Mirror Finish Polishing ~ 1-816-529-6089 ~ sales@mirrorfinishpolishing.com ~ mirrorfinishpolishing.com For the best rate on home, auto, life or business/commercial insurance call me at 888-959-0955, cell 636-734-1310 or bricehazelwood@weiss-ins.com. Never Done Garage - donewhenimdead.com Peerless Automotive Reconditioning - 1155 W. Dennis Ave, Olathe Ks, 66061 - 913-893-1201 Mark H. Epstein ~ The Epstein Law Firm, LLC ~ 913-396-5123 Wilkes Automotive ~ wilkesautomotive.com ~ 246 Marion St, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ 913-254-7171 Skandalous Inc ~ www.skandalousinc.com DIY Auto Repair Inc ~ www.diyautorepairkc.com ~ 11509 Strangline Rd, Olathe KS 66062 ~ 913-226-3806 Your advertisement here! The Law Offices of Jeremiah Johnson, LLC ~ 104 E. Poplar, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ (913)764-5010 ~ www.kcatty.com - www.johnsoncountydui.com ~ jeremiah@kcatty.com Santa Fe Body, Inc ~ 8717 Lenexa Drive, Overland Park, KS 66214 ~ (913) 894-6090 House of Boost LLC Nude? HouseofHID.com - The #1 source for HID The Print Shop KC 816.200.6694 or Ryan@RMD-Photography.com the art of tyleR ~ http://tyleR.bigcartel.com ~ TYLERcoey.com ~ MUTTtoy.com ~ MUTTtoy@gmail.com W-K Chevrolet Buick Pontiac Cadillac GMC ~ 3310 W. Broadway, Sedalia, MO 65301 ~ 800-382-5088 ~ Cell 660-553-8928 ~ dustin@wkchevy.com ~ www.wkchevy.com

Go Back   KCSR - THE Kansas City Forum > General Forums > (Almost) Anything Goes

Unread 2017-09-08, 06:21 PM   #1
LTe

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 105
Thanks (Received): 57
Likes (Given): 823
Likes (Received): 289
Dislikes (Given): 24
Dislikes (Received): 10
Default Traffic stop question

Back in july i was pulled over and i finally got the in car video/audio of the interaction with the officer and below is some of audio i transcribed out. This is what was said.

Quote:
officer : hi, the reason why i stopped you is because of your speed. Do you know what the speed limit is here?

me : 65

officer : uh huh, do you know how fast you were going?

me : 68

officer : ok, well you came up behind me right at 80, do you have your drivers license and your insurance with you?

me : (i said something about questioning how he shot radar at me)

officer : Yeah I’ve got an antenna behind me and i was going 63 when you came up behind me pretty quick. Theres no way you were going 68. You were the fastest moving vehicle behind me at the time i checked your speed, ok? So i mean, thats just kinda the way it is, you were passing the other 2 cars, so thats just kinda the way it is. ok?

me : I know i wasn’t doing 80

officer : mmm,K

(EDIT, i replayed the video and I am adding this to the quote as he said this statement before going back to the vehicle)
officer: I understand, what i telling you is there were 3 other cars behind me when i checked your speed. You and 2 other vehicles and your were moving faster than the 2 other vehicles. So if i even check the other peoples speed, if they were going 80, you were going faster than that. If anything 80 is the benefit of the doubt to you, ok? The way that my radar is angled is i have mine specifically angled to check speed to my left. Because I like to move into the right lane and check speed coming just beside me. OK? so thats how i checked your speed at the 80. alright. Can you verify your last name for me.
Based on what he said, is this easy to get dismissed in court? I refuse to plead this to a lesser charge because i know i wasn't going 80mph. He said I was going 17mph faster than him and if you seen the video, it took me awhile to get past him as I was only going 5mph faster than him based on him saying he was going 63mph. I was the only person willing to pass him and i was doing 68. The area is a 65mph zone. I was willing to pass him thinking that I wouldn't be pulled over for going 3mph over the speed limit.

i would post the video but it has identifiable info about me so I'm not going to post it due to that.

what does the resident kcsr people think?

Last edited by LTe; 2017-09-08 at 06:55 PM..
LTe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-09-08, 06:31 PM   #2
jwdb1fish

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 32
Thanks (Received): 453
Likes (Given): 44
Likes (Received): 3864
Dislikes (Given): 7
Dislikes (Received): 123

Get a video editing app and remove the personal info so we can see it
Unread 2017-09-08, 06:41 PM   #3
84USNGT

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 47
Thanks (Received): 180
Likes (Given): 900
Likes (Received): 911
Dislikes (Given): 4
Dislikes (Received): 23

Get a lawyer, preferably Mark Epstein. It sounds like a bag of dicks to me.
Unread 2017-09-08, 06:57 PM   #4
LTe

Post Thanks / Like

I replayed the video and i added another comment as i missed it before he walked to the car. Ive played it a few more times and this is exactly what he said before walking to his car.

I put the added portion in the original quote.
Unread 2017-09-08, 06:58 PM   #5
LTe

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwdb1fish View Post
Get a video editing app and remove the personal info so we can see it
if i can get the video edited, without uploading to youtube where else can i put it? I don't have a youtube account and id rather not sign up for it. Its quite lack luster and boring other than the transcribed audio.
Unread 2017-09-08, 07:06 PM   #6
Dave B

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 15
Thanks (Received): 133
Likes (Given): 24
Likes (Received): 998
Dislikes (Given): 4
Dislikes (Received): 63

Let me ask you this, what's your ticket history like? That will come into play if you want to contest this.
Dave B is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-09-08, 07:13 PM   #7
LTe

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave B View Post
Let me ask you this, what's your ticket history like? That will come into play if you want to contest this.

Clean. I haven't had any infractions in over 11 years. Plus I have a squeaky clean criminal record. So clean you that even bleach would say that it has no use here.

Also I drive a work vehicle around every work day of the week for the last 9 years and drive around 325 miles a week around the entire metro area and still have a squeaky clean record.
Unread 2017-09-08, 09:42 PM   #8
error4o4

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 29
Thanks (Received): 41
Likes (Given): 274
Likes (Received): 135
Dislikes (Given): 15
Dislikes (Received): 4

There must be a way to use the video to calculate speed of your car relative to the camera. Especially if the discrepancy is between his claim of 17mph differential and yours of 5mph.
error4o4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-09-09, 10:02 AM   #9
Corners

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 111
Thanks (Received): 185
Likes (Given): 527
Likes (Received): 1136

From the conversation you typed, it sounds like the cop admitted he wasn't sure if he got your speed. The creates a shadow of a doubt to me.

You should be able to do some detective work with the video's frames per second and a known fixed distance in the video. Basically, find the distance between 2 fixed points, then look to see how many frames in the video passed, and with basic math, you have your speed. This is the same method myth busters uses video to measure speed.

Time to get a dash cam with GPS on it.
"We must love each other, show affection for each other and unite together in condemnation of hatred, bigotry and violence. We must rediscover the bonds of love and loyalty that bring us together as Americans" - President Trump
Corners is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-09-09, 10:10 AM   #10
seawolfxix

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 36
Likes (Received): 35
Dislikes (Given): 0
Dislikes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corners View Post
Time to get a dash cam with GPS on it.
I've been thinking about this ever since I got slapped with a ticket that overstated my speed by 8mph.

It could potentially save you if the ticketed speed is above the threshold for points or reckless driving, but I've also been told that 3mph over the limit is still speeding, and the judge could still make you pay a fine.
seawolfxix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-09-09, 06:21 PM   #11
Corners

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 111
Thanks (Received): 185
Likes (Given): 527
Likes (Received): 1136

Quote:
Originally Posted by seawolfxix View Post
I've been thinking about this ever since I got slapped with a ticket that overstated my speed by 8mph.

It could potentially save you if the ticketed speed is above the threshold for points or reckless driving, but I've also been told that 3mph over the limit is still speeding, and the judge could still make you pay a fine.
3 over in a 65mph zone is a non-moving (no points, no insurance notification) ticket. Big difference.
"We must love each other, show affection for each other and unite together in condemnation of hatred, bigotry and violence. We must rediscover the bonds of love and loyalty that bring us together as Americans" - President Trump
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes seawolfxix liked this post
Corners is online now   Reply With Quote