Mirror Finish Polishing ~ 1-816-529-6089 ~ sales@mirrorfinishpolishing.com ~ mirrorfinishpolishing.com For the best rate on home, auto, life or business/commercial insurance call me at 888-959-0955, cell 636-734-1310 or bricehazelwood@weiss-ins.com. Never Done Garage - donewhenimdead.com Peerless Automotive Reconditioning - 1155 W. Dennis Ave, Olathe Ks, 66061 - 913-893-1201 Mark H. Epstein ~ The Epstein Law Firm, LLC ~ 913-396-5123 Wilkes Automotive ~ wilkesautomotive.com ~ 246 Marion St, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ 913-254-7171 Skandalous Inc ~ www.skandalousinc.com DIY Auto Repair Inc ~ www.diyautorepairkc.com ~ 11509 Strangline Rd, Olathe KS 66062 ~ 913-226-3806 Your advertisement here! The Law Offices of Jeremiah Johnson, LLC ~ 104 E. Poplar, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ (913)764-5010 ~ www.kcatty.com - www.johnsoncountydui.com ~ jeremiah@kcatty.com Santa Fe Body, Inc ~ 8717 Lenexa Drive, Overland Park, KS 66214 ~ (913) 894-6090 House of Boost LLC Nude? HouseofHID.com - The #1 source for HID The Print Shop KC 816.200.6694 or Ryan@RMD-Photography.com the art of tyleR ~ http://tyleR.bigcartel.com ~ TYLERcoey.com ~ MUTTtoy.com ~ MUTTtoy@gmail.com W-K Chevrolet Buick Pontiac Cadillac GMC ~ 3310 W. Broadway, Sedalia, MO 65301 ~ 800-382-5088 ~ Cell 660-553-8928 ~ dustin@wkchevy.com ~ www.wkchevy.com

Go Back   KCSR - THE Kansas City Forum > General Forums > Fitness and Health

Reply
Thread Tools
Unread 2017-02-26, 08:47 PM   #1
Rob
 
Rob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Grain Valley
Posts: 6,990
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 171
Thanks (Received): 149
Likes (Given): 827
Likes (Received): 848
Dislikes (Given): 12
Dislikes (Received): 23
Default Anyone do any local 5k's?

Last year I did 6 5k's...my goal this year is to do as many as I can. Mainly because i'm super lazy and I need something to work toward.

Anyone do any? My best time so far is 31.25....and I'm pretty proud of that lol
__________________
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-02-27, 08:44 AM   #2
ForcFed93
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Topeka KS
Posts: 4,086
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 16
Thanks (Received): 95
Likes (Given): 333
Likes (Received): 662
Dislikes (Given): 2
Dislikes (Received): 29
Default

I don't do that many, but I'm hoping to do more this year.

Last year I did a 5k obstacle course race and a normal 5k. The obstacle course I ran in I think 46 minutes and the trail/road 5k I did in 27:10 ish. Not bad for my first ever 5k I think.

I'd like to hit 24 minutes or so by the end of the year.
ForcFed93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-02-27, 10:20 AM   #3
Keboh
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Overland Park
Posts: 13,626
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 213
Thanks (Received): 252
Likes (Given): 2483
Likes (Received): 1671
Dislikes (Given): 24
Dislikes (Received): 47
Default

I have gotten pretty into running events over the past couple of years. I think I ran in 4 or 5 last year, I plan on doing at least double that this year. My best time (at a standard timed run) was at the KC Marathon 5k. I ran a 24:20. I do a lot of obstacle/mud runs which obviously take a lot more time and can't really be compared to each other, but they're a lot of fun. I also did a beer mile last year which was... rough. Out of the ~300 people in the race though, me and my friends finished 3rd, 4th, and 5th!

I am already signed up for 3 in April:

I have a team in the Brew-to-brew (relay race from Boulevard brewery to Free State in Lawrence). I'm not sure which leg I am getting yet; hopefully one of the ~4 mile ones. www.brewtobrew.com

I am signed up for Rock the Parkway; a traditional 5k race. http://www.rocktheparkway.com/

And then at the end of the month I am registered for a 5k obstacle course called the Warrior Dash. https://warriordash.com



Some other ones I am looking at this year:

The Warrior Run was my favorite all-time event. I am assuming they'll do it again this year: http://www.warriorsrunkc.com/

This was easily the hardest event. Last year it was July 1st on a day with 115 degree heat index, and our heat started at like 12:30. It starts by running you straight up the main slope at Snow Creek... I overheated during that race but (like an idiot) kept running and finished it. Glad I made it without actually getting hurt. It looks like it'll be in Sept this year, so hopefully not as hot. I might do it, considering the better date: https://ruggedmaniac.com/events/kansascity/

The Beer Mile! Miserable race.. I'll probably end up doing it again, it was fun: www.beermile.com

KC Marathon. You can do a 5k, half marathon, and full marathon. I'm not man enough for the longer races, but I will almost definitely compete in the 5k again. I have done it the past two years: http://www.sportkc.org/marathon/

Last edited by Keboh; 2017-02-27 at 10:28 AM..
Keboh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-02-27, 10:31 AM   #4
Rob
 
Rob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Grain Valley
Posts: 6,990
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 171
Thanks (Received): 149
Likes (Given): 827
Likes (Received): 848
Dislikes (Given): 12
Dislikes (Received): 23
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keboh View Post
I have gotten pretty into running events over the past couple of years. I think I ran in 4 or 5 last year, I plan on doing at least double that this year. My best time (at a standard timed run) was at the KC Marathon 5k. I ran a 24:20. I do a lot of obstacle/mud runs which obviously take a lot more time and can't really be compared to each other, but they're a lot of fun. I also did a beer mile last year which was... rough. Out of the ~300 people in the race though, me and my friends finished 3rd, 4th, and 5th!

I am already signed up for 3 in April:

I have a team in the Brew-to-brew (relay race from Boulevard brewery to Free State in Lawrence). I'm not sure which leg I am getting yet; hopefully one of the ~4 mile ones. www.brewtobrew.com

I am signed up for Rock the Parkway; a traditional 5k race. http://www.rocktheparkway.com/

And then at the end of the month I am registered for a 5k obstacle course called the Warrior Dash. https://warriordash.com



Some other ones I am looking at this year:

The Warrior Run was my favorite all-time event. I am assuming they'll do it again this year: http://www.warriorsrunkc.com/

This was easily the hardest event. Last year it was July 1st on a day with 115 degree heat index, and our heat started at like 12:30. It starts by running you straight up the main slope at Snow Creek... I overheated during that race but (like an idiot) kept running and finished it. Glad I made it without actually getting hurt. It looks like it'll be in Sept this year, so hopefully not as hot. I might do it, considering the better date: https://ruggedmaniac.com/events/kansascity/

The Beer Mile! Miserable race.. I'll probably end up doing it again, it was fun: www.beermile.com

KC Marathon. You can do a 5k, half marathon, and full marathon. I'm not man enough for the longer races, but I will almost definitely compete in the 5k again. I have done it the past two years: http://www.sportkc.org/marathon/

I did the beerfit 5k last year... I'll probably do that one again this year
__________________
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-02-27, 10:35 AM   #5
Keboh
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Overland Park
Posts: 13,626
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 213
Thanks (Received): 252
Likes (Given): 2483
Likes (Received): 1671
Dislikes (Given): 24
Dislikes (Received): 47
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
I did the beerfit 5k last year... I'll probably do that one again this year
we thought about doing the 5k (I have a crew of friends that I do all these races with), but we thought the beer mile sounded more fun. I wonder if it's possible to do both? That could be fun.
Keboh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-02-27, 10:58 AM   #6
Rob
 
Rob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Grain Valley
Posts: 6,990
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 171
Thanks (Received): 149
Likes (Given): 827
Likes (Received): 848
Dislikes (Given): 12
Dislikes (Received): 23
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keboh View Post
we thought about doing the 5k (I have a crew of friends that I do all these races with), but we thought the beer mile sounded more fun. I wonder if it's possible to do both? That could be fun.
If I remember correctly, they didn't do the mile run until after the 5k was done? (I could be wrong on this)

I thought it was a lot of fun. GREAT atmosphere. That was the first one I ever did and my time was like 36.50 or something like that...since I've improved my best time to 31.25. My goal is to be under 30 minutes by the end of the year.

I've been cleaning up my diet and being much more active. I'm hoping I can reach that goal. Eventually I would like to do a half marathon
__________________
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes NickW936, Keboh liked this post
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-02-27, 11:08 AM   #7
Keboh
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Overland Park
Posts: 13,626
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 213
Thanks (Received): 252
Likes (Given): 2483
Likes (Received): 1671
Dislikes (Given): 24
Dislikes (Received): 47
Default

I might have to look into doing that. But yeah, the beerfit event was pretty awesome... the after-party was a lot of fun. They did a great job hosting it.

I have thought about stepping it up to longer races and finding some 5 mile or 10k events... I am starting to get comfortable running a 5k. My goal is to drop below 24 minutes this year. It shouldn't be too hard for me, as long as I keep up with it. It sure gets harder and harder to shave time off the faster you run though
Keboh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-03-07, 10:22 AM   #8
NickW936
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Overland Park, KS
Posts: 20
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 17
Likes (Received): 0
Dislikes (Given): 0
Dislikes (Received): 0
Default

If you are wanting a family-oriented one the Color Run is fun every year, I believe they do it down by the stadiums.
NickW936 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-03-09, 10:09 AM   #9
69Mach351
 
69Mach351's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: NE KS
Posts: 8,475
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 262
Thanks (Received): 234
Likes (Given): 1794
Likes (Received): 1701
Dislikes (Given): 37
Dislikes (Received): 44
Default

There are a ton of them. I think the KC sports commission puts on a number. There is a local group called the trail nerds (google, facebook). Aside from that google things like local runs and things of that nature, and it will pull together a lot of sites that pull together a bunch of them so they are easy to find.

The KC marathon one is fun. I want to do some of the Rock and Roll Marathon series ( http://www.runrocknroll.com/ ) but it would require to do a little traveling.

I am a fatass and usually walk 5k-half marathon distances, but in the meantime, I sign up for virtual races with yes.fit ( https://yes.fit/ ) to keep me motivated. It is kind of goofy, but you sign up for a challenge ($15-$30) which are usually 14-120 miles, log your miles on the site, they will email you pictures of what you are passing along the way, and you get a medal or shirt when you are done. I know it seems strange to some, and it does a little to me too (hell, you could cheat if you wanted), but it keeps me doing a few miles per day, which is the overall goal. I am in the middle of the Route 66, 66 mile challenge right now.
69Mach351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-03-09, 11:15 AM   #10
Keboh
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Overland Park
Posts: 13,626
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 213
Thanks (Received): 252
Likes (Given): 2483
Likes (Received): 1671
Dislikes (Given): 24
Dislikes (Received): 47
Default

that yes.fit thing is cool! I'm gonna sign up.
__________________
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes 69Mach351 liked this post
Keboh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-03-10, 10:04 AM   #11
69Mach351
 
69Mach351's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: NE KS
Posts: 8,475
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 262
Thanks (Received): 234
Likes (Given): 1794
Likes (Received): 1701
Dislikes (Given): 37
Dislikes (Received): 44
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keboh View Post
that yes.fit thing is cool! I'm gonna sign up.
It adds a little motivation. I tend to do the cheaper ones or the mid range (miles) ones. They have some that are like 14 miles and $25. I am not looking to do two or more a month at that price, but the route 66, 66 mile challenge is $15 and will at least take a few weeks to do, so it isn't bad.

They have a group on facebook. Just another avenue to keep moving. I did one of them entirely on a rowing machine to switch it up a little.
69Mach351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-03-10, 10:16 AM   #12
Keboh
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Overland Park
Posts: 13,626
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 213
Thanks (Received): 252
Likes (Given): 2483
Likes (Received): 1671
Dislikes (Given): 24
Dislikes (Received): 47
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Mach351 View Post
It adds a little motivation. I tend to do the cheaper ones or the mid range (miles) ones. They have some that are like 14 miles and $25. I am not looking to do two or more a month at that price, but the route 66, 66 mile challenge is $15 and will at least take a few weeks to do, so it isn't bad.

They have a group on facebook. Just another avenue to keep moving. I did one of them entirely on a rowing machine to switch it up a little.
I am working on the Tokyo run... I want that PacMan medal! I'm going to work through the ghosts next for the whole set

It does seem to be a good motivator to get me out running and training for my actual races, for sure!
__________________
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes 69Mach351 liked this post
Keboh is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

 

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:59 AM.


Design By: Miner Skinz.com
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.13.37
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright (c) 1993-2012, KCSR.org