Mirror Finish Polishing ~ 1-816-529-6089 ~ sales@mirrorfinishpolishing.com ~ mirrorfinishpolishing.com For the best rate on home, auto, life or business/commercial insurance call me at 888-959-0955, cell 636-734-1310 or bricehazelwood@weiss-ins.com. Never Done Garage - donewhenimdead.com Peerless Automotive Reconditioning - 1155 W. Dennis Ave, Olathe Ks, 66061 - 913-893-1201 Mark H. Epstein ~ ROE & EPSTEIN, LLP ~ (816) 421-9000 Wilkes Automotive ~ wilkesautomotive.com ~ 246 Marion St, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ 913-254-7171 Skandalous Inc ~ www.skandalousinc.com DIY Auto Repair Inc ~ www.diyautorepairkc.com ~ 11509 Strangline Rd, Olathe KS 66062 ~ 913-226-3806 Your advertisement here! The Law Offices of Jeremiah Johnson, LLC ~ 104 E. Poplar, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ (913)764-5010 ~ www.kcatty.com - www.johnsoncountydui.com ~ jeremiah@kcatty.com Santa Fe Body, Inc ~ 8717 Lenexa Drive, Overland Park, KS 66214 ~ (913) 894-6090 House of Boost LLC Nude? HouseofHID.com - The #1 source for HID R|M|D Photography 816.200.6694 or Ryan@RMD-Photography.com the art of tyleR ~ http://tyleR.bigcartel.com ~ TYLERcoey.com ~ MUTTtoy.com ~ MUTTtoy@gmail.com W-K Chevrolet Buick Pontiac Cadillac GMC ~ 3310 W. Broadway, Sedalia, MO 65301 ~ 800-382-5088 ~ Cell 660-553-8928 ~ dustin@wkchevy.com ~ www.wkchevy.com

Go Back   KCSR - THE Kansas City Forum > General Forums > Careers, Colleges, Jobs

Old 2013-01-20, 11:03 AM   #1
speedysweetie
Mafia Queen

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 31
Thanks (Received): 25
Likes (Given): 149
Likes (Received): 141
Dislikes (Given): 0
Dislikes (Received): 1
Default 4 Essential Questions to Ask at the End of a Job Interview

http://www.mint.com/blog/how-to/4-es...job-interview/

Quote:
“I am always surprised how some interviewees tend to trail off towards the end of an interview instead of finishing strong and leaving a lasting impression,” says Zachary Rose, CEO and founder of Green Education Services, a green jobs training firm in New York City.
Whether you’re a senior preparing for campus recruiting or a recent graduate still hunting for a job, here are the top questions experts recommend asking at the end of a job interview to leave a great final impression on hiring managers and establish yourself as a top candidate.
“Is There Any Reason Why You Wouldn’t Hire Me?”

Kelsey Meyer, senior vice president of Digital Talent Agents in Columbia, Mo., says, “A recent candidate asked, ‘If you were to not offer the job to me, what would be the reason?’ This was extremely straightforward and a little blunt, but it allowed me to communicate any hesitations I had about the candidate before he left the interview, and he could address them right there.”
“This one question is something I would suggest every single candidate ask,” adds Meyer. It lets you know where you stand and if you need to clarify anything for the interviewer. “If you have the guts to ask it, I don’t think you’ll regret it,” she says.
Rachel Dotson, content manager for ZipRecruiter.com, says, “All too often you hear about candidates leaving an interview and thinking they aced it, only to get a swift rejection email soon after. Take the time while you’re face-to-face to ask about and dispel any doubts that the hiring manager has.” Make sure a key asset of yours hasn’t been overlooked.
“As an Employee, How Could I Exceed Your Expectations?”

Michael B. Junge, a staffing and recruiting industry leader with Irvine Technology Corp. in Santa Ana, Calif., and author of Purple Squirrel: Stand Out, Land Interviews, and Master the Modern Job Market, says that one of his favorite interview questions is when a candidate takes the lead and asks, “If I were offered this position and joined your company, how would you measure my success and what could I do to exceed your expectations?”
“The question shows confidence without being overly brash, while also demonstrating that you have an interest in delivering positive results,” Junge adds. What’s more, the answer you receive can reveal what the interviewer hopes to accomplish by making a new hire, and this information can help you determine whether to accept the position if you get an offer.
“How Could I Help Your Company Meet Its Goals?”

Dotson also suggests job candidates ask the interviewer, “How does this position fit in with the short- and long-term goals of the company?” The response to the short-term side of the question gives you further insight into your potential role and helps you tailor the remainder of the discussion and your interview follow-up, she says.
“Second, by bringing up long-term goals, you are telling the hiring manager that you’re there for the long-run, not just another new grad that is going to follow suit with her peers and job-hop every six months,” Dotson says.
Junge also recommends that interviewees ask, “What challenges have other new hires faced when starting in similar roles, and what could I do to put myself in a better position to succeed?” He says few students or new grads will ask this question because most haven’t witnessed failure.
To a hiring manager, this question demonstrates maturity and awareness, and if you’re hired, the answers can help you avoid the pitfalls of being new.
“What Excites You About Coming into Work?”

Murshed Chowdhury, CEO of Infusive Solutions, a specialized staffing firm in New York City, suggests that candidates ask the interviewer, “What excites you about coming into work every day?”
“This is a role reversal question that we often suggest candidates ask,” he says. People love the opportunity to talk about themselves, so this question provides an excellent chance to learn about the hiring manager and find ways to establish common ground.
“This is also a great opportunity for the candidate to determine whether he/she is excited by the same things that excite the hiring manager to see if the culture is a good fit,” Chowdhury adds.
The Bottom Line

Although it is important to provide a great first impression to a potential employer, as well as acing the basics of a job interview, closing the interview strong is just as important.
“Prove to your interviewer that you want this position and you are in this for the right reasons, not simply to fill your day with something to do,” Rose says. Ask these questions before you leave, and leave your potential new employer with a great impression.

"Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want"
"If you feel you need to tell lies to get ahead, perhaps you need to evaluate why you're behind in the first place."
speedysweetie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-20, 12:00 PM   #2
Scooby24
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 33
Thanks (Received): 528
Likes (Given): 189
Likes (Received): 3095
Dislikes (Given): 25
Dislikes (Received): 29

I'd personally be annoyed by that first question.

When I conduct interviews and open up for questions at the end, I don't want to be asked pointed questions like "is there any reason why you wouldn't hire me?". If there was, I'm not going to directly tell you about it as it's likely simply a matter of there being a better candidate, and that candidate might not have come along yet, so I'm not going to string them along either and give false expectations. It would force me to come up with some PC response that I'd be faking and in turn, end the interview with a sour taste in my mouth.

The other 3 are good, but I prefer less generic questions and more questions directly related to the position. What the project is, what their role expectations are, What the team dynamics are like, etc.

The generic questions (as well as introduction statements, canned thank you's, etc) sound insincere and rehearsed. I much prefer a candidate that thinks and speaks on the fly, has questions specifically around what was discussed in the interview, etc.

Just my .02...I've interviewed probably 30+ people in the past 3 years or so. I'm also not a very conventional interviewer though. I hate stuffy interviews that are impersonal where it's a one way conversation.
Old 2013-01-20, 03:08 PM   #3
Rob

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 150
Thanks (Received): 123
Likes (Given): 704
Likes (Received): 719
Dislikes (Given): 12
Dislikes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby24 View Post
I'd personally be annoyed by that first question.

When I conduct interviews and open up for questions at the end, I don't want to be asked pointed questions like "is there any reason why you wouldn't hire me?". If there was, I'm not going to directly tell you about it as it's likely simply a matter of there being a better candidate, and that candidate might not have come along yet, so I'm not going to string them along either and give false expectations. It would force me to come up with some PC response that I'd be faking and in turn, end the interview with a sour taste in my mouth.

The other 3 are good, but I prefer less generic questions and more questions directly related to the position. What the project is, what their role expectations are, What the team dynamics are like, etc.

The generic questions (as well as introduction statements, canned thank you's, etc) sound insincere and rehearsed. I much prefer a candidate that thinks and speaks on the fly, has questions specifically around what was discussed in the interview, etc.

Just my .02...I've interviewed probably 30+ people in the past 3 years or so. I'm also not a very conventional interviewer though. I hate stuffy interviews that are impersonal where it's a one way conversation.

I agree. It kind of makes you seem desperate. I've probably interviewed 50-60 candidates in my life. If any of them asked me that I would see it as a form of desperation
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-20, 07:03 PM   #4
The Lox

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 21
Thanks (Received): 96
Likes (Given): 95
Likes (Received): 711
Dislikes (Given): 5
Dislikes (Received): 28

I would like someone that asked that first question. I have done interviews and I interviewed a bunch last year before taking this new job. I finally realized that the whole process is just about being open, honest, and selling yourself and your skills.

If someone asked me that question, it would certainly make my pause and think about the answer, and make me realize that you are trying to just kiss my ass as the interviewer.
Old 2013-01-20, 08:40 PM   #5
TAILWAG

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 174
Thanks (Received): 77
Likes (Given): 129
Likes (Received): 532
Dislikes (Given): 28
Dislikes (Received): 9

If I got asked that first question during an interview, I would probably explain to the candidate to try to avoid asking that question in the future as it may not be received with open arms.
TAILWAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-21, 03:01 PM   #6
speedysweetie
Mafia Queen

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 31
Thanks (Received): 25
Likes (Given): 149
Likes (Received): 141
Dislikes (Given): 0
Dislikes (Received): 1

Really great insight and nice to see different view points. I think the first question is a great one to ask, BUT in your own words based on the flow of the interview.

I don't think a lot of people realize that just because these are "good" questions doesn't mean that they need to ask them word-for-word. I've found what has helped me in the past is that I would write down the questions, but once i'm at the interview, I ask the questions in my own words.

"Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want"
"If you feel you need to tell lies to get ahead, perhaps you need to evaluate why you're behind in the first place."
speedysweetie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-22, 02:22 AM   #7
Prolific

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 360
Thanks (Received): 84
Likes (Given): 3018
Likes (Received): 652
Dislikes (Given): 103
Dislikes (Received): 20

"Is there anything you've noticed during this interview that would potentially limit my opportunity to get this job?"

Asking that shows that you care about getting the job and would be conscious of that in the future as something to change. Employers like people who are open to change and willing to listen to feedback.
1994 Grand Cherokee - Green Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy has a EK View Post
your just a dumb ass fuck this im done with these dumdasses!.
Prolific is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-01, 05:56 PM   #8
impaul4

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 22
Thanks (Received): 65
Likes (Given): 129
Likes (Received): 498
Dislikes (Given): 11
Dislikes (Received): 4

I asked this :

"Are there any reservations you have about my fit for the position that I could try to address?"

I asked this during my interview for the company I have an offer with after I graduate. It offers you a chance to reiterate maybe something you mis spoke about because of nerves or something. I've never had anyone say anything, but that questions could mean you moving on to the next round or nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EUPHORIC View Post
I guess people are doing anything for a quick buck these days. If I wanna vacuum my house butt naked while listening to Darude - Sandstorm with the blinds open, I should be able to without people OUTSIDE giving a fuck.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes speedysweetie liked this post
impaul4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-04, 10:28 PM   #9
88STANGGT

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 21
Thanks (Received): 74
Likes (Given): 169
Likes (Received): 504
Dislikes (Given): 6
Dislikes (Received): 21

On another planet, could you imagine how weird a telephone would look if your mouth was nowhere near your ears?