PM   #9
bigbeckster

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 10
Likes (Given): 53
Likes (Received): 71
Dislikes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by titaniumSS View Post
Are you speaking of the MS Band? It already has Android and IOS capability. The one drawback is less accurate HRM than the other wrist wearable devices out/coming out. From what I've seen though, the MS band is not bad at all for their first iteration!
yeah, I meant to quote your last comment. I can't confirm on how accurate it is, but like you said a great first step.
bigbeckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2014-11-06, 06:03 PM   #10
titaniumSS

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbeckster View Post
yeah, I meant to quote your last comment. I can't confirm on how accurate it is, but like you said a great first step.
There are a few decent reviews out there of things so far. The one that I found was a guy from I believe PC World wearing an LG earbud HRM (which was comparable to a chest strap HRM) comparing the readings from that to the MS Band and the Basis Peak. Both had issues occasionally, but the Basis Peak showed better accuracy. I'll be interested to see how the Jawbone Up3 compares in accuracy since that is the only one with Bio-impedance. MS did a good job with notifications and offering a complete solution from the start (where Basis and others are doing an update later one).