Mirror Finish Polishing ~ 1-816-529-6089 ~ sales@mirrorfinishpolishing.com ~ mirrorfinishpolishing.com For the best rate on home, auto, life or business/commercial insurance call me at 888-959-0955, cell 636-734-1310 or bricehazelwood@weiss-ins.com. Never Done Garage - donewhenimdead.com Peerless Automotive Reconditioning - 1155 W. Dennis Ave, Olathe Ks, 66061 - 913-893-1201 Mark H. Epstein ~ ROE & EPSTEIN, LLP ~ (816) 421-9000 Wilkes Automotive ~ wilkesautomotive.com ~ 246 Marion St, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ 913-254-7171 Skandalous Inc ~ www.skandalousinc.com DIY Auto Repair Inc ~ www.diyautorepairkc.com ~ 11509 Strangline Rd, Olathe KS 66062 ~ 913-226-3806 Your advertisement here! The Law Offices of Jeremiah Johnson, LLC ~ 104 E. Poplar, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ (913)764-5010 ~ www.kcatty.com - www.johnsoncountydui.com ~ jeremiah@kcatty.com Santa Fe Body, Inc ~ 8717 Lenexa Drive, Overland Park, KS 66214 ~ (913) 894-6090 House of Boost LLC Nude? HouseofHID.com - The #1 source for HID R|M|D Photography 816.200.6694 or Ryan@RMD-Photography.com the art of tyleR ~ http://tyleR.bigcartel.com ~ TYLERcoey.com ~ MUTTtoy.com ~ MUTTtoy@gmail.com W-K Chevrolet Buick Pontiac Cadillac GMC ~ 3310 W. Broadway, Sedalia, MO 65301 ~ 800-382-5088 ~ Cell 660-553-8928 ~ dustin@wkchevy.com ~ www.wkchevy.com

Go Back   KCSR - THE Kansas City Forum > General Forums > (Almost) Anything Goes

Old 2012-07-10, 06:45 AM   #1
Corners

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 83
Thanks (Received): 141
Likes (Given): 379
Likes (Received): 876
Default So, no more KMBC (ABC, channel 9) on Time Warner Cable?

Hmm. Will this push more people to put up antennas? I swear, a large percentage of the population have no idea that you can put up an antenna and get free TV.

http://www.kmbc.com/news/kansas-city...z/-/index.html

Quote:
Notice to Time Warner Cable subscribers

NEW YORK - Time Warner Cable, on behalf of itself and Bright House and Insight, for which it has negotiating authority, has terminated negotiations with our company, Hearst Television, for continued carriage of KMBC-TV and KCWE-TV.

Hearst has successfully concluded over 150 carriage agreements in recent months with other cable companies with no disruption of service to subscribers. This contrasts with Time Warner’s disruptions of service and withdrawal of carriage of local television stations in other cases.

Time Warner Cable refuses to pay our station a reasonable fee relative to what it pays for other significantly less popular channels. Time Warner’s characterization of the percentage increase in carriage fees we are seeking is inaccurate. We have sought a reasonable increase consistent with the increased costs we have to pay for our highly valued programming and the carriage fees now paid to us by Time Warner’s competitors. The fees we are asking from Time Warner are based on the fees we are being paid by other cable companies under our recent deals, which is the real measure—not Time Warner’s exaggerated and distorted claims—of the fairness of our proposal. In fact, retransmission fees paid to stations are just 7 cents of every dollar of the total carriage fees paid to cable networks, which are less popular than local TV stations, according to recent independent research.

We regret the inconvenience Time Warner Cable has imposed on its subscribers, and we will keep you fully informed of developments.

Contrary to Time Warner’s claim, we have not “blacked out” our station. You may continue to receive our station for free, over the air, or by satellite from DIRECTV or DISH, and, where available, from other cable operators.

Viewers can determine the type of antenna needed to receive the signals of Hearst Stations at http://www.antennaweb.org/.

Customer service numbers for other providers carrying Hearst Station signals include the following:

DIRECTV: 1-888-777-2454

DISH Network: 1-800-823-4929

AT&T U-verse: 1-800-288-2020 (where available)

Edit: Notice Updated.

"And what? Vote for the democrat who's going to blast me in the ass? Or the republican who's going to blast my ass? Either way, politics is all one big ass blasting." - Ronald MacDonald.

2013 SWP WRX

Last edited by Corners; 2012-07-11 at 12:17 AM..
Corners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-10, 06:49 AM   #2
grunt2001

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 59
Thanks (Received): 69
Likes (Given): 101
Likes (Received): 241
Dislikes (Given): 18
Dislikes (Received): 43

I have just an antenna and get 26 channel's, movies and our tv shows we stream through netflix cost me 11.00 a month
Old 2012-07-10, 06:52 AM   #3
Corners

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunt2001 View Post
I have just an antenna and get 26 channel's, movies and our tv shows we stream through netflix cost me 11.00 a month
That's how I did it before I left, and that's how I'll do it when I get back.

"And what? Vote for the democrat who's going to blast me in the ass? Or the republican who's going to blast my ass? Either way, politics is all one big ass blasting." - Ronald MacDonald.

2013 SWP WRX
Old 2012-07-10, 06:55 AM   #4
Timothy Leary
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 93
Thanks (Received): 237
Likes (Given): 177
Likes (Received): 1357
Dislikes (Given): 10
Dislikes (Received): 24

so sick of fucking cable. Nothing like paying 100 a month to get 9000espn channels, 15 learning channels all with the same fucking shows (tuna finders, Tuna boys, fish men, etc etc).

2013 Orange as Fuck FRS
Post Thanks / Like - 2 Thanks, 3 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks MountainDew, Fully-Loaded thanked for this post
Likes MountainDew, snm95ls, Fully-Loaded liked this post
Timothy Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-10, 07:00 AM   #5
Corners

Post Thanks / Like

Bring me a-la-carte cable, and I'll be a paying customer again. I only want like 5 channels. Let's see...

ESPN
Discovery
Disney
Comedy
E

There's probably a couple more I'm forgetting, but there's not much more. All the locals I'll pull in over the air.

2013 SWP WRX
Old 2012-07-10, 07:06 AM   #6
SC/TGrandAm

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 66
Thanks (Received): 52
Likes (Given): 562
Likes (Received): 385
Dislikes (Given): 97
Dislikes (Received): 12

This might be my final push to drop piece of shit Time Warner and run an antenna. I'll just miss ESPN pretty much.

The Alliance has formed: Accords, Alcoholism, and Awesome.

SC/TGrandAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-10, 07:07 AM   #7
offensive
No I am NOT a girl.

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 14
Thanks (Received): 279
Likes (Given): 20
Likes (Received): 1669
Dislikes (Given): 18
Dislikes (Received): 50

I wish I could get Time Warner or google internets. fucking comcast...
Old 2012-07-10, 07:13 AM   #8
Corners

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC/TGrandAm View Post
This might be my final push to drop piece of shit Time Warner and run an antenna. I'll just miss ESPN pretty much.
From what I've read, KMBC wants TW to pay more money to carry their channel, and TW said no, hence the stalemate. It might actually be KMBC that's the "bad guy". Oh well.

Oh, and yes is sucks really bad during March not having ESPN.

2013 SWP WRX
Old 2012-07-10, 07:20 AM   #9
Ryan Stewart
Mr. Plow

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy Leary View Post
so sick of fucking cable. Nothing like paying 100 a month to get 9000espn channels, 15 learning channels all with the same fucking shows (tuna finders, Tuna boys, fish men, etc etc).
Exactly why I ditched cable. And everyone is doing the MTV2 thing. History doesnt show history anymore, its just that stupid scripted "reality" shit and then you gotta buy the premium package to get H2, which still shows history on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC/TGrandAm View Post
Check and see what your internet provider does with ESPN. We use Comcast for interwebs and they have full access to ESPN3, which pretty much shows any game anymore. The only thing you are missing out on are the other 160 hours of the same 4 guys talking about the same shit over and over again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corners View Post
Bring me a-la-carte cable, and I'll be a paying customer again. I only want like 5 channels. Let's see...

ESPN
Discovery
Disney
Comedy
E

There's probably a couple more I'm forgetting, but there's not much more. All the locals I'll pull in over the air.
tvtorrents.com my friend. However I am with you. If they did it a few bucks a month a channel (it cant be more with commercials) Id buy my 6 or 7 channels and be done with it.

Quote:
Oh, and yes is sucks really bad during March not having ESPN.
Why? ESPN gets none of it. All they can do is say "holy shit did you see that game on CBS yesterday?"

Last edited by Ryan Stewart; 2012-07-10 at 07:22 AM..
Ryan Stewart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-10, 10:52 AM   #10
skunk2

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 20
Likes (Given): 32
Likes (Received): 132
Dislikes (Given): 2
Dislikes (Received): 8

I wish they would make it where you can customize your channel and let you choose what you want as a "package." I barely watch TV and if I do its maybe 5 or 6 channels.

-2004 HONDA CBR 600RR (RIP)

Quote:
"Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them -- a desire, a dream, a vision." -MA
skunk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-10, 10:57 AM   #11
MFE

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 21
Thanks (Received): 154
Likes (Given): 57
Likes (Received): 635
Dislikes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunt2001 View Post
How do you get CURRENT shows of series like Breaking Bad, Mad Men, Walking Dead? I havent' found a service yet that streams shows any newer than the prior season.

I just got a Roku box I'm having fun with, and I can't wait to tell Cox Cable to suck mine, but there are a handful of shows we like to watch that I don't know how to get anywhere but cable/dish/directTV.
MFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-10, 10:58 AM   #12
Bustin Dailey
Fanboi 4 lyfe

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 635
Thanks (Received): 94
Likes (Given): 1115
Likes (Received): 455
Dislikes (Given): 45
Dislikes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by skunk2 View Post
I wish they would make it where you can customize your channel and let you choose what you want as a "package." I barely watch TV and if I do its maybe 5 or 6 channels.
Exactly.

I pay for DirecTv, and have a spare receiver in my "RV" over at a buddies house so we split the $55 bill in half every month....

Otherwise I would have dropped it years ago. $22.50 a month for HD direct tv with DVR ain't half bad, even though I only watch 3 or 4 channels.

I'm about to upgrade my package so I can get the science channel and history 2... I HATE reality tv... with a passion, so seeing all the educational channels I get showing garbage during prime-time every night is pretty lame...
Bustin Dailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-10, 10:59 AM   #13
BuddyLee

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 12
Thanks (Received): 160
Likes (Given): 24
Likes (Received): 1203
Dislikes (Given): 4

This shit happens all the time with various carriers. If you think for one moment that TWC won't get KMBC back in their lineup you're nuts. The shit will get worked out.

Hell right now DTV is in a similar boat with Viacom where something like 26 channels will go away tonight if an agreement isn't reached. Won't happen. It will get worked out. No one in their right mind would retain service with a company that didn't carry a local ABC affiliate or all of the viacom networks (MTV, CC, Nick, etc).

Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Prolific, inis liked this post
BuddyLee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-10, 11:10 AM   #14
ForcFed93

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 14
Thanks (Received): 60
Likes (Given): 237
Likes (Received): 424

I currently do the OTA + Netflix combo.

What I hope to do soon is grab an Apple TV that way I can download current TV shows that I watch from iTunes and stream everything I already have on my MBP to my TV.
ForcFed93 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-10, 11:16 AM   #15
Ryan Stewart
Mr. Plow

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFE View Post
How do you get CURRENT shows of series like Breaking Bad, Mad Men, Walking Dead? I havent' found a service yet that streams shows any newer than the prior season.
The only method through legit means is to hit up the sites of the networks themselves. There is always the not so legit one is to torrent it, torrent the fuck out of it.
Old 2012-07-11, 12:18 AM   #16
Corners

Post Thanks / Like

Updated.

I keep laughing at all the Facebook comments about GREED! You'd think these people had their electricity or water shut off by the way they're talking.

2013 SWP WRX
Old 2012-07-11, 04:58 AM   #17
Fastback72
BANNED!

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 18
Likes (Received): 17
Dislikes (Given): 7
Dislikes (Received): 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFE View Post

I just got a Roku box I'm having fun with, and I can't wait to tell Cox Cable to suck mine, but there are a handful of shows we like to watch that I don't know how to get anywhere but cable/dish/directTV.
Network shows (Stuff on TNT, HBO, etc) I have no idea, but you can get any show in 100% full digital HDTV from the non-cable network channels (TBS, CBS, NBC, ABC, KMBC, FOX, WHB, etc..stuff like Desperate Housewives, House MD, Simpsons, and every major sporting event including every Chiefs game) with nothing more than an antenna!

I'll take all of that for free, rather than pay $150 bucks more for something that I rarely use. I'd rather buy the DVD of the shows and own them then waste the money on cable.
Fastback72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-11, 07:32 AM   #18
shaun y
Mr 49er

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 138
Thanks (Received): 104
Likes (Given): 2451
Likes (Received): 793
Dislikes (Given): 121
Dislikes (Received): 114

i just watch dvr, i hardly ever watch live tv anymore. we have whole-home dvr, so i just download whatever movies are on in-demand and the shows i want and that's more than enough to fill my tv time. no commercials and no bs shows
Old 2012-07-11, 07:40 AM   #19
BuddyLee

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 12
Thanks (Received): 160
Likes (Given): 24
Likes (Received): 1203
Dislikes (Given): 4

Viacom and DirecTV failed to reach an agreement too. 26 channels on my subscription went dark at midnight last night. The thing is now there are millions upon millions of subscribers missing out on these shows. This means lower ratings which also means loss of ad revenue stream. Advertisers will be pushing both ABC and Viacom to get a deal worked out and back on air. This blackout won't last long.

BuddyLee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-11, 08:12 AM   #20
duttbart
askmehowIknow,bro!

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 29
Thanks (Received): 165
Likes (Given): 209
Likes (Received): 1293
Dislikes (Given): 5
Dislikes (Received): 18

PEOPLE ARE ADDICTED TO TV.

which is good, considering it's how i get paid.
duttbart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-11, 08:29 AM   #21
Ryan Stewart
Mr. Plow

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Updated.

I keep laughing at all the Facebook comments about GREED! You'd think these people had their electricity or water shut off by the way they're talking.
Didnt you get the memo? This is America. We have the right to cable, free healthcare, cheap gas, a college education, a $100k job and the new hotness. Its actually in the Constitution.

On a plus side though if you had a subscriber agreement I would think losing content would invalidate it. You should be able to bail penalty free.
Old 2012-07-11, 10:26 AM   #22
Timothy Leary
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 93
Thanks (Received): 237
Likes (Given): 177
Likes (Received): 1357
Dislikes (Given): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Stewart View Post
Didnt you get the memo? This is America. We have the right to cable, free healthcare, cheap gas, a college education, a $100k job and the new hotness. Its actually in the Constitution.

On a plus side though if you had a subscriber agreement I would think losing content would invalidate it. You should be able to bail penalty free.
surely time warner has some small ass writing somewhere that would prevent that. They just seem like they would.

2013 Orange as Fuck FRS
Timothy Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-11, 12:08 PM   #23
Ryan Stewart
Mr. Plow

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy Leary View Post
surely time warner has some small ass writing somewhere that would prevent that. They just seem like they would.
I bet it wouldnt hold water even if it were in an agreement. We did it to Comcast. Fuckers pulled a channel from our package and moved it to the next tier up. Told them to go fuck themselves, they modified the service the agreement was for, nullifying it.

Its the same thing when Sprint changed their billing or Verizon/AT&T changed their plans. They had to notify and, typically, you had a notice period to respond before being auto-enrolled into the new plans. During that period you could opt-out.
Old 2012-07-11, 01:05 PM   #24
CrazieAccord

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 9
Thanks (Received): 20
Likes (Given): 26
Likes (Received): 92
Dislikes (Given): 1
Dislikes (Received): 0

After the Olympics I'm pretty sure my cable is going bye-bye, finally. Unless there is a way to watch the Olympics without cable...anyone know?
Old 2012-07-11, 01:47 PM   #25
Ryan Stewart
Mr. Plow

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazieAccord View Post
After the Olympics I'm pretty sure my cable is going bye-bye, finally. Unless there is a way to watch the Olympics without cable...anyone know?
I do accept blowjobs as forms of payment:

http://techland.time.com/2012/04/18/...olympics-live/

Cable is outdated.
Ryan Stewart is online now   Reply With Quote